Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
#2583741 01/11/12 08:51 AM
M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Former MB success story.

Now I'm just ... defeated.

I had an emotional affair.

Started out as friendly chat messages that turned flirty, that turned into something near cyber/sexting I guess. Felt guilty and told my husband. Ended it.

Pretty much went downhill from there. Couldn't stop thinking about the way I felt when someone else wanted me.

I am still friends with the other person. Husband knows I am friends with him but doesn't know he is the one I had the (one-sided) EA with.

Hating life.

Not expecting sympathy here. Just saying ... I wasn't looking for it. I knew hubby and I had problems and I was trying to work on them but that was also a one-sided battle. This came at me out of nowhere. :l

mfal #2583745 01/11/12 08:59 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by mfal
Former MB success story.

Now I'm just ... defeated.

I had an emotional affair.

Started out as friendly chat messages that turned flirty, that turned into something near cyber/sexting I guess. Felt guilty and told my husband. Ended it.

Pretty much went downhill from there. Couldn't stop thinking about the way I felt when someone else wanted me.

I am still friends with the other person. Husband knows I am friends with him but doesn't know he is the one I had the (one-sided) EA with.

Hating life.

Not expecting sympathy here. Just saying ... I wasn't looking for it. I knew hubby and I had problems and I was trying to work on them but that was also a one-sided battle. This came at me out of nowhere. :l

Hi FMAL, welcome back to MB,

What was your former posting name? was there a previous thread? Were you engaged in an affair previously?

If you are a former MB success, you know that you must end contact for life. Write a no contact letter ASAP. It sounds as if you've never put EP's properly in place. Have you done that yet? You need to come completely clean with your H. You will never recover if there is still contact.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I came here at the end of my first marriage, years ago. No affairs, but it was too late; beyond saving. I used MB concepts to get thru my divorce sane, was single for a good while, and have been happily married to a great man for 5 years. He meets all of my needs, except for SF, and we have talked many, many, many times about that, to no avail.

I have done so much to try and get my husband's attention, in vain. I don't want anyone else. I WANT HIM to want me. But in the absence of that, I just can't shake off the "crush" on the OP. Guess it was more of a fling than an affair, not to downplay it but it was very brief and not very serious. It has been many months, and the memories just won't fade. I feel guilty because I know how much it hurt my husband to hear that I had sexual fantasies about another man.

I honestly cannot end all contact with the OP for reasons I can't really go into, but I assure you there is nothing coming from his side; it's just the memory of having someone WANT me that I am having a hard time filing away. He no longer sends messages of any kind of sexual nature. We see each other on a regular basis because of the group of people we are both associated with. It's not awkward, thankfully. This person is a friend, and in a group of close friends I simply cannot just walk away from.

Isn't it always complicated? :l

mfal #2583769 01/11/12 09:30 AM
M
M
I honestly cannot end all contact with the OP for reasons I can't really go into,

You are gravely mistaken.

but I assure you there is nothing coming from his side;

If you believe this, then you do not understand the Love Bank.

What was your former posting name?

How can we help you?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2583777 01/11/12 09:51 AM
M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M

I don't know HOW you can help, honestly. I can't figure out how to stop having lustful thoughts, memories of tempting things said.

This person is not just my friend and a friend of friends, but a friend of family and isn't just going away. It's up to ME to make the memories go away and I don't know how.

These texts were from almost a year ago now. I know I'm in the wrong for responding, back then, but when I felt very unwanted, was vulnerable, and someone came at me unexpectedly with very attractive offers of attention, I became addicted to the feeling. It was an intoxicating fantasy. But I felt so guilty about the thoughts, I had to end it and tell my husband. Had to. :l

Since then, I have been alone with this person, and nothing happened. I don't worry about anything happening in the future. I am comfortable being alone with him; there is no talk of those old messages. That said, I don't make it a habit to be alone with him... there are usually lots of other mutual friends around.

For him I think it was just a "for kicks" thing. We have talked many times about different women he likes. He is charming and outgoing and has lots of female company; I was just a brief blip on his radar. It had more of an effect on ME than I ever imagined it would.

I'm not worried about future involvement, only about refocusing on my husband, who I love very much and who has just become more detached since I came clean with my admission that I'd had these sexual conversations. Thought I was doing the right thing there, being honest, but it sure hasn't helped our sex life. For years I have come at the problem from all angles. His drive is simply ... faint.

I haven't been here in years; I don't remember the old username and password.

mfal #2583784 01/11/12 10:04 AM
H
H
Since then, I have been alone with this person, and nothing happened. I don't worry about anything happening in the future. I am comfortable being alone with him; there is no talk of those old messages. That said, I don't make it a habit to be alone with him... there are usually lots of other mutual friends around.

Very slippery slope you are treading here.

It IS possible to end all contact, you just have to do it. If some family member asks why, be honest. Your lustful thoughts are never going to end as long as you see this man. If you want your marriage to work, you will do what needs to be done.

Has you BH been to a doctor to discuss this issue. Could be low testosterone levels.

As far as him pulling further away, we choose the consequences when we choose the behavior.

BH-51
FWW-39
6 month EA
4 fantastic kids.
Happily Recovered
mfal #2583792 01/11/12 10:08 AM
A
A
mfal,

There are many ways MB can help you ---- if you listen and apply the principles.

1. Be honest with your husband. Right now, he is unaware of who your EA was with. Your continuing interactions with OM in front of your H is an insult to your H.

2. End ALL contact with OM. Never see or speak with him again. This is step one to implementation of MB. Your reluctance to ending contact shows you lack of commitment to your marriage and disregard for your husband's feelings. Your assertion that this is impossible is merely an excure. Of course, it is possible if you decide to never see or speak with OM again.

3. Expose your feelings to friends and family. It tells them WHY you cannot have contact with this OP.

4. Restore your marriage by building a romantic relationship with your husband. Use the MB program to meet each other's critical emotional needs and to avoid lovebusters.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
mfal #2583794 01/11/12 10:09 AM
M
M
Welcome back, mfal, I'm sorry to hear things aren't going well for you. But there are things you can do that will help.

You know the MB concepts, so you can argue your point forever and nothing will change: you have to be honest with your H, and you have to have NC with OM for life.

You confessed the conversations to your H, but you didn't disclose OM's identity. You need to tell your H who OM is.

I'm not worried about future involvement
This is at odds with something you said in your first post:
This came at me out of nowhere.
And that's how fast it can happen. So you absolutely SHOULD be worried about future involvement and should take the necessary precautions to ensure that there is no way it can happen again. That will only be ensured by NO CONTACT for life with OM.

Telling your H will serve a few purposes: he will understand why the two of you are no longer in contact with OM, and will be able to help you stay on the straight and narrow so you don't slip again.

I honestly cannot end all contact with the OP for reasons I can't really go into
We hear this a lot, and have never seen a situation where that is really the case. The only one I can imagine would be a poster who was conjoined physically with the OP and couldn't be surgically removed. And we haven't had any conjoined posters here that I'm aware of.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

hurtdad #2583802 01/11/12 10:18 AM
M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by hurtdad
Very slippery slope you are treading here.

I'm aware of this.

Has you BH been to a doctor to discuss this issue. Could be low testosterone levels.

I've asked him to, dozens of times.

As far as him pulling further away, we choose the consequences when we choose the behavior.

Thanks for emphasizing that my husbands lack of interest in me is my fault. I haven't felt that way for years or anything. :l

Sorry for the sarcasm, but its a touchy subject. I am attractive, fit and sexy. I never "let myself go" or nag. I am a damn good wife. I meet HIS needs. To heck with mine, eh?

I made a mistake. Plenty of men have expressed interest. Only once have I been so foolish as to let the conversation continue to the point where my errant thoughts became ... detailed.

It's not when I'm with or around the OP that I have these thoughts ... it is when I'm alone and sorely neglected. It's in the shower. It's in the bed alone while my DH is awake playing a computer game, but comes to bed "too tired" ... it's when I wake up next to my husband in the night wishing I'd had sex in the past month so I could freakin' sleep. :l

armymama #2583809 01/11/12 10:25 AM
M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by armymama
1. Be honest with your husband. Right now, he is unaware of who your EA was with. Your continuing interactions with OM in front of your H is an insult to your H.

There are times when I have considered this, but it would hurt other people. I don't see it being worth the collateral damage.

2. End ALL contact with OM. Never see or speak with him again. This is step one to implementation of MB. Your reluctance to ending contact shows you lack of commitment to your marriage and disregard for your husband's feelings. Your assertion that this is impossible is merely an excuse. Of course, it is possible if you decide to never see or speak with OM again.
3. Expose your feelings to friends and family. It tells them WHY you cannot have contact with this OP.

I'm sure you do hear it a lot, but the fact is we ARE going to be at the same places at the same time and no I cannot change that. Not without picking up and moving my entire extended family across the country. Seems a pretty lofty endeavor to deal with a few naughty thoughts.

4. Restore your marriage by building a romantic relationship with your husband. Use the MB program to meet each other's critical emotional needs and to avoid lovebusters.

This is what I'm trying. I need him on board. So far, not so good.

mfal #2583810 01/11/12 10:27 AM
M
M
Since then, I have been alone with this person, and nothing happened. I don't worry about anything happening in the future.

You don't understand. Something did happen. Your brain experiences a contrast effect when you are with this other person or even think about him. This is why things are not getting better for you.

Even if there is never a "resumption of the affair," your subconscious is still having one, whether you are aware of it or not.

This is why no contact is essential.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Welcome back, mfal, I'm sorry to hear things aren't going well for you.

Thank you.

You confessed the conversations to your H, but you didn't disclose OM's identity. You need to tell your H who OM is.

Because of the nature of our other friends and familys acquaintance with this person, I didn't think that would be a good idea. So I have already once denied to DH that it was him. I have been working at rebuilding trust with DH for so long, that the idea of admitting to that lie is ... intimidating.

And that's how fast it can happen. So you absolutely SHOULD be worried about future involvement and should take the necessary precautions to ensure that there is no way it can happen again. That will only be ensured by NO CONTACT for life with OM.

I do understand what you're saying.

Might I also say, that I've had lustful private thoughts about Johnny Depp, but haven't thrown out our DVD collection? I mean ... it's just ... it would be very, very difficult to erase all traces of this OP from our lives. Very.

We hear this a lot, and have never seen a situation where that is really the case. The only one I can imagine would be a poster who was conjoined physically with the OP and couldn't be surgically removed. And we haven't had any conjoined posters here that I'm aware of.

Thanks for the smile. They've been hard to come by lately. (:

markos #2583815 01/11/12 10:36 AM
M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by markos
You don't understand. Something did happen. Your brain experiences a contrast effect when you are with this other person or even think about him. This is why things are not getting better for you.

Even if there is never a "resumption of the affair," your subconscious is still having one, whether you are aware of it or not.

This is why no contact is essential.

Has there never been a case where the WW absolutely cannot reasonably commit to a "no contact" agreement and things get better?

I don't want a physical relationship with him.

I don't want an emotional relationship with him.

I just want to stop thinking about sex with anyone other than my husband. In fact, I'd really like to stop thinking about sex WITH my husband all the time, since it isn't happening. I'm 40 and I pretty much want sex all the time and with everybody. Okay, it's not quite that bad, but my sex drive is in HIGH and his is idling. Is there any way to focus on that little problem? :l

mfal #2583819 01/11/12 10:42 AM
M
M
I can't figure out how to stop having lustful thoughts, memories of tempting things said.

Here is the cause of the lustful thoughts and the memories:

Since then, I have been alone with this person, and nothing happened. I don't worry about anything happening in the future. I am comfortable being alone with him; there is no talk of those old messages.

You are causing this problem.

It is not true that "nothing happened." What happened is that love bank units were deposited. They are the very same love bank units many of us are using to turn our marriages around. They make gradual, imperceptible changes at first, until they have an effect. They inevitably build up, whether you are married to the person depositing them or not.

It's up to ME to make the memories go away and I don't know how.

You can't do it if you keep causing them. You'll have to stop causing them.

This person is not just my friend and a friend of friends, but a friend of family and isn't just going away.

This is not a reason to continue contact and keep the lust and memories going and ruin your marriage. Many people here have been in exactly that situation. Some people have had their spouses cheat with their own sibling. The solution in all cases is no contact with a former affair partner FOR LIFE.

There is no other way.

mfal #2583822 01/11/12 10:45 AM
M
M
Not without picking up and moving my entire extended family across the country.

Dr. Harley says most people who have had an affair have to move if they want to recover.

Seems a pretty lofty endeavor to deal with a few naughty thoughts.

"A few naughty thoughts" is a way to try to say that your affair isn't so bad.

You won't be able to solve the problem as long as you try to talk about it as if it is not really so bad.

mfal #2583825 01/11/12 10:53 AM
M
M
Has there never been a case where the WW absolutely cannot reasonably commit to a "no contact" agreement and things get better?

That is correct, there never has.

Dr. Harley has been a clinical psychologist for forty years with a specialty in infidelity. He says that recovery is an extremely narrow path. You can't modify the plan, or it won't work.

I just want to stop thinking about sex with anyone other than my husband. In fact, I'd really like to stop thinking about sex WITH my husband all the time, since it isn't happening. I'm 40 and I pretty much want sex all the time and with everybody. Okay, it's not quite that bad, but my sex drive is in HIGH and his is idling. Is there any way to focus on that little problem? :l

Yes, the tools to get the sex you need in marriage are here on this site, and we can help you and your husband get through them.

Trying to change your emotional needs is not really possible, and not productive.

mfal #2583826 01/11/12 10:55 AM
M
M
I mean ... it's just ... it would be very, very difficult to erase all traces of this OP from our lives. Very.

The fact that it is difficult means that you are hoping to find a way to make it possible without doing it, because you don't want to expend the effort to do something that is difficult.

You are worried your husband will not agree with this course of action. You have decided UNILATERALLY what plan of recovery you want to follow, without his input.

That kind of unilateral decision is not marriage.

markos #2583828 01/11/12 10:57 AM
M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by markos
"A few naughty thoughts" is a way to try to say that your affair isn't so bad.

You won't be able to solve the problem as long as you try to talk about it as if it is not really so bad.

Maybe emotional affair was the wrong way to put it. I had thoughts about a physical affair. I didn't ever want to leave my husband. I never dreamed of a new life with this person. I just thought about sex with someone else. And continue to think about it. Whether it is someone I know or not. Someone famous. Someone I saw in a commercial. The only difference is, this person once sent me sexual text messages. Not quite the same as my brother in law sending crude sexual jokes, but not a whole lot different either.

Can't go back and change what happened. Just want to move on. But I am not willing to leave behind my entire life here just because of some dirty fantasies. If it wasn't him, it would be someone else, as long as my needs are not being met. I'm not going to move every time I lust after someone I shouldn't.

Going back to step one and sharing the Basic Needs stuff with hubby... see if I can't get him to understand that neglecting my needs is not a great path to continue along. Thought what happened last spring would be a wake-up call.

mfal #2583831 01/11/12 10:58 AM
G
G
MFal,

If I am reading this correctly OM was not a passive participant who was unaware of your attraction to him. It is cruel to have this person in your husbands life acting like a friend when the OM knows he has you under his spell. Your attraction to this OM is eating away at the quality of your marriage like an acid.

God Bless
Gamma

mfal #2583832 01/11/12 11:00 AM
M
M
[

\

Of course not. It hasn't worked for you, has it? Contact has to be ended and everyone should know about your affair. Is this bum married too?

The first and only way to recover your marriage is to end all contact for life with the OM. There is no other way, because recovery is impossible unless you take this first step.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation