Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TheRoad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have seen where a lot of affairs ended the next day after a thorough exposure.

Thing is I can't seem to remember what amount of time range does it take for exposure to work nost of the times.

L
L
How do you define "work"?

My opinion is that exposure does its job IMMEDIATELY.

V
V
I would imagine (the majority of the time anyway) the length of time is directly proportionate to just how thorough the exposure was.

Every man I meet is in some way my superior; and in that I can learn of him.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

M
M
As soon as the WS is angry after getting feedback of your exposure .. its working. So I agree .. pretty much right away it begins to work.

*shrugs*

G
G
TheRoad,

The other side of the coin, is that for the BS it almost immediately removes the burden of working to keep their suffering a secret. The BS no longer has to use euphemisms like "we are having problems", etc.

God Bless
Gamma

V
V
Originally Posted by Lexxxy
How do you define "work"?

My opinion is that exposure does its job IMMEDIATELY.
I may have taken the ? the wrong way. I assumed he meant length of TIME to "successfully" bust up an affair

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

M
M
Dr. Harley states on average an affair will die naturally 6 months after exposure.

I agree Exposure starts the process immediately because the affair bubble now has a huge hole in it.

I have see adultery die the minute it was exposed.

In my case the EXPOSURE was the key to busting up the affair. She dumped him, and the military made it clear they are not allowed to date while WH is still married.

The issue with my wayward is he firmly believes he can win her back. He isn't ready to give her up and is setting his life up to win her back after his divorce is going to go through. He is still madly in love with her and isn't ready to let her go. They have regular contact as friends and the last time I discussed this with my WH he admitted his plans.

G
GJM Offline
G
Originally Posted by PrayIncessantly
Dr. Harley states on average an affair will die naturally 6 months after exposure.

I agree Exposure starts the process immediately because the affair bubble now has a huge hole in it.

In my case the EXPOSURE was the key to busting up the affair. She dumped him, and the military made it clear they are not allowed to date while WH is still married.

The issue with my wayward is he firmly believes he can win her back. He isn't ready to give her up and is setting his life up to win her back after his divorce is going to go through. He is still madly in love with her and isn't ready to let her go. They have regular contact as friends and the last time I discussed this with my WH he admitted his plans.

You should have his command put a no contact order on him so they can't talk as friends. Sorry, not trying to t/j.

Me: BH 36
Her: WW 34
Kids: D 14, S 12, S 9
DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
Filed for D 10/2011-Papers Served 11/2011
Divorce final May 24, 2012
My Story

S
S
For the BS, the exposure works immediately. It helps them gain the support that they need, while giving them the peace of mind that the APs can't spin it as a lurve story.

AS far as how long it takes to help bust up the A, that depends on what the people who were exposed to do.

It's the first best step to help bust up the affair, and as such should ALWAYS be done, quickly and as widely as possible.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
T
TheRoad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by PrayIncessantly

The answer I was looking for how long does exposure take to end an affair. Thanks for the doc H reference of 6 months.

Last edited by TheRoad; 02/14/12 08:27 PM.
M
M
Dr Harley says that those affairs that don't end immediately upon exposure usually die within 2 years of exposure. There is no answer to the question "how long does exposure take to work." Some die immediately, some die in 6 months, some die in 2 years, etc, etc.....

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

T
T
I would say exposure works immediately, no matter what the end result. At least the adulterers won't be pulling the wool over anyone's eyes. Shame on them.

BH(Me)=40
WXW=38
ILYBNILWY: 8/09
DDAY: 8/31/09
Two boys: 8,7
Divorced 3/23/2011

Don't let your eyes refuse to see. Don't let your ears refuse to hear. Or you ain't never gonna shake this sense of sadness. --Ray Lamontagne
M
M
My personal observation is that exposure kills affairs within a week about 50% of the time. The variables that seem to weaken/impede exposure's impact are:

1. waiting too long to expose

2. doing a trickle exposure [a disaster]

3. enabling

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

T
TheRoad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
My personal observation is that exposure kills affairs within a week about 50% of the time. The variables that seem to weaken/impede exposure's impact are:

1. waiting too long to expose

2. doing a trickle exposure [a disaster]

3. enabling

This 50% fiqure is what I was looking for. Thanks.

V
V
Gotta ask Road, was this particular question motivated by any particular present thread on the board? I think you know where I'm headed with this, which is why I responded initially the way I did.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
TheRoad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
TigerWes, no because there has always been BS's trying to get through past exposure watching the clock tick waiting for exposure to be the silver bullet.

As when a poster asks about HB, or when one enters the anger phase, or best to not make important decisions about divorce or recovery for 6 months after dday, that most affair last two years then die on usually die on their own.

My memory could not put a number the way melodylane did.
That is the only reason why I asked. I have seen exposure work with just WS, OP, BS, parents and siblings. I have seen exposure done all on one day and then on the next day the WS goes home and tells the BS the affair is over. I have seen the WS go two years before the affair ended. I have seen affairriages.

I have seen marriages end here and saved here. I've seen what works and try to advocate what needs to be done.

Their are many that do a better job then me. They are better writer's then I. I think I help in that a poster comes here whether a WS or a BS they quite often don't want to hear what is being ofered. But after 5 people telling them what needs to be done hearing me be the 6th person to say the same thing it gets them to think this many people in agreement must mean they collectively know what they are talking about and they finally take the appropriate action.

J
J
I agree with your statement: "But after 5 people telling them what needs to be done hearing me be the 6th person to say the same thing it gets them to think this many people in agreement must mean they collectively know what they are talking about and they finally take the appropriate action."

It is eay to try to tackle things ourselves, but I have told myself: If i am in a room full of 29 people, and they all stand up and point their finger at me and say "You're looking at this wrong," THEN no matter what my feelings are, I NEED to listen to the room full of people. (obviously I am not talking about a room full of people in a cult, but a room full of average healthy people)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 756 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
daveamec, janyline, Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya
71,833 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation