Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 46 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 45 46
C
C
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Originally Posted by Zhamila
The kiddos live with us full-time, and spend alternating weekends with their other parents:

DSD: 17
DS: 14
DD: 10
DS: 7
So when they are all with you, there should be no problem abandoning the whole lot of them for an evening out. The older ones can look after the younger ones, can't they?

What about lunchtimes? How are you fixed for lunch with your H while the kids are at school?

My earlier point was that Zhamila can't make this time together pleasant on her end (just look at the post about their dinner out where her husband 'kept up all night' responding to her complaints positively) and knowing Steve, he would have never said that to her, that they were not ready for UA, unless he felt it was something for her to work on. The man does not mince words or talk to you about your spouse's fault--he talks to you about what you need to work on. "You need the basics" means YOU. Otherwise he would have said that she was not safe to spend time with him yet, until AM was completed.

He didn't.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
M
M
**edit**

Last edited by MBLBanker; 06/09/12 05:29 AM. Reason: Non-MB advice, please refrain from posting to otherr's help threads until you become familiar with the Marriage Builder's basic concepts.
S
S
Originally Posted by CWMI
My earlier point was that Zhamila can't make this time together pleasant on her end (just look at the post about their dinner out where her husband 'kept up all night' responding to her complaints positively) and knowing Steve, he would have never said that to her, that they were not ready for UA, unless he felt it was something for her to work on. The man does not mince words or talk to you about your spouse's fault--he talks to you about what you need to work on. "You need the basics" means YOU. Otherwise he would have said that she was not safe to spend time with him yet, until AM was completed.

He didn't.
Zhamila, I regret weighing in on your thread contradicting what you were told by Steve Harley about UA time. I should not have challenged what Steve was telling you and suggested that he was watering down his father's programme.

I said what I said because, during my own coaching, Dr Harley is strict about the 15 hours. However, you are coaching with Steve who knows about your specific situation and has advised you accordingly. It might be a good idea for you to clarify his reasons when you next speak to him, in order to understand what he is trying to get you to do.

My ideas might be of use once Steve tells you that you can increase your time together.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
HHH, I do not appreciate the manner in which you are attempting to help me. I find these phrases hurtful and disrespectful:

Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Cut the crap.

We are here to call you on YOUR bullcrap in YOUR marriage

Your up and down drama queen act

are you here to be a diva

Please stop. I would also appreciate your removing this personal attack.

Thank you.

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
CWMI, I do not appreciate the manner in which you are attempting to help me. I find your personal attacks hurtful and inaccurate:

My earlier point was that Zhamila can't make this time together pleasant on her end (just look at the post about their dinner out where her husband 'kept up all night' responding to her complaints positively)

This has never happened, where do you get this idea? Also, I "can't" make time together pleasant? I do not appreciate this disrespectful remark.

...and knowing Steve, he would have never said that to her...unless he felt it was something for her to work on.

Were you there? How do you know this?

As I've asked you before: please stop the disrespectful comments.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I regret weighing in on your thread contradicting what you were told by Steve Harley about UA time. I should not have challenged what Steve was telling you and suggested that he was watering down his father's programme.

I said what I said because, during my own coaching, Dr Harley is strict about the 15 hours. However, you are coaching with Steve who knows about your specific situation and has advised you accordingly. It might be a good idea for you to clarify his reasons when you next speak to him, in order to understand what he is trying to get you to do.

My ideas might be of use once Steve tells you that you can increase your time together.

Hi SugarCane,

I appreciate your advice, and it encourages me to ask Steve about it when we meet next.

I am asking him in our next session, so thanks!

Elizabeth Bowen

S
S
Thanks, Gdar.

Well, someting kind of magical happened last night. Here's the scoop:

H said several times this week, "Fine, let's separate." or "Fine, let's build an exit strategy." Mostly in response to disagreements like what time we should turn on the AC, when we should discuss the budget, etc. Not real helpful.

So I asked him yesterday why he kept saying that, is that what he wants? He said no, that's what I want (hmmm, really?). So I told him that's not what I want, I want a great marriage. Could we agree not to use that threatening phrase anymore, because it hijacks me and I have a harder time solving our problems? He agreed.

So...with that out of the way, we agreed to meet for dinner after my DDs dance recital dress rehearsal.

At dinner, he started doing 'verbal jiu-jitsu' with me. When I complained about something, he said, "I think I'm hearing you say X, is that right?" Yes. "And you'd feel better if I did Y, right?" Wow, yes! "OK, that's what I'll do." I teased him, "What are you doing? Are you my therapist now?" - it was cute and we laughed.

He told me it's a strategy Steve had taught him. His main motivation for using it was so I didn't go "on and on" about something. I said I LOVE it! It makes me feel heard and seen.

He kept doing that all night. It was awesome. Here's the magic:

For the first time in months, I ENJOYED his company and I want MORE of him.

I had forgotten how great that feels! I am happy today.

And yes, I told him, "I really enjoyed your company last night. I had so much fun with you!" I'm gonna go hug him (he likes that).
Is this the "up all night" post?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
C
C
Yes, that's it.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
N
N
Zhamila,

Would it be possible for you to tape your phone sessions with Steve?

Or could you make a list of questions you have for him PRIOR to the session and take notes on his answers?

That might help you to remember exactly what you asked and he replied.

I know it was always hard for me to recall the exact wording and sometimes it may make a big difference.

Dday- Feb 1998
Recovered!!
C
C
Zhamila, I have never personally attacked you and have spoken to the moderators about why my post was removed and labeled as such. I am satisfied about the answer.

I cannot imagine a date night more unpleasant than one which involves repeated complaints (okay, maybe rape or inviting an AP along or someone ending up murdered, but you understand what I mean, right?). UA time should be pleasant. Your dinner out sounded pleasant enough for you. I question the enjoyability factor for your H. And I love complaining, too! You should read my thread from when we were in coaching...I think it was "One more time with feeling" but I am not sure. I get all funky when I read my earliest threads because I get indignant: oh, he did that, I forgot! *stews* What a jerk! *plots*

Then I remember it was years ago and isn't something going on now. But most of all, I remember that there were a few people who didn't believe me when I reported about our sessions with Steve. So I believe you, that he said you weren't ready for the 15 hours, and my intent is and always has been to help you to not blow it off as intended toward your husband. Your H was, imho, a very intentional man on that dinner date, focused on your marriage success, while you appear, imho, as someone who thought a date meant a free-for-all on complaints toward a complicit husband.

That's going to get you nowhere, quickly.

(Oscar Wilde)
C
C
And in no way do I think everything is your fault. I just want to help you point the gun away from your own foot, kwim?

(Oscar Wilde)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Is this the "up all night" post?

OK, well "he kept doing that all night" doesn't mean I complained all night. He literally started using this phrase on everything I said: news story, something from work, everything. It became a funny joke, I did it to him too, & we laughed a lot.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Nerlycrzy
Zhamila,

Would it be possible for you to tape your phone sessions with Steve?

Or could you make a list of questions you have for him PRIOR to the session and take notes on his answers?

That might help you to remember exactly what you asked and he replied.

I know it was always hard for me to recall the exact wording and sometimes it may make a big difference.

I do bring a list of questions and take notes on his responses. I also write down his exact phrases.

But I think recording is a good idea. I'll try to figure out how to do that.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I cannot imagine a date night more unpleasant than one which involves repeated complaints.

Your H was, imho, a very intentional man on that dinner date, focused on your marriage success, while you appear, imho, as someone who thought a date meant a free-for-all on complaints toward a complicit husband.

Perhaps next time you could ask clarifying questions rather than jumping to conclusions? I never said I complained all night. I said "he kept doing that all night," NOT "so I kept complaining all night." Big difference.

He said it in response to everything I said. It became a funny joke between us, I started using the phrase too, and we laughed a lot.

Feel free to ask, and I'll always clarify.

Elizabeth Bowen

C
C
I do bring a list of questions and take notes on his responses. I also write down his exact phrases.

So you do have his exact phrasing written down about UA? <<clarifying question, per your orders, ma'am.

(Oscar Wilde)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J

So you do have his exact phrasing written down about UA? <<clarifying question, per your orders, ma'am.

smile

Good question! I dug through my notes on that one, and all I wrote down was what I told you before, about the fitness, not being ready, etc. It wasn't one of my "robustest" note sessions, unfortunately - it was our very first session with Steve, and I was writing furiously and had tons of questions to ask him. Since then, I take way better notes and our sessions aren't 2 hours as often, so it's easier to keep up.

That's why I think NerlyCrzy's recording idea is a good one. I think it would be a good idea to be able to listen again anyway. I "feel" like a sponge, but I know I miss things because emotions sometimes run high during our counseling - either "happy" high or "curious" high, sometimes, "distressed" etc. Plus I get distracted by my H's reactions/facial expressions while Steve talks - so notes are good, but recording would be better.

Tomorrow is the day! After 1 1/2 weeks, we have our next session with Steve. Lots has happened: some good stuff, some stuff we could use guidance on. I always look forward to our counseling time....it's very helpful for keeping me moving forward.

Elizabeth Bowen

C
C
We had some together chatting with Steve, usually at the beginning of the session and at the end, unless we ran long and Steve didn't have a pressing issue for both of to hear instructions on. Are you speaking to him alone? Like really alone? H and I would swap times on the phone, while the other went out of earshot, most certianly out of sight. Facial expressions should not be seen...do you have two phones? We usually went to other corners of the house while we were both on the phone with him (landline) and didn't see each other.

I imagine if you're on a single cell, you could put it on speaker and sit on opposite sides, facing away, to get rid of that distraction.

Marriage building isn't pretty! Stay out of your H's time w/Steve, and tell him to stay out of yours. Even during the time together, look at the wall or the floor rather than being distracted by your H. You can look at him later.

(Oscar Wilde)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
We had some together chatting with Steve, usually at the beginning of the session and at the end, unless we ran long and Steve didn't have a pressing issue for both of to hear instructions on. Are you speaking to him alone? Like really alone? H and I would swap times on the phone, while the other went out of earshot, most certianly out of sight.

We are usually together, except at the end he gives us instructions separately. During the session we're together unless something's really wrong and he has to "separate us," (at least this is the impression I get, maybe I'm wrong).

I don't know...I kind of think we should note each others' emotional reactions to what we're hearing during the sessions. It's helpful for understanding my H. Hmmm. I'm gonna have to think about that one.

Elizabeth Bowen

C
C
Ask Steve. We usualy talked to him together at the start, and then he would ask to speak to one of us, then the other. If watching your H's reactions is distracting you from the advice, I suggest you not watch and just listen.

Just try it.

I am surprised that Steve doesn't want you to spend time together, but coaches you together. Seems odd.

(Oscar Wilde)
C
C
I found it helpful to judge my H's emotional reactions when I watched him. I found it better for my marriage to watch his actions toward me than to judge his emotions. Like when we were out the other day and came on wake and he took it down to ~10mph for enough time for the wake to pass before getting on plane again--I didn't have to see love stars in his eyes or hear a total change of heart about how he feels about driving fast in the boat to feel cared for. I didn't even need to take control (oh, I offered!), I only needed to hear that he enjoyed driving and he would accomodate me and see that he did.

If I judged his emotional reactions, I could tell he wanted to jump that wake. But he wanted me more, by putting that boundary around him: I will not jump wakes. I will not jump wakes. Lol.

(Oscar Wilde)
Page 17 of 46 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 624 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation