Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
P
P
What's your story, Rety?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

S
S
Originally Posted by Retycon
I read through your threads and am sorry you have to deal with this pain for two years. I know you are averse to divorce but I think that is the best option. After nearly 2.5 decades, she choose to betray you and throw everything away. She did not bend over backwards to reassure you of her love. She kept on ignoring your needs. She refused to quit her job and EVEN CHOSE TO PURSUE HER AFFAIR PARTNER before finally calling it quits and settling for you. You have basically become her second choice.

To me, it does not seem like she is staying with you out of love. Do you think she is staying because of money? Do you earn more money than her?
Retycon,

A lot of WS do not return to the marriage out of love, and yet, using the MB programme, love can be rekindled over time. (Many BSs, too do not attempt recovery because "love" is the uppermost emotion after D Day. For them, too, there is despair at the thought of hurting the kids and throwing away a whole life that was shared with the WS to start again.)

It is a reality that some WSs take into account the futility of hoping for a future with an unsuitable person (their affair partner). They also do not want to hurt their kids and lose the respect of most people who know them. They might also take into account that they would lose a lot financially by walking away.

Those are actually some of the factors that make a marriage what it is. They are factors that make the BS have an advantage over an affair partner if they can intervene and expose the affair early on, forcing the WS or OP to make a choice. An affair partner is not the father or mother of the WS's children, and the WS often does not want to leave the children and a whole way of life behind in pursuit of a relationship with someone they hardly know, but they know to be capable of adultery.

Being dumped by OP is not a reason in itself why recovery will fail. Recovery has a high chance of success if both spouses follow Dr Harley's plan.

You don't appear to know much about Dr Harley and Marriage Builders. You'd do better to read a lot more here and only then offer MB-based advice, not your own opinions.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
What's your story, Rety?

The fact that Rety won't answer this is very telling.

Quoting from one of the announcement posts here:

Sometimes you may hear alternative opinions that conflict with Dr. Harley's Ten Basic Concepts. These are often raised by those who have not solved their own marital problems, but still feel they are qualified to advise others. When this happens you can expect some members to explain why their approach won't work, and why Marriage Builders� offers a better solution. There are many who are offended when that happens, but please keep in mind that the ultimate purpose of this Forum is to discuss and learn Marriage Builders� concepts.

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2534888#Post2534888

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
F
F
A reminder to posters that the purpose of our forum is to discuss and learn Marriage Builders concepts. This is not a platform for personal opinions. Please familiarize yourself with MB concepts before posting to those in need. If you cannot stick to MB concepts we ask that you refrain from posting. Thank you.

M
M
I read through your threads and am sorry you have to deal with this pain for two years. I know you are averse to divorce but I think that is the best option. After nearly 2.5 decades, she choose to betray you and throw everything away. She did not bend over backwards to reassure you of her love. She kept on ignoring your needs. She refused to quit her job and EVEN CHOSE TO PURSUE HER AFFAIR PARTNER before finally calling it quits and settling for you. You have basically become her second choice.

To me, it does not seem like she is staying with you out of love. Do you think she is staying because of money? Do you earn more money than her?
Your posts are beginning to amuse me, because it's becoming very clear from reading your posts that you have an agenda that is counter-productive to the OWNER of this site.

The moderators on this site are very good at what they do and they are very protective of the posters here. So...it's been nice (not) knowing you! [Linked Image from pic4ever.com]

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

R
R
Can I write my story when I am comfortable or am I not allowed to post till I do that?

S
S
Can I write my story when I am comfortable or am I not allowed to post till I do that?
You don't have to post your story at all. Nobody dragged you to come here and spill.

But I'll tell you what is not allowed:

You are not allowed to post opinions that are uninformed by Marriage Builders concepts on the threads of people seeking Marriage Builders advice.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
P
P

Why do you expect the rest of us to be comfortable around you when you wont even do us the courtesy of introducing yourself?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M

As long as you continue to disrupt the threads of people seeking help with questions for your own morbid curiosity, people will rightly challenge you. You can do a lot of damage, solely seeking the pleasure of gratifying your morbid curiosity. Some of us are really invested in helping these people.

So we rightly ask you to tell your story, so people can evaluate you and decide if you are helpful or not.

The purpose of the board is to discuss and learn Marriage Builders concepts. The approach of going around scattershot asking people questions about their marriages is usually not helpful for a marriage in trouble, as opposed to actually posting about your situation and taking a look at how the principles here can help. Other people are posting about their situations to receive help implementing the Marriage Builders concepts in their marriages, not to share their situation for the enjoyment of others.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
But I'll tell you what is not allowed:

You are not allowed to post opinions that are uninformed by Marriage Builders concepts on the threads of people seeking Marriage builders advice.
SugarCane is right. This is TOS.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

R
R
**EDIT**

Last edited by Fireproof; 07/31/12 08:13 PM. Reason: TOS disruptive
M
M
[quote=Retycon][/quote]

Okay, what are you here for, then? The rest of us are here to discuss and learn the concepts that you think are BS. Nobody asked you to chime in and straighten us all out.

Last edited by markos; 07/31/12 08:17 PM. Reason: self-editing, since the mod took out his post

F
F
Do not disrupt this thread anymore! If you can help this poster with MB concepts please feel free to post. If not, then refrain from posting.

D
D
Let me provide a couple of adjustments. I've struck through the non-MarriageBuilders concepts.

Originally Posted by THG12
7. Have I received just compensation?

Just Compensation occurs when you and your spouse have the joyful, loving marriage you deserve. You're obviously not quite there yet, but it sure looks like it's lurking just below the surface!

8. Has my ww chosen me? Is she remorseful, transparent?

For most recovering unfaithful wives, falling back in love with their husbands precedes remorse. It is when they fall back in love with you that they begin to empathize with you deeply enough to be horrified at the depth of the pain they have caused you.

10. Is ww forthright? If not, recovery blocked. Has she taken responsibility for her actions?

Forthright is synonymous with "open and honest". So that's fair.

But the third sentence in item number 10 has the same response as the previous paragraph: taking "responsibility" for her actions must be something she chooses to do, in her own way and her own time. And in most cases, it has the same kind of prerequisite: until she is in love with you, she won't have the depth of empathy for you that is required to realize the injury she caused. When she's in Conflict with you, she has only a little empathy (much as she'd have for anybody else on the planet), and in Withdrawal she will have ZERO empathy for you. She will just want you to stay away from her. You have to go through Conflict to get to Intimacy: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3600_state.html

11. Is ww O&H? Is ww crushed, apologetic and desperate for my acceptance?

Once again, separate issues conflated into one. Openness & honesty is a huge prerequisite to the Policy of Joint Agreement. Crushed, apologetic, desperate? Those do not sound like terms in the emotional vocabulary of most strong and self-assured women I know.

Hope that helps a little!

Doormat_No_More
(Formerly Barnboy)
Original thread lost in the forum purge of '09.
4 months after D-Day
1 year after D-Day
Two Years Later
Four Years Later
M
M
Originally Posted by Fireproof
A reminder to posters that the purpose of our forum is to discuss and learn Marriage Builders concepts. This is not a platform for personal opinions. Please familiarize yourself with MB concepts before posting to those in need. If you cannot stick to MB concepts we ask that you refrain from posting. Thank you.
Did I mention that our moderators are very protective of our posters? smile You, sir, have been served.

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
M
Somehow, I suspect that you don't HAVE a story. cool

D-Day 2-10-2009

T
THG12 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
So, I am not convinced my ww is open and honest with me. I think she is better than she was, but I am not convinced she can be open and honest about everything. How do you move foward with those doubts?

The recovery process has been a battle from day one.

Now that the adrenaline has left my body I question how could my wife act like she did? She admitted to having relationships with men/boys since high school to feel wanted. There wasn't allot of emotional sharing in her house.

Instead of looking forward to exploring every inch of her body, I look at her naked body and wonder how could she have taken off her clothes, layed down and spread her legs for someone else.

Sure we had our issues. I flew around the world for my job and when I was home it was hard to be in the current time zone. I wasn't a jerk, but we were not connected like we should have been.

How do you know if you have feelings left for your spouse or if you are just in a funk that you need to allow time to pass?

It is a suffering we must all bear. Strong efforts to prevent it from happening again. The opposite of covering up is uncovering or disclosing - The Pope
M
M
THG, Marriage Builders doesn't really advocate the "just let time pass" approach. The real thing to focus on is current issues.

Do you feel she is being open and honest and transparent right now, about current events? i.e., if she says she's going to the store, and you check up on her, does it turn out that she is telling the truth? Dr. Harley says to check up on your spouse for honesty often, until they have proved themselves so well that you literally find the process boring.

As far as the past, it doesn't sound like you are looking for any information that would help you and your wife avoid a previous affair. She has disclosed the identity of the affair partner and most of the details. She may not remember everything in perfect detail!! Most people don't remember every detail of their lives perfectly. If your memory is better than average, it may be hard to empathize with this.

The big problem to me, the elephant in the room, is that you guys still live close to OMs business and you live in an environment full of triggers. This is the elephant in the room that you are ignoring. There is NO GOOD, from a Marriage Builders point of view, to try to get a photographic memory account of the details of the affair, when you are not going to act on those details to get out of the environment that is triggering you. If it is not possible to avoid triggers on your daily drive, then I do not think you can heal if you are not willing to move.

T
THG12 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Dr Harley says that when the PRESENT is happy, one does not tend to have resentment about the past. It doesn't sound like you and your wife have taken the steps to make the present happy.

Once you life is turned upside down what is happiness? Is it that you make it through a day without an anxiety attack? Is it that you don't have to worry if your wife is being open and hones with you? Is it that you make it a day without thinking how your wife was ready to leave you for some tool? What is happiness after 21 months of hell?

It is a suffering we must all bear. Strong efforts to prevent it from happening again. The opposite of covering up is uncovering or disclosing - The Pope
T
THG12 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
the elephant in the room...

Last week I was thinking about my grandparents. It was common knowledge that Grandpa had an affair and then they moved 2.5 hours north to the community we still call home.

Maybe that is the problem. My hometown has felt so small (population 350K) since I discovered the affair. But, do you go through the process of finding a new job in another city, renting / selling the house and moving away from our family and run the risk once you get there that you still feel indiferent about your spouse?

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation