Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 40 of 47 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 46 47
V
V
Originally Posted by GJM
Originally Posted by TigerWes
Originally Posted by GJM
What I see is a recovered man that has become stronger. You went through the storm and survived. Maybe not the way you wanted to come out, but you have grown into somebody better with the tools and knowledge to help others.
Completely agree. It's sad, but also inspiring, how much good can come from so much bad.

Unfortunately I fear I'm heading in the same direction. The good news is I'll be a better person in the end.
Not yet, G, not yet. Plan B will shake your wife to the core.

Every man I meet is in some way my superior; and in that I can learn of him.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

M
OP Offline
M
So I encountered something new yesterday. A friend asked me at an annual function we attended if I was officially divorced. I told him yeah. He then told me the fact that I still wear my ring means absolutely nothing. I was a little caught off guard by the statement just because I didn't expect it. But I began to think about what he said for a response in the future.

Maybe to him and others, it may not mean anything but it does to me. It means that D or not, I'm still committed. It means that I care nothing about what the courts say about my marital status. It means I haven't totally lost lost hope despite what the circumstances may look like. To other women, it's a sign to them that I don't consider myself to be available (and there have been several who have even commented about it).

Just call me crazy, but that's just the way I see it. I guess I'll be ready next time....

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
V
V
Originally Posted by marksaysay
So I encountered something new yesterday. A friend asked me at an annual function we attended if I was officially divorced. I told him yeah. He then told me the fact that I still wear my ring means absolutely nothing. I was a little caught off guard by the statement just because I didn't expect it. But I began to think about what he said for a response in the future.

Maybe to him and others, it may not mean anything but it does to me. It means that D or not, I'm still committed. It means that I care nothing about what the courts say about my marital status. It means I haven't totally lost lost hope despite what the circumstances may look like. To other women, it's a sign to them that I don't consider myself to be available (and there have been several who have even commented about it).

Just call me crazy, but that's just the way I see it. I guess I'll be ready next time....
Not sure what to say mark, but when some of the BWs on this board read this I can imagine that many will shed a tear for you and wonder why their WHs couldn't be more like you.

Your time frame for enough is enough, and truly moving on, is entirely your decision.

You're in my prayers.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
T
Nothing wrong with being divorced in court but still feeling married in gods law.

Thing is we can only guess your friends motivation to tell you about still wearing your W ring. In the end even if it was an attempt to help you move on or just a joke. It only matters why you want to wear the ring. So wear it in good health.

M
OP Offline
M
I don't know his motivation either but it definitely didn't come off as a joke. The odd thing today, though, was my devotional this morning was based on the prodigal son story with the emphasis being patience, hope, and simply trusting God. Then the pastor preached a sermon this morning about Gods ability to raise the dead. Neither of those things served to point me in a different direction. They actually seemed to encourage me to not give up no matter what things look like.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
V
V
Originally Posted by TheRoad
Thing is we can only guess your friends motivation to tell you about still wearing your W ring.
Now Road, you know the answer to this as well as I do, and anyone else does. That friend that made the comment doesn't have the same morals as mark and certainly doesn't have the same commitment to the vows of marriage.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

R
R
Well, it isn't necessarily true they don't have the same commitment or morals.

What is true is they think a ring signifies a marriage that has not been legally divorced.

Really, it is that simple and not anything to think less of them for having an opinion.

The ring signifies something special to Mark, therefor he wears it.

It isn't the other person's task to understand that.

The ring IS a physical symbol though and people will comment on it. That is human nature and the cultural significance of the symbol.

V
V
Originally Posted by reading

What is true is they think a ring signifies a marriage that has not been legally divorced.

Really, it is that simple and not anything to think less of them for having an opinion.

The ring signifies something special to Mark, therefor he wears it.

It isn't the other person's task to understand that.

The ring IS a physical symbol though and people will comment on it. That is human nature and the cultural significance of the symbol.
Never said the friend was wrong in what they thought. I simply said they don't hold the same views as mark. Yes, the ring is only a physical symbol to some people after divorce, but the significance of the ring bears more weight to mark. It's a testament of mark's commitment to his wife. Until mark is readily willing to release himself from that commitment, then the ring stays where it should be. It's what I would do.

I totally disagree with this. That comment wouldn't have been made if they did. JMO

not anything to think less of them for having an opinion.
I do agree with this. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree.

T
T
Originally Posted by TigerWes
Originally Posted by TheRoad
Thing is we can only guess your friends motivation to tell you about still wearing your W ring.
Now Road, you know the answer to this as well as I do, and anyone else does. That friend that made the comment doesn't have the same morals as mark and certainly doesn't have the same commitment to the vows of marriage.

I know possible answers.
I don't know the answer.

What I do know is that MSS just has to put those statements on ignore and do what MSS feels is right.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the comments, guys. And that comment was filed in the "I don't care what anybody else thinks" category. It just caused me to prepare myself for the next time someone says something similar.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

S
S
I'm glad that you have decided to figure out what to say to people about your ring. Sometimes, when I read that you still wear yours, I feel badly for having taken mine off. I wear another ring, a family ring with my 2 sons on it, on that finger instead. I took it off about 6 months after my WH left. Even before that, people commented that they were surprised that I still wore it. Even today, I get asked why I am not dating, and I can say, "Because I am still married." Then I get, "But you're separated and it's been TWO YEARS." I answer with, "No matter what my husband has done, I haven't broken my vows, and I don't intend to, so I will not date while I am still married."

As you say, it doesn't really matter what others thinks. You do what you need to, it's working for you.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
OP Offline
M
Scotty, I wouldn't feel bad about taking off your ring means you did what you felt was right at the time. In today's world, though, I guess we both come off as crazy since most people seem to think separated means no longer married. Heck, I think I might come off as just plain weird since Ive actually been divorced now for 2 months. Oh, well...

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

M
OP Offline
M
Well, sincei started touring on the karaoke circuit (lol), i've amassed quite a few loyal fans. I was informed, by one, of a local 12 wk long american idol style karaoke contest and i think i'm gonna enter. It starts tomorrow night.

I used to do a lot of talent shows and it will be nice to be in another. It will be my first in quite a long time. Now i dont have any aspirations of singing professionally. Its just something i do fairly well and fun to do. I cant wait!!!

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

M
M
Sweet Caroline that sounds like fun.

Good luck

M
OP Offline
M
Well, since i started touring on the karaoke circuit (lol), i've amassed quite a few loyal fans. I was informed, by one, of a local 12 wk long american idol style karaoke contest and i think i'm gonna enter. It starts tomorrow night.

Well, i made it to the semifinals which begins in three weeks. Im excited but there is a problem...we start out singing country and i dont know any country.

Any suggestions?

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

S
S
Well, since i started touring on the karaoke circuit (lol), i've amassed quite a few loyal fans. I was informed, by one, of a local 12 wk long american idol style karaoke contest and i think i'm gonna enter. It starts tomorrow night.

Well, i made it to the semifinals which begins in three weeks. Im excited but there is a problem...we start out singing country and i dont know any country.

Any suggestions?

Congrats, and NO. I don't know ANY country songs.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
E
E
"Your cheating heart" by Hank Williams

K
K
"Before he cheats" by Carrie Underwood.

Or "Cheatin'" by Sara Evans (herself a BS I believe)`

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen
"Your cheating heart" by Hank Williams
Originally Posted by karmasrose
"Before he cheats" by Carrie Underwood.

Or "Cheatin'" by Sara Evans (herself a BS I believe)`

Rocketqueen and Karmarose, I laughed really, really hard when I read your "suggestions". It wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it brought a smile to my face. Those were priceless...

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

E
E
tee hee laugh

Page 40 of 47 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 935 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation