Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
OP Offline
M
Sorry to hear of your post holiday blues Aphelion! .. I think its an epidemic!

As for your photos .. They look great! I too am in need of some sunshine. I live in the lower "rain"land (translated to lower mainland) and its been raining here for weeks now frown its very depressing. 200mm+ of rain last week and its still raining. Hard to go out and get any good pics with weather like this.

Maybe I will drum up some of my sunny pics too .. from the previous warm weather that has since passed by in recent months.

MNG

H
H
We don't have those issues here on the East side of the Cascades... must be horrible, all that rain.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
S
Wow. Have a look at these. Britain in winter. I bet you wish you were here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2087332/Snow-way-cold-snap-brings-winter-weather-UK.html

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Oh Sugarcane, this makes me want to visit even more.

So this is where our cold weather went? It's raining today and washing away all the snow we had on Friday for our first snowfall of the season.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
A
A
Beautiful.

I�d wish I was there, but we have our own new snow here. About three inches so far and up to a foot in the 24 hr forecast. It�s nice. Most everyone stays home so work is quiet and peaceful for those of us not afeared of driving in it. Fantastic bright yellow sunset with beautiful alpenglow going on right now.

I think I will try to find some old pictures I have of an ice storm that came through here one night about 15 years ago. Everything got coated with a quarter inch or more of clear ice. When the sun rose the next morning it was as if we were living in a crystalline world. Except for the 10 inch diameter branch that broke off a 100 ft tree in the back yard and came through the roof and speared the kitchen table it was a beautiful day.

The Eastbourne beach picture reminds me of a month I spent near Blackpool in the late 80�s working on an RAF program. It was always cold and windy but people were laying around on the beach just like in that picture anyway. I thought they were nuts.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
H
H
Yup yup. Western WA is getting plowed. Not usual.

If you are referring to the winter of '96, Aph, it was a crazy one for sure.

After Christmas I drove from here to San Diego with my brother, and the traffic signs in the Gorge had foot long sideways icicles on them, with an inch or two of ice coating them, to boot.

It was a rather... interesting winter.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

N
N
Sug, those pictures of the atypical "deep freeze" in Ol' Blighty are actually very similar to pictures from some of the USA's COLDER areas as late as May, or as early as September! I'm thinking of the frozen tundras of OKLAHOMA, for example! (But don't tell Uno Who!)

A
A
I definitly remember. This entire end of the county was without power for five days. The following summer is when I installed the emergency generator. We�ve needed it a dozen times since too.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
M
M
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
I'm thinking of the frozen tundras of OKLAHOMA, for example! (But don't tell Uno Who!)

TEEF

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Originally Posted by Aphelion
The Eastbourne beach picture reminds me of a month I spent near Blackpool in the late 80�s working on an RAF program. It was always cold and windy but people were laying around on the beach just like in that picture anyway. I thought they were nuts.
We Brits think that it is normal to lie on the beach in warm clothing and take an umbrella to a barbecue. If we waited for good weather we'd never enjoy our great outdoors!

A British picnic is a triumph of stoicism and mind over matter.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Sug, those pictures of the atypical "deep freeze" in Ol' Blighty are actually very similar to pictures from some of the USA's COLDER areas as late as May, or as early as September! I'm thinking of the frozen tundras of OKLAHOMA, for example! (But don't tell Uno Who!)
I won't say a word.

But we don't typically have hard winters and deep freezes - or perhaps they do in parts of Scotland, but not in England and Wales. Those pictures don't really show a deep freeze; they show the first frost that looks like fairy dust. We do winter the way we do everything else; with understatement.

What is lovely to me about those pictures is not just the white, but the landscape still showing through. We do have beautiful countryside with all its peaks, lochs, highlands and gently rolling hills.

Y'all need to get over here and see!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
N
N
Y'all need to get over here and see!

Been there, my dear friend! The only nation of your isles I have not toured is Wales! (How do you think I knew - so long ago - about Marmite and warm beer?)

S
S
I don't think you told us about this, did you?

When did you come? Where did you go? How long did you stay? What did you think of it? DId you go to Ireland? I haven't been there, and I'm told it's beautiful and wet.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
H
H
Originally Posted by Aphelion
I definitly remember. This entire end of the county was without power for five days. The following summer is when I installed the emergency generator. We�ve needed it a dozen times since too.

I actually missed out on the worst of it, as I was hanging in sunny Southern CA, which was nice enough to be walking around wearing shorts (though, when I was 12 we were down there for a record cold winter).

There were floods all over Northern CA, Reno, NV had flooded, and the pass on the way home was closed due to mudslides. One of our local bowling alleys collapsed under the ice sheets, as well as several other businesses, and plenty of homes.

Nasty, nasty winter.

N
N
Ireland is the most beautiful land I've ever seen! (And yes, among the wettest!) Get to the west, Sugar, from Kerry (where my Mother's family came from - Kenmare) all the way up to the Connemara region of Galway! If things were to break right, bride and I would seriously consider re-locating to Clifden!
[Linked Image from europeantraveler.net]

Spent ten days touring England (really, the south) a looooong time ago. Spent just over a week in Scotland in 2002.

And don't you ever sleep?

S
S
I wanna go I wanna go.

I feel like a fraud calling myself "Scotland" when I have never been. Although, my father and grandparents were born there, so I have a kinship to it. And I read Highland romance novels, does that count? HEHEHEHEHE

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
N
N
So....GO!

Your namesake countyside is beautiful in a different way from Ireland, Scotty. Less lush(?), but more striking because of the dramatic changes in elevation. (Ireland, after all, is really a big "bowl" with the center generally lower than the edges. Hence, its "boggy" reputation.)

Get to the north, and west, especially the islands off the western coast. (The one exception would be that Edinburgh is a GREAT town, for anyone with a smidgeon of interest in history, or during the August Tattoo, so you have to visit.)

Loch Lomond is a jewel set among the hills north of Glasgow that MUST be seen by boat. A sharp eye, guided by a knowledgeable local, can still detect part of the 18th century cattle trail used by the drovers/rustlers like the historical Rob Roy.
[Linked Image from freefoto.com]

And monster or no monster, why would you want to never see Loch Ness?
[Linked Image from media-cdn.tripadvisor.com]

I won't even mention the educational benefits of learning the subtle differences among the single malt whiskies, Oban being my personal favorite!

S
S
And don't you ever sleep?
I do sleep! I slept until nearly midday yesterday (when I wrote that post), so that is why I was up so late last night.

Okay - you tortured the truth out of me. I can't take this persisitent questioning. I confess. I didn't sleep that morning. There was a hot man in my bed at THAT is why I didn't get up 'til midday.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
P
P
Loch Lomond looks a lot like a Lexington Reservoir in the Santa Cruz mountains. (Just up the road a piece)

[Linked Image from princeofpinot.com]

S
S
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Loch Lomond looks a lot like a Lexington Reservoir in the Santa Cruz mountains. (Just up the road a piece)
I've been to both, and it really doesn't (I think).

Loch Lomond has heathery, heathy, moorland scenery that is different in colour and texture from the desert shrubs of California. They are both gorgeous, though.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation