Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 46 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 45 46
B
B
It could be your picker and not that you're broken. KWIM?

Have you read Buyers. Renters and Freeloaders? Dr. Harley recommends it for dating couples for a reason.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
I don't know why we let those tapes in our mind say we are broken or a failure. After my divorce many women at church and work told me they had been divorced too, women who live joyful lives and who I respect deeply. I wasn't the only one or something. If you stay, I hope you stay because you believe in your H and your marriage recovery, not out of fear of his response if you separated and not out of fear of becoming broken. I hope that makes sense. (((Hugs)))

Thank you NED. This means so much to me, and I'll try to let it sink in deeply.

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Anointed
You are not broken, Zhamila. You are doing your part. I don't remember if you are a Christian, but something God has shown me over the last few months is that it doesn't matter what ANYONE says about me (including myself). The TRUTH is what God says about me.

God says I am His child, blessed, and my children are blessed because of me. My enemies will not defeat me (in fact they will celebrate me), and my paths are laid straight.

I believe what God says about me no matter what this physical world tries to say.

You are so precious, Zhamila, and far from broken.

Thank you so much Anointed! I am a Christian - though I don't always act like one.

This is such good advice: God is watching me and my marriage, and His opinion is the only one that really matters. I can choose to please Him with my words and deeds. I will try again - for Him.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
It could be your picker and not that you're broken. KWIM?

Have you read Buyers. Renters and Freeloaders? Dr. Harley recommends it for dating couples for a reason.

Thanks Brain! I will check it out from the library - it's practically the only Harley book I don't own. Maybe I should buy it this time. wink

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Anointed
You are not broken, Zhamila. You are doing your part.

Funny...I seem to remember saying this to you, Anointed! wink

I don't feel like I've done my part in the last week - I've stepped away, sort of stopped trying and shut down. I need to get back in there and try again.

Sad but true: I called some church friends in desperation, to see if the husband would talk to my H and maybe help him see things differently. He did, but he told my H that 'marriage requires sacrifice, that's what love is,' etc etc. Whoa, not really helping support the POJA there. Plus this guy travels overnight tons for work and they are 'fine' with it. Ugh. Big mistake on my part.

My H told me today that I'd "follow Dr. Harley off a cliff."

But he was also pretty nice this evening. I'm confused.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
BrainHurts, just ordered BR&Fs from the website. Can't wait to read it again...it's been years. Thanks for the recommendation.

Elizabeth Bowen

B
B
Originally Posted by Zhamila
BrainHurts, just ordered BR&Fs from the website. Can't wait to read it again...it's been years. Thanks for the recommendation.

You're welcome. I hope you like it.

Here's a taste that Pepperband put together until your book arrives.
Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by BrainHurts

You're welcome. I hope you like it.

Here's a taste that Pepperband put together until your book arrives.
Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders

THANK YOU!!! Reading now...

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So....I just went back and read my thread. I just want to say Thank you to everyone for posting to me. There were days when I was really angry and just wanted to blame someone. Listen to this rant: blah blah blah. I'm so embarrassed I said this junk:

Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
This is a marriage. It's 50/50. 2 become 1 flesh.

You have a load to carry in this, and YOUR choices, YOUR actions contribute to the over all health of the marriage.

Originally Posted by CWMI
IF you base your success on his choices, you set yourself up for much frustration and feelings of failure, my friend. Whose life are you talking about? Isn't it yours?

With all due respect, I have been living by the MB principles this entire time. I'm not the one blowing up with abusive behavior, getting ready to go to AM classes, disagreeing with the POJA, bucking against living by it, etc. HIS improvement and choices will be what makes us successful, because they are light-years further from "good marriage behavior" than mine. This is why I said he'll get the credit - he was further to go.

I'm sorry I was such a witch at times. frown

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
...AAAAAANNNNNDDD now reading BR&F thread from you BrainHurts! Sorry, got sidetracked.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Renters believe Our relationship should be fair. What I get should balance what I give.

Buyers believe We both contribute whatever it takes to make our relationship successful.

Renters believe As needs change, the relationship may end if needs are difficult to meet.

Buyers believe As needs change, we will make adjustments to meet new needs.

Renters believe Criticism may prompt me to change if it's worthwhile for me to do so.

Buyers believe Criticism indicates a need for change.

Renters believe Sacrifice is reasonable as long as it's fair.

Buyers believe Sacrifice is dangerous and to be avoided.

These hit me particularly hard. Off to read more....

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Funny how my H comes home from Anger Management and promptly loses his temper....

I'm starting to feel like a thick-headed dolt. crazy

Elizabeth Bowen

N
N
Zhamila, do you mind if I ask what "loses his temper" means for you and the kids? It means an Angry Outburst, correct? What's your goal here? Are you data collecting, still on the fence? Getting your ducks in a row? Being a buyer by letting him know when his behavior is unacceptable and making plans to eliminate your and your kids' exposure to the LBs?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
A
A
I'm sorry Zhamila. I'm going through a process of realizing just how much I have contributed to my marital problems. I'm proud of you for being open to learning.

I'm interested in finding out the answer to NEDs questions. Blessings and hugs!!!

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Zhamila, do you mind if I ask what "loses his temper" means for you and the kids? It means an Angry Outburst, correct? What's your goal here? Are you data collecting, still on the fence? Getting your ducks in a row? Being a buyer by letting him know when his behavior is unacceptable and making plans to eliminate your and your kids' exposure to the LBs?

Hi NED - I never mind you asking smile

Yes, it was an AO. I did let him know it was not acceptable and left the room.

I'm trying to figure out my next steps.

Markos' thread about how "MB works better" when the H is on board is hitting me really hard. I mean we've spent tons of money, gotten Steve Harley's help and I've learned to do my part. We are no longer meeting with Steve ($), so I feel like my safety net is gone. However, if my H is going to get on board, he will do it with or without a weekly pep talk from Steve.

So I guess you could say I'm observing while being very careful and cautious. I am watching, planning, and thinking.

Elizabeth Bowen

N
N
That's cool, things get obvious in time, the don't call Plan A the reality bringer for nothing!

I'm still hoping he'll come around. We used to have a poster here whose H made the changes without an ultimatum, and when she was struck with an illness he kept to his changes he made.

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well, I spent some time this week reading about abusive relationships. Ours is pretty classic. The recommendation was to simply set limits on what is unacceptable behavior: all is in line with MB principles, basically saying you won't accept SDs DJs or AOs.

So I started to tell my H that I would no longer accept certain behaviors (mentioned them). He interrupted and demanded that I never criticize him in front of the children. I said that the prerequisite for our parenting plan was that he not abuse the children but speak respectfully to them. If he did not abide by that prerequisite, then I would correct the abuse in front of the children because they need to learn that abuse is not acceptable, too.

So he said, "Fine, then I'll leave. Do you want me to go now, or can I wait a month?" I told him I don't care when. But I iterated that I still want great marriage with him, but one free from abuse. If he chose to leave, I wouldn't stop him, but I would rather have a succesful marriage with him.

So that's it I guess.

Elizabeth Bowen

N
N
You know your H better than anyone, but I remember when my then-H threatened to leave, too, many times, as I "rearranged the furniture" the way you're doing. It would've been cool if I had been detached enough to act as narrator, "So it's more important to you for me to pretend in front of the kids that yelling is okay, than to show them thoughtfulness in our FC time together. Good to know. I'm here at the park with you all this afternoon to show them thoughtfulness." But I wasn't.

Does it help to remember that your H leaving is something that can set your family up for success in the future? And that it's way easier on your kids if he leaves than if you do?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
S
S
They are not his kids, so her leaving is out of the question.

This is a short marriage with no kids.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
NED, I've just realised that my previous reply assumed that you meant Zhamila leaving the kids behind. That's why I said that her leaving is not an option - she wouldn't leave her kids with someone who is not their father. I realise now that you might not have meant leaving the kids behind.

She could leave with her kids, but as you rightly said, it would be easier on them if he left.

Zhamila, is he still talking about leaving, or have things calmed down a bit?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
Page 19 of 46 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 432 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation