Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
B
Originally Posted by mrEureka
My wife tells me that she plans to start posting again. She had to start a new login as mrsEureka because she doesn't remember how to go back to her old one. Actually, I like the symbolism - it's appropriate to how much we have changed since last year.
Good and welcome mrsEureka.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Hello Everyone,

After over a year, I'm just posting a quick follow-up. My husband (mr. eureka) has posted a lot of what has happened to us.

Even after a year, we still talk about some aspect of the affair probably every day. It has taken me until just recently to feel that I have healed and my husband still has a long way to go before he can truly feel safe again.

I learned so much this past year. It wasn't the path I would choose to grow, but learning just the same. My husband and I both miss the innocence we had before I had my affair. We were one of those couples who got along very well, and neither of us would have ever thought that we would fall victim to what happened to us. We had a strong marriage. We had to; being parents of a child with autism will either drive you together or apart, and we chose together.

I understand sexual harassment very well now. My affair partner was my supervisor, who had been flattering me for years with both compliments about my work performance and my appearance. He would not have been able to get away with so much crap had he not been my supervisor and I had to listen to him. When our affair was discovered, he told his supervisor it was a case of "two friends who fell in love" which was a lot of baloney.

Anyway, what I really wanted to post about was how long it takes for the fog to lift. For me, despite my relief at the affair being discovered and ended and the ceasing of all contact with my supervisor, I still felt guilt and shame plus a part of me missed the attention, as pathetic as that sounds. My husband thinks that I came out of the fog around January (DOD was June 1); I'd say even later because even though I wasn't thinking fond thoughts of my supervisor, I was still thinking about him and worrying that he might show up since I am still at the same location where the bulk of the affair took place. One of my former coworkers ran into him recently, and he told her some sob story about retiring from his job because with his ill health, he just couldn't handle it. Oddly enough, this outright lying was the clincher for me. He was actually quietly fired and removed from the company's roster.

Please me patient with your WS's fog. Keep loving your spouse like my husband loved me, and eventually your face will be the only one your spouse wants to see. It will be WORK like you've never had before to bring your marriage to a place of comfort and peace, but I can tell you, it is SO worth it!

mrs.eureka

M
M
Thank you for the update, Mrs. E. We are so happy to hear of how things are going for you guys, and I think you make some excellent points in your post about being patient.

It's been good to have your husband posting around here a bit, too. I hope you guys won't be strangers!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
self delete because maritalbliss already answered the question

Last edited by Man_learning; 08/18/12 09:54 AM. Reason: maritalbliss already answered the question
M
M
Originally Posted by MikeStillSmiling
The toughest part of recovery for me is following the rule "never talk about the affair".

Once you get the infomabout the affair you need and in my opinion there will always be unknowns, time to move on. And, having a remorseful wife meeting all your needs and maintaining a transparent life with you is really about as good as you can can it at this stage in your game.

You can read about plenty of people who have to work very hard to chase down spouses to break thru fog.

Can u explain what you mean by this?

M
M
May I ask how long term was the A?

Also do you know of any others on this forum who overcame VLTA by their wife?

Last edited by Man_learning; 08/18/12 10:27 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by Littlebit3
MrEureka. I have an idea..... I have read your thread, and am amazed at how wonderfully you and your wife have turned this around and saved your marriage. Forgiveness is a gift we give to others who are truly repentent and a gift we give ourselves so we can let it go. You have done beautifully, built a loving, strong marriage together. What I am sensing from your most recent posts is fear. Fear that she could somehow, someway, sometime possibly ever do something like this again. It hurt so badly the first time, that you never EVER want it to happen again. Fear is not from God. It is from the devil who does not want you to be happy in your marriage. You will NEVER figure it out. [b]It happened b/c needs weren't being met somewhere (ETA - and of course - poor boundaries around opposite sex.) [/b] You can make sure you are meeting each others EN's, POJA, spending time together, putting boundaries in place, doing all the things you are supposed to be doing. Let it go!! Every time you think about it, have a mantra that you tell yourself. For example, "We are NOW meeting eachother's emotional needs and have a stronger marriage than ever." The moving on, let it go posts from others don't tell you HOW to let it go and move on. I don't either, but I hope that you can somehow trust where you are now - trust yourself. You have saved your marriage, now enjoy it with out any fears or reservations. You can't fear or predict the future. You can just completely enjoy the gifts of love and the marriage you have now. You have the EP's in place. Now, LIVE in it!!! I think if you can do that, you will be able to relax a little and just LIVE.

What is ETA?

And since A can happen even in good marriages, is it accurate so suggest that each one involved or resulted from an unmet need?

My WW affair was with an old collage boyfriend with whom she had seen for a few months. She recently admitted that she was not unhappy with our marriage at the time it started. She said it started with a "curiosity kiss." Our marriage was not perfect at the time it occurred, but I was trying to meet her needs to the extent I understood them.

M
M
So you mean the HOW is answered for you by considering the addictive nature of affairs?

M
M
Originally Posted by mrs_eureka
Hello Everyone,

After over a year, I'm just posting a quick follow-up.

Anyway, what I really wanted to post about was how long it takes for the fog to lift. For me, despite my relief at the affair being discovered and ended and the ceasing of all contact with my supervisor, I still felt guilt and shame plus a part of me missed the attention, as pathetic as that sounds. My husband thinks that I came out of the fog around January (DOD was June 1); I'd say even later because even though I wasn't thinking fond thoughts of my supervisor, I was still thinking about him and worrying that he might show up since I am still at the same location where the bulk of the affair took place. ...

Please me patient with your WS's fog. Keep loving your spouse like my husband loved me, and eventually your face will be the only one your spouse wants to see. It will be WORK like you've never had before to bring your marriage to a place of comfort and peace, but I can tell you, it is SO worth it!

mrs.eureka

Thanks for these honest reflections, but they have me concerned. How long do WW really take to come out of a fog?

You think it took you more than 6 months and as I recall you never had sex with the OM. I am still learning.

Last edited by Man_learning; 08/18/12 10:34 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by armymama
What does Mrs E say about POS employee?

AM
She avoids him, and we have had many discussions about him. He is no threat to us as long as we maintain RH and transparency. But it is an incentive to me to stay alert, and both my wife and I are counting the days when she can leave that job.

I think you should visit regularly and wear your sidearm!! laugh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Mrs. Eureka,

As the A began and progressed did you rationalize or justify it in your mind by putting your H down in your mind? Did you in any way dwell on his faults to make what you were doing was fair or appropriate?

My understanding is that this is typical for WW to do. Am I correct in this?

S
S
Originally Posted by Man_learning
What is ETA?
"Edited to add".

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by Man_learning
And since A can happen even in good marriages, is it accurate so suggest that each one involved or resulted from an unmet need?

My WW affair was with an old collage boyfriend with whom she had seen for a few months. She recently admitted that she was not unhappy with our marriage at the time it started. She said it started with a "curiosity kiss." Our marriage was not perfect at the time it occurred, but I was trying to meet her needs to the extent I understood them.
My wife's affair occurred primarily because she did not close off her love bank and allowed someone other than me to make deposits. In both of her affairs, this other person was a direct supervisor. In the most recent affair, the supervisor deliberately went after my wife, and worked on her for years before she caved in. The "curiosity kiss" sounds very much like the same sort of situation. It wasn't that you were missing addressing her ENs so much as it was that she chose to let someone else make love unit deposits.

These issues are addressed in recovery by putting in place EPs that make the affair essentially impossible to repeat in the same way. In my wife's case, she can never again have a male for a supervisor. In your wife's case, connections to past boyfriends must be severed. This may mean no class reunions, no social media - nothing that would allow a male from her past to slip in there and deposit love units. You wife needs to be proactive in closing off her love bank to others. Your meeting her ENs will certainly help.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I think you should visit regularly and wear your sidearm!! laugh
Oh, I do visit regularly! But the rest of that suggestion will have to be relegated to fantasy. I have harbored lots of fantasies since DD. Tying OPs to anthills, dropping off bridges, throwing out of airplanes, etc. etc.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
B
B
How are things Mr. E?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
How are things Mr. E?
Everything has been going well. We have been very busy.

My wife received a job offer at a location within a 20 minute drive from our new house located in another state 500 miles from here. It is a perfect fit for our needs, so she will be accepting it. We have about a month to get ready to move. I need to complete the retirement procedures for my present employer, and then move down there as soon as I can. I will be working at establishing my own software business once I am there. There will be a mismatch in time of a month or two when my wife will be working down there and I will still be up here. This seems unavoidable. We are going to be seeing each other on weekends, and we are still trying to figure out other ways to minimize the separation. I will be busy finishing my job here and getting our house ready to sell in the meantime.

So, we will be moving to another state, but we will be spending about 20-40 nights apart to achieve that. This is a compromise that we are not happy about, but I can�t think of any other way to do it.

We are continuing to work the MB program. I have found it to be very important for me as a BS to learn how to give up the high ground when it comes to morality. I�m doing much better. My wife can now express indignation over the antics of politicians or whoever, and I no longer automatically think to myself �aren�t you being a bit hypocritical?�

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
M
M
We were on the radio show today, discussing the separation issue associated with our upcoming move.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
B
B
We were on the radio show today, discussing the separation issue associated with our upcoming move.
SO What did you think?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
SO What did you think?
I think one should always take advice seriously when one asks for it.

My wife and I haven't had a chance to discuss Dr. H's advice yet. We will do so this evening. We would both be very happy to zero out the separation. My opinion is that the Lord has brought us to this point, and He has a solution for us. Dr. H is an important voice in discovering that solution. The answer isn't at our fingertips just now.

After we got offline, Dr. H pronounced us fully recovered. smile I didn't hear that until listening to the rebroadcast.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
M
M
After we got offline, Dr. H pronounced us fully recovered. smile I didn't hear that until listening to the rebroadcast.

smile

I'm going to be looking forward to hearing this one. smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 370 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation