Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
mfal #2584318 01/12/12 12:39 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by mfal
Do you have anything constructive to add? No one else has been half as eager to make me feel worse. This is your opinion and all you will ever see me as. Doesn't make it true.

The truth is very constructive. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't contructive, it just means you are being dishonest with your self and are very uneasy with the truth. You don't like truth, for obvious reasons. You have ALOT to fear when it comes to truth. We are not one of your little "friends" who try to make you feel good about being bad. Its not our opinion that you are a suspectible to an affair, it is a fact. TWO affairs. We see you as you are. Keep in mind you are the LEAST objective person on this thread.

The problem for you is that you are on the wrong forum if you are here seeking validation to decieve your husband. No decent person will support you in being a liar. This is the wrong website for lying wayward wives.

People here want to help you do the right thing. But we won't help you be a liar and a cheat.

Ever read this by Dr Harley?

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
Should an affair be revealed?

I have been letting you in on some clues to infidelity when a spouse is unwilling to be truthful. But there are a few, of course, who are honest enough to tell their spouses about an affair without being confronted. Guilt sometimes sets in right after the first sexual encounter, and it continues to build as one lie is added to another. Depression follows guilt and it's not unusual for a wayward spouse to even consider suicide as a way to escape the nightmare he or she has created. As an act of desperation, honesty is sometimes seized as a last resort, often in an effort to relieve the feelings of guilt.

From my perspective, honesty is part of the solution to infidelity, and so I'll take honesty for whatever reason, even if it's to relieve a feeling of guilt and depression. The revelation of an affair is very hard on an unsuspecting spouse, of course, but at the same time, it's the first step toward marital reconciliation.

Most unfaithful spouses know that their affair is one of the most heartless acts they could ever inflict on their spouse. So one of their reasons to be dishonest is to protect their spouse from emotional pain. "Why add insult to injury," they reason. "What I did was wrong, but why put my spouse through needless pain by revealing this thoughtless act?" As is the case with bank robbers and murderers, unfaithful spouses don't think they will ever be discovered, and so they don't expect their unfaithfulness to hurt their spouse.

But I am one of the very few that advocate the revelation of affairs at all costs, even when the wayward spouse has no feelings of guilt or depression to overcome. I believe that honesty is so essential to the success of marriage, that hiding past infidelity makes a marriage dishonest, preventing emotional closeness and intimacy.

It isn't honesty that causes the pain, it's the affair. Honesty is simply revealing truth to the victim. Those who advocate dishonesty regarding infidelity assume that the truth will cause such irreparable harm, that it's in the best interest of a victimized spouse to go through life with the illusion of fidelity.

It's patronizing to think that a spouse cannot bear to hear the truth. Anyone who assumes that their spouse cannot handle truth is being incredibly disrespectful, manipulative and in the final analysis, dangerous. How little you must think of your spouse when you try to protect him or her from the truth.

It's not only patronizing, but it's also false to assume that your spouse cannot bear to hear the truth. Illusions do not make us happy, they cause us to wander through life, bumping into barriers that are invisible to us because of the illusion that is created. Truth, on the other hand, reveals those barriers, and sheds light on them so that we can see well enough to overcome them. The unsuspecting spouse of an unfaithful husband or wife wonders why their marriage is not more fulfilling and more intimate. Knowledge of an affair would make it clear why all efforts have failed.

After revealing an affair, your spouse will no longer trust you. But lack of trust does not ruin a marriage, it's the lack of care and protection that ruins marriages. Your spouse should not trust you, and the sooner your spouse realizes it, the better.
here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Viper #2584323 01/12/12 01:04 AM
K
K
The fact that this guy would have anything to do with you (a married woman) doesn't make him a great guy.

It means he thinks you are cheap and easy.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
mfal #2584344 01/12/12 05:33 AM
O
O
Originally Posted by OldWarHorse
Last time: your refusal to acknowledge the identity of your affair partner is cruel. It shows a complete disregard for your husband. Whether or not he talks to you about it, it hurts him terribly that you withhold this information from him.

I respect your opinion, and I'm sure you're right, but it is not the OP that I'm concerned with protecting. Like I said, I made a mistake. I would rather make up a fictional person than harm those this would harm. I would never forgive myself for that. My husband may one day forgive me for the sexting. That's minor compared to the other. I screwed up in a big way. Nothing illegal, but potentially damaging nonetheless.

Just. Wow!

"I'm sure you're right that every day I force my husband to live with my lies it hurts him terribly, and I'm okay with that! My self-preservation and preservation of the status quo with OM, and protecting him from the fall-out of our affair is much more important than protecting my husband. Gosh, if I could just figure out why hubby's so depressed and doesn't see me as a desirable woman. I'm so confused!"

This poster is a troll. She cannot possibly be serious.

N
N
How did the talk with your H go last night?

BW 36(Me)
WS 38
Married: 2000
DD1November 22 2008 - DD2 October 2014
PA Duration September 08 - November 08
Second discovery- 6 online affairs 4 sexual one emotional. October 2014.kids: DS 17, DS 14, DS 12, DS 10 . Baby after divorce DS 18months

Divorced

Was misled into thinking we were in recovery for 6 years.

If you were shocked reading any of this, that this is the consequence of not following MB to the LETTER.

NB28 #2584413 01/12/12 10:49 AM
M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M

Originally Posted by NB28
How did the talk with your H go last night?

Did not cover enough ground to make anyone here happy. I asked if my behavior made him feel like less of a man and was that why he didn't want me? He said no. I asked if there was anything I could do, like not going out with friends as often, that would help him to want me more? He said no, that he feels bad that he doesn't want to go out as often, but that it is all him, the unknown/untreated medical issues, the drugs he's on for other issues, etc. He has met and gets along with the girlfriends I hang with, and their husbands. It is a good group of people. He knows when I am with them, I am staying out of trouble. Avoiding single/divorcing friends, male friends, and of course the OP.

DH was sore and tired last night (like always) and so we didn't talk long, just snuggled and talked about how bad we need to get away, get out of town, have uninterrupted time without the kids, find something to do together, since we just haven't been getting the face-to-face time we need. We have a weekly movie date, but sitting next to each other facing the screen isn't bonding. When we go out to eat, the kids are usually right there, bickering. Working on that. I admitted feeling detached from him. We have both gone and done our own things all along, but the stuff we used to do together, we haven't been. Working on that too.

mfal #2584422 01/12/12 11:13 AM
M
M
You covered everything EXCEPT the truth. You are still LYING to your husband.

You are wasting valuable board time that could be spent on people who are serious about saving their marriages.

You are on the wrong board, Madam, if your goal is to continue to lie and decieve your husband.

This is not a support board for unrepentant waywards.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Do you have anything constructive to add? No one else has been half as eager to make me feel worse. This is your opinion and all you will ever see me as. Doesn't make it true.

The truth is very constructive. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't contructive, it just means you are being dishonest with your self and are very uneasy with the truth. You don't like truth, for obvious reasons. You have ALOT to fear when it comes to truth. We are not one of your little "friends" who try to make you feel good about being bad. Its not our opinion that you are a suspectible to an affair, it is a fact. TWO affairs. We see you as you are. Keep in mind you are the LEAST objective person on this thread.

The problem for you is that you are on the wrong forum if you are here seeking validation to decieve your husband. No decent person will support you in being a liar. This is the wrong website for lying wayward wives.

People here want to help you do the right thing. But we won't help you be a liar and a cheat.

Ever read this by Dr Harley?

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
Should an affair be revealed?

I have been letting you in on some clues to infidelity when a spouse is unwilling to be truthful. But there are a few, of course, who are honest enough to tell their spouses about an affair without being confronted. Guilt sometimes sets in right after the first sexual encounter, and it continues to build as one lie is added to another. Depression follows guilt and it's not unusual for a wayward spouse to even consider suicide as a way to escape the nightmare he or she has created. As an act of desperation, honesty is sometimes seized as a last resort, often in an effort to relieve the feelings of guilt.

From my perspective, honesty is part of the solution to infidelity, and so I'll take honesty for whatever reason, even if it's to relieve a feeling of guilt and depression. The revelation of an affair is very hard on an unsuspecting spouse, of course, but at the same time, it's the first step toward marital reconciliation.

Most unfaithful spouses know that their affair is one of the most heartless acts they could ever inflict on their spouse. So one of their reasons to be dishonest is to protect their spouse from emotional pain. "Why add insult to injury," they reason. "What I did was wrong, but why put my spouse through needless pain by revealing this thoughtless act?" As is the case with bank robbers and murderers, unfaithful spouses don't think they will ever be discovered, and so they don't expect their unfaithfulness to hurt their spouse.

But I am one of the very few that advocate the revelation of affairs at all costs, even when the wayward spouse has no feelings of guilt or depression to overcome. I believe that honesty is so essential to the success of marriage, that hiding past infidelity makes a marriage dishonest, preventing emotional closeness and intimacy.

It isn't honesty that causes the pain, it's the affair. Honesty is simply revealing truth to the victim. Those who advocate dishonesty regarding infidelity assume that the truth will cause such irreparable harm, that it's in the best interest of a victimized spouse to go through life with the illusion of fidelity.

It's patronizing to think that a spouse cannot bear to hear the truth. Anyone who assumes that their spouse cannot handle truth is being incredibly disrespectful, manipulative and in the final analysis, dangerous. How little you must think of your spouse when you try to protect him or her from the truth.

It's not only patronizing, but it's also false to assume that your spouse cannot bear to hear the truth. Illusions do not make us happy, they cause us to wander through life, bumping into barriers that are invisible to us because of the illusion that is created. Truth, on the other hand, reveals those barriers, and sheds light on them so that we can see well enough to overcome them. The unsuspecting spouse of an unfaithful husband or wife wonders why their marriage is not more fulfilling and more intimate. Knowledge of an affair would make it clear why all efforts have failed.

After revealing an affair, your spouse will no longer trust you. But lack of trust does not ruin a marriage, it's the lack of care and protection that ruins marriages. Your spouse should not trust you, and the sooner your spouse realizes it, the better.
here

Exposure 101

mfal #2584489 01/12/12 01:05 PM
J
J
We have both gone and done our own things all along,

No wonder your marriage is falling apart.

BH: 46
FWW: 44
3 DD: 20,17,11
Married 24 years
PA/EA: 5/08
DDay: 6/08
NC: 8/08
Previous EA 1998 confessed 8/08
In Recovery
Lexxxy #2584503 01/12/12 01:42 PM
M
M
I'm baffled. When you told your husband about the texts -- HE DIDN'T ASK YOU WHO IT WAS? What kind of guy doesn't want to know who is threatening his marriage? What kind of guy doesn't want to protect his wife?
A guy who got a watered-down, muddied version of the truth.

Something like "Honey, I did the nuttiest thing the other day -I was texting Joe Blow about a project at work. You remember Joe Blow - that really ugly, weird guy at work? And he made a comment that I turned into a sexual innuendo, so I texted one back to him. (insert pretty giggle here.) I felt so dumb after I did it! He never meant that at all, and I meant it as a joke, silly me."

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

mfal #2584504 01/12/12 01:49 PM
M
M
I do understand that. I never expected sympathy. But I feel I would be in a better position to receive help if I had simply gone to the main forum and asked about how I could possibly get my husband to start recognizing and meeting my emotional need for SF.
There is no forum on this site where the members are so irresponsible that they would advise you without understanding your whole situation.
Radical honesty has burned me many, many times. I have felt nothing but regret for telling him about the texts. It hurt more than it helped. But it had to be done.
Giving him your watered-down version of what really happened isn't radical honesty; far from it. It is being disengenuous. You told him just enough to try to make yourself feel better. Now he is left with confusion and unanswered questions. And a wayward liar for a wife.

Somehow I think radical honesty would have treated you both better.

D-Day 2-10-2009

mfal #2584506 01/12/12 01:59 PM
M
M
The sexting? Because it made me feel attractive. Something I was missing.
Huh. I've never considered sexting some man in order to feel 'attractive' to myself. Going to the salon and getting a trim and highlights would be more my speed.

OH! Wait a minute! Now I realize what you're really saying and what your goal really is. May I?
The sexting? Because it made me feel attractive to other men . Something I was missing.

D-Day 2-10-2009

mfal #2584510 01/12/12 02:17 PM
M
M
And everyone cheerfully skipped over the part where I mentioned that he flirts too. My girlfriends flirt with him. His female friends flirt with him. I don't have a problem with it because I know he's attractive and I know he's mine.
We've already told you that flirting while married is dangerous. Flirting is a covert form of courtship. Why are you attempting to court someone while you're married?? crazy No one has 'cheerfully' skipped that part. If your H was posting here, we would advise him the same way. Stop trying to divert the discussion from yourself.
If he has a problem with his friends flirting with me, or me flirting with his friends, or with my female friends (in fun) then he has a responsibility of telling me that. Because in ten years, he hasn't.
The sorry thing is that he has always believed (like you) that flirting is 'harmless'.

I don't have a problem with it because I know he's attractive and I know he's mine.
Now that you have learned from your own experience of infidelity by your sexting, are you still of the same belief that flirting is harmless?

Do you still believe that it is okay for your husband (who is not interested in you sexually, btw) to continue to flirt with your friends?

Final question on the flirting issue: Do either of you flirt with your family members? Do you flirt with your mother or sister? Does he flirt with his father or brother? I know your answer will be 'no'. So why do you suppose the two of you only flirt with unrelated members of the opposite sex? Can you begin to see why flirting while married is a dangerous form of courtship, when you look at it this way?

D-Day 2-10-2009

mfal #2584512 01/12/12 02:20 PM
M
M
I would rather make up a fictional person than harm those this would harm accept the responsibility and consequences for what I've done.
There. I fixed that for you.

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
mfal Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Y'all have fun editing my posts to say what you think they mean. No point in replying to those who have rewritten history to suit their arguments. I will only respond to those who seem to have an interest in recovery for my husband and for me. I've taken the first steps. I know it will be a long road.

Maybe he has cheated on me. That has crossed my mind many, many times, with the lack of interest issue. We had a couple of 'friends' that we are no longer friends with and do not see or talk to, that were telling us that the other was cheating. The wife would tell me DH was cheating, the husband would tell me DH was cheating, and they would both tell DH that I was. It got worse. They started telling friends of DH that I was cheating. I don't know what they told people about DH, just what I learned they were saying about me. We discovered what was happening, and ditched those people. But the thoughts they planted in our heads about the other won't go away.

If he was doing any of the things I was told he was, well, I would be upset, but I wouldn't want a divorce. He knows about the sexting and doesn't want a divorce. He wants to work it out, just like I do.

Do you know how hard it is to avoid someone who is on TV and radio? I can block phone numbers and email addresses, but I can't stop the face or voice from reaching me. That's why moving would be pointless. Anyway. Back to recovery.

mfal #2584534 01/12/12 04:00 PM
M
M
We had a couple of 'friends' that we are no longer friends with and do not see or talk to, that were telling us that the other was cheating.
redflag So, instead of following up on those red flags, you and your H just dumped the news-bearers? dontknow

Do you know how hard it is to avoid someone who is on TV and radio? I can block phone numbers and email addresses, but I can't stop the face or voice from reaching me. That's why moving would be pointless. Anyway. Back to recovery.
It's not hard to avoid someone on TV or radio. You don't go there. You don't watch the shows they're on. If it's someone who pops up during commercials, you don't watch TV. You rent movies or watch DVDs.

You don't listen to the stations they're on. If they're a popular singer, you don't listen to the radio. You listen to CDs instead.

Anyway. Back to recovery.
You can't get to recovery by skipping the NC step. I believe you've already been told that, but I'll repost that anyway. That's the first step in recovering the marriage.

D-Day 2-10-2009

mfal #2584538 01/12/12 04:07 PM
S
S
Do you know how hard it is to avoid someone who is on TV and radio

Unless he is doing commercials..which I suspect he is..just don't watch or change the station.
You have got to be one of the most stubborn women I have seen on here...fine..that's your perogative.

However..it is not wise to come on here, ask for advice and give rebuttals to the ones you feel are not you or your situation..
You will never get anywhere if you only choose advice you like.
It is the advice that stings that usually helps the most.
This is your second time here..besides giving long winded posts of defense..try doing what is suggested.

mfal #2584546 01/12/12 04:19 PM
G
G
I've never had a friend closer than my husband before we started to have these problems with SF. Talking to him about it seemed to fall on deaf ears. This friend is a mutual friend of ours, his friend before she became mine. There is always more to the story, and it would hurt other people more than it would help if this person's identity were discovered. I messed up, but I don't have to mess up a bunch of other people's lives just to try and salvage my marriage. I would honestly rather it ended than to hurt the people who would be hurt. No one wants that.

My mistake; my burden.

Umm, did everyone else miss this? She?

OM is really an OW and maybe that's why she doesn't want to expose?

M
M
GP, I think the 'she' mfal is referring to is a mutual female friend of hers and her husband's. The mutual friend is the one mfal confided the affair to, she's not the affair partner.

D-Day 2-10-2009

mfal #2584550 01/12/12 04:24 PM
C
C
Maybe he has cheated on me. That has crossed my mind many, many times, with the lack of interest issue. We had a couple of 'friends' that we are no longer friends with and do not see or talk to, that were telling us that the other was cheating. The wife would tell me DH was cheating, the husband would tell me DH was cheating, and they would both tell DH that I was. It got worse. They started telling friends of DH that I was cheating. I don't know what they told people about DH, just what I learned they were saying about me. We discovered what was happening, and ditched those people. But the thoughts they planted in our heads about the other won't go away.

If he was doing any of the things I was told he was, well, I would be upset, but I wouldn't want a divorce. He knows about the sexting and doesn't want a divorce. He wants to work it out, just like I do.

Having gone through this on my end, I can honestly say if you were to ever find out, you may change your mind. I swore before I found out if I ever found my wife cheating, I was gone. Period... now I found out and discovered she was all I wanted. You may find the opposite in your case. Many do.

But I see a problem in what you wrote. There is a hidden flippancy here that peeps its head out now and again. It comes across as "it ain't that bad, it's just sex (sexting, etc..)".

It comes out as someone who just doesn't think it's that bad and life was good (except for sex with H) before I started feeling bad about it (the affair).

Am I wrong?

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
mfal #2584551 01/12/12 04:25 PM
M
M
Do you know how hard it is to avoid someone who is on TV and radio?

Ehm, it's easy. There tends to be a little button on radios and TVs, and this magically switches them off!

Get yourself an iPod or other mp3 device to listen to music, and get some DVDs.

Good lord woman, you need to work on your priorities; you are making mountains out of molehills and vice versa!

Me, BS, 35
J, WS, 33
12 years together, married 2.
No kids, just cats
D-day 06/30/11
In Plan B

"If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 594 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation