Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 36 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 35 36
Letty #2631191 05/30/12 10:39 PM
M
M
Hey, rightthing,

I'm a little worried about you guys since neither one posted today. Is everything okay?

Any arguments?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2631234 05/31/12 06:32 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the concern, Markos. We're doing well (or as well as one can do given the circumstances). I chose not to post today and instead focus on AI and the kids. Jamming as much love money in there as possible and pounding away at the issues I'm facing with regard to bad old habits and the such.

No worries. We're on the road to recovery. Admittedly, the road looks long, but we're on it and walking along.

Thanks for the concern.

M
M
Glad to hear it, rightthing. That's a good reason not to post.

Any arguments?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2631292 05/31/12 09:42 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Nope. No arguments. Keeping everything in check. No room for any AO's at all. Anyways, it's totally not worth it to be pissed and grumpy for any period of time. I'm just going to focus on the good, and do everything I can to make this woman feel safe.

M
M
Originally Posted by therightthing
Nope. No arguments. Keeping everything in check.

Excellent!

(Would she disagree, if she were posting? One of my common mistakes for our first year of MB was to believe that many of my AOs weren't AOs.)

markos #2631894 06/02/12 07:28 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Markos: She'd agree. We've had quite a good few days now. Honest talk and understanding. Things have been very pleasant.

I'm still busting my a$$, but I expect that I'll be doing this for a long while. I'll update more later.

P
P
Nope. No arguments. Keeping everything in check. No room for any AO's at all. Anyways, it's totally not worth it to be pissed and grumpy for any period of time. I'm just going to focus on the good, and do everything I can to make this woman feel safe.

smile <~~~ Me

markos #2632128 06/03/12 11:57 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by markos
One of my common mistakes for our first year of MB was to believe that many of my AOs weren't AOs.

But, you learned. You took the twoxfour like a man !
I now consider you , Marcos, to be the best resource when it comes to helping other husbands learn/recognize/change AO habits.

Fact is, you (anyone & everyone) can make hundreds of love unit deposits, and !wham! shoot it all to hell with some well aimed ugly/vicious angry outburst.

Any one of us can slip up and make an occasional AO. If we do, the MB thing to do is to apologize immediately. And not to do a repeat performance.

T
OP Offline
T
We've had a really good couple of days. Keeping busy (together) during the day while I'm on leave, and then spending at least 2-4 hours a night, alone. Sometimes more.

We both know that this is going to take quite some time, but we're also pretty stoked about the potential that we see for the future.

No AO's at all, lately. Just the two that made me realize that I'm ridiculous, and that's it.

Btw, the first argument was because I found her wedding ring in a box bound for a thrift shop (a total accident on her part and stupid paranoid reaction on my part), and me losing my sh*t in the mall because I exhibited independent behaviour and was totally embarrassed by my own actions when she called me out on it.

She's called me out on stuff since then, and I've taken it like a trooper. Even apologized for my actions immediately and tried to make good without argument.

We've found out a lot about each other lately. In all honesty, and one of you club weilders is gonna come a knockin', but I'm thinking I missed out on quite an amazing woman while I was off being a total douche-canoe. I'm looking forward to being the husband she deserves.

G
G
Self-awareness is pretty scary when you start looking at the mirror you've been avoiding.

But it's also pretty neat to put into practice once you start getting the hang of it.

I remember, in probably our 2nd MC session, within a couple of weeks after D-Day, how our counselor told me I was crashing the conversations my wife & I were having with her, because I was talking in an aggressive manner that the counselor said she had actually found "very intimidating." And I'd had no idea -- I'd been so focused on getting my 2 cents in & on not being misunderstood, etc., that I hadn't been making any effort to step outside myself & see how I was coming off looking like & sounding like to others -- most notably my spouse, and at a time when she needed more understanding from me than I'd ever offered her previously.

So keep one foot outside yourself.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
V
V
Part of my problem is I'm assertive at work and I have to take it down a few notches at home.

Sometimes I forget and treat DH like I do my coworkers. When he starts responding with 'Yes Ma'am' I know I need to relax.

Me: 30
Him: 39
Together 5 years
Married the very best man in the world 04/06/2013 after being common law for too long. I'm a lucky woman.
7 Cats - Viscount Ashley of Leftfield, Pawkie Petunia, The Timinator, Leo the Lionheart, Fruit Snack, Cloud, and Barret
And our very lucky pony, Starbucks
H
H
We've had a really good couple of days. Keeping busy (together) during the day while I'm on leave, and then spending at least 2-4 hours a night, alone. Sometimes more.

We both know that this is going to take quite some time, but we're also pretty stoked about the potential that we see for the future.

No AO's at all, lately. Just the two that made me realize that I'm ridiculous, and that's it.

Btw, the first argument was because I found her wedding ring in a box bound for a thrift shop (a total accident on her part and stupid paranoid reaction on my part), and me losing my sh*t in the mall because I exhibited independent behaviour and was totally embarrassed by my own actions when she called me out on it.

She's called me out on stuff since then, and I've taken it like a trooper. Even apologized for my actions immediately and tried to make good without argument.

We've found out a lot about each other lately. In all honesty, and one of you club weilders is gonna come a knockin', but I'm thinking I missed out on quite an amazing woman while I was off being a total douche-canoe. I'm looking forward to being the husband she deserves.

Hehe... we have someone else around here who knows about the whole PoJA/IB/AO trifecta whilst shopping.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
T
OP Offline
T
Any of you other wayward have a moment where you felt like this were becoming real and you did a horrible thing? I *know* I did something absolutely terrible, but the past two days have seen me feeling so miserable about my actions that I don't really know what to do but plow through.

And AI is confused as to where she's supposed to be in all of this. Should we start moving forward? Should we start recovering? Should we keep rehashing the same painful things? Someone has to have a suggestion or something... (I'm looking at you, Gloveoil)

G
G
...And AI is confused as to where she's supposed to be in all of this. Should we start moving forward? Should we start recovering? Should we keep rehashing the same painful things? Someone has to have a suggestion or something... (I'm looking at you, Gloveoil)
I don't do generalities too well. Let's get more specific:

--What are the two of you rehashing?
--What do you talk about?
--How much time are you spending together?
--And what do you do together during this time spent together?

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
B
B
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

Hehe... we have someone else around here who knows about the whole PoJA/IB/AO trifecta whilst shopping.

Are we talking about Melodylane and the lettuce? laugh

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

H
H
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

Are we talking about Melodylane and the lettuce? laugh

I'll never tell... I can't... I just about choked on mile-high hair and aquanet!

TRT -

You shouldn't be rehashing your affair. Have you offered every detail your wife has asked for?

After the details of the affair are known, it should not be brought up again. Doing so only serves to drag you both back to day 1 of recovery.

And THAT is the advice of Dr. Willard F. Harley Jr., Ph.D. - founder of this program and owner of this website.

Give her every detail she asks for, submit to a polygraph if you must, but beyond that any "rehashing" of the past is a waste of precious time you could be utilizing in increasing each others' LB$ balances.

That DOESN'T mean that you should throw that in her face, though. You have to be WILLING to answer her questions. She will have to come to the realization that bringing the affair up is bad for your marriage at some point.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

M
M

laugh

M
M
Any of you other wayward have a moment where you felt like this were becoming real and you did a horrible thing? I *know* I did something absolutely terrible, but the past two days have seen me feeling so miserable about my actions that I don't really know what to do but plow through.

That is all you can do: plow forward. Either she will choose to recover with you, or not, and you have to respect that choice.

I heard MrWondering say here once to a wayward that when you had your affair, at some point you deliberately smashed your moral compass. During recovery, you will find you've been given a new one. It sounds like you are acquiring this, and facing up to a lot of the unpleasant things you've done.

Guilt is a good motivator.

And AI is confused as to where she's supposed to be in all of this. Should we start moving forward? Should we start recovering? Should we keep rehashing the same painful things? Someone has to have a suggestion or something... (I'm looking at you, Gloveoil)

Once everything has been said about the affair, you should not keep rehashing it. Dwelling on the mistakes of the past does not make for a good intimate conversation.

M
M
Originally Posted by GloveOil
...And AI is confused as to where she's supposed to be in all of this. Should we start moving forward? Should we start recovering? Should we keep rehashing the same painful things? Someone has to have a suggestion or something... (I'm looking at you, Gloveoil)
I don't do generalities too well. Let's get more specific:

--What are the two of you rehashing?
--What do you talk about?
--How much time are you spending together?
--And what do you do together during this time spent together?

Please answer these! laugh

markos #2633137 06/06/12 03:55 PM
H
H
Douche-canoe...

Er, I mean TRT (just kidding bud!),

So, when you say you've been "rehashing painful things," do you mean that you are recounting painful life experiences to each other? Experiences OTHER than the affair?

That, sir, can not only be expected, but is a GOOD thing. This is a part of Radical Honesty - particularly Historical Honesty.

For instance, as part of my "all-in" for recovery after my wife's affair, I revealed to her that I had been molested as a child. A fact she never knew even after being together for 13 years.

Take note; I don't allow my childhood experiences to control my adult decisions - but that was a particular piece of Historical Honesty that was difficult for me to reveal.

Page 10 of 36 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 35 36

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 501 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation