Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 46 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 45 46
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Oh gosh...I Cloud 9'd again. And I'm trying not to crash now. Cr*p.

(I kept it brief - didn't want to overwhelm him)
I asked my H tonight how he was feeling, if he was ok?

He said yes, he had fun at dinner and it's good to have something to worry about besides 'us' (my health junk). I agreed! smile

Then I told him how much I enjoyed our conversation last night, that I could have one of those every day.

He said it is really hard for him to be so open, and he doesn't think he can do that very often.

I asked him if I'm doing something to make it hard for him? He said no. Just that he wants to be perfect and would rather not share his vulnerabilites - ever.

He repeated that he doesn't think he's 'capable' of that kind of intimacy. So I just rubbed his back and told him I love him. We kissed good night.

Oh gosh. Last night was the closest I'd ever felt to him, but he was suffering! Is this intimacy gap something people can bridge? If he really never wants to share his inner self because it's so uncomfortable for him - but I feel disconnected when he doesn't - can we find a common ground?

It works the other way, too. When I try to share my inner self he gets really uncomfortable - changes the subject, interrupts, etc.

I want to be connected to him...I need more than small talk. Maybe it's unreasonable, but that's what I want. If he doesn't want to give it, then I certainly don't want to 'force' him or even try to persuade him. What do MB couples do about this?

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J

Hi Prisca!

Access was "denied" when I tried to read more on this link. Do I have to be in the Coaching program to use that link?

Anyway, thanks for the quote you gave. I'll read it a few more times.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
**edit*"

I like your style, NED!

You hold up a high standard for your words and deeds, and it inspires me to do the same.

Last edited by MBLBanker; 08/04/12 10:33 AM. Reason: Editing moderated quote.

Elizabeth Bowen

K
K
Z, I apologize if this sounds disrespectful but you really seem to hit highs and lows based on momentary situations. Everything is absolutely wonderful and there's hope or the entire world is falling apart and you feel absolutely unsafe. You also don't seem to be in control of your emotions, you seem to let others around you dictate how you're going to feel.

I can't speak for every guy. I'm a pretty typical guy. But if my wife expected me to have tearful heartfelt conversations constantly or on a daily basis, not only would I be emotionally worn out from trying but I'd get increasingly stressed out on a daily basis. And take this from a guy that Written poetry that�s been published, occasionally crys during sad movies (Blue Valentine as an example). Although it�d be a huge turn off for my wife for me to have constant heart felt conversations.

All MB couples are different in as far as what the spouse needs from the other spouse. Connecting is perfectly fine. And he can definitely learn to listen and acknowledge your feelings when you express them. But I think you�re going to get disappointed if you want him to share his �vulnerabilities� and have long deep emotionally conversations on a daily basis.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
The reason abuse is difficult to define is that it usually means one thing to the abuser and another to the one being abused.

However, there's an issue that's far more important than how abuse is defined. Whatever we decide to call it, abuse or something else, spouses who feel abused are being hurt. So the advice I give on the subject of abuse tends to sidestep the issue of definition, and it goes right to the core of the problem -- that spouses must learn to protect each other from any of their behavior that's harmful. There are literally thousands of ways that one spouse can hurt another, and I am opposed to all of them. Whatever it's named, if you are hurting your spouse, you should stop doing it.

My H is very focused on the definition of abuse. This quote from Dr. Harley helps me understand that it's OK to back away from that discussion.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
Z, I apologize if this sounds disrespectful but you really seem to hit highs and lows based on momentary situations. Everything is absolutely wonderful and there's hope or the entire world is falling apart and you feel absolutely unsafe. You also don't seem to be in control of your emotions, you seem to let others around you dictate how you're going to feel.

Thanks KT. You are right, I do go high and low. I'll see my Dr. for a cardiac stress-test this week, and perhaps she'll adjust my AD medication. I want this marriage to work very badly, and I seize on any sign of encouragement hoping the tide has turned.

All MB couples are different in as far as what the spouse needs from the other spouse. Connecting is perfectly fine. And he can definitely learn to listen and acknowledge your feelings when you express them. But I think you’re going to get disappointed if you want him to share his ‘vulnerabilities’ and have long deep emotionally conversations on a daily basis.

So am I reading this article incorrectly? I want the kinds of conversations described below:

Remember how it used to be? You and your wife used to be fascinated with each other. You would support and encourage each other. Empathy and understanding were almost effortless. You had many common interests to talk about. Somehow, you need to resurrect the kindness, consideration, empathy and interest you once shared in your conversations with each other.

Once you can talk to each other like that again, you will be meeting one of each other's most important emotional needs: The need for conversation. And if you can learn to do it well, you will deposit so many love units that you will become irresistible to each other again.

The first Friend of Good Conversation is using conversation to investigate, inform and understand your spouse. You and your spouse have not begun to exhaust all there is to know about each other. But, for some reason, you have stopped investigating.

I suggest that you investigate the facts of each other's personal histories, present experiences and plans for the future. Also investigate each other's attitudes and emotional reactions to those facts. You are bound to each other, through marriage, in a partnership that requires you to navigate through life with skill and coordination. Without conversation you will have neither, and your marriage may crash.

...and this:

After you have investigated and informed each other of personal activities and feelings, you are in a position to understand each other. What motivates you and your spouse to do what you both do? What are your rewards, and what do you find punishing? What are your beliefs, and how are they put into practice? What are your most common positive and negative emotional reactions? What are your strengths and weaknesses? The list goes on and on. There is so much to know about each other, you will never get to know it all.

By reaching an understanding of each other, your conversation will break through the superficiality barrier. You become emotionally connected to each other, and able to bring out each other's best feelings, and avoid the worst.

This is the standard I'd like to achieve. Am I hearing you say that it's impossible for men to do this? Or at least, very uncomfortable?

I certainly don't want my H to be uncomfortable. And if all men dread having conversations that 'investigate each other' - then why would Dr. Harley suggest this very thing? Why is conversation held to such a high standard in his books and articles?

Last edited by Zhamila; 08/04/12 01:14 PM.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Health Update: tests were all fine, no sign of a heart attack, tumor, or pneumonia.

Probably just stress. I go in for more testing with my PCP next week...maybe I need a tranquilizer (ha!) sleep

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
A year from now, 2 weeks or 4 weeks won't make a difference. The worst thing you can do is separate/divorce and then take him back too soon. My mom did that and it terrorized us to think we were free of my stepdad only to have him come back again. If it takes another week to get the information you need to really make it stick until you are for sure set up for success, then that's better for your family I think.

Thank you for this insight, NewEveryDay. It means a lot to me, and I kept "losing" your post to quote, so I'm finally getting to it.

I'd like to ask: does "make it stick" mean "separate until things are improved" or does it mean "keep trying to turn the marriage around?"

I think you mean I should be 'sure that I'm sure that I'm sure' and not be wishy-washy if I decide to separate. Is that correct?

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Zhamila
I certainly don't want my H to be uncomfortable.

I also want to say that I am very grateful he was honest with me. I would definitely rather have his honesty than have him try while suffering.

Last edited by Zhamila; 08/04/12 01:13 PM.

Elizabeth Bowen

P
P
Originally Posted by Brits_Brat
Excellent post TIA!!!!!!! eXACTLY my point! She is perfect, he is always "abusing" her or treating her badly by expressing his needs.
Yes, Z has had a problem with DJs and Demands.

So does he. And yes, that is abuse.

But all this pales in comparison to his AOs. Dr. Harley believes AOs are far more distructive, and need to be eliminated FIRST before any other problem is solved.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
He gently touched me and said he was so so sorry
"Sorry" is a good step in the right direction.
If he is truely sorry, he will never AO again and will start meeting your EN so that you can fall in love with him again.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
Access was "denied" when I tried to read more on this link. Do I have to be in the Coaching program to use that link?

Yes, the original post is on the private forum, which is for those who are enrolled in the online program.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Prisca

Yes, the original post is on the private forum, which is for those who are enrolled in the online program.

Thanks!

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Prisca
He gently touched me and said he was so so sorry
"Sorry" is a good step in the right direction.
If he is truely sorry, he will never AO again and will start meeting your EN so that you can fall in love with him again.

Yes, the "sorry" was so helpful. I am still holding out hope that he will never AO again and begin meeting my ENs. I want to find a way to have him meet my ENs without feeling uncomfortable.

Prisca: Did you and Markos ever separate? Were you ever afraid things wouldn't work out?

Elizabeth Bowen

M
M
I want to be connected to him...I need more than small talk. Maybe it's unreasonable, but that's what I want. If he doesn't want to give it, then I certainly don't want to 'force' him or even try to persuade him. What do MB couples do about this?

Hi, Z,

No this is not unreasonable. In fact, in order to have a good marriage you are going to have to have good, intimate conversation as described in the article you linked. I would take that article and read it with your husband. Both of you need to review the friends and enemies of good conversation, regularly.

Most of our needs are usually not something the other person feels an emotional need for. An example is how SF is typically seen as a top male need but not a top female need, and another example is how intimate conversation is typically seen as a top female need but not a top male need.

So in order to get our needs met, especially when the love banks are low, we have to work to motivate each other to meet those needs. This means making it enjoyable: the husband with a high SF need married to a wife with a low SF need would be told by Dr. Harley to be sure to make SF extremely enjoyable for his wife so that she will be motivated to meet his need. And similarly the wife with a high conversation need married to a husband with a low conversation need would be told by Dr. Harley to be sure to make conversation extremely enjoyable for her husband so that he will be motivated to meet her need.

The friends and enemies of good conversation accomplish this, if you will commit yourselves to practicing them every day, fifteen hours a week. Dr. Harley says it may be very awkward at first. This is because your low love bank balances give you emotions that encourage you to push each other away. So you may find the conversation is awkward or feels like small talk, but push past that, commit yourselves to keep practicing and giving each other feedback to get it right. The feedback Dr. Harley recommends in his coaching is a weekly worksheet listing times you noticed each other using the friends, or enemies, of good conversation. You want to make sure you are hitting all of the friends of good conversation so that it is enjoyable for your husband. And you want to avoid the enemies. You will find they are our old familiar acquaintances, the abusive love busters: using conversation to get your way (demands), using conversation to force your point of view (disrespectful judgments), and using conversation to punish your spouse (angry outbursts). Also among the enemies is dwelling on mistakes of the past or present.

I recommend you read over that article together and also compare with the conversation chapter in His Needs Her Needs, which is newer and revised a bit as compared to that article. Both of you need to read them. I would not hold out much hope if your husband is not willing to read them and not willing to invest the time with you to practice good conversation. Dr. Harley says fifteen hours a week.

I would also encourage you to be real careful how you word your conversation desires. If you state that your husband is not "sharing his inner self," he could feel judged. He may feel that he is sharing his inner self and disagree with you! The inner self of a man is typically pretty different from the inner self of a woman. Dr. Harley says when he and Joyce are driving around and he falls silent and she asks "What are you thinking about?" his answer is likely to be something mundane like "That road sign over there." Not what a woman is expecting. smile But if she wants to motivate him to share she needs to be very careful not to judge what he feels like sharing! Focus on the friends of good conversation that are lacking; when they are present, I'm sure you will feel like you are getting the kind of intimate conversation you are seeking. But the way Dr. Harley words things is done very carefully to try to avoid making anybody feel judged.

You are dealing in this post with a very typical and classic problem. Not an anomaly at all. And Dr. Harley has been solving it for couples for a long time. smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
K
K
Z, I think you either misunderstood what I typed or I didn't state it well. Markos put it well when he wrote that what is intimate to you might not be his definition. So he might be sharing his inner feelings but you might feel he's not. What I was referring to was how you felt cherished when he was crying and expressing his imperfections. It might be really uncomfortable for him to express himself in this manner on a regular basis.

And be careful if he says he's thinking about nothing and you try and draw more out of it. Guys literally can zone out and think about nothing.

Perhaps a good place to start would he for him to tellyou how much he loves you,missed you, and share one thing that happenedduring his day

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

T
T
Wow Z, what a night you had! I am glad all test came back clear. Do you think you had some type of panic attack? I don't know why you would have, sounds like things were going great and you were happy, but I have heard that a panic attack can look like heart attack symptoms.

I am so happy Mr. Z apologized, and that the two of you had a great intimate conversation. I don't understand why you were then concerned about crashing the following night? Did something happen?

I hope you will strike while the iron is hot now by really sitting down with Mr. Z to schedule your UA time for the week. If you don't then you will find yourself back to an empty (or negative) LB$ before you know it. This great night and break through will not carry you through for long, but should motivate you. I hope you will start to make it a habit to sit down with him once a week, to plan and schedule the UA time that you can both feel enthusiastic about!

What are your top 5 EN's? You have mentioned Mr. Zs top 3, and that intimate conversation is one of yours, but don't think you have posted the full top 5.

Sorry Z, you are correct, you did not actually use the word unnecessary. I was low on time and just very quickly skimmed over your thread, I looked over it more carefully and no those were never your exact words, I think I got that from this statement that you had written in response to a question to CWMI,

To answer you: no, it is not important to me when things happen, especially things on the weekends.

That to me says you don't think it's necessary. I apologize for putting words in your mouth.

I hope this break through can help you guys turn the corner. Now that he has apologized, and if he continues to avoid AO's, you can really get to work to rebuild your marriage. If conversation continues to be a problem maybe you can contact Steve again to help. smile

Last edited by tismeagain; 08/04/12 07:17 PM.
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Markos
You are dealing in this post with a very typical and classic problem. Not an anomaly at all. And Dr. Harley has been solving it for couples for a long time. smile

Wow. That's all I can say. What a great post! Thank you Markos!

I did this tonight while we were out - we had a great conversation (from my POV) but I asked him if anything had been uncomfortable, how did he feel about the convo, etc. He gave me some good feedback and some changes to make (i.e. don't ask about his prior marriage). Also, he kept catching himself using "aggressive" language (that's what he calls it, saying "you" instead of "I") and I caught myself a few times. It was actually fun because we laughed at ourselves and talked about how hard it is to never say the word "you."

I will work really hard at keeping the conversations pleasant for him. Thank you for the sage advice.

Funny story: I have these couple friends where the husband calls his wife "Holy Spirit Jr." because he appreciates her insight so much and benefits from her perspective. I'm gonna call you and Prisca "Harley Spirit Jr." in my mind from now on.

smile

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Z, I think you either misunderstood what I typed or I didn't state it well. Markos put it well when he wrote that what is intimate to you might not be his definition. So he might be sharing his inner feelings but you might feel he's not. What I was referring to was how you felt cherished when he was crying and expressing his imperfections. It might be really uncomfortable for him to express himself in this manner on a regular basis.

And be careful if he says he's thinking about nothing and you try and draw more out of it. Guys literally can zone out and think about nothing.

Perhaps a good place to start would he for him to tellyou how much he loves you,missed you, and share one thing that happenedduring his day

Thanks for clarifying Kilted Thrower. This helps me understand your perspective!

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by tismeagain
Wow Z, what a night you had! I am glad all test came back clear.

I am so happy Mr. Z apologized, and that the two of you had a great intimate conversation. I don't understand why you were then concerned about crashing the following night? Did something happen?

Thanks TisMe! It was a good night.

The crash came when he iterated that he's 'not capable' of intimate conversation and didn't enjoy the night's convo. I just got discouraged that he was suffering during a time I felt very close to him. I don't want him suffering so I can have a need met, and I thought he was telling me that it was a lost cause.

I hope you will strike while the iron is hot now by really sitting down with Mr. Z to schedule your UA time for the week. If you don't then you will find yourself back to an empty (or negative) LB$ before you know it. This great night and break through will not carry you through for long, but should motivate you. I hope you will start to make it a habit to sit down with him once a week, to plan and schedule the UA time that you can both feel enthusiastic about!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement for UA. I'll try...I know I should. I just dread it like I would dread nasty medicine. frown I get all tight inside just thinking I'll have to spend 15 hours with him next week. This is terrible! I know I must overcome my emotions...argh.

I think I got that from this statement that you had written in response to a question to CWMI,

"To answer you: no, it is not important to me when things happen, especially things on the weekends."

That to me says you don't think it's necessary. I apologize for putting words in your mouth.

You are so sweet! That's totally ok. And seriously when you catch me DJ'ing, I appreciate it if you point it out!!

It is funny, I try to be extra careful not to judge other people's needs. So though I said "it's not important" I added "to me" because it's not important to me. I realize it's important to him and I respect that, and I'm comfortable that we see it differently. Even if I decide to be punctual for his sake, punctuality still won't be important to me. Other things are more important to me than punctuality, like making sure I am calm and kind while getting ready to leave; or enjoying the moment with a loved-one rather than going onto the next event. But people see things differently and that's what I like about getting to know them.

I have learned so much freedom by just expressing my wants or feelings, and letting other people have theirs. It's more relaxing for me, since I've let go of "trying to run the world."

Anyway, I'm grateful you are pointing me toward improving myself. Thanks friend! grin

Elizabeth Bowen

Page 26 of 46 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 462 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation