Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jah Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Please someone help me!

I have taken the advice of exposure, and it seems like I might be in big trouble now. Please see my other post - "Three affairs? Is it time to quit?"

I'm sorry to start a new thread, but after exposing the OM of the affair, he has written back with threats. I need to know what to do NOW.

In summary, I went to his facebook and saved all his contact, and then wrote this to each of them:

Dear friend/family of xxx xxx:
It grieves me to write this letter but I believe you should know the kind of person he really is. xxx has been having an affair with my wife. If you have any influence on xxx, please do what you can to get him to stop. I want to stay married, but the affair must end. I also hope that knowing this will help you to protect yourself and/or your significant other from him.

I would be happy to provide the evidence to anyone who asks.

Thank you, xxx

-----
Then this is the e-mail that I sent to him:

Hey XXX,
I have reason to believe that you are still contacting my wife. This is my last warning.

Cut all contact with her. Phone, e-mail, chat, everything. Cut all contact or I will expose you.

You don't think I know where you work? XXX. I will expose you to all your supervisors and colleagues for what you are doing. You don't think I have any connections? I'm clinical faculty and assistant director to one of the UH medical school divisions. I will find a way to end your career.

You don't think I know your friends? You have 262 'friends and family' on facebook. Don't bother blocking me, I have all their contacts stored on my computer. I will contact every single one of them, and I will tell them what has happened. You can go ahead and explain yourself to them however you want. I will find a way to ruin your social life.

You don't think I know your family? I found a several 'family' of yours on the internet, with phone numbers. I will call them and tell them that you are a marriage wrecker. I will ruin your family life.

Do not contact my wife again. You don't think I will find out? I will. And I don't care if she contacts you or you contact her. If I find anything still going on between the two of you, I will expose you and ruin your entire life.

This is your last warning.

-------------
This is the response I got:

Mr. xxx,
You have threatened me with libel, slander, invasion of privacy, and possibly even implied physical harm on two separate occasions in the form of electronic communication using your University of xxx e-mail account.

In addition, you have already violated the University of xxx�s Executive Policy E2.210 (Use and Management of Information Technology Resources � III. Responsible Use), as well as �708 (Unauthorized computer access in the first degree - class B felony) of the xxx Computer Crime Statute.

If you pursue or attempt to pursue any of the threats that you have levied against me, I will go to the police, the medical board, and the university. I will get a restraining order against you. I will bring criminal and civil charges of stalking, libel, slander, harassment, and invasion of privacy against you (several of which are considered felonies by the State of xxx). I will not rest until I see you convicted of every crime of which you are guilty.

I have spoken extensively with my lawyer regarding this manner. If you choose to act without discretion and without regard for my privacy, the next communication you receive will be from him.

-------

I have never threatened harm specifically, unless you consider an earlier e-mail I told him that I would 'go after him'. I have not contacted his work or family (by phone) yet. Just the facebook. I messaged his facebook friends, family, and workplace the message above.

I am a physician, and I'm not willing to risk my carreer over this type of thing.

I understand that libel (written) and slander (verbal) means saying false things, and I realize that he does not has a case on that. But he says I am harassing him, invading his privacy, and misused the university e-mail, which I am not sure if he might be right. I don't care if he issues a restraining order, I have no intention of meeting him anyways.

----Please advise me. Also, please do not give non-specific information if you are not 100% sure, such as "I don't think that constitutes as harrassment or invasion of privacy." I need to get some specific recommendations that is in accordance with the law. Thank you.

BH: 35
WW: 28
No children. Married 4 years.
D-Day (month?): Apr, 2010. Jan, 2012. May, 2012.
Plan A: Not sure; since marriage counseling began Jan 2012?
Plan B: 6/23/2012
No contact letter: 7/5/2012
Currently in recovery, and thankful to everyone here.
B
B
Stop saying stuff like that!!! There is no libel or slander for telling the truth but your execution was/is horrible. OM is likely just trying to get you to shut up but you should look at how you are wording your emails because on the off chance he does want to slap you back, you are making it easy for him.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
This kind of idiotic response is par for the course. Waywards go ballistic in exposure and say lots of ridiculous things. When people are having an angry outburst, they are insane.

Let it roll off until you hear something from a lawyer. Which you won't, because waywards do not want the attention. What they want is to puff up with false bravado and scare you off.

There's no way you are in violation of computer crime statutes for sending email or facebook messages, unless you were using state computers to do it.

If you do get a restraining order against you, that would be GREAT, because then the judge would probably be willing to grant a reciprocal restraining order keeping the OP away from you and your family! That would be ideal. A restraining order doesn't have legal consequences other than "stay away from this person," which is what you want, anyway.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
N
N
I need to get some specific recommendations that is in accordance with the law.

You want 100% reliable legal advice in your (secret) jurisdiction about (somewhat unrevealed) communication made on a computer attached to your employer, possibly violating employment terms (which we do not have access to)? REALLY??

Hire a lawyer, amigo.

M
M
Cut all contact or I will expose you.

You are not supposed to threaten to expose. You are supposed to expose.

Threatening to expose is a big mistake, and it is not Marriage Builders advice.

Please don't do it. The plans don't tend to work as well when you don't follow directions.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Exposure is supposed to take the form of a sudden tsunami of truth.

By warning ahead of time, you take all the "sudden" and all the "tsunami" out of it.

Now he knows it's coming, so it won't be a shock.

Now he's had time to get a lawyer, and make a plan.

Now he has time to go tell people about his friend's crazy husband, who doesn't even know his marriage is over, yada, yada, yada... He can spin the story to his benefit.

M
M
Dude, right is on your side! As black_raven said, there is no slander or libel for telling the truth. Don't they teach the case of John Peter Zenger in schools any more?

P
P
I agree about getting an attorney since he used the university's computer system to threaten and expose. Exposure in and of itself is not illegal or actionable unless you threaten someone (i.e., your earlier email telling him you would "go after" him.) He could interpret that to mean physical violence.

JAH, why did you send OM more than one email? You don't threaten exposure, you just do it. I'm afraid you may have overstepped in the way you handled this. Normally, the person you are exposing wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on. That may not be the case here.

Get an attorney to CYA.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
B
B
I don't think an attorney is necessary at this point. OM is likely just ticked and full of it. If something happens, then you may have to but I wouldn't worry about it yet. Just stop "warning" people.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
H
H
JAH:
Just a point of view for you...
Just go ahead and expose. No University or hospital will support his behavior or allow him to force your being disciplined as he has "puffed." If that is his best punch, then you have nothing to worry about.
Take if from me, someone who was afraid to expose, who nearly did himself in after his WW's response to his exposure (she frightened me to death / threatened me to death), and who was afraid for months to expose....
Exposure is your best route.
BTW, I spent more than a little time as a University Hospital Administrator in the northeast.
Nobody ever regretted doing the right thing my friend.
Just go to the Public library and use a computer there.
Listen to the vets here. Just expose.
Do it and stand tall.
Blessings, I understand your torment first hand.

Hurting Turkey
Me: BS 58
WW 51
Hers: DS 24 DS 19
Mine: DD 30 DS 29, DS 24
Ours: DS 12

Exposure didn't turn things around in our marriage, but it sure did end the A. Limping along with a WW who still won't tell the truth about what happened but hey, we are still married and who knows....

Last edited by hurtingturkey; 06/20/12 04:25 PM.
J
jah Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Let me specify a few things . . .

I had ONE e-mail prior to exposure, telling him to back off. It was BEFORE I had time to read everything on MarriageBuilders, and I had a suspicion only. I did the full exposure thing only after reading the 'exposure 101'. I know I handled some of this exposure thing wrong, but I found out details on how to properly do it afterwards.

I did NOT use a public computer or university computer to send these things out. Only my home computer. However, I forgot that is is a gmail.[universityname].com e-mail account.

There are some suggestions here to hire a lawyer, some saying no need to. I have a few lawyer friends I am contacting now for some general advice, and I'll hire a real lawyer only if I need to.

Please keep the advice coming, I really appreciate it. I'm not sure if this exposure thing was the right thing to do anymore.

N
N
I'm not sure if this exposure thing was the right thing to do anymore.

Clean, clear, clinical, and comprehensive exposure IS the right thing to do.

Your version - tentative, marginally threatening, and compromised by your reliance on University networks - not so much!

M
M
Originally Posted by jah
Please keep the advice coming, I really appreciate it. I'm not sure if this exposure thing was the right thing to do anymore.

jah, we are not attorneys, of course, so we can't possibly counsel you about the laws in your state, but I will just tell you that many, many waywards threaten lawsuits over exposure. This is just your typical wayward huffing and puffing to try to scare you.

I have seen hundreds of these threats over the years and have yet to see one single one that actually brought a suit. We think it is sort of funny because they have more to lose than the exposing person! The truth is a defense to libel and slander, however, if a suit were brought, the infidel would have to turn over his cell phone and email records, and have his affair dragged through the public arena. So it is in his interest to NOT bring a cause of action.

I would just ignore him. You should be fine as long as you didn't use your company's computer.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by jah
I understand that libel (written) and slander (verbal) means saying false things, and I realize that he does not has a case on that. But he says I am harassing him, invading his privacy, and misused the university e-mail, which I am not sure if he might be right. I don't care if he issues a restraining order, I have no intention of meeting him anyways.

He had an affair with your wife and you are "invading his privacy?!"" rotflmao Does that mean he wants the privacy to carry on an affair with your wife?? grin

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
jah Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Let me specify, I used my HOME computer. The e-mail was a g-mail account associated with the university. I didn't do ANYTHING at work.

Okay, I already am contacting some of my lawyer friends for general advice. Any other general advice you have would be helpful.

J
jah Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Oh, one more thing . . . please everyone forget my last line of 'I need some specific advice in accordance to the law'. I am already contacting friends (lawyers) that can help me specifically with the law. So any advice is welcome.

S
S
The skank in my sitch threatened legal action against me. Needless to say, it never happened.

A lot of BS's panic after exposure, worried that they shouldn't have done it, when the repercussions first start. Just know what you're going through is natural and that it IS the right thing to do! Don't be ruled by your fear and you'll be fine!

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

M
M
I was threatened also...POSOW didn't do anything except threaten.

M
M
O yeah, I was threatened by all 3 OW's! rotflmao

Blabla LAW blablabla LIBEL blablabla SLANDER blablabla HARRASMENT.

Intimidation tactics to scare you of and to really show their true colors. Bummer, such trash i would never want in my life.

We're now about a year later and 1 affair partner still regularly tries to sent the sherrif's after me. They call, we chat, they're used to it by now, just shows how incredibly mentally unstable people are who need to be in affairs.

Stay cool, decisive, don't let them scare you and intimidate you.

If you got your information from public sources you are all right.

And I just kept the image infront of me

OW: MFJ is slandering, harrasing etc me
Judge: why would she say these things
OW: well, laugh laugh

I'm not sure if your university policy is not to sent personal emails, that I don't know.

But don't sent him anymore emails, and a mutual restraining order would be great, him against your family, including wife, that would be awesome!

Me BW (37)
WH (37)
DD1 6 yrs DD2 2 yr

A man who abandons his wife and children because of his infidelity is no price. I can do better then that, I deserve better then that.

The difficulties and struggles of today are but the price we must pay for the accomplishments and victories of tomorrow

Men must be honest with themselves before they can be honest with others. A man who is not honest with himself presents a hopeless case
M
M
I was threatened also (i live in canada) when i exposed my wifes mother's affair on facebook (no warning i just did it to help my wifes moms husband) on her public wall .. her OM threatend libel on me and told me he was going to take legal action against me because the exposure hurt his business and he lost clients to his mechanics shop and alot of revenue. (they lived in a small town and most of his work came from their church members)

Needless to say nothing ever came of it other than I never hear from them anymore and the OM now lives with my wifes mother and has no work due to my exposure and they told me they will never talk to me again unless i appologize for what I did and repent of my sin agasint them. I just laughed .... MY SIN?? ... lol ..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 493 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation