Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 41 of 46 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 45 46
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
doh2

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
K
K
Originally Posted by Zhamila
Originally Posted by kerala
I have to be completely honest - I simply wouldn't tolerate AOs in my husband. If the habit reared its head after we were married, I don't think I'd stick around for very long.

Some people really like the "sturm und drang" of emotional scenes. I am NOT one of them. A harmonious, peaceful relationship is my #1 expectation. Of course conflicts arise, but they need to be civilized. Even daily "bickering" is too much in my book.

Kerala, this is exactly how I feel...I just haven't been acting like it. I just want peace.

So, I've totally messed this up? What next?

Clearly you have a problem with enforcing limits.

You can either tell yourself, "next time, it's for real"...or you can take the steps now.

It all depends on whether you want temporary peace (he's onboard, I assume things are calm) or long-term relief...

K
K
I don't think you messed up. I think you need to write a list as to what constitutes to you an AO. For example, write that he will not yell, slam his fist, hit any objects, kick something, curse, etc. If he gets mad, he needs to say "excuse me" and go take a walk. He needs to learn that point that gets him heated and not go there. If he violates this, then he can pack his bags and go.

Then you two should practice in all decisions start with "How do you feel about..."

Last edited by kilted_thrower; 08/16/12 10:44 PM.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

N
N
Just be careful Z honey, trust your gut, you know when it's safest. Look into local resources to get some guidance on how to do what you need to do in the safest way and timing possible. I'm praying for you and your family. Don't kick yourself on your timing of anything, safety first.

My mom was really nervous about my safety when I filed. I had already calmly let my then-H know that I would involve the police if he put his hands on me again. That O&H I think was important in reminding myself I was safe. But each situation is different and you are the best judge of your own safety and that of your kids. My friend had her daughter stay with me at my house when her divorce went through so she would be there to have to see it if anything went awry. Her confidence knowing she was taking steps for her daughter's safety contributed positively to her situation. The fear itself can be part of the trigger, so if you can take steps to replace that with confidence in your plan, it contributes positively for all of you.

That's part of why I emphasized the UA time, too, to help re-humanize you in your H's eyes, helps with safety, too, recent good memories together, more incentive to keep the positive momentum going. A separation can give you the best shot at long term happiness together.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
M
M
Zhamila, I really think you are getting great advice here.

Is there any way your husband would post to us?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Just be careful Z honey, trust your gut, you know when it's safest. Look into local resources to get some guidance on how to do what you need to do in the safest way and timing possible. I'm praying for you and your family. Don't kick yourself on your timing of anything, safety first.

That's part of why I emphasized the UA time, too, to help re-humanize you in your H's eyes, helps with safety, too, recent good memories together, more incentive to keep the positive momentum going. A separation can give you the best shot at long term happiness together.

Thank you for weighing in, NED. I was hoping you would, since you've been there and you understand what it looks like from the "inside."

I agree (in my head) that separation can give us the best shot at long-term happiness together. But when he told me he "can't" work on the marriage if we separate, I was afraid he meant it. I want a great marriage with him, not a divorce. But I just don't think it's going to happen until he gets some serious long-term help...and there is no incentive for him to do that while we're living together.

In fact this morning I asked if he'd checked out a certain site I'd mentioned to him. He had previously agreed, asked me to send him the link (2 days ago - I did). Well, as of this morning he hadn't looked at it, and told me he wouldn't have time even over his lunch break to check it out (even though he's told me before he just surfs the web and reads random news over lunch). I just silently looked at him (dead pan). I'm a little shocked by how quickly a tearful apology can turn into apathy. He checked himself and said, "If it's important to you, I'll read it today," and grabbed it on his Kindle right then. Though I was glad he did this, I am more concerned: If he doesn't pursue help on his own - without my prompting - he won't get better.

The old tightness around my heart, the old nervousness in my gut has started to come back. And the bone-weariness too. He's been very nice, etc....but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. He is still the same man - just on tip-toe. That's not a sustainable place for him, nor for anyone. I want him to be able to "be himself," just an improved "himself."

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by markos
Zhamila, I really think you are getting great advice here.

Is there any way your husband would post to us?

I told him I wish he would (this morning) - but I understand if he doesn't want to. I don't think he wants to - sometimes the advice here is great, other times he thinks certain people just jump on the "drama" bandwagon and insert their oar unhelpfully, even unpleasantly. He isn't sure he wants to deal with some of the cutting, disrespectful remarks that occasionally crop up. I can't say I blame him - some very hurtful (uninformed, unhelpful) things can certainly be expressed here. Not everyone has the insight and empathy of the best posters.

Anyway, I've asked him several times, but I respect his hesitancy.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
I don't think you messed up. I think you need to write a list as to what constitutes to you an AO. For example, write that he will not yell, slam his fist, hit any objects, kick something, curse, etc. If he gets mad, he needs to say "excuse me" and go take a walk. He needs to learn that point that gets him heated and not go there. If he violates this, then he can pack his bags and go.

Then you two should practice in all decisions start with "How do you feel about..."

Thanks KT. I made that list on Monday. I'll share it with him again - I have shared it, but I know how hard it can be to remember things when I'm emotional, so I guess I'm not sure how much he remembers about the 'conditions' of staying. I sort of asked him yesterday morning, and he wasn't able to clearly articulate much beyond: No more AOs. I want SAFETY and RESPECT - and that part's not really getting through. I guess it's easier to remember the "Don'ts" than the "Do's"?

Elizabeth Bowen

C
C
So he said no?

How about taking it to the private forums where Dr. Harley posts?

Did they ever answer your last email?

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
C
C
I think KT means a written list. Didn't you already have him sign one? Does he have a copy?

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
C
C
Safety and respect are pretty vague terms. Men especially need the dots a lot closer together than vague emotional terms. I like KT's suggestion of writing down the physical manifestations of anger and disrespect to give to your husband. Don't write down anything that cannot be seen or heard.

(Oscar Wilde)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by CWMI
So he said no?

How about taking it to the private forums where Dr. Harley posts?

Did they ever answer your last email?

Right: he is not "enthusiastic" about posting.

And I thought we couldn't do those forums unless we buy the coaching program? (haven't even checked into it, but given that he didn't put forth effort during our $200/hr session with Steve, I don't really want to throw more $$ down a hole).

No, I haven't heard back from the Harleys. The radio is still playing re-runs so I'm just assuming they are out of town. They already give so much...I hope they are having a relaxing vacation or something - I wouldn't want them writing me if they're taking a break. smile

Elizabeth Bowen

C
C
It's ~1k for the online program, and gives you coaching for a year.

How many sessions did you have with Steve?

(Oscar Wilde)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I think KT means a written list. Didn't you already have him sign one? Does he have a copy?

Yes. frown

It's so easy to get lost in all this stuff - to think that somehow I haven't communicated clearly when in fact I have. He has chosen not to listen/understand/whatever. And I have chosen to let myself believe that I just need to communicate it "one more time."

I am feeling "stupider" by the minute.

Elizabeth Bowen

S
S
And I thought we couldn't do those forums unless we buy the coaching program?
That's right.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
It's ~1k for the online program, and gives you coaching for a year.

How many sessions did you have with Steve?

15 sessions - $3K and nothing to show for it (except clarity for myself, which I suppose is "priceless")

Elizabeth Bowen

C
C
like I said, 'respect' and 'safety' are vague terms, so perhaps your communication isn't as clear as it could be? You never put your agreement here, but if you did post some of these things, we could help you clear them up. Markos used to post conversations, and comments from the board helped him see where he was taking them off-track.

(Oscar Wilde)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
like I said, 'respect' and 'safety' are vague terms, so perhaps your communication isn't as clear as it could be? You never put your agreement here, but if you did post some of these things, we could help you clear them up. Markos used to post conversations, and comments from the board helped him see where he was taking them off-track.

The agreement was very clear.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
One paragraph of the agreement we both signed:

Intimidate the other by, for example: yelling at the other, raging at the other, getting up close in the other person�s face, shaking a finger at the other, pounding on a table or chair, blocking the other from leaving a room.

Threaten the other by saying, for example: �If you do�I�ll do��

Demonstrate violence by, for example: throwing things, hitting things, breaking things, pour water on the other, slam doors

Be violent by, for example: restraining, grabbing, shoving, hitting the other, throwing things at or near the other, slamming things down

(The above includes treatment of the children)

And the Do's:

Both persons agree to:

Be bonded together against the problem of abuse

Look at the other while the other is speaking

Ask engaging questions, for example: �How are you feeling?�

Respond to the other with understanding, empathy, and kindness

Excuse themselves if they can�t talk at the moment

Repeat a statement when asked because the other did not hear

Share decisions about, and control of joint assets

Ask for what he or she wants

Tell the other what he or she doesn�t want

Abide by this Agreement, not only regarding each other, but also with regard to the children.

Elizabeth Bowen

C
C
Would you say that you have abided by this agreement since it was written?

(Oscar Wilde)
Page 41 of 46 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 462 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation