Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 36 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 36
TinT #2645648 07/13/12 11:10 AM
P
P
Then you are not serious about recovery.

When I told Markos to leave, he left. HE'S now back home and we're recovering BECAUSE he respected me enough to leave.

You have no respect for her.

Ask her to tell you EVERYTHING. The bad AND the good.

The bad OUTWEIGHS the good. You are not serious.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
Originally Posted by therightthing
I will not argue with you over this, pepperband. Call me a whore and an abuser and a murderer, if you will.

Back to the dramaqueen hyperbole.
In all my years on MB, I have never called any other poster a "whore". It's not my style.

That's your concern as an advisor to my "wife".

That's right. You have been her "husband" in name only. You will know when I see reason to call you her husband.

TinT #2645652 07/13/12 11:15 AM
I was just thinking about when my W was in her A (Unbeknownst to me) and she was saying that the children were her top priority in life.

All the while, she was running around like an alley cat in heat, proposing to replace her children�s father, destroying everyone's life, being the worst possible role model our chidren could possibly have while justifying 'kids are resilient, they will be fine'.

If this is placing children as a top priority, I would hate to see the definition of neglect.

Thank GOD she finally woke up and sees how unbelievably distorted this rational was.

Last edited by 20YearHistory; 07/13/12 11:17 AM.
M
M
Markos: I asked her to stop belittling me and my efforts, I asked her to stop insulting me,

In terms of the Love Bank, what you did was a big withdrawal. You see, you are offering unsolicited advice to her on how to be a better wife. Disrespectful on your part. She's not open to such input right now.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5067b_qa.html

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
In most marriages, abuse begins when a conflict is introduced. For example, your wife might say that you did not dry the dishes properly. That's a form of abuse, because she is making a disrespectful judgment about your dish drying behavior. For you, the drying was just fine, but for her it wasn't. What you have is a simple difference of opinion on the way dishes should be dried, and your wife should have said that she would prefer your drying them the way she wants them to be dried.

But even though she made an abusive remark, you can end the cycle of abuse before it begins if you don't accelerate negativity (that means, matching her abuse with abuse of your own). What you should do is ignore the abuse on her side, and in your own mind re-translate what she said to be "I would prefer it if you would dry the dishes this way, instead of the way you are drying them."

However, if you are offended by the comment she made, and most people are offended by abuse, then you will be very tempted to come back with, "fine, dry them yourself next time." That is abusive because it's a demand (you are telling her what to do). Or you might be tempted to say, "you don't dry them any better that I do." That's abusive because it's disrespectful (you are judging her dish washing behavior). Or you might be tempted to let her have it with, "What a stupid thing to say -- you sure are full of stupid comments today." That's an angry outburst because what you say is intended to punish her for the comment she made to you. As soon as you respond to your wife's abusive comment with an abusive comment of your own, you have created a cycle of abuse where you are both abusing each other.

Your wife might then respond to your abuse with more abuse. It may be a selfish demand, it may be a disrespectful judgment, or it may be an angry outburst. That will escalate negativity even more. Then you respond with more abuse, she responds again, and on and on. Every argument is abusive, and whenever you argue or fight, think to yourself, "we are being abusive to each other. I must somehow stop this cycle of abuse."

When you argue, it will be easy to see how the other person is being abusive, but it's very difficult to see how you are being abusive. However, if you actually argue with your wife, you are being just as abusive as she. You may not be able to stop your wife's abusive behavior, because only she can do that, but you can stop your abusive behavior, and that will end all of your arguments and fights. It doesn't mean you will stop talking to each other, it simply means you will not respond to her abuse with your own abuse.

Quite frankly, if only one of you avoids abuse -- you, for example -- it will make it much easier for the other to avoid it. Take the dish washing incident. When your wife makes the abusive comment, "you don't dry the dishes right," you should interpret it to mean, "I would like it if you would dry the dishes some other way."

Focusing on her disrespectful judgments right now is like arguing about what color to paint the kitchen while the house is burning.

and I asked her to look at the change and then tell me if I hadn't done anything.

You do not realize it, but this is an attempt on your part to control her feelings.

Most men on this site at one point or another attempt to manipulate their wife's feelings.

Do not sing your own praises. Just keep working on doing better until she is singing them.

Last night I asked her to stop or I'd leave.

You threatening to leave is an attempt to manipulate and punish her.

Next time she's angry or disrespectful, just SHUT UP. Recognize that when she is angry or disrespectful toward you, you are at high risk for an angry outburst. Go to "high alert," by which I mean SHUT UP.

Only SHE knows the truth about all of this. You internetty people only know my arguing with you, and her hurting words. Ask her to tell you the truth about this past two weeks. Ask her to tell you EVERYTHING. The bad AND the good.

This is like taking an clean expensive white dress shirt, dipping it in used motor oil to make a big dirty drippy mess in the middle of the front, wearing that shirt, and saying "Look at everything! Not just the oil, but the good clean white part!"

I know the truth because I've been there, rightthing. And the truth is that your actions ruin whatever good there was. You can accept that reality and realize that you have to stop being an abuser completely, or you can debate her feelings and put forth the logical argument that your good plus your bad should add up to something positive.

Accept the Love Bank (her feelings). Love bank deposits plus love busters equals a negative balance. Over time her love bank will only become MORE sensitive to your abuse, not less.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2645686 07/13/12 11:57 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks, pepperband and Markos.
Duly noted and considered. I'm acting upon these comments.

I
I
I asked her to stop belittling me and my efforts, I asked her to stop insulting me, and I asked her to look at the change and then tell me if I hadn't done anything. .

You so clearly are not ready. You are making things worse and busting your wife's love bank down to nil. I would offer to leave so that you can work on yourself away from where you will be doing more harm than good

And I mean OFFER to leave, promising you will be with accountable people she trusts if necessary. Not threaten to leave. AI is the boss and what she says goes.

AI is not capable of true AOs right now. She has simply taken on more than anyone can bear and it has to come out somehow. One of th reasons we tell BSs not to overdo endurance is to avoid AOs.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

D
D
So she told you to leave or she didn't tell you to leave? Your story doesn't match up and you're changing it.

All this talk about wanting the best for your kids is bull$%it. The only person you're fooling is yourself-fyi.

If you were really serious, you'd sign over complete custody of your kids to your wife in that seperation agreement. Then if what you say about your kids being most important is true, you'd work extra hard to make sure you behave, because God knows you don't act as if your wife is important at all.

Oh.... and you're little "I hear you" comment to me about your phone? Clearly, you didn't, or you. Would already be posting how much you sold it for on ebay.

Me: WW 30
BH 29
Together 4.5 years, Married 3
No kids. One large, furry, white canine.
DDay #1 8/31/10 DDAY #2 1/29/12
DoroM #2645694 07/13/12 12:14 PM
T
OP Offline
T
indiegirl: I'll just that immediately. The only issue is that I actually DON'T have anyone who might hold me accountable and thy AI might trust. Do you have a suggestion?

DoroM: I heard you. I'm also not accountable to you. Thanks for the comment, though.

T
OP Offline
T
Indiegirl: I've laid this offer out to AI. I have expressly OFFERED to leave if she feels I am causing her great pain. I've old her that I would like to stay and work on this, but will leave if she wants me to, with the intention of working on myself and making myself a person who deserves to be with her and keep her safe.

I've also asked that, due to our severe financial straits, if she would like me to leave, that I leave with the MB and other books we've purchased, so that I may use them to their fullest capacity. I've also promised to have them returned to her when I've finished reading them.

I know that was a selfish demand or request, but I really don't have the cash to afford second copies, or I would have bought two copy of each for us from the beginning.

Last edited by therightthing; 07/13/12 12:28 PM.
S
S
TRT, we actually "know" you more than your BW, and even YOU know yourself. Remember, we have seen MANY like you come through here. MANY MANY MANY. Sadly, not a lot of them actually get it, and turn around, but we are hoping that outcome for you. But Hope isn't a plan, so we are helping you get there.

Go to the library and get a copy of the books, and then you won't need to spend any money, it's free. And if your library doesn't have a copy, go to the desk and ask them to inter-library loan you one. It takes a few days, but then you can use them for 4 weeks.

Now, when you were arguing with AI, and you threatened to leave, what was your motivation? Were you trying to manipulate her into behaving in a different manner? Were you trying to harm her? THink about it.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
P
P
Call the MB radio show. They give away free books to the callers who get on.

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Call the MB radio show. They give away free books to the callers who get on.

Ditto.

(DUDE, FREE COUNSELING....)

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2645723 07/13/12 12:58 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Scotland: My intention was to make it clear to AI that I wouldn't stand for her abuse, and in doing so, perpetrated abuse upon her and compounded that with the threat of leaving the marriage/house.

It was wrong. I have acknowledged that and OFFERED to leave at her request.

I will go to the library today and inquire about your suggestion. Thank you.

pepperband and Markos: I live in Canada. They do not ship outside the US, as Joyce has said on numerous occasions on the MB Radio show. I will take Scotland's advice until I can afford my own copies. Thank you.

T
OP Offline
T
His Needs, Her Needs and The One are the only two books available through our library system.

I will have to get my own copies somehow.

Thanks for the advice though, Scotland.

W
W
Markos: I asked her to stop belittling me and my efforts, I asked her to stop insulting me, and I asked her to look at the change and then tell me if I hadn't done anything. She responded with an angry outburst. Over the past two days she's given my my medicine in terms of AOs and DJs. Intentionally or unintentionally. I've been calm in the face of all of them. Last night I was rude. Last night I asked her to stop or I'd leave. I used disrespectful words.

Seriously? TRT, so far you are not assimilating the advice found here. You may very well be reading, I'll grant you that, but you must actually APPLY the concepts you've read.

What do you expect from AI? She has learned that your entire marriage - seven years worth - is a big fat LIE. It would take superhuman effort for her to refrain from AOs and DJs at this point. Her entire foundation, her worldview, has been rocked to the core. You packing your bags and telling her to "stop or else" was blatant manipulation on your part. She is lashing out at you in her hurt, her pain, and you are not keeping a rein on your emotions, your anger.

I said the other day that you must do whatever it takes, for as long as it takes, if you truly want your M to recover. If AI wants you to leave, then go - without theatrics, without threats. If she pushes your buttons, then simply tell her that you regret the pain you have caused her and that you will do whatever it takes to show extraordinary care for her, that you love her, and you want to become the husband that she deserves. If you cannot control your anger, then you need to gently remove yourself from the situation and take a time-out.

YOU CONTROL YOUR ACTIONS AND YOUR REACTIONS.

When she reacted, I packed.
Manipulation. Attempt to punish.

I didn't leave because she was still willing to talk.

I didn't leave because she told me she doesn't WANT me to leave.
Bless her, she does not know WHAT she wants at this juncture. It took my BH, broken, over TWO YEARS to decide what he wanted - divorce. And I wanted to rant and rail against that too...I wanted him to decide on *my* time schedule what he wanted to do with our marriage. Pretty damn presumptive of me after what I put him through!

She told me to leave if I can't speak calmly and rationally, which I decided to do for the intention of hearing her out.

This just rubs me the wrong way. Something about the way you say that. My God, man, you should be on your knees begging her to allow you the chance to prove yourself to her, not hurling back insult for insult. Do you even understand what some of us former waywards would do for the chance to make things right? Speaking for myself, I would move heaven and earth for broken if he would let me, but he has withdrawn to the extent that intimate need-meeting is utterly impossible.

But maybe one day I will be able to look into the mirror and not see myself as a home-wrecking wh*re. Maybe I will finally let it sink in what others here and IRL have told me, that I've done everything I could do. Maybe I will be able to look into my daughters' eyes and reach acceptance with the fact that I tore their family apart.

Do you want to be able to do that? Do you want to be a MB success story or are you too overly concerned with your false "image," either your own inflated self-image as a "good" husband and a "concerned" father, or the image that you are trying to portray to us "internetty" people?

I haven't left because I CAN fix this. With MB theory and practice. And self change.

You can fix this. With MB theory, yes, but the important bit is the PRACTICE of that theory. The application of concepts. Thus far things are falling short.

I'm NOT responsible for her actions. I WILL do what she wants me to do and I AM doing it without complaint or regard for myself.

What I CANNOT do is let two wrongs equal a right.
Nope, you are not responsible for her actions. Poor AI is barely even responsible for her actions right now. She is still in shock. Do you know what PTSD is? Many victims of infidelity and abuse are PTSD sufferers.

You are responsible for your actions. And you are NOT doing this without complaint or regard for yourself, so don't bother trying to convince us otherwise.

And for God's sake, don't try and make us believe what a concerned/involved father you are. You aren't. With seven years of adultery, you obviously have never been concerned for your children's welfare. I was not concerned with my children while I was an adulteress. I was only concerned with my own selfish needs. An adulterer - an unreformed, unrepentant adulterer - is a LOUSY parent. Prove your worth as a father first by demonstrating extraordinary care towards their mother.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
A
A
TRT,

Your wife needs time away from you right now, she's making herself ill, can you do that, voluntarily, for her?

markos #2645730 07/13/12 01:04 PM
U
U
Originally Posted by markos
You threatening to leave is an attempt to manipulate and punish her.

100% agree. This is a very abusive situation, first the utter devastation to AI caused by a marriage wrought with deception and infidelities, and now on top of that continued abuse when AI is going through the worst trauma she has likely ever experienced. Disgusting.

You treat this woman with less love, care and respect than I treat my dogs. Literally.

U
U
Scotland: My intention was to make it clear to AI that I wouldn't stand for her abuse, and in doing so, perpetrated abuse upon her and compounded that with the threat of leaving the marriage/house.

What the...

'My intention was to make it clear to AI that I wouldn't stand for her abuse...'

I have to keep rereading it to make sure you actually WROTE that. It is the most ridiculous and self centered thing you have ever written, and that bar was set very very high.

S
S
Did you check about the inter-library loans? They get books from ALL OVER Ontario. Ask me how I know? NONE of DrH's books are available at my library, but they got me one from St Thomas. I do this ALL OF THE TIME. You won't find it on your catalogue through your library. You would use borrower services. That was why I suggested that you go to the desk of the library. I know how to do it online, but every library system may not be the same.

Stop fooling yourself. The reason that you told AI that you were going to leave was because you got angry and you wanted to manipulate her into stopping her behaviour so you could be in control again.

See, you think that you are self aware, but I am here to tell you that you most definitely are NOT. You are an absolutely fogged out wayward. You're not the worst case I have seen(but I've only been here for 2.5 years), but you are definitely one of the most stubborn. That's not going to help.

Do you agree that what your instincts tell you has led you to a marriage that you have shoved down the toilet?

Also, I remember a few pages back, I told you that in 6-12 months, your BW would become very ANGRY, and you said that you would deal with it, and that you wouldn't go anywhere. Well, it seems that you were wrong, because if you think she was angry now, just wait. And if this is how you will react to it, you may as well leave.

You weren't serious about actually leaving your wife, were you? Do you understand how much pain that caused her? Do you understand how that is going to be repeated in her mind, again and again, removing LB$ from her LB, and causing it do go down rapidly. You have messed up HUGE, once again, and instead of acknowledging that, you are trying to make justifications for it. If your BW asks you to go, respect her enough to leave.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
M
Scotland: My intention was to make it clear to AI that I wouldn't stand for her abuse,

I don't think that that's what Dr. Harley would advise you at this point. Have a little bit of understanding of what she is going through, here.

Besides, you weren't just standing up to abuse. You were demanding admiration. You requested that she change her emphasis from your failings to your good points. When she didn't, you got emotional and abused her. That turns your request into a demand.

Page 33 of 36 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 36

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 374 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation