Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 36 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 35 36
P
P
Originally Posted by therightthing
I have lied and I have held back, but I think they were things that I used in my manipulation tactics to lessen my guilt and responsibility to AI and her pain. They obviously count, though.

Not a "False Recovery" .... just a piss-poor beginning.

Now that you know better, you will do better.

T
OP Offline
T
More lies revealed. I effed up some of my "story" and forced myself to come clean. She's obviously angry... I screwed up. I'm sorry.

B
B
Originally Posted by Pepperband
I have lied and I have held back, but I think they were things that I used in my manipulation tactics to lessen my guilt and responsibility to AI and her pain. They obviously count, though.

Not a "False Recovery" .... just a piss-poor beginning.

Now that you know better, you will do better.

I agree. I think you've been trickle truthing AI.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

T
OP Offline
T
And now I'm completely clean. The above post was a portion of the truth. I don't know if I should go into detail here, but when I said I slept with the OW twice, I lied. It was more like 10 times, and I *did* "achieve" a few times.

There were also more women with whom I flirted with, including many of my wife's friends.

I am sorry for lying you you all, but I am most sorry about lying to and destroying my wife's life.

I'm now waiting for my wife to decide if I should stay or go. I will keep you posted.

Last edited by therightthing; 06/16/12 03:24 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
Also, I admit that I am one of the "Vultures" that are currently being discussed in another thread on this forum. I frequently went after women who had recently gotten out of relationships, or we're experiencing a hardship of any sort. I would make them feel better about pretty much anything, and exploit their sense of loss and need for connection with the willingness to fill that void.

I am a vulture. I manipulate and use people.

B
B
Also, I admit that I am one of the "Vultures" that are currently being discussed in another thread on this forum. I frequently went after women who had recently gotten out of relationships, or we're experiencing a hardship of any sort. I would make them feel better about pretty much anything, and exploit their sense of loss and need for connection with the willingness to fill that void.

I am a vulture. I manipulate and use people.
So why then should AI give you another chance?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

T
OP Offline
T
Honestly, she shouldn't. But I'd like her to. This could be an incredible relationship if I get ahold of my Angry Outbursts, Disrespectful Judgements, commit to full honesty, and do everything humanly possible to show her that I'm in this 100%.

She thinks the lies aren't over, but I'm done. Now I have to work my a$$ off.

But no, she houldnt give me another chance. I certainly wouldn't. All I know is that I'll have to live with whatever decision she makes, and work my [censored] of to justly compensate her for everything I've done.

G
G
You gotta problem with stuff on that EP list? Ater 7 years of cheating? YGBFKM, right? I thought so.

They're not called "Convenient" Precautions. They're "Extraordinary" for a reason. Seven years of reasons, in your case.

In the early days of recovery, I wouldn't go out of the house without letting TWC know where I was going. I had my phone on & was accessible to her at all times. I asked her permission if I wanted to go to the hardware store, or to go to the grocery store for a jug of laundry detergent. We changed accounts. I shared passwords. I deleted the gmail account I'd used during the affair. And none of that was enough to earn me trust, nor should it have been.

At this point, forget about trust. Trust from AI isn't what you most need right now anyway. You had trust before, and it didn't really do jack-s*** for you as a person, did it? What you're trying to earn right now is a 2nd chance. And for a guy in your shoes, a 2nd chance is the biggest trump in the whole deck o' cards! Better than trust!

And earning a 2nd chance takes time. She might say she's willing to try, she might hope it works, but really, what guarantee does she have? With your track record, what guarantee has she got? What verbal guarantee can you give her? You ground your credibility into powder by your own hand. What guarantee can you give her?

You want guarantees that she's all-in? Yeah, and I wanna brand-new, candy-apple red Mustang convertible to roll into my driveway by 5 o'clock today.

But if I decide that's what I want, then the real path to that outcome is work, and frugality and saving money and denying myself things that I'd want short-term.

And, true, I still might not ever get that car; the kids could need braces, the damned squirrels could chew through a wire in the attic, the car I have now could get totalled & I could get hosed in the insurance reimbursement, my wife could get sured by a patient in the hospital where she works, the ex-husband of the woman I had the affair with could snap one day & decide he wants to settle all accounts with a bang & blow me away in my driveway one morning. All kinds of bad crap could happen in my life, or yours.

So does that mean you don't give 100% effort? Heck no. If you hear yourself asking for guarantees in life, you'd better have the sense to start laughin' your [censored] off at yourself right away. You just do the best you can. All-in. And you be patient. You can boost your odds of having a great marriage that AI is all-aboard on. You can't guarantee it. But you can guarantee failure if you take the course of making your own efforts conditional.

Switching gears, I hear you get angry from time to time. At what? Curious to know...

I used to be angry a lot. Angry almost never at my wife, but angry at myself. Angry for the crappy choices I made & couldn't undo. If I dwelled on it, I could get so angry that I'd want to punch holes in the walls. (The only reason I didn't punch the walls out was because I was enough of a wuss that I was afraid to hit a wall stud & shatter my wrist into a thousand chips of bone.) Channel the anger into comething productive. Working out is great. A 60-lb. "body" bag & a pair of 16oz boxing gloves helps. Skipping rope helps. Thinking of lists of things you can do for AI helps. And then followng through.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
T
OP Offline
T
She's said I can stay for now. She hasn't decided yet.
I consider myself lucky at the moment, but am respectfully waiting for her decision. During which time I will continue watching my AO's, DJ's, be honest and respectful, try to fulfill her needs, though she's refused me recently as I came clean, and do everything I possibly can to show her that I CHOOSE to do this because WANT to do this.

I'll keep you posted.

T
OP Offline
T
She's said I can stay for now. She hasn't decided yet.
I consider myself lucky at the moment, but am respectfully waiting for her decision. During which time I will continue watching my AO's, DJ's, be honest and respectful, try to fulfill her needs, though she's refused me recently as I came clean, and do everything I possibly can to show her that I CHOOSE to do this because WANT to do this.

I'll keep you posted.

B
B
Did I post this to you yet?
Another excellent radio clip on Dr. Harley explaining forgiveness compared to just compensation.

Radio Clip explaining Just Compensation

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

T
OP Offline
T
Thank you, GloveOil.

I get angry at pretty much everything. And when I get angry, I take it out on my wife. I snap at the kids, and I yell at my wife. And I stay where everyone can see me being pissed off. And make their lives hell.

I've made an appointment for Anger Management sessions starting on Thrsday of next week. The 21st. 5:30pm. Expect me to post almost directly after that.

Again, thank you for replying.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Did I post this to you yet?
Another excellent radio clip on Dr. Harley explaining forgiveness compared to just compensation.

Radio Clip explaining Just Compensation

No, but I saw that you had posted it on AI's thread. Are you getting these from the archives, or is there somewhere I can grab these myself without the membership?

T
OP Offline
T
Just listened to the piece on just compensation and took 2 pages of notes. I've come away with this:

I have to be all in, 100% honest, transparent, let no one but my wife make Love Bank deposits, follow No Contact for life, avoid friendships with anyone of the opposite sex, follow the Policy of Joint Agreement, create a romantic relationship with my wife that surpasses what we ever had, and follow through with all of the above, while ensuring that I will act upon the Extraordinary Precautions that my wife sets out for me.

I have to do this all because I want to, and all without fail. I have to avoid any Love Busters, and be completely respectful.

And I have to understand and accept that she has the right to end the relationship at anytime, if she wants to, for any reason.

I also have to acknowledge and accept that my BS has the right to refuse my offer to carry out the above mentioned terms.

I will do this.

Last edited by therightthing; 06/16/12 04:20 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
A line has been drawn that I do not wish or expect to cross.

One thing happened that upset me, though. She brought up the day one of our friends died, a subject that she knows is a very upsetting thing for me and something I always ask not to talk about, because she wanted to know what happened that day between myself and his sister - a woman with whom I had sex.

I got very upset because it felt to me that she was using that event against me, and knew that it would get a rise out of me.

I asked that she not bring his death up again, and he said that I should not be making demands. We then arged about whether or not I was there when he died, and she said I was having an angry outburst and walked away.

I won't apologize for being upset about the subject of a friend dying. This is something "gets me every time." I will apologize for my outburst.

T
OP Offline
T
In additions to the EPs that senhas added to my current list of EPs, she is requiring me to do a few other things she is calling Extreme Precautions, including signing the van over to her, putting a new password on a bank account that I will not have access to, and signing a post-nup that will be set out in her best interest.

There are more which I will post later (if she gives me the list after adding more).

I have agreed to all of them.

G
G
...She brought up the day one of our friends died, a subject that she knows is a very upsetting thing for me and something I always ask not to talk about, because she wanted to know what happened that day between myself and his sister - a woman with whom I had sex. ...

...I asked that she not bring his death up again...
Well, waitaminute, TRT: Which do you think she was bringing up -- the fact of your friend's death, or the tangled relationship that included your history with his sister? Answer, please.

Seems to me the facts of your friend's death are pretty well established. That's not what she was really bringing up. If you'd drop your guard and LISTEN to your wife, I think you'd hear that what she was asking was not about his death. It was about the relationships -- including the one that was (or that later turned?) improper.

You don't get a free pass on truthfully answering her questions that relate to your infidelity by ducking behind your friend's tombstone. (And if that's what you were trying for, that'd be pretty weak, wouldn't you agree?) You listen patiently to what your wife is asking to know -- and if you're not sure, the you calmly ask her to clarify (that's how you engage in conversation & meet her need for honesty). Then you answer meekly, humbly, truthfully -- in short, honorably.

There's no shortcut.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
B
B
Just listened to the piece on just compensation and took 2 pages of notes. I've come away with this:

I have to be all in, 100% honest, transparent, let no one but my wife make Love Bank deposits, follow No Contact for life, avoid friendships with anyone of the opposite sex, follow the Policy of Joint Agreement, create a romantic relationship with my wife that surpasses what we ever had, and follow through with all of the above, while ensuring that I will act upon the Extraordinary Precautions that my wife sets out for me.

I have to do this all because I want to, and all without fail. I have to avoid any Love Busters, and be completely respectful.

And I have to understand and accept that she has the right to end the relationship at anytime, if she wants to, for any reason.

I also have to acknowledge and accept that my BS has the right to refuse my offer to carry out the above mentioned terms.

I will do this.

I'm so glad you have some excellent posters on your thread.

You did take excellent notes. I get all the clips from the archives and you do not have to pay a membership.

Dr. Harley puts it very simple. If POJA and PORH are always followed, then there never can an affair happen if these two policies are followed. Plus you will make sure you are taking extraordinary care of your spouse.

Why don't you schedule a poly and get all the lies out on the table?
Polygraph Testing

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by BrainHurts

I will do this.

I'm so glad you have some excellent posters on your thread.

You did take excellent notes. I get all the clips from the archives and you do not have to pay a membership.

Dr. Harley puts it very simple. If POJA and PORH are always followed, then there never can an affair happen if these two policies are followed. Plus you will make sure you are taking extraordinary care of your spouse.

Why don't you schedule a poly and get all the lies out on the table?
Polygraph Testing

I don't have the money, but AI has made it absolutely clear that we will find the money, even of it takes months.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by GloveOil
TRT: Which do you think she was bringing up -- the fact of your friend's death, or the tangled relationship that included your history with his sister? Answer, please.

The tangled relationship. I had a rash, knee jerk reaction. It was me.

AI gave me this list of requirements in order for her to even consider recovery. What's the general consensus on it:

- Car in her name/joint name
- Possible post-nup protecting HER
- Personal bank I have no access to
- COMPLETE adherence to EPs
- keyloggers/ controls on all internet
- Returning to old job, even with location change, NOT AN OPTION
- No more lovebusting or manipulation. Zero tolerance. Walk away.
- COMPLETE honesty about all emotional and physical infidelity will be given, in detail, however small
- Polygraph will be taken to ensure total honesty. �If his story was false, we are DONE.

I have to agree to and complete all of these before he will consider committing to recovery.

Page 14 of 36 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 35 36

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 473 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation