Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
My husband has been out of work over a year. We have been surviving from my paychecks and his unemployment support from EDD. He was down but tried very hard finding a job and I gave him total support without pressure or complain. I told him only once that he should get a job without being selective but it seemed I hurt him very much. We hadn't have sex much, probably once or twice a month over the last ten months and he did remarked few month ago(kind of making as a joke) that he is doing it because he feels obligated since he is out of work which hurt me a lot. Since then I have stopped show any interest towards it. Other than that, we had very harmonious marriage life, helping each other, affectionate relationships but not passionate.

We've been married about 6 years. I'm 47 and he is 51. I was not good at recreational companionship and gained weight over the years. We both are on the second marriage, no children from current or previous marriages.

The last half year or so, he started communicate with his old girlfriend via Facebook who he wanted get marry when they were in 20's but she rejected at that time. It lingered in him for a long time and he told me about her when we were still dating.

Since we couldn't afford both of us visiting his family, I sent him spending time with them for two & half weeks. He spent time with her during the visit.

Now, he wants to divorce with me because he has re-connected with her and wants to get marry(and she agreed on it)when he returned on 6/5. He has told me that with his surprise, they tried very hard avoiding physical contact but they couldn't resist. But after reading "Surviving Affair", I assumed he was already in love with her while communicating through Facebook and they only confirmed when they met. She is a single and no kids around my age. He repeatedly told me I didn't do anything wrong but he can't stay with me because he loves her and he wants to be true to himself.

Living situation became very awkward since he returned. He stayed with a friend for about two weeks, he cashed all his retirement plan for surviving and flew back on 6/20. He exposed the situation to few of his family members by himself but I think he realized that was not acceptable to them so he hasn't return to the family but living with the girlfriend. They are very sorry to me feeling ashamed what he has done. He and I have been communicating only through emails since he left from our house. We spoke only once face to face when he was still in a friend's place. I have told him that he is in the midlife crisis, trying retrieving his past and the passion is only temporary, but of-course he wasn't interested listening.

I thought I should be on plan B since he left me already so I sent him an email on 6/24 according the book and requested stop communicating with me except financial issues we are tied. No emotional communication since then. He was sorry about my decision even some of my emails were nasty, although he seems he doesn't understand what I'm going through even his previous wife left him (reason was not an affair). But he is keeping my request not communicating with me but financial issues. Current communication is 1 or 2 times a week.

This all happened in the last month. I want him to come back but feel hopeless. He clearly stated twice our marriage is over when I asked restoring our marriage. Should I go back to plan A or stay with B? Or should I give up and move on? It appears to me he is ready to give up everything for her. Only my hope is that she was infamous with relationships and flirting without holding back including boyfriends of her girlfriends or her boyfriend of friends according to three friends of my husband but this was 2 decades ago so I don't know if she is still the same. She is very beautiful woman too. She automatically meets primary requirements (sex and physical appearance) for man and I have no way to compete with her. I'm devastating being alone at home. Please advice.

Me: 47
Husband: 51
Married for 6 years
Together for 7 years
No children

Discovered 6/4/12
On the road to recover my marriage

B
B
Welcome and I'm sorry for your pain.

Who have you exposed to? Is this OW married?

I would do a facebook exposure.
Exposure 101

Have you been into your doctor for some ADs?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
OP Offline
J
I have exposed some of our friends.

My husband exposed to few of his family member by himself. OW is a single no kids.

I already cut facebook contact with him. I couldn't stand seeing him and her communication. I tried get it back but not working.

No doctor yet. But getting a lot of supports from girlfriens.

B
B
Originally Posted by jessie91164
I have exposed some of our friends.

My husband exposed to few of his family member by himself. OW is a single no kids.

I already cut facebook contact with him. I couldn't stand seeing him and her communication. I tried get it back but not working.

No doctor yet. But getting a lot of supports from girlfriens.
I would do a facebook exposure on OW side.

Also I would expose to WH's family yourself. He may have twisted and turned the story. "Our marriage isn't happy anymore" or other garbage. You need to tell them the truth.

Who did you expose to on OW side?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
OP Offline
J
I don't know anyone on OW side. My husband and she lost contact over 20 years but I know she has Facebook account. I guess I need to become friend with her since her information is blocked.

B
B
I don't know anyone on OW side. My husband and she lost contact over 20 years but I know she has Facebook account. I guess I need to become friend with her since her information is blocked.
Try this first.
Facebook: a backdoor to see more information

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
OP Offline
J
Ok. Thank you so much for your help. I'll have a look.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks again. Do you think am I on the right track? ; I have no contact with him except financial info. we need exchange. Feels like I'm giving him away to OW and making situation favorable for them. What do you think??

B
B
Thanks again. Do you think am I on the right track? ; I have no contact with him except financial info. we need exchange. Feels like I'm giving him away to OW and making situation favorable for them. What do you think??
You read SAA and so you know about Plan A.

So how long was your Plan A?

If you are going to be in a true plan B there must be no contact.

Why did your first marriage end?

Why did his first marriage end?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Also please listen to these clips. Tell us what you think.
Radio clip on marriage
Segment #2
Segment #3

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
OP Offline
J
Well, this all happened rapidly. We contacted each other through first two weeks in daily basis. Mostly me trying to stop him or convince him that he should stop or slow down. He left two weeks after he told me. I found this website after he left and stopped begging him come back.

My first marriage, unfortunately ended the same scenario; he had an affair and I kicked him out. He wanted restore marriage after half year and I refused. I was not a good wife and we were not good match. In the beginning I was shocked but soon after I realized that I felt much better without him. But this marriage, I tried very hard make him happy and had a wonderful marriage, I thought. But I started reading "His need, Her need" yesterday and realized I wasn't meeting his need; our sex life became much less over the last few years and I kept refusing accompany his interests.

His first wife left because he tend to be depressed or unhappy and she was tired of his depressive attitude. I don't know much of the details.

Thank you again for your support. Much appreciated.

B
B
Remember you may be 50% responsible for the demise of your marriage, but he is 100% responsible for his affair.

The Harleys will tell you "there may be reasons for an affair, but never excuses."

Please spend all your energy on exposing to OW's side. Did you read the exposure thread?

Did you listen to those clips?

He is living with OW now? Have you protected your finances?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
OP Offline
J
I didn't have time go through plan A. He stayed a friend house for two weeks after he returned from family visit. I saw him only two days after he confessed.

I've listened the segments. Thank you. He is actually ambitious with his carrier. He is licensed architect. But he had problem with his manager at the last job and terminated because of conflict with him. It was a big shock for him. Since then he has been looking for work but no success over a year.

B
B
I didn't have time go through plan A. He stayed a friend house for two weeks after he returned from family visit. I saw him only two days after he confessed.

I've listened the segments. Thank you. He is actually ambitious with his carrier. He is licensed architect. But he had problem with his manager at the last job and terminated because of conflict with him. It was a big shock for him. Since then he has been looking for work but no success over a year.
Any luck finding her on facebook? Can you hire a PI? They'll be able to find out her information.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
OP Offline
J
Yes I have read exposure thread and listened clips (answer is on previous post). I will work on exposure on OW side.

Yes he lives with her. So far, we continue working on our finance together. He receives his unemployment support from EDD. WE pay mortgage and all bills together with my paychecks. He still have a sane to be responsible with finance.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M

Jessie, I am sorry for the reasons that bring you here. I would go into Plan B as soon as possible. What you describe here is not Plan B because you are in contact with him. Your plan is what Harley calls "Plan C," which is the most likely to lead to divorce.

Please go to this link here and read up on how to execute Plan B.

I would also expose the affair wide and far. Read the link in my signature for exposure tips.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
H
Hi Jessie, Welcome to MB I am sorry for the pain that has brought you to this forum. You will find advice, encouragement and support.

As Brainhurts mentioned you need to expose to ensure the truth about the A is out there, waywards put a spin on the story to keep their fantasy alive.

Mel knows the MB principles inside out and has a wealth of experience helping other MBers for the last 12 years. I agree with her, you should go into Plan B. This gives you a plan to focus on your own personal recovery, remove yourself from the drama of the A which A thrive on. By not having any contact with your WH, the OW has to meet all of his EN's and she will in time struggle with this and the LB will begin. You have the benefit of MB she doesn't.

Read the links that have been posted on your thread and read the threads in notable posts this will help. Take care and post any time you have questions or need support.

Last edited by happyfuture66; 07/13/12 10:24 PM. Reason: typo

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Married: 22yrs 8mths
DS 9yrs;DD 19yrs;DS 21yrs
Bomb drop:marriage not working don't know if ILY 12.11.11
DD:26.11.11
WH moves to OW house 28.11.11
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12
D:20.7.14

"There are moments in life that make us & set the course of who we become. Sometimes they're little & subtle,sometimes they're big & we never saw them coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what we do afterwards that counts & we find out who we are."
J
OP Offline
J
I just came back and saw all of your post. I'll read through, check links. I'm very new here and all your suggestions and supports are much needed and appreciated. I have tears in my eyes. Thank you, thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 446 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation