Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
She wants to adopt children, keep her last name, and have separate bank accounts? She is also very much against the idea of religion. This worries me a little bit.

Yes I know it's not the 1950's anymore, but it seems like she wants to keep a lot of her independence and my fear is that if she ever wanted a divorce it would be a lot easier for her to make a clean break from me. With the religion thing it also makes me think she wouldn't take her vows seriously (ie: cheating/divorce). She already had an emotional affair and has a few friends of the opposite sex.

What do you all think?

Last edited by 12345_guy; 02/28/12 08:59 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted by 12345_guy
She wants to adopt children, keep her last name, and have separate bank accounts? She is also very much against the idea of religion. This worries me a little bit.

Yes I know it's not the 1950's anymore, but it seems like she wants to keep a lot of her independence and my fear is that if she ever wanted a divorce it would be a lot easier for her to make a clean break from me. With the religion thing it also makes me think she wouldn't take her vows seriously (ie: cheating/divorce). She already had an emotional affair and has a few friends of the opposite sex.

What do you all think?

What the heck? You know we know it is you from the other thread right?

OP Offline
Sorry, I won't post again for a little while. I was just wondering what others would do in this situation.

M
M
Sorry, I won't post again for a little while. I was just wondering what others would do in this situation.
We've already TOLD YOU. Starting a new thread isn't going to change the advice.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M

You were living with her for sex, so it sounds like you are also very much against the idea of religion. I think if you want a religious wife, you have to act religious.

I still believe that it's a bad idea to have sex with someone you are not married to, even if you are single. I still believe God thinks so, too. What religion do you follow?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
G
G

If you are still here, this woman does not want a marriage.

She wants a companion/ father to HER children / backup guy when her sexual affairs go sour/ Servant. Talk about selfish and spoiled!

The fact that she wants to adopt rather than bear your children is troubling. Please run from this woman and do not let her connive you back into her controlling arms.

I doubt her "EA" was not an EA/PA.

God Bless
Gamma

Last edited by Gamma; 02/29/12 08:54 AM.
A
A
I don't think this woman ever was interested in marriage with 12345. She doesn't want to speak with him right now.

I suspect 12345 is dealing with infatuation with this girl rather than wanting to develop a relationship that had any prospects of marriage. It sounds like he thinks he can turn an unstable dating relationship and two mismatched immature people into a good marriage.

B
B
She is also very much against the idea of religion. This worries me a little bit.

With the religion thing it also makes me think she wouldn't take her vows seriously (ie: cheating/divorce). She already had an emotional affair and has a few friends of the opposite sex.

Religion is irrelevant to taking your vows seriously. There are plenty of people here who identify as Christians who conveniently overlooked the part about not committing adultery.

I am an agnostic and take my vows quite seriously, thank you very much.

If it is that important to you that your prospective spouse have religion of some sort, then date someone who already follows your desired religion. Seems pretty simple.

I thought religious people saved sex for marriage? Yet on your other thread you didn't seem to have any moral qualms about bedding her... think

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
M
M
Originally Posted by bitbucket
Religion is irrelevant to taking your vows seriously. There are plenty of people here who identify as Christians who conveniently overlooked the part about not committing adultery.

I am an agnostic and take my vows quite seriously, thank you very much.

If it is that important to you that your prospective spouse have religion of some sort, then date someone who already follows your desired religion. Seems pretty simple.

I thought religious people saved sex for marriage? Yet on your other thread you didn't seem to have any moral qualms about bedding her... think

Exactly! Excellent post, bitbucket.

This. You are right, it is simple.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
W
W
No, you shouldn't, if that isn't what you want.

M
M
Originally Posted by bitbucket

When I was in high school our school in its infinite wisdom thought it would be a good idea to have small discussion groups with students randomly assigned (I didn't even go to class with any of these kids except for one friend) to discuss serious topics every month. One month the topic was what to look for in a husband or wife. They didn't give us any guidance, it was just kids talking to each other with one adult as a facilitator, so there was little wisdom to be gained, only shared youthful foolishness, but it was interesting and enlightening to me to hear what other kids said.

Several boys in the group identified the number one quality for their wife as "virgin." I thought that was interesting, because that was not what I put down.

The really interesting thing to me was that several girls got mad. The reason they got mad was that they said it was hypocritical for guys to seek a virgin but not be virgin themselves. Now I was a bit offended at that implication, but the interesting thing for me was this perception of a double standard.

And, assuming these boys were really living by that standard (which might be a safe bet given that sex was the first thing they talked about, I dunno) then these girls were exactly right. It is repugnant and offensive to suggest that a guy can cat around like a male whore and then finally "settle down" with a good Christian girl. It is a disgusting abuse of that girl and a fraud committed toward her.

OP, if you intend to marry a Christian girl some day, then start making yourself somebody who she deserves, and start by living by the religious values you want her to live by. Don't make that poor noble lady settle some day for used, damaged goods. Be a man and put your genitals back in your pants until your wedding night, and be sure to let any lady you are interested in in the future know your full history so she can judge if you have overcome your past baggage or not.

M
M
In that same discussion in school, I put down that I wanted my wife to be a Christian and of the same faith traditions as me. That opened me up to quite a bit of criticism from the same gripy girls. They said I was being unfair and eliminating lots of potentially good people.

But the thing is I knew what I want. They didn't want to date or marry me anyway, and I wasn't interested in them, so I don't know what they were upset about! laugh There was no sense in getting involved with someone that I wasn't going to potentially marry some day. The only consequence of that is to see one's personal convictions and boundaries move and then fly out the window.

I married a Christian, of my faith tradition, and we were both virgins on our wedding night. I say this not to brag (some wouldn't consider any of this anything to brag about, anyway) but to condemn the idea that this kind of thing is "unrealistic." People shouldn't condemn doing the right thing as unrealistic just to justify their own urge to get sexual needs met in an uncommitted relationship.

M
M
Originally Posted by markos
I
I married a Christian, of my faith tradition, and we were both virgins on our wedding night. I say this not to brag (some wouldn't consider any of this anything to brag about, anyway) but to condemn the idea that this kind of thing is "unrealistic." People shouldn't condemn doing the right thing as unrealistic just to justify their own urge to get sexual needs met in an uncommitted relationship.

clap

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
G
From your other thread:
it's been months since the breakup and she hasn't talked to me since. She isn't dating anyone else but refuses to talk to me

What do you all think?
I think marrying a woman who doesn't talk to you would make it difficult to know what kind of shampoo she wants you to pick up from the store on your way home from work. Since you are a guy, you won't know this yourself, and you'll need her to tell you.

Nah, it's just not gonna work for you two. You know how many different kinds of shampoo there are, right? Trust me, you'll have a lot more fun with a woman who actually speaks with you, because in a functioning marriage, you kinda oughtta be doing this every day, y'know what I'm sayin'?

Otherwise when you've been married almost 20 years like I've been, you'll have, like, four closets full of the wrong shampoo.

M
M
rotflmao

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
H
OMG, so after all these years I finally discover what the problem is. I only have about 20 bottles of the wrong shampoo in our linen closet. Apparently I am 3.8 closets short!

When you can see it coming, duck!
M
M
The right shampoo is critical. smile

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

P
P

I love to mix several shampoos on my head while washing my hair...so I'm good with 20 different kinds.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation