Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 51 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 50 51
U
OP Offline
U
Last night on date night H and I were discussing his father. His father lost HIS father (H's grandfather) at an early age, late teens. Apparently they were very close, and according to family members this was very devastating to him and he never really got over it. Which is evident in his negative attitude, his 'why me' attitude, his clear resentment for life and the fact that he seemingly looks at all of the ways his life has NOT turned out right instead of looking at all of his many blessings.

I commented to H that I think about this scenario in reference to our own recovery. That it would be a tragedy upon a tragedy to let the first decade of our M, the A's and the betrayals, define who we are FOREVER. To live our life with sadness, bitterness and resentment, defining our M by what we had been through instead of what we ARE (or at the very least, are becoming). That it would be a much wiser choice to put that behind us and move forward to live life to the fullest, learning from our past and applying it to make an even better future, thriving in spite of our history instead of wallowing in it. (Or something equally as eloquent, lol.)

Pause. Then he kindof teary eyed said, "cheers to that." And we clinked our drink glasses. It was a very touching moment and I almost cried (and this time, not for a bad reason).

I think the queen of resentment has made some progress.

E
E
Wonderful, unwritten! Definitely sounds like a turning point for you both. It sounds like you took my quote and really understood what it entails for the both of you and helped your H with some healing as well.

~RQ

S
S
Originally Posted by unwritten
Last night on date night H and I were discussing his father. His father lost HIS father (H's grandfather) at an early age, late teens. Apparently they were very close, and according to family members this was very devastating to him and he never really got over it. Which is evident in his negative attitude, his 'why me' attitude, his clear resentment for life and the fact that he seemingly looks at all of the ways his life has NOT turned out right instead of looking at all of his many blessings.

I commented to H that I think about this scenario in reference to our own recovery. That it would be a tragedy upon a tragedy to let the first decade of our M, the A's and the betrayals, define who we are FOREVER. To live our life with sadness, bitterness and resentment, defining our M by what we had been through instead of what we ARE (or at the very least, are becoming). That it would be a much wiser choice to put that behind us and move forward to live life to the fullest, learning from our past and applying it to make an even better future, thriving in spite of our history instead of wallowing in it. (Or something equally as eloquent, lol.)

Pause. Then he kindof teary eyed said, "cheers to that." And we clinked our drink glasses. It was a very touching moment and I almost cried (and this time, not for a bad reason).

I think the queen of resentment has made some progress.

Awesome!!! Doesn't it feel good???

BTW...you've been giving some excellent advice to others!

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen
Wonderful, unwritten! Definitely sounds like a turning point for you both. It sounds like you took my quote and really understood what it entails for the both of you and helped your H with some healing as well.

~RQ

Thanks RQ! I'm not really sure what has turned us around this summer. HHH suggested that it was ME, but it really was a combination of both of us committing together. I was prepared to just go all in for the summer despite his lackluster attitude (and I was also prepared to D in the fall), and was happily surprised by the fact that he also went all in. Feels great, like we are finally walking down the same path in life.

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by SunnyDinTX
Awesome!!! Doesn't it feel good???

BTW...you've been giving some excellent advice to others!

Thank you SunnyD! I really appreciate you saying that.

And yes, it DOES feel good.

U
OP Offline
U
So here's a story about triggers. We were cleaning out our master closet the other day, getting rid of a few clothes. He put in a couple of what I thought were really nice, practically new fleeces. I said, why are you getting rid of those? He said he was getting rid of them because they were given to him free by the company he worked for when he traveled and cheated. He said he didn't know if that was a trigger for me but didn't want to take the chance.

Anyway, I thought it was very sweet and proactive for him to identify 'possible' triggers and in my best interest get rid of them.

U
OP Offline
U
So based on some of the comments I have received on another thread I would like to get some feedback on something.

I have received feedback from both MelodyLane, as well as Indiegirl, both posters who I have a great deal of respect for, in regards to my need meeting and H's need meeting.

This is in regards to discussing my meeting H's need for domestic support (cleaning 4 hrs/day, give or take), which I am not necessarily 'enthusiastic' about, and him meeting my need for SF and whether he should only meet that when he is enthusiastic about it.

The general concensus seems to be that I/we are sacrificing to meet each others needs and that this is a bad thing.

I guess my question is this. What is the differentiation between meeting needs and to some degree, sacrificing?

I don't like to clean, I don't really even like to be in the house. I could pitch manure in a barn all day and be happy as a clam, but vacuum, no. Yet H's #1EN is DS. So therein lies a problem. I am a SAHM and enthusiastically agree that as such, my 'job' is to maintain the home. I don't love to do it, I am sure I am not the only one, but I do so because it is a need of his. Is this sacrificing? How would I possibly meet this need without, to some degree, sacrificing? There is no miraculous thing that will occur in which if we have a happy marriage I will suddenly be compelled to enthusiastically clean the house.

That being said, I don't 'think' of it as sacrificing. I think of it (now) as caring for him by meeting his most important need.

Likewise, when it comes to my #1EN which is SF. Now the misconception here, since I talk about it too much, is that I just don't get any SF. On the contrary, I am sure we have far more SF than average, I just have a VERY high drive so, more is always better. In fact I was thinking about Letty's thread and how we were discussing H's need for PA and that he needs to be realistic about it, and was thinking that I need to be more realistic about my need for SF. H doesn't have any problems, he just has a normal drive, as opposed to my much higher one. Likewise, that is not going to change. Sure I can do whatever possible to be sexier and entice him or whatever, but drive is drive.

So when he fills my need for SF, when he probably wouldn't engage in that if it wasn't a need of mine due to his own drive level, is that him 'sacrificing' for me?

My point here is, I sacrifice by doing things that I am not excited about to meet his needs, and likewise I am sure he does the same. How is this bad? How do you meet each others needs without sacrificing to meet them?

I hope this question makes sense, I was a little taken aback by some of the comments made. I didn't want to t/j but wanted to explore this further on my own thread.

U
OP Offline
U
I am really working hard to meet H's needs, and he is doing the same for me. I feel like we've made a lot of progress this summer, and I just don't want to think we are completely going about this the wrong way, ya know?

Clearly I am in need of some education here.

I know Dr Harley says not to sacrifice, but I am just not understanding where to draw that line and still meet someone else's needs, I guess.

U
OP Offline
U
I don't think I'm settling for crumbs. And I don't think I am a renter. And I don't know what else could be going on here.

And, I don't think I will get a cleaning lady anytime soon, would be nice tho!

IDK I'm just confused by all that.

I
I
Hi Unwritten.

A blanket agreement to meet any and all needs of the other person is a bad idea because it puts your giver in control and builds resentment.

And as ML has said, giving into sex only to please one person leads to aversions.

Of course you should both find a way to meet needs, but you have to sit down and follow the POJA steps and only choose the brainstorming option that pleases you both.

If your H dislikes having sex in the late evening/early morning for example,because he's tired, then the POJA default would be not to do that. And keep going till you find a POJA solution you both like.

Dr H says the resentment of missing out is far less than the resentment of actively doing something you dislike.

If there is a domestic task you find pointless, but H wants it done, POJA says don't do it. Figure out a way to agree on the right priorities.

In fact Dr H has a scheme for splitting up domestic tasks I've seen somewhere. It depends how important doing the task is to you and how importnt the results are to you. For example I hated mowing the lawn, but wanted a nice lawn whereas my H had no interest in the lawn and never went out there. So it benefitted only me to do it, and that's why it should have been my job.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
I am really working hard to meet H's needs, and he is doing the same for me. I feel like we've made a lot of progress this summer,

You will both have made LB deposits, much like people in Plan A who meet needs they don't really want to.

But its a short term scheme. Long term you should both stop before you build resentment and feel you 'owe' each other.

Do you know about the danger when in the state of intimacy is to 'give' too much, just as when in conflict it is to 'take' too much?

H
H
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen

~RQ

Thanks RQ! I'm not really sure what has turned us around this summer. HHH suggested that it was ME, but it really was a combination of both of us committing together. I was prepared to just go all in for the summer despite his lackluster attitude (and I was also prepared to D in the fall), and was happily surprised by the fact that he also went all in. Feels great, like we are finally walking down the same path in life.

Let's make a better suggestion, UW... let's say that it is WE - the betrayed.

When we demonstrate to our (F)WS that we are unwilling to meet their needs, or willing to constantly punish them, and we stand wondering why they aren't all-in for recovery, we forget our part.

We talk a lot about EP's on this board, but most often leave the single most important EP of them all as the last thought; creating a loving, romantic, interdependent marriage.

It is the single gamble that pays off the most.

The trick ends up being exactly what is in GloveOil's signature as a quote from his wife;

"Do it again, and you are out on your [censored]!"

When we make that promise to ourselves, and to our (F)WS, we lend ourselves the strength to finally go all-in. Then, the gloves are off and no excuses remain. We will have a better marriage, or we will divorce.

You, ma'am, are not crediting yourself quite enough for the improvements that have been made.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
I
I
First of unwritten, I think it's great that you are both so willing to meet each other's needs. Willingness is key. With that attitude, it should be quite simple to LEARN TO ENJOY meeting each others' needs so that no resentment is created and your lifestyles are mutually happy for you both with no sacrifice.

I've quoted a few articles on this topic.

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
In your case, if your husband does not meet your need for domestic support, you may lose the feeling of love you once had for him. The losses of love units over the past five years have already taken their toll on your sexual response to him, and if it continues, you may find yourself without any sexual interest at all.

Even though it may be crucial for your husband to meet your need for domestic support, he must do it in a way that he finds enjoyable, or it won't work. The woman who develops a sexual aversion must learn to meet her husband's need for sex enthusiastically. That means she can't force herself to make love to him, she must learn to enjoy it enough that she actually looks forward to making love to him.

The same is true of the chronically unemployed husband. He must learn to enjoy earning a living to support his spouse. I've helped many men find work that they truly enjoy, and they earn enough to support their families. When that happens, their wives love for them is restored, and their marriage is saved.

But that's what meeting emotional needs is all about. Making your spouse happy in a way that makes you happy. Sacrifice is short-sighted. You can do it once in a while, but it does not endure. If you want help around the house from your husband, you want to see him doing it cheerfully, because that's the only way you will get consistent help from him.

That brings us to the Policy of Joint Agreement (never do anything without an enthusiastic agreement between you and your spouse). Your husband can learn to meet your need for domestic support if you follow the Policy of Joint Agreement.

You made a deal with your husband years ago that if he supported you financially, you would support him domestically. You now know that deal does not work for you. It is no longer a deal that you enthusiastically agree to, so it should be revised using the Policy of Joint Agreement.

Use the steps I suggested last week, and you may find that he will cheerfully take some of the responsibilities. Negotiate with him to help you with some of those that are left, and I think you will find him to be far more helpful than you imagined.

You may not have confronted the issue because of your underlying feeling of guilt to want him to do things that you feel are your responsibility. Forget all of that, and focus on what he could do for you that would make you the happiest. Then bargain in his best interest to get it done for yourself. You will both have a happier and more compatible marriage as a result of your effort.

If household responsibilities are given to whoever is in the mood to do them, nothing much will be done. If one spouse demands help from the other, that will also have an unsatisfactory outcome. But if assignment of these tasks can be mutually agreed upon by willing spouses that accept the responsibility, everything will run smoothly.

I would like to propose to you a solution to your conflict based on the Policy of Joint Agreement. As it does with all marital conflicts, the Policy will not only resolve it, it will help you increase your love for each other.

This solution will require you to do something that you may rarely do: get organized. It means you must think through your problem carefully and systematically. You will need to write down your objectives and create solutions that take each other's feelings into account. While you may find all of this awkward and terribly "not you," there is no other way. Besides, when you're done, you may find it to be more comfortable than you anticipated.

Step 1: Identify your household responsibilities.
First, make a list of all of your household responsibilities including child care. The list should (1) name each responsibility, (2) briefly describe what must be done, and when, to accomplish it, (3) name the spouse that wants it accomplished and (4) how important is it to that spouse (use a scale from 1-5, with 1 least important and 5 most important).

Both spouses should work on this list, and it will take several days to cover the bases. You will add items each day as you find yourself accomplishing various tasks or wanting them accomplished.

When you have finished your list, both of you should be satisfied that it includes all of the housekeeping and child care responsibilities that you share. You may have as many as 100 items listed. Just this part of the exercise alone will help you understand what you're up against with regard to the work that you feel must be done.

Step 2: Assume responsibility for items that you would enjoy doing or prefer doing yourself.
Make a second copy of your final list, so that both you and your spouse can have your own copy. Then, independently of each other, put your own name in front of each item that you would like to do yourself. These are tasks that you would enjoy doing, don't mind doing, or want to do yourself so they can be done a certain way. When you compare your two lists, if both you and your spouse have named the same items, you can either take turns doing them, or arbitrarily divide them between the two of you.Now you have three lists. (1) the husband's list of responsibilities, (2) the wife's list of responsibilities and (3) the list of household responsibilities that are not yet assigned.

Step 3: Assign the remaining responsibilities to the one wanting each done the most.
Assuming that all tasks you would not mind doing have been eliminated, we are left with those that would be unpleasant for either of you to perform. These are items that neither of you want to do, but at least one of you thinks should be done.

These unpleasant responsibilities should be assigned to the person who wants them done. If both of you want something done, the one giving it the highest value should take responsibility for doing it.

If you think that this is unfair, consider for a moment why you want the other person to do these tasks for you. Even though you are the one who wants them done, you want the other person to relieve you of the pain you suffer when you do them. It other words, you want to gain at your spouse's expense.

You may argue that what you want is really not for you, but for the children. In that argument, you imply that your spouse is so uncaring and insensitive that he or she doesn't even know, or doesn't care, what's best for the children. If that's your argument, you are making a disrespectful judgment.

The one wanting something done the most will lose the fewest love units doing it themselves. After all, they are doing it for themselves. It's much more painful to do something unpleasant when you don't even value what you're doing.

But there are many ways to get things done, and you may not have considered the best possibilities. You and your spouse should discuss how burdensome responsibilities can be accomplished in ways that are not so burdensome. Maybe one of you would not mind doing one part of dinner preparation, and the other would not mind doing another part. Or maybe you would agree that going out to dinner is the ultimate solution to the problem.

Those items left on your list of responsibilities that are unpleasant to perform should be regularly discussed. Brainstorm all kinds of alternatives that might get the job done without either of you suffering.

There are certain household tasks that are so unpleasant for both spouses that hiring someone to do it is a reasonable alternative, especially when both spouses work full-time. Hiring a housekeeper once a week to do only the most unpleasant cleaning chores is money well spent. The same thing can be true of maintaining the yard. Having someone mow and trim the lawn can turn a burdensome Saturday into an opportunity to enjoy the day with the family.

On a related subject, be sure that you do not assign your children tasks that both you and your spouse find too unpleasant to shoulder. It doesn't build character to give your kids jobs that you hate to do, it builds resentment. If you want your children to help around the house, have them choose tasks from your list of household responsibilities that they would enjoy doing. Make lists for them, as well as for you and your spouse. There will be plenty to keep them busy.

To summarize my solution to the division of household responsibilities, the Policy of Joint Agreement should be your guide. Assume household responsibilities that you enthusiastically accept. And then, when you help each other with those unpleasant tasks that are left, only help if you can do it enthusiastically.

By following this policy, you may decide to change your attitude about some of the responsibilities on your list. When you know that the only way to do something is to do it yourself, you may decide that it doesn't need to be done, after all. In fact, you may find that what kept you convinced of it's importance, was the notion that your spouse was supposed to do it.

I
I
Sure I can do whatever possible to be sexier and entice him or whatever, but drive is drive.

No it isnt. Dr Harley has frequently helped people increase sex drive to a higher plane, even if it is not particularly low. It is usually not a medical thing, but a motivation thing.

One common motivation killer, which even those of use with high SFs would struggle with is to feel under demand. Even someone with a high SF need would feel put off by a demand for sex.

If sex is demanded, it is impossible for us to feel motivated, because our spouse doesn't care if we feel motivated. Motivation isn't even being required of us. They think we 'should' do it whether we want to or not 'because there is no one else'. (That would be a particular killer for someone with a high admiration need - 'I want you cause no one else is available')

On the other thread you said you sometimes 'just need to get some', which will sound very strange to someone without a high SF need. Those of us with a high SF need sometimes just want the SF, we dont care about the accompanying admiration or affection, thats how we know it is a true SF need. But though we may just want the SF, it's only half the joy of sex. Your spouse has the other half to this piece of wisdom and you ignore his feelings at your peril.

When you 'just get some' you are actually just taking some. It raids your spouses lovebank and the overdraft statement will follow soon in the form of aversion.

Your spouse is raiding your lovebank to get the domestic chores done. He is creating a sexual aversion while doing so to pay your cleaning bill with sex. If he reaches the point where sex becomes too unpleasant to continue, what then?

Your taker will become incredibly resentful. You did all this cleaning for nothing! He broke the deal!

I think it would be pretty easy for you to both explore which domestic tasks are true priorities for you both and how sex can be more mutually enjoyable.

You just need to lose this concpet that you 'should' endure and suffer to meet the other's needs.

I
I
I am a SAHM and enthusiastically agree that as such, my 'job' is to maintain the home. I don't love to do it, I am sure I am not the only one, but I do so because it is a need of his.

By following this policy, you may decide to change your attitude about some of the responsibilities on your list. When you know that the only way to do something is to do it yourself, you may decide that it doesn't need to be done, after all. In fact, you may find that what kept you convinced of it's importance, was the notion that your spouse was supposed to do it

M
M
I don't like to clean, I don't really even like to be in the house. I could pitch manure in a barn all day and be happy as a clam, but vacuum, no. Yet H's #1EN is DS. So therein lies a problem. I am a SAHM and enthusiastically agree that as such, my 'job' is to maintain the home. I don't love to do it, I am sure I am not the only one, but I do so because it is a need of his. Is this sacrificing? How would I possibly meet this need without, to some degree, sacrificing?

It is sacrificing if it makes you unhappy. Maybe you don't mind doing it. For example, my DH loves getting his breakfast made every Saturday morning. It doesn't bother me a bit to do it for him, however, it would bother me if I did housework. Sacrifice leads to resentment. If you don't mind doing all that housework, then it is not a problem.

For me, I hate doing housework, and one of my H's needs is DS, so we hire a cleaning lady. I would be harming our marriage if I did it grudgingly and created a resentment.

Sacrifice should never be a part of marriage. Like I said earlier, that is how incompatibility is created. If you don't like doing all that housework, you should find another way to get this done that makes you both enthusiastic.

If you don't like doing it, you won't be able to sustain it for long and the longer you do it, the more resentment you will feel.

Indiegirl posted the answer to your problem in her articles, but you might want to also speak to CWMI about this. She had the same issue.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Awesome posts, indiegirl!! You nailed it!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I
Thanks Mel, Plan B leaves a lot of time for self-educating!

I hate cleaning DS too, so if I have to meet that need in future, I would probably do it through cooking as well, which I love. Particularly breakfast!

There's a lot can be done. Putting a notice at the local college to see if theres a student wants to pick up afew bucks cleaning, sending out the laundry.. My cousin pays her mother to do the ironing! You may also find that many of the DS needs your H wants are things he needs to do himself because they are of no importance to you whether they are done and you hate doing them.

After making clear it his responsibility, you can offer from time to treat him by doing it as a favour. But only when you feel enthusiastic.

U
OP Offline
U
Thank you all for your responses.

Earlier in this thread I went through a little whinage about the DS and how I hated doing it. I would have to reread it as I was being a 'little' defensive at the time and maybe didn't absorb it in the same way, but from my recollection the general consensus was 'shut up and clean the house already.' Someone also said 'what is a SAHM that doesn't clean the house called? A TAKER.'

All in all I was made to feel that this is just my job which had to be done to meet H's EN's and to just buck up and do it.

Indie, MUCH of what you posted hits home with me. Thank you for taking the time to give me so much info.

My hurdle is that I am a SAHM. I know this does not change the POJA and other concepts Dr Harley gives, but it does change the IDK atmosphere created by following them. I don't really mind at all if the house is a mess, as long as we are having fun, whereas H likes a VERY tidy and organized house. Therefore if we sit down and pick tasks that are important to us, most of them would go to his list and be taken from mine. However, he is the only breadwinner for our family and works 10 hr days to make that happen, while I stay home all day. He is a very hard worker and provides for this family very well. It hardly seems fair to transfer ANY of my household duties to him, much less the bulk of them. And if I were to do this, doesn't it make me a taker? To expect him to work hard all day then come home and do housework? And won't that create resentment in HIM to have to do that? Not to mention the fact that, if MBers laid into me about being a taker by not just stepping up, goodness knows what other people would say to me about it who aren't even privy to POJA and the like. Do I care what other people think? Ya I guess, because I would already feel guilty for having H do housework, if other people started pointing this fact out to us it would start to give me a real complex about what exactly it is that I do here...

Any other SAHM's who can comment on this, how this was worked out?

U
OP Offline
U
You may not have confronted the issue because of your underlying feeling of guilt to want him to do things that you feel are your responsibility. Forget all of that, and focus on what he could do for you that would make you the happiest. Then bargain in his best interest to get it done for yourself. You will both have a happier and more compatible marriage as a result of your effort.

Underlying guilt...check.

If you think that this is unfair, consider for a moment why you want the other person to do these tasks for you. Even though you are the one who wants them done, you want the other person to relieve you of the pain you suffer when you do them. It other words, you want to gain at your spouse's expense.

I think it is unfair, for H to work 10 hr days and then come home and have work to do. I am pretty sure he would think it unfair as well. He wants me to do these tasks for him because I'm home, and I can, not because he is wants to get out of the pain and suffering of doing them or because he wants to gain at my expense.

I guess on DS it comes down to the fact that I feel like, as a SAHM its MY JOB. He has a job to provide for us, and I'm sure he doesn't always do it cheerfully because thats how jobs go, so why is it any different.

Page 18 of 51 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 761 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation