Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 55 of 104 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 103 104
M
M
Originally Posted by starfish75
I called my MIL this morning and she said WH is out of sorts and that he is upset I changed the locks. She said he doesn't know what to think now after the nice weekend that you had. She doesn't think it was right for me to change the locks, because it's his house too.

Why is he trying to get in if you have asked him to leave you alone? His lying has been stressful enough. Why won't he respect your wishes? Tell your MIL you need a break and have explained that in the letter. He moved out and you can't have him coming in the house when the spirit moves him. You need some peace and quiet from his games.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
SF, tell your MIL that if he won't respect your wishes and leave you alone you will have to file for divorce. You were hoping he would respect your wishes after the hell he has put you through but apparently not.

He is trying to make you into the bad guy for changing the locks. Turn that right back on him!!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

U
U
Starfish,

I have been reading your posts since the beginning. You are an amazing woman and an inspiration to many, many people who are on these threads!

My WH gave me trickle truths for over a year about EA's and situations that happened in the past. My gut instinct always told me there was more. I threatened polygraphs, but he talked me out of it until one night I determinedly told him that he didn't have to agree WITH it he just needed to agree to DO it (show up)and that I was going to schedule one. Over that year I had seen a handful of moments where he was really on the brink of coming clean, and that night I saw one of those moments. I think I have seen a few of them in your story with your WH. Fortunately for me, that night he made the right choice and came clean with the things he was hiding. Now, we are slowly on the road to recovery.

I see a lot of similarities in our stories. In my case my WH wanted to come clean but he was scared, to not only be honest to me and suffer those consequences, but to be honest with himself. He had a lot of shame and guilt for what he had done, and he had buried it in his past and didn't have to stare it in the face every day like he does now. Self preservation through self denial at its finest. I just want you to know that there is hope. Nobody can say whether you WH will make the right choice or not, and you do need to take care of yourself and demand that he does before you start the rebuilding process. But there is hope that he MIGHT. I know you have been asking for that reassurance. He will, however, have NO REASON to come clean if you let up on your plan. Every time you want to stray from Plan B, ask yourself what the alternative is, being married to a man who is still lying to you and has no reason to stop.

Stay strong, you have a huge following on these threads that believe in you!

M
M
And don't give him a key!! Make him get a court order to get in and when it comes to court your attorney can get in front of the judge and explain the REASONS why you don't want him in. Your husband can then hear his mud dragged through court!

Exposure 101

I
I
I called my MIL this morning and she said WH is out of sorts and that he is upset I changed the locks. She said he doesn't know what to think now after the nice weekend that you had. She doesn't think it was right for me to change the locks, because it's his house too.

I had thought she might be trouble after the whole I 'choose to believe' thing. Wow I wonder if she ever had the nerve to tell him to wash up for dinner. Mothers are supposed to be able to spot liars!!

Tell her word for word what Mel said about the divorce. That's outrageous that she expects you to just suffer under his lying and abuse.

The 'nice weekend' is no reason for her to volunteer you for further abuse. The nice weekend was a testament to your patience and courageousness in staying calm and strong under all the gaslighting. HE had a nice weekend. YOU had stetched your nerves to breaking point to save your marriage.

I dont see anything wrong in telling your MIL that while your WH had a nice time with you, and while you love him, you are being put under incredible strain by his ongoing lies.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Your husband can then hear his mud dragged through court!

Awesome. Waywards HATE this.

I
I
Originally Posted by unwritten
Every time you want to stray from Plan B, ask yourself what the alternative is, being married to a man who is still lying to you and has no reason to stop.

Such wise words! Your first post, unwritten? I would be interested in reading your story or seeing you post your own thread.

M
M
Originally Posted by indiegirl
[
I had thought she might be trouble after the whole I 'choose to believe' thing. Wow I wonder if she ever had the nerve to tell him to wash up for dinner. Mothers are supposed to be able to spot liars!!

I have thought about this and I think the reason he is such a practiced liar is because he was able to lie to his mother and get away with it. Some people just do not have a good bullsh** detector. I have often thought if I was not a BS detector, that my son would have turned out like this too. He is very smooth but when he tried to lie to me, I nailed him every time so he just got in the habit of telling the truth. Today he is a very honest and honorable young man.

Exposure 101

U
U
Hi Indiegirl,

Yes my first post! I have been stalking the forums for about a month, trying to decide if I should write up my story at some point (read yours btw, you are another VERY inspirational woman!). I wish I had found these forums a decade ago, it would have been life changing for me. I would have had A PLAN instead of wallowing around with no plan for years. And I would have had support, instead of feeling isolated and like nobody understood. A plan and support laid out by some very amazing and inspirational people, in a tough love format:) I am just happy to be here now, and have learned more about marriage and life than I ever could have hoped for.

S
OP Offline
S
Starfish,

I have been reading your posts since the beginning. You are an amazing woman and an inspiration to many, many people who are on these threads!

My WH gave me trickle truths for over a year about EA's and situations that happened in the past. My gut instinct always told me there was more. I threatened polygraphs, but he talked me out of it until one night I determinedly told him that he didn't have to agree WITH it he just needed to agree to DO it (show up)and that I was going to schedule one. Over that year I had seen a handful of moments where he was really on the brink of coming clean, and that night I saw one of those moments. I think I have seen a few of them in your story with your WH. Fortunately for me, that night he made the right choice and came clean with the things he was hiding. Now, we are slowly on the road to recovery.

I see a lot of similarities in our stories. In my case my WH wanted to come clean but he was scared, to not only be honest to me and suffer those consequences, but to be honest with himself. He had a lot of shame and guilt for what he had done, and he had buried it in his past and didn't have to stare it in the face every day like he does now. Self preservation through self denial at its finest. I just want you to know that there is hope. Nobody can say whether you WH will make the right choice or not, and you do need to take care of yourself and demand that he does before you start the rebuilding process. But there is hope that he MIGHT. I know you have been asking for that reassurance. He will, however, have NO REASON to come clean if you let up on your plan. Every time you want to stray from Plan B, ask yourself what the alternative is, being married to a man who is still lying to you and has no reason to stop.

Thank you so much!!! Thank you for sharing with me about your situation too. It helps to hear others stories... I hope I'm able to help others too someday!!!

S
OP Offline
S
I sent my MIL the following text:

I need a break and have explained that in the letter. He moved out and i can't have him coming in the house when the spirit moves him. I need some peace and quiet from his games. I was hoping he would respect my wishes after the hell he has put me through, but apparently not. I need some time for myself right now and Bryan needs to come clean with the truth (all of it), if he wants to work on rebuilding our marriage. My doctors are advising me to focus on taking care of myself right now and I need some peace for myself.
I love you!

S
OP Offline
S
Starfish,

How did your H finally come clean?

S
OP Offline
S
MIL's response:

I know u need peace & i want that more than anything 4 u. Take care & try 2 have a good day. Baby steps 4 now!

U
U
I had talked to him on his way home from work about the poly. He was giving me the usual reasons why he did not want to take a poly and I just said, I don't care if you agree, will you do it? It was one of the few times I showed conviction and didn't let him manipulate the situation because of what I wanted to believe. When he got home I didn't let up, I kept saying I needed the truth. I could not go on in our marriage without the truth. If he could take a poly and prove that I had the truth then why wouldn't he want to do that. We put the kids to bed and sat down on the couch together. I kept on the poly topic because I could see it was starting to affect him. He kept saying I don't have a choice, I don't agree with it but if I don't take it you won't believe me. I said, there is a third option and that is to just tell the truth. Right here and now tell the truth. He had his head down and his hands were shaking and my heart was beating out of my chest because I knew this was it, I was thinking, what did I do??? Because you know, SF, as I did, that the truth is gonna HURT. I stayed calm and supportive and he just spilled it. I would have to say, looking back on that moment and the trickle truths, the times I have gotten info were when he was caught off guard with my calm and supportive casual attitude, vs during a fight or other highly emotionally charged situation. I know you have had many of those calm supportive moments with your WH.

There were many, many moments like this where he made the choice NOT to tell the truth. I couldn't tell you why he chose that moment to come clean. I think it was the real threat of a poly, which he knew he wouldn't pass. And I know your WH is beyond that, he actually took and failed the poly, so he seems even more determined to hold out.

S
OP Offline
S
I'm just praying with everything that I have that Plan B will work for the both of us... Me: for my sanity/peace, Him: to hit rock bottom and come clean.

S
OP Offline
S
I had talked to him on his way home from work about the poly. He was giving me the usual reasons why he did not want to take a poly and I just said, I don't care if you agree, will you do it? It was one of the few times I showed conviction and didn't let him manipulate the situation because of what I wanted to believe. When he got home I didn't let up, I kept saying I needed the truth. I could not go on in our marriage without the truth. If he could take a poly and prove that I had the truth then why wouldn't he want to do that. We put the kids to bed and sat down on the couch together. I kept on the poly topic because I could see it was starting to affect him. He kept saying I don't have a choice, I don't agree with it but if I don't take it you won't believe me. I said, there is a third option and that is to just tell the truth. Right here and now tell the truth. He had his head down and his hands were shaking and my heart was beating out of my chest because I knew this was it, I was thinking, what did I do??? Because you know, SF, as I did, that the truth is gonna HURT. I stayed calm and supportive and he just spilled it. I would have to say, looking back on that moment and the trickle truths, the times I have gotten info were when he was caught off guard with my calm and supportive casual attitude, vs during a fight or other highly emotionally charged situation. I know you have had many of those calm supportive moments with your WH.

There were many, many moments like this where he made the choice NOT to tell the truth. I couldn't tell you why he chose that moment to come clean. I think it was the real threat of a poly, which he knew he wouldn't pass. And I know your WH is beyond that, he actually took and failed the poly, so he seems even more determined to hold out.

Thank you for sharing. I only wish my WH could have been as courageous as your H was in telling the truth before the polygraph. Maybe someday...

S
OP Offline
S
MIL just sent me a new text:

If u need a break, u could fly up here. We could just shop, eat out & only talk if u wanted 2. The springtime is lovely.

U
U
I will also say SF that we had almost a decade of him being deceptive and me just letting the lies and instability change who I was, from a strong spunky woman to a very insecure woman. Then, I hit a brick wall where I just couldn't do it anymore, and doodoo hit the fan so to speak. I began to challenge him and demand the truth. That went on for a year plus during which I got trickle truths, until D-Day. My point here is that during those years where I let him lie and just buried my head in the sand and had a pity party for me, he NEVER would have told me the truth. He had no reason to. Unfortunately, our pain is not a reason to, as much as we wish it was. It wasn't until I challenged him and demanded it, and was serious, that he told the truth. It took me a LONG time to get there, which is why you are amazing because you have done all this in such a short period of time. You are on the right road, if you ever do get the truth it will only happen by you being strong and demanding it as a condition to marriage, there is no other way.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
And don't give him a key!! Make him get a court order to get in and when it comes to court your attorney can get in front of the judge and explain the REASONS why you don't want him in. Your husband can then hear his mud dragged through court!

I'm not going to give him a key!

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by TigerWes
Sure it's still his house too, but it's not his home any longer. And just who's fault is that? He's the one that made his choices that led to this, not you. He also has the choice to meet your conditions to make it his home again.

It's entirely up to him. You MIL needs to understand this.

Agree with you 100%

Page 55 of 104 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 524 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation