Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
#2597453 02/15/12 09:59 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I am sure this topic has been posted before but I would love to hear stories about it.

eharmony - I joined for a while but only once was I matched with someone that I felt compatible with. We dated for a few months but in the long run, we weren't that compatible.

match.com - I have looked at it and it looks like a bar scene with everybody hitting on everbody they see.

fishinthesea.com - Is it just me, or can people put down the can of Busch-Lite before they take their profile picture???

Has anyone had any luck meeting people online?

A
A
My experience:

Match.com - meatmarket. Lots of options, but also I sensed the "kid in the candy store" mentality from many of the ladies (not saying men aren't the same, I just happened to be looking for women smile ).

JDate - too much of what I don't like in women of my religion (materialism). Sorry, no offense meant.

Eharmony - when I first joined they did not show photos until you got to like third or fourth stage of communication, so that you can "fall in love for the right reasons". OK, I guess they never read Harley's concept of Attractive Spouse as an EN. Then I met a couple of women who seemed nothing like my type, so I am not sure why they matched me up with them. A couple of years later I got a decent match, we dated for a year but had too many insurmountable differences. A couple more matches later then sent me J's profile, whom I promptly addressed by a wrong name when writing to her. I guess it had the right effect, we got married two years later.

Based on my experience, I would give eharmony a shot. And by that I mean sign up for the whole year and really give it a chance, like they ask you to do. It's quite an investment of time and energy and money, but the "matching" system also makes it more manageable, since you are not bombarded with thousands of people screaming "Pick me!! Pick me!!"

AGG

S
S
ROFL!!!! I went online met a lovely widoer man with 3 kids. I love dhim so much but I was not what he wanted in a mate besides the loving his kids, cooking, being so wifey, trying to spoil him. I could not be the deceased wife, and his kids would not bond with me,but still loved him madly UNTIL he got a few girlfriends in the marriage. I refuse to share my husband with other woman. But I will try again evedntually I like to be part of a team.

However has anyone tried a old fashion matchmaker for finding the love of their life?

Sable Venuse

Divorced, newly married again less than 5 years, both of us Christians, 2 small children
N
N
Originally Posted by BHINWI
I am sure this topic has been posted before but I would love to hear stories about it.

eharmony - I joined for a while but only once was I matched with someone that I felt compatible with. We dated for a few months but in the long run, we weren't that compatible.

match.com - I have looked at it and it looks like a bar scene with everybody hitting on everbody they see.

fishinthesea.com - Is it just me, or can people put down the can of Busch-Lite before they take their profile picture???

Has anyone had any luck meeting people online?

BHINWI

Yes. And very happpy.

Met Ruby in August 2011 on ChristianMingle.com. Still moving together slowly at this point.

Not all the glitz, glamour, bells and whistles like the sites you mentioned in your post.

Enough info provided yet not over the top to find the relationship that I was looking for.

You can join for free and check it out. To communicate though (through them) you have to pay but it was very affordable.

nESRE

M 29 yrs
DS 28 DD 18
Me 53 FWH FBS
MTA signed 5/11/2011
D final 5/16/2011

Free.... and going wherever the big guy wants me to go......
P
P
I have a MAJOR fear of dating sites. I know some ppl find mates and have GREAT luck with them but as in the real dating world, how the heck would you know you are not getting a whack job? I knew my ex from the time I was 13 years old and I didn't know I had a whack job until many years into the marriage. There are just too many scary aspects to online dating IMO. Like I said before, please Lord, drop the RIGHT person in my lap.

Me (BS): 41
Ex (lying cheating piece of dirt): 43
Kids: 12 DD, 6 DS
Married 17 years
I filed: 9/25/10
Divorce final: 10/4/11
He remarried: 10/15/11

My current status: Healing a little more every day!
A
A
Originally Posted by prissanna
how the heck would you know you are not getting a whack job? I knew my ex from the time I was 13 years old and I didn't know I had a whack job until many years into the marriage.

You answered your own question prissanna smile. You don't know if you are getting a whack job online any more than you don't know if you are getting one in real life. I met some whackos online, but I also met whackos through work and through relatives, so online dating does not have exclusivity rights to whackos.

You just need to be careful with your screening. In some ways, you can screen better through e-mails and phone chats than you can with a "friend of a friend" where you often end up meeting before you know anything about the person.

Just be careful and selective smile.

AGG

S
OP Offline
S
I knew my ex from the time I was 13 years old and I didn't know I had a whack job until many years into the marriage.

Yes, but you are much wiser now then when you were 13. smile

I think online dating is safe but I would suggest never meeting a person anywhere but a public place. And I would take it very slow...

S
S
Originally Posted by SableVenus57
However has anyone tried a old fashion matchmaker for finding the love of their life?

Sable Venuse

My dh and I were introduced by friends. Friends who were nervous about being involved in the matchmaking business...but they had given each of us some serious thought as to the kind of person they thought we wanted and needed...they have another single friend but they both said they immediately rejected him as a possibility for me.

P
P
Originally Posted by BHINWI
I knew my ex from the time I was 13 years old and I didn't know I had a whack job until many years into the marriage.

Yes, but you are much wiser now then when you were 13. smile

Are your sure about that? rotflmao

Me (BS): 41
Ex (lying cheating piece of dirt): 43
Kids: 12 DD, 6 DS
Married 17 years
I filed: 9/25/10
Divorce final: 10/4/11
He remarried: 10/15/11

My current status: Healing a little more every day!
G
G
I met Mike on Match.

Eharmony is great if you are in a highly populated area. Otherwise, you need one of the meat markets. There just aren't enough people in a rural area, so you get sent matches from two hours away. That's too far for most people to build a relationship, especially if one or both can't move.

I actually did It's Just Loosers. I mean, I'ts Just Lunch. It's expensive, and they claim they hand pick. They do NOT. Not only taht, they don't show photos before hand. Now, tell me, what red-blooded man who can afford a personal dating service is willing to go out sight unseen? Men are visual creatures in general. IJL is for the desperate.

Prissanna, the way I approach all dating is to assume the men are really nice, really smart, and probably whack jobs. But even the whack jobs, like Frenchy-Moroccan dude from Labor Day contribute something. In this case a good story and decreased appetite.

Most men aren't dangerous, and I think most of the dangerous ones can be eliminated by getting their vital information and meeting in public places until you are comfortable. The other type are the scam artists, but these are also weeded out rather quickly. Their profiles look too good to be true, they write like cheap romance writers, and their photos look like them came from a men's wear catalog.

One thing that Match and other sites are good for is Practice! Most dates don't end in marriage. So, I think it's a good idea to get some practice in with anyone who has potential, keeping in mind there's only a 1 in 4 chance you'll keep dating.

Then, when the Good Lord does drop him in your lap, you're prepared.

Another thought: Sometimes, it's not about us. Sometimes, God places people in our path, not for us, but for them. We don't know, but it's all worked to His ends.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
L
L
Match.com is brilliant because it allows you to explore possibilities you would never have otherwise thought of. I definitely recommend it and have tons of older friends who have paired off that way.

Take great care with your profile, make sure the photo is honest but flattering. Write amusingly and be subtle. For instance you don't want to say 'I have a lot of money' but you can put in breadcrumbs that will be picked up by the right person, probably someone in a similar situation.

Don't sit back and see what responses you get, be proactive. Filter for something you enjoy like 'sailing' and see what hits you get. When you find someone whose profile you like, write a very carefully thought out email to them about yourself.

Don't be discouraged by the nutcases. Remember that the virtual world does not allow the filtration system that your eyes use.

Email for at least a week or two before you agree to meet.

Meet in a public place and keep the commitment short (coffee not dinner).

Most of all, remember that people tell us most about themselves the very first time we meet them. Look for the subtle clues, they will tell you everything if you let them.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
B
B
I met my husband on Match 2 years ago....we were married on December 10 and couldn't be happier!!!

F
F
I've done Match, eH and PoF. PoF is a good place to start, since it's free if you don't opt for the bells and whistles (yet, it's still functional). Just like walking into a bar, restaurant or any other public place, there are going to be crazies (and I've met my share of those). If you go slowly and use your head, it seems safe enough and you can meet some great people.

Match was probably my favorite of the three, FWIW.

Plan D Final: January 2011
DD: 17, DS: 21
D
D
Hi! It's been a while since I have been here, but was scanning through today while in detention and this one caught my attention!

I did do the online dating thing, meet some nice guys. Wasn't looking for a spouse, but looking for someone to spend sometime with, to do things with.

The man that I am engaged to meet my friend online and they dated for a month or 2 and didn't work out. A little more then a year later, we re-connected and hit it off, I hadn't really considered him before as my friend was dating him and I someone else. So in a round about way, we meet online!!!!!

I always kept my standards high, and wouldn't accept anything less.

Just thought that I would share.

Dawn

BS 49
Divorced 10 yrs/married 21 yrs
Life is good and I am happy!
Engaged to be married on the 4th of August 2012!
30yoS&DIL & 2 gson/27yoD-Divorced & 3 gson/21yoD
A
A
Originally Posted by daybreak
The man that I am engaged to

Hi Dawn,

Don't want to TJ this thread, but I can't let you slip this past us smile. Congratulations! And how about some more details??

AGG

G
G
Congrats,Dawn!

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
E
E
I met my husband on eHarmony, after 3 years of using the service. We were both 50+ when we met. We do live in a sparsely populated area of the country, and lived several hours apart. I think its wonderful that eHarmony allowed us to meet when our paths never would've crossed otherwise.

I did meet a few guys through eHarmony where I thought, "how could I possibly match up with him?", and I few where I was interested but they weren't, but I'm glad I hung in there. My husband had just started using it when we met.... I'm glad I met him quickly or surely another woman would have snatched him right up!

eHarmony did allow us to share pictures right away, which I preferred, since I didn't want to spend time corresponding with anyone who wouldn't be interested in me based on appearance. I did learn it was best to email, phone for a few weeks, but to meet in person fairly quickly. I think it's possible to build up an idea of a person you know virtually that does not correspond to reality. Best not to let that fantasy build.

I didn't want to do match.com, since I know lots of folks, married or not, who enjoy looking to see who's on match, and I felt I could be more honest in my profile if I knew my co-workers would not be teasing me about it.

So, I am a big fan of eHarmony and patience.

50+ yo couple enjoying our empty nest.
Young adult kids out on their own.
"Enthusiastic agreement?" is our catch phrase.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by emilyann
I met my husband on eHarmony, after 3 years of using the service.

A nice story. Glad it worked out.

J
J
Well I placed an ad on match and christianmingle after divorce.
I didn't pay and decided I didn't want to date anyway.

I kept getting promotional emails and ignored them. I deleted them.
Then Christian mingle said I had interested women. And I looked and it was a woman from my bible study!
Someone I had no interest in!
So a warning! CM matches by your church. Plus I don't mean to sound superficial but most of the women on CM appeared very unhealthy versus the matches I got on match.com.

I deleted my profile. So think carefully before you sign up for online dating sites!

L
L
None of the dating sites will match you intelligently but with a little work they can be a great tool. Throw away any suggestions they make.

Their greatest value is in helping you think outside the box.

I come from a very unusual background, there are very few of us around. To make matters worse, I live overseas and so my friends could not easily introduce me to someone suitable. I always assumed that I would never find anyone unless I went home leaving my two adult daughters behind, massive dilemma.

Then I hit on the idea of using the keyword searches on Match. Subtle stuff, took me a few weeks to get it right and then bingo. I hit the jackpot. I'm not sure which of us was the more astonished. Total needle in a haystack. We are still laughing.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,254 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation