Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2588445 01/21/12 11:47 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I'm reading the obsessive crush thread in the divorced/divorcing forum. Apparently I have this problem. Thankfully my crush is legal. My question is: Is it normal to be obsessive about your first crush right out of the gate? Should I try to kill it? Should I just let it play out?

I keep checking FB and it's driving me crazy. He likes most everything I post and since he's been busy he hasn't really commented/liked much of anyone else's stuff. I'm trying NOT to read anything into it. He told me he would be busy for the next 6 months or so and he wouldn't have much time for communication. I'm willing to wait and see what happens because I like him that much. Is that stupid?

He hasn't been on FB for over 24 hours which is unusual and I have actually wondered if he's avoiding me. How crazy is that line of thinking when he likes or comments on most of my posts? And if he is ... what difference does it make? What the heck is wrong with me? Yesterday was a good day. I was resolved to just enjoy life and not focus on him or anyone else. Today, not so good day. I don't understand the difference in a day.

I had a (guy) friend tell me to just date around and don't be too focused on this one person. I'm just not equipped to that line of thought. And this one person has trust issues because his ex cheated on him BEFORE they even married and all through the marriage with the same person (he didn't know until the day he left her). One thing I am is trustworthy and loyal. In my marriage if a man flirted with me, I would go the other direction.

What I'm saying is, if I did go out with someone (even just as friends) and he found out, he would probably never stop to find out my reasoning behind it. He would totally write us off. I had that happen before I married. I liked this one guy TOO much so I went out with another guy trying to keep myself from falling for the first guy. The first guy found out and reciprocated by going out with another girl and never asking me again.

I'm sorry to keep dragging this up but my emotions are CRAZY right now. It's not that I think I HAVE to have this person in my life, it's the what ifs of it because there are so many things I like about him even though there are more differences than likes. I think if I could get closure (either that it *might* turn into something or that it will *never* turn into something) I would be good with it. It's the not knowing that's driving me insane. I remember doing this in my marriage. So many things didn't add up and I would go back and forth trying to figure it out. One day I would be like Priss, you are worrying for nothing and the next day I would be like a mad person worrying all day long.

In the long run, I know this is all crazy talk. lol

Me (BS): 41
Ex (lying cheating piece of dirt): 43
Kids: 12 DD, 6 DS
Married 17 years
I filed: 9/25/10
Divorce final: 10/4/11
He remarried: 10/15/11

My current status: Healing a little more every day!
prissanna #2588454 01/21/12 12:01 PM
M
M
I think it's pretty normal to obsess over a crush. I think it's part of the definition of a crush, actually. smile

Pris, you've only been divorced for a couple of months. You might want to consider letting the dust settle a little bit before you start getting emotionally invested in anyone.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

maritalbliss #2588462 01/21/12 12:15 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
I think it's pretty normal to obsess over a crush. I think it's part of the definition of a crush, actually. smile

Pris, you've only been divorced for a couple of months. You might want to consider letting the dust settle a little bit before you start getting emotionally invested in anyone.

I totally agree but how the heck do you keep yourself from doing that? I basically just have fun on FB and there are a few single guys there that I comment with and have fun with and I enjoy that but I'm not interested really. I just want to have fun. Fun with my crush. Fun with other ppl. I don't want to obsess or wonder the what ifs. I don't want to care if he's been on FB or not. Why can't I do this? I was planning on NOT going to FB for a few days but I enjoy FB and I shouldn't let someone (even though not intentional) drive me away right? I'm trying to learn self-control but so far I haven't learned a thing. I don't want to be a FB stalker. faint

Married 17 years

prissanna #2588474 01/21/12 12:39 PM
K
K
priss, if this guy has told you that he's too busy for you for the next six months, then he has stated his intentions. If he is so shy/unmotivated/whatever that he will lose interest in you just because you go out on a casual date with another man, then he doesn't deserve you.

Now having said that....your divorce was final a little more than 3 months ago. You're probably not ready to date yet. I have heard and read a lot of theories about how long it takes to recover from a divorce. Some people say it takes a year, some say a year for every 10 years of marriage, and in DivorceCare they say a year for every 4 years of marriage.

For me, it has been almost a year since the divorce was final, and I have been separated from my ex-husband since Aug of '09. In the last couple of months I have started feeling like myself again. I have more energy and I'm basically happy with my life now.

I'd suggest that you set yourself a time to start dating and plan to NOT date at all before then. That's what I did, and I found that those fleeting crushes were not as obsessive because I had committed to not dating yet.

A lot of people end up in very painful rebound relationships because they started dating when they were feeling emotionally needy. You can't bring your best self to a new relationship when you're still getting over the last one. Heck, I know somebody who married the rebound person. His second divorce was recently final.

Me: BS 51
Himself: WH 53, EA/PA w/ RunnerSlut his "running buddy."
Buncha' kids. The two youngest are still minors.
Separated: 08/13/09 after 25 years of marriage
Plan D: Filed 11/13/09 Final 3/30/11
MC told me that he probably has a personality disorder
prissanna #2588475 01/21/12 12:39 PM
M
M
You can block him, although it sounds as if you don't want to do that.

D-Day 2-10-2009

prissanna #2588483 01/21/12 12:47 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by prissanna
My question is: Is it normal to be obsessive about your first crush right out of the gate? Should I try to kill it? Should I just let it play out?

Yeah, it's probably normal.

Should you kill normal?
I donno.
Does having this crush bother you in any way?
It's basically a fantasy.
A series of "what if?" thoughts.
Thinking about him does not mean you ought to/need to do anything about inviting him into your life.

In fact, I advise you not to.
You're way to raw and "confused", as you admit.

hug

You're such a sweetie!

maritalbliss #2588486 01/21/12 12:54 PM
P
OP Offline
P
It really helps to talk these things out. I feel better just getting the info out there and out of my head. I know I'm not ready to date but I don't think I'm ready for a crush either. I just don't know how to keep it from happening.

It all came about too fast and he came to see me the same week we started talking. He was THAT interested and he was starting school the next week so I'm assuming he was afraid he wouldn't know if we didn't go ahead and meet. We had agreed to take it slow but that wasn't the case. *hand to head* He had been praying for God to send the right person in his life. I had been praying similar although I wasn't expecting it to happen right now. He would talk himself in and out of meeting up. He talked about moving back here and long term things. It all just went too fast and now I'm in an emotional mess wondering what if. lol

He is a cousin of a cousin.

Married 17 years

prissanna #2588492 01/21/12 12:59 PM
P
P
I just don't know how to keep it from happening.

[Linked Image from c69282.r82.cf3.rackcdn.com]

Pepperband #2588526 01/21/12 01:57 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Pepperband
My question is: Is it normal to be obsessive about your first crush right out of the gate? Should I try to kill it? Should I just let it play out?

Yeah, it's probably normal.

Should you kill normal?
I donno.
Does having this crush bother you in any way?
It's basically a fantasy.
A series of "what if?" thoughts.
Thinking about him does not mean you ought to/need to do anything about inviting him into your life.

In fact, I advise you not to.
You're way to raw and "confused", as you admit.

hug

You're such a sweetie!

I would be so fine with this crush if I could quit obsessing about it and wondering where it could go. I wish I wasn't a focused person you know? The rational part of me says I'm CRAZY but there is that romantic part that says awwww ... it 'could' work.

So I need to keep this bag over my head 24/7? That MIGHT work.

Married 17 years

prissanna #2588563 01/21/12 04:02 PM
K
K
I wouldn't be so available to him. It'd be good to learn NOT to fixate. You want something so much that it could cost you. Try to get a grip by spending more time with GFs, take a class, volunteer your time, etc. Get yourself busy enough you don't have so much time for crushing.

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
KayC #2588611 01/21/12 06:44 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I think I've figured it out. I feel like an idiot for having this crush and thinking it 'could' be more. Not that he really knows how I feel or anything. Ya'll are the only ones besides my BFF that really knows how I've obsessed over it. Still I feel like a complete fool. *sigh*

And it feels somewhat like rejection (see that thread) I suppose. I've had enough of being made to feel like crap and I don't need any more.

By saying make myself less available do you mean stay away from FB? I don't do anything but change my status, make comments, and like things. I don't go there JUST for him and I enjoy FB so ... should I give that up because I have a crush? He has no clue. I don't comment or like any of his posts unless he has done so to many of mine. I truly JUST want to see him as a friend and nothing more.

Last edited by prissanna; 01/21/12 06:52 PM.

Married 17 years

prissanna #2588612 01/21/12 06:58 PM
M
M
And it feels somewhat like rejection (see that thread) I suppose. I've had enough of being made to feel like crap and I don't need any more.
This makes no sense, Pris. You're equating rejection with a guy you have no relationship with. You are predicating your feelings on this, and that isn't healthy for you.

Please consider blocking this guy while you heal from your divorce. You are very emotionally vulnerable right now.

D-Day 2-10-2009

prissanna #2588618 01/21/12 07:29 PM
K
K
I didn't know the extent to which you had contact with him when I said to consider making yourself less available to him. It seems it's not his responses that are bothering you, it's your own feelings. If it helps, you could unfriend him, that might stop your fantasies, but if you can handle being superficial friends on FB and it doesn't hurt you, then no need to go that far. I guess you are the best one to determine what you need to do.

I don't see any need for you to feel embarrassed, you are just speaking openly to us about what you are feeling and going through, and it's not like we haven't been through it to some degree at some time or another. It's natural and normal to want someone to love you. It can be hurtful when it's one sided or not healthy. Maybe that's why I don't even date any more...there's nothing wrong with dating, I just don't feel like all the complexities, etc. I just enjoy the break from emotion and drama and I'm okay being just me. I have a son getting married and I look forward to grandchildren. I have friends and enjoy their company. If I ever meet a Mr. Wonderful there's always time to reconsider...so far, haven't met him. The only Mr. Wonderful I've met is my late husband.

maritalbliss #2588629 01/21/12 07:48 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
This makes no sense, Pris. You're equating rejection with a guy you have no relationship with. You are predicating your feelings on this, and that isn't healthy for you.

I totally agree. Hence the confusion I am having.

I'm going to think about blocking him but I REALLY want to work through this without having to do so. I suppose I'm saying I want to become stronger even while seeing his pretty little face rotflmao on FB you know? See if I can stop the obsession and just roll with it.

Married 17 years

KayC #2588637 01/21/12 07:58 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by kaycstamper
I didn't know the extent to which you had contact with him when I said to consider making yourself less available to him. It seems it's not his responses that are bothering you, it's your own feelings.

Yeah, that and I start worrying if he isn't commenting/liking/etc. that he's 'hiding' from me. Not that he knows I'm stalking. doh2 It's just ALL in my mind. I tell you my ex did a number on me and I have NO confidence in myself whatsoever. I second guess everything I say/do.

This is probably dumb too but it's like if it's in my mind, everyone knows what I'm thinking. How crazy is that?

I don't see any need for you to feel embarrassed, you are just speaking openly to us about what you are feeling and going through, and it's not like we haven't been through it to some degree at some time or another. It's natural and normal to want someone to love you. It can be hurtful when it's one sided or not healthy.

Thank you so much for saying this. I need to know I'm 'normal' on an hourly basis. Where's that huggy smile when you need it? My BFF had an emotional affair with a guy several years ago. She said she got to the point where she would stare at his cell number on her phone and 'accidentally' text him a blank text just so he would respond. That let's me know wanting to be loved and having these feelings I'm having are fairly normal. Thankfully I haven't done anything like that. I would probably have to be put in a padded room from embarrassment.

Maybe that's why I don't even date any more...there's nothing wrong with dating, I just don't feel like all the complexities, etc. I just enjoy the break from emotion and drama and I'm okay being just me. I have a son getting married and I look forward to grandchildren. I have friends and enjoy their company. If I ever meet a Mr. Wonderful there's always time to reconsider...so far, haven't met him. The only Mr. Wonderful I've met is my late husband.

I suppose that's what is confusing to me. I enjoy my life. I even like just staying home and piddling. So why do I feel the need to connect with a man? Why? I have enough sense to know I'm not ready so why? I have enough sense to know there are worse things than being lonely. I just never thought I would have all these emotions.

I truly appreciate ya'll listening to me babble.

Married 17 years

prissanna #2588640 01/21/12 08:10 PM
M
M
I'm going to think about blocking him but I REALLY want to work through this without having to do so. I suppose I'm saying I want to become stronger even while seeing his pretty little face on FB you know? See if I can stop the obsession and just roll with it.

The problem, as I see it, is that you WANT a relationship with him. That will preclude you from blocking him.

I stay with my original suggestion. Heal yourself first. Dating comes later. Protect your heart, sweetie.

"Just rolling with it" tells me that you want to pursue this guy and pretend that you have no control over your actions. I think you need to conduct yourself with a semblance of control in this case, as a measure of protection for yourself.

D-Day 2-10-2009

prissanna #2588644 01/21/12 08:46 PM
K
K
So why do I feel the need to connect with a man? Why?

Because you crave outside validation...hence the need to work on your self esteem. You already know what a wonderful woman you are. You just need to OWN it!

KayC #2588685 01/21/12 11:53 PM
S
S
Crush,

I think you can just block his updates from your page without defriending,

brace yourself,
pull up his page ( try not to look at his face!!!)
chick on subscribe
change his feed settings

I sorry your crushing, don't have a cure for that one. WAY better than dealing with a WS though rotflmao

Closest thing to a cure I know of is to get busy, like others have suggested.

SC

Me BS 54
XWW 51 Divorce final 1/9/12
DS26 DS24 Twin DD's22 Married 29years
D-dates No1 01/2007, No2 08/2008(ongoing)
stillcommitted #2588693 01/22/12 12:12 AM
K
K
Thanks for letting us know that! I went to their wall, subscribe pull down menu, check unsubscribe. Now maybe I'll have peace and quiet from a couple of usurpers I didn't want to defriend, cool!

KayC #2589093 01/23/12 10:12 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by kaycstamper
So why do I feel the need to connect with a man? Why?

Because you crave outside validation...hence the need to work on your self esteem. You already know what a wonderful woman you are. You just need to OWN it!

Thanks Kay! I'm at the depression stage in my Divorce Care emails and it has really helped me to realize my losses and work on them individually. Right now I'm working on being happy with my life as it is and knowing that, like you said, I am a good person and learn to OWN IT. Who cares if I have a partner? Who cares what other ppl think? I have a good life now. I can do what I want. I am queen of the remote (for once in my life). I don't have to answer to anyone but God. Etc.

Thank all of you for your patience.

Married 17 years

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 614 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation