Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
OP Offline
Originally Posted by SunnyDinTX
Originally Posted by 20YearHistory
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Until recently, I had been struggling with the thought of celebrating the anniversary but I am embracing it now.
Nice! This is huge, and will create a great memory for both of you! I was hoping you would agree to the weekend.

Have a great dinner, go swimming in the hotel pool...buy some late-night snacks - have fun! (No heavy discussions.)

Thank you so much. We are both very excited for our big night out.

Everything is lined up, 4 star hotel,reservations at a fantastic restaurant, comedy club then plenty of time to just be together enjoying each other's company.

(Triggers = please stay away this weekend) I want this to be a special night.

This sounds absolutely awesome!

If triggers pop in your mind, just force them out. smile One trick I read on here that was helpful to me that I forgot to mention above is to picture a red stop sign in your mind if negative thoughts pop up. Sometimes that's all it takes to redirect your thinking.

I hope you both have a GREAT time.

On another note, I really did not mean to offend on the other thread where I commented to you. You're doing a good job here.

Thank you so much for the good wishes.

Great idea on the stop sign. I will definitely keep that one in mind. We are always looking for suggestions. Maybe someday I will be a vet on here with the answers.

Nah. No offense taken at all on the other thread. Thanks for saying that though. We all have good intentions around here.

After what I have been through my skin is as thick as an elephant!

M
M
Hi 20yrs,

Here's a thread which I found very helpful in my early recovery:

Managing memories and dealing with triggers

I hope clearmind will read it, too.

Me, FWW: 43
Mr_Recon6mo, FWH: 44
DD20 and DS23
3 cats
Married 23 years, together 24
Divorcing

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Mrs_Recon6mo
Hi 20yrs,

Here's a thread which I found very helpful in my early recovery:

Managing memories and dealing with triggers

I hope clearmind will read it, too.

Thank you. Good refresher. I have read this before.

Seems so easy on paper...Biggest lesson I learned on this is to try to short circuit my mind to stop that flood of emotions at the 2minute mark. Easier said than done.

I really understand why Dr. Harley says never bring up the A ever again. Feeling those old emotions suck.

M
M
I really understand why Dr. Harley says never bring up the A ever again. Feeling those old emotions suck.

The A is a giant distasteful meatball hanging over the marriage. As you protect yourself and her from another A, the meatball moves further away. If you bring it up in any fashion the meatball moves back over the marriage darkening the skies and making things lousy.

Eventually, Im hoping, the meatball disappears.

If you have a wife committed to your marriage and doing all the things you asked for, then YOU are the one keeping the meatball tethered to your home. Untie that sucker by not bring up the A.

Id like some spaghetti for dinner tonight.

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by MikeStillSmiling

The A is a giant distasteful meatball hanging over the marriage. As you protect yourself and her from another A, the meatball moves further away. If you bring it up in any fashion the meatball moves back over the marriage darkening the skies and making things lousy.

Eventually, Im hoping, the meatball disappears.

If you have a wife committed to your marriage and doing all the things you asked for, then YOU are the one keeping the meatball tethered to your home. Untie that sucker by not bring up the A.

Id like some spaghetti for dinner tonight.

No kidding. I do not want to be the one that prevents our R from being complete.

You just made me hungry.....

OP Offline
So, 15 years ago today I put a ring on my finger. It is still there and I plan on wearing it to my grave.

I am taking suggestions from all BS�s to help me coin a new phrase.

It is pretty lame but the best I have come up with is �Future-versary�

This day is to celebrate what is to come, not what has been.

I am sure Webster�s would love to add a new word to the dictionary! With all the bright minds on this forum, surly we can come up with a winner.

M
M
duh! wrong thread!! grin

Happy Anniversary 20years and clearmind!!

Last edited by MelodyLane; 08/23/12 09:33 AM.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
I love reading your story. You are showing such character, integrity, love and respect for your wife and marriage. It is really wonderful to experience your recovery and see your marriage blossom. I hope you and clearmind have a beautiful day. Thank you for sharing with us.

BS Me 47,WH 49
DS's x3 17, 10, 7
Multiple D-Days
No disclosure by WH. No EP's, no transparency, no guilt or remorse either.
Plan C DOES NOT WORK!
B
B
Happy "Future-Versary" anniversary. smile

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
S
Well...since we use "anti-versary" for the bad dates, how about "pro-verary" lol

Have a GREAT day!
smile

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

E
E
HAPPY "NEW-VERSARY"

S
S
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen
HAPPY "NEW-VERSARY"

I like this!!!!

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

OP Offline
Thanks, everyone for the nice wishes.

I like the New-Versary. Good one.

Was really touched by W's card last night. It was all hand written and entitled "the 15 things I love about you" (15th anniversary)

Inside the card, she listed the most beautiful things---the 15 things she admires and loves about me.

Personal and thoughtful. Couldn't have recieved a nicer gift.

I was really touched.

Getting geared up for the big weekend now!

M
M
smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
smile
Yes ditto! hurray

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
S
Double Ditto! LOL

Keep that card somewhere you can access it at will, 20. It could be one of those things that helps you when you trigger. smile

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)

P
P
Hey 20years. Did I tell you about the time my FWH came home from all day convention and told me how much the receptionist really loved his jacket?

I asked him what his response was and he said "thanks" but he conveyed it to me with a big happy smile.

I felt my heart sink. He thought he did the right thing by telling me. While I thought here we go again. FWH has no clue.

So I started to teach him how to appropriately respond and react to these types of situations. The better response would have been "Thank you. My lovely wife bought it for me and I will let her know how much you liked it." That sends out the message that he is happily married.

I had to help FWH become aware of the messages that he sends out to others. Sometimes just a few simple words make all the difference. He honestly didn't know.

It takes practice to get the boundaries tight. You can't control who will approach your wife...but you can help her build her fences. You are a team.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

OP Offline
Originally Posted by pokerface
Hey 20years. Did I tell you about the time my FWH came home from all day convention and told me how much the receptionist really loved his jacket?

I asked him what his response was and he said "thanks" but he conveyed it to me with a big happy smile.

I felt my heart sink. He thought he did the right thing by telling me. While I thought here we go again. FWH has no clue.

So I started to teach him how to appropriately respond and react to these types of situations. The better response would have been "Thank you. My lovely wife bought it for me and I will let her know how much you liked it." That sends out the message that he is happily married.

I had to help FWH become aware of the messages that he sends out to others. Sometimes just a few simple words make all the difference. He honestly didn't know.

It takes practice to get the boundaries tight. You can't control who will approach your wife...but you can help her build her fences. You are a team.

That must have made you feel awful. I know that feeling in the pit of my stomach too well.

I am realizing the further down the R road we go, the more things we need to discuss and shore up.

If you read what happened last Friday in clearmind's thread, my main concern is having confidence that she can effectively hold up boundaries and defend our M. You are right, I can�t control what others do but damn it�I can�t be around her every minute of every day to monitor her interactions with others and know if she is actually defending her personal and our marital boundaries.

This was not the first time this person has sent her a personal email either. I give my W credit as she did let me know right away that he emailed her but I was disappointed that her FIRST impulse wasn�t to fire an email back to him denouncing his personal email.

I however, immediately picked up the phone and called his a** and told him what was up. I wasn�t any too happy during the conversation and he got the message. W and I did talk about how to handle situations like this in the future and I think she will respond differently. If not, we have a real problem.

We BOTH hold responsibility to defend our boundaries and our M. Not asking her to do anything I am not willing to do as well.

Worse part about the incident is that it brought back all those terrible feelings of dday as this means and methods of emails were exactly how her A started.

P
P

Great job on calling the guy.

There will be many triggers...things still happen in my own situation.

I had the best results when i viewed things like this as an opportunity to help my FWH fix the weak spots in his boundaries.

It is a great feeling to work as a team to protect our marriage. It really brings us closer together.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

OP Offline
Originally Posted by pokerface
Great job on calling the guy.

Well, of all my shortcomings the one thing I don't lack is courage.

Thank you for the words of wisdom. They were helpful to both of us. I know what you mean about these experiences bringing you closer together. We have discussed this aspect as well.

No such thing as a bad moment to get closer. you know?

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 430 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation