Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 46 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 45 46
C
C
**edit**

Last edited by Fireproof; 08/04/12 12:28 AM. Reason: TOS disrespectful

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
N
N
**edit**

Last edited by MBLBanker; 08/04/12 10:29 AM. Reason: TOS: admonishing another poster. If you have a problem with another poster, please use the notify button and let the moderators handle any admonitions, if needed.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
C
C
I simply mean to point out that Zhamila is repeating her history: when she feels distant, rather than drawing close, she brings MORE distance. I'm not sure what she hopes to accomplish with that, but if her goal is divorce, she is on the right path.

I don't think she reads my posts. She doesn't tend to respond to anyone who points out flaws in her behavior or plans, only those who hold up what she already believes and does.

She quite likely made a bad decision in partners. Or, just as likely, she has not learned how to be a good partner. When she said that she didn't like having every sentence opposed in the conversation about the restaurant decor, that told me that she is not interested in reaching agreements with someone, she wants someone who will agree with her. That's not a good partner, that's someone who desires a subordinate.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
M
M
Originally Posted by Brits_Brat
The impression I have had from the outset of your thread is not that you wanted to recover your marriage but, rather, that you wanted validation from others that your husband is a dolt and you should divorce him immediately. I do not feel you ever wanted to recover your marriage because of the way you were constantly finding fault with his very being. So, now you have it.....

That does not seem to be the impression that Dr. Harley got when he emailed Zhamila:

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2651165#Post2651165

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Hi Zhamila,

You bring up a very important point that I am actually writing about for an article in the next newsletter � how to get along with your wife. The problem that most men face is that their wives get upset about things they would not be upset about. When their wives tell them that it upsets them (makes love bank withdrawals) they have a choice. They can either accommodate their wife�s sensitivities and preserve Love Bank balances, or keep doing insensitive things and lose their love. In your case, your husband has chosen to lose your love for him. The Policy of Joint Agreement helps men avoid that mistake by forcing them to do only what their wives enthusiastically agree with. It helps maintain their wife�s Love Bank balance.

During your dating period, your husband may have violated the Policy of Joint Agreement in your favor. He may have done whatever it was to make you happy even if it was at his expense (win-lose). That strategy is what I call the renter�s strategy. It�s a man�s early effort to gain a woman�s love. But as soon as the woman is committed to him in marriage, he decides to change the win-lose outcome to his advantage and to her disadvantage. He wins and she loses. That�s one of the reasons I encourage dating couples to spend considerable time talking about the POJA and the four guidelines to successful negotiation before they marry.

He must learn not to do anything she wants if it�s not something that he would also enjoy. He also learns to avoid doing anything that she would not enthusiastically agree to, not as a sacrifice, but as simply being thoughtful. Your husband has never learned that lesson, and your marriage may end because of it. However, there�s always a chance that he can see its wisdom and change his approach to marital problem-solving. My next article will explain all of this, so if he�s willing to read it, he may see the light. Otherwise, your marriage will not survive.

Best wishes,
Dr. Harley

I bolded the part that stands out to me. I don't see Dr. Harley calling Zhamila's husband a dolt, but I do see him saying that their marriage may not survive if he does not get on board and learn thoughtfulness toward her.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
C
C
Back in April, she posted:

UPDATE! We had our first session. My job is to stop trying to be the marriage coach. Love this!

She didn't follow that one basic instruction. She made up a "Verbal Abuse Agreement" (note--you think there's a reason why Dr. Harley calls SDs abusive in the book, but not on the questionnaire or agreement? I do. In the book, the author addresses the reader. On the agreement and Q's, it's spouse-to-spouse).

Markos, have you read the thread yet? Her old ones from '06 are pretty enlightening, too. I don't think for one second that Zhamila is a bad person, but I do think she has a bit of a wall up. She once told me that 'all you had to deal with was some IB and thoughtlessness' and she was dealing with much more than that. Let's see...husband who travels, gets mad if you complain about it, yells about/at the kids (moving a chair? really? ah...the good ol days), verbalizes that she has expectations that are too high, poo-poohs her ideas for sport...sounds very familiar! Only my H also moved out in the middle of the night while we were sleeping. Abandoned his wife and kids. Poof! Abracadabra!

Shazam!

She is not dealing with someone uninterested in saving the marriage. He's imperfect, absolutely. I saved my marriage with someone hell-bent on destroying it. Once he realized what a dolt he was, he changed. Maybe filing for divorce herself will help jolt Zha. She already said she wanted him to do it so it could be 'his fault'. THAT'S abuse, markos, trying to get the person you want to leave to leave you first so you can be the victim. It's gaslighting. "I will make you hate me so much that you leave me, then I will tell everyone how awful you are for leaving me."

(Oscar Wilde)
P
P

Originally Posted by CWMI
She is not dealing with someone uninterested in saving the marriage
This doesn't line up with this:

He continues to say that his AOs are 'no big deal,' that I am blowing everything out of proportion.

After all the sessions with Steve AND anger management, he should be taking responsibility for his abuse by now. He is not.

Their marriage has no chance to recover as long as his anger continues, even if Z were the model marriage builder.

Of course she is pulling back from him. He abuses her, drains her lovebank, isn't coming anywhere close to filling her lovebank, and he refuses to acknowledge the severity of his abuse. Women tend to withdraw from that.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
Note that Dr. Harley says that Z's husband is CHOOSING to lose her love for him. And if he doesn't change, the marriage will end. Dr. Harley is putting the responsibility for saving this marriage on Mr. Z's shoulders at this point.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

C
C
He signed the agreement she drew up, enumerating all his offenses. Is that taking responsibility?

(Oscar Wilde)
P
P
Is it?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

B
B
Dr H is advising on the information he is being given. If that information is slanted by the giver, then he is advising to that slant because he can only go on what he is being told.

We here on this forum have only Z's version of the events. This may be why her husband was so very hurt when he read her journal...maybe what he read was not what actually happened. When my WXH was in the throws of his A, he had a completely different view of various incidents in our marriage.

BTW a perfect example of how his views may have equal merit and be more MB is when Z was upset her husband read her journal....yet, one of the fundamental principles of MB is openness and honesty. We encourage spouses to snoop, we encourage spouses to have each others electronic account information.

Z, why don't you encourage your husband to start a thread here and share his version of what is going on?

Last edited by Brits_Brat; 08/03/12 03:48 PM.
P
P
I do not need Mr. Z's side of the story to know how damanging AOs are, or how damaging failure to follow follow POJA is. Dr. Harley certainly doesn't.

It would be great if he would start his own thread, but he will not remember how intense his AOs are. His side of the story will not change what damage he has caused.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
I was upset when my husband read my journal once, because he punished me for what he read.

Mr. Z was very upset with her because of what she wrote -- he was pretty harsh. I can understand why she would be upset.

Openness and Honesty, transparency, these are all very important. But he has got to do his part and make that safe for her, which he has not.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
Early on, I came to recognize that angry outbursts are probably the most damaging thing a spouse can do in marriage. I say this in spite of my recognition that infidelity is also a very damaging behavior. But I'm often more optimistic about the recovery of a marriage that has suffered from infidelity than than recovery of a marriage that suffers from angry outbursts. The primary reason that angry outbursts just about eliminate the hope of marital happiness is that even if they are very infrequent, they prevent a couple from solving their problems because the threat always hangs over every conversation. The first guideline for marital negotiation is to make the discussion pleasant and safe, and an angry spouse fails that very first condition, making the rest of it impossible to implement. Angry spouses simply create an environment that makes it impossible to make marital adjustments. That'swhy I advise couples with multiple problems that include anger to overcome the anger first, and then focus on the rest of the problems later.

Dr. Harley on the severity of anger (private forum thread)

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

T
T
Hi Z,

I am glad you caught MB radio yesterday, I thought of your sitch also when I heard Dr. Harley say that.

I agree if you are going to stay together you need to plug back in and start doing the full MB program. It's soo hard when your LB$ is in the negative, I do understand that! You mentioned one time back in your thread that your balance is so low, that even when he does make some deposits, a few bad days really set you back, I get that for sure! I struggle with that sometimes too. Positive UA time makes all the difference for me.

I was thinking his LB$ balance is probably pretty low also, certainly not as low as yours, but probably doesn't help either. Some real positive UA time and LB$ would probably really help!

I don't have time right now to go all the way back through your thread, so I am just going to mention some complaints I remember him making and what I think you wrote that sounded dismissive.

You have posted several times punctuality is very important to your H, he likes to discuss a time and plan with you well in advance, you have stated that this "stresses you out" and is basically unnecessary.

He has mentioned some DS issues, mostly the kids making a mess or not cleaning up behind themselves, you stated you viewed this as "minor" sounds dismissive about that complaint.

You have also mentioned at one point lecturing him, you have posted several times about him asking you to "keep it brief" you did mention working on this issue, but he mentioned it again recently, so I would assume it continues to be a problem.

He recently told you he is "sick of having to repeat what you say" apparently complaining about having to mirror things back to you. (I get he decided to start doing that at SH suggestion to prevent you from going on and on haha) but maybe it's is time to POJA a new strategy.

It also seems that you get upset sometimes when he tells you that he is not enthusiastic about something, but that is part of correct POJA, and should not be viewed as an lb.

I also did want to quote something back to you that i think is interesting........in your original post you wrote

His latest defense is a good offense: �Well, I�m not happy about X.� or �You are constantly DJ�ing and I�m tired of it.� I am working on my LBs, but he considers things DJs that aren�t: e.g. he thinks snooping is a DJ.

Just some thoughts.

B
B
Excellent post TIA!!!!!!! eXACTLY my point! She is perfect, he is always "abusing" her or treating her badly by expressing his needs.

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Prisca
He continues to say that his AOs are 'no big deal,' that I am blowing everything out of proportion.
If this is true, then there isn't much progress to give him credit for, tismeagain.

I liketheidea of keeping it simple and they could even grab a movie from red box or whatever then discuss.
Z, skip the movie smile Your lovebank is so empty that you need some serious UA time.

Thank you for weighing in Prisca. I always value your thoughts.

Update: Something "broke" last night. It was wonderful.

I was in the bathroom, weeping my l'il eyes out, finally able to grieve, recognizing that my relationship was dead, but that God can raise the dead. I finally 'let go.'

I tried to be really quiet since he was sleeping, but he heard me and came in. He gently touched me and said he was so sorry, he was afraid he's not capable of being a good husband, that he has no business being married to anyone, that he's just hurt me and ruined my life. I told him he hasn't ruined my life, how much it means to me to hear him honestly sharing his hopes and fears, that I like him - love him - and just want to make him happy. I told him I'm so sorry he's hurting, that I want us to be happy together, and that I love him. We held each other, and it's the closest I think I've ever felt with him. We went to sleep reconciled...after wonderful SF, cause I wanted him - I felt so safe and close with him.

He said he has hope. I said so do I. It was beautiful.

(I started this last night...haven't read today's posts, will go catch up)

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Another update:

After our lovely evening, I woke up at 2 am with horrible chest pains. They got worse and worse, then I got dizzy and nauseous and couldn't stand up at all. He called an ambulance and they took me in to ER with all kinds of ECG stuff, IVs, etc. I just turned 40 and I'm in great physical shape, eat healthy and get exercise, so I can't imagine having heart problems. I thought I was dying - it was scary.

I told my H in the ER that it was "prolly that awesome orgasm" that did my heart in.

They released me after some tests at 6 am, having found no heart attack symptoms. But the Dr. called later and told me they found a "spot" near my heart. My chest has felt tight all day (all week really) and I'm going in tomorrow for a bunch of scans and tests and stuff.

So all those weird symptoms weren't just my imagination.

We had dinner alone tonight. It was nice. He's going to sleep early since he sat up all night in the hospital then had to work today. He needs some rest. I worked from home.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
oops

Last edited by Zhamila; 08/03/12 09:10 PM. Reason: accidentally posted twice

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Early on, I came to recognize that angry outbursts are probably the most damaging thing a spouse can do in marriage. I say this in spite of my recognition that infidelity is also a very damaging behavior. But I'm often more optimistic about the recovery of a marriage that has suffered from infidelity than than recovery of a marriage that suffers from angry outbursts. The primary reason that angry outbursts just about eliminate the hope of marital happiness is that even if they are very infrequent, they prevent a couple from solving their problems because the threat always hangs over every conversation. The first guideline for marital negotiation is to make the discussion pleasant and safe, and an angry spouse fails that very first condition, making the rest of it impossible to implement. Angry spouses simply create an environment that makes it impossible to make marital adjustments. That'swhy I advise couples with multiple problems that include anger to overcome the anger first, and then focus on the rest of the problems later.

Dr. Harley on the severity of anger (private forum thread)

Thank you for this, Prisca! I'll go read it now.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by tismeagain
Hi Z,
I don't have time right now to go all the way back through your thread, so I am just going to mention some complaints I remember him making and what I think you wrote that sounded dismissive.

You have posted several times punctuality is very important to your H, he likes to discuss a time and plan with you well in advance, you have stated that this "stresses you out" and is basically unnecessary.

He has mentioned some DS issues, mostly the kids making a mess or not cleaning up behind themselves, you stated you viewed this as "minor" sounds dismissive about that complaint.

You have also mentioned at one point lecturing him, you have posted several times about him asking you to "keep it brief" you did mention working on this issue, but he mentioned it again recently, so I would assume it continues to be a problem.

He recently told you he is "sick of having to repeat what you say" apparently complaining about having to mirror things back to you. (I get he decided to start doing that at SH suggestion to prevent you from going on and on haha) but maybe it's is time to POJA a new strategy.

It also seems that you get upset sometimes when he tells you that he is not enthusiastic about something, but that is part of correct POJA, and should not be viewed as an lb.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks TisMe.

I've been working on the punctuality. SH helped me recognize that this is something I can do to show my care for my H. It was difficult to work through emotionally, because he would yell at me when we were late, and I struggled with 'rewarding an AO' But this one is better now. Also, I don't think I said it was "unnecessary." (correct me if I'm wrong and did say this?)Just that it "stresses me out." I try to stay focused on my feelings rather than on judging his needs.

The DS stuff: it doesn't bother me that he complains about the kids' messes - in fact I work hard to keep them from being an irritant to him. What bothers me is his angry insistence on 'punishment' - demanding immediate, harsh consequences for things like backpacks out, etc. I want to guide my children - but I also want to do it in ways that I can enthusiastically support. Having him AO while he insisted upon certain consequences felt really bad.

Yep, lecturing is one o' my faults. And I've been working on it - and listening to recordings of our conversations so I can recognize it when it happens. He also acknowledges that he can't handle much conversation at all (remember the EN Questionnaire share, when he said, "I GET IT" after I read the first sentence on the conversation page?) Anyway, I agree that this is a doozy. Writing stuff to him has helped this, but I need to try it more.

On the 'enthusiastic' thing, I am happy to hear his thoughts and opinions. What isn't fun is when he contradicts every sentence I say, without ever acknowledging that he heard me. This is something Steve tried to help him work on - validating my feelings (he doesn't have to agree). It's awesome when he does it, but it hasn't become one of his habits yet. So, it's an LB as an "annoying habit" in my mind.

Thanks for mentioning these.

Elizabeth Bowen

Page 25 of 46 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 462 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation