Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
A
A
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Compatibility is CREATED, after all, so it is not necessary to have sex before marriage.

I never said it's necessary to have sex before marriage. I just said that you'll have a better idea of what to expect. I don't agree that compatibility is created, it's no different than introvert/extravert compatibility, indoor/outdoor type compatibility, spending habits compatibility, etc. You can always try to POJA things to make things better, but the basic compatibility (or lack thereof) is inherent.

Many women are NOT going to take their panties off for someone they are not married to. They wouldn't consider marrying someone who expected to get laid before marriage as a condition. Asking me to put out before marriage as a test to see if I am good enough in bed DOES NOT make me feel cherished or loved.

And those women should not have sex before marriage, absolutely.

AGG

A
A
Well, I'm a decent example of this, as I was 6 months pregnant when I got married. I got lucky though, in that sense. It could have been (and for many people, is!) a complete disaster. I am not religious and my opinion only comes from experience rather than any sort of biblical base.

It's an unfortunate truth though that many women (I can only speak from a female perspective) feel they MUST have sex with a man or he will not love or marry her. So, they do. And it usually ends in a world of hurt.

The same can work for men. My first boyfriend (19-21) was very religious (devout Mennonite) who was adamant about no sex before marriage. And we didn't, for 2 years. Then we broke up (b/c I was not religious, fair enough), and he had a new girlfriend right away (I suspect before we broke up but whatever...). Anyways, they slept together that week. And it was, according to his now-wife, the biggest mistake of his life. He felt awful that his bride was a virgin on their wedding day and he was not, for some trash. And she was sad too (this story was told to me by her, btw... remember we were kids when this happened!).

I suppose the moral of the story is to stick to your morals, whatever they be.

M
M
Originally Posted by AGoodGuy
[
I never said it's necessary to have sex before marriage. I just said that you'll have a better idea of what to expect. I don't agree that compatibility is created, it's no different than introvert/extravert compatibility, indoor/outdoor type compatibility, spending habits compatibility, etc. You can always try to POJA things to make things better, but the basic compatibility (or lack thereof) is inherent.

Of course compatibility is created. That is what the entire MB program is based upon. The POJA is intended to create compatibility.

That is why couples like Dr Harley and Mrs Harley, complete OPPOSITES can have happy, romantic marriages. Compatibility is NOT inherent, it is created. I am the complete polar opposite of my husband in every way and we are extremely compatible. BECAUSE OF Marriage Builders.

My H is an introvert. I am an extrovert. He is a compulsive saver, I am a compulsive spender. He likes to camp and ride and motorcycles. We do none of those things and have a happy, fulfilling marriage.

The whole purpose of the MB program is to CREATE compatibility.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
[

I never said it's necessary to have sex before marriage. I just said that you'll have a better idea of what to expect. I don't agree that compatibility is created, it's no different than introvert/extravert compatibility, indoor/outdoor type compatibility, spending habits compatibility, etc.

Harley talks often about how most couples ARE complete opposites. His parents had a wonderful marriage and his mother was a communist and his dad was a conservative. [puke sick I could never stomach that!]

What makes a happy, successful marriage is NOT being the same but a) being in love and b) have the skills to negotiate solutions that make both happy.

That being said, I don't think it would wise to marry someone who was completely different in their worldview. To me, I would not be willing to tolerate someone who was not of the same religion or political outlook. That would be too much to overcome.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Here is a really good article where he discusses what things can cause an incompatible lifestyle:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
I believe that any couple can create compatibility once they are married by simply following the Policy of Joint Agreement. But it is also true that every couple should know as many of their conflicts as possible prior to marriage to give themselves a head-start at resolving them. PREPARE can help you identify them for you. While your boyfriend used that information to decide against marrying the other woman, the people at PREPARE would be the first to tell you that their inventory is not designed to warn you against marriage. Instead, it is designed to identify conflicts and encourage you to resolve them in a way that would make your marriage fulfilling. Presumably, after completing the inventory, you and your friend would go to work trying to resolve the conflicts with the Policy of Joint Agreement.

While we are on the subject of compatibility, however, there are five criterion that I recommend to those who are looking for a marriage partner. The reason I have picked these five, which are usually not found in most tests of compatibility, is that incompatibility in any of these areas make the Policy of Joint Agreement particularly difficult to implement. As a psychologist, I save marriages by showing spouses how to change their behavior to create a fulfilling marriage. But the categories that I will share with you now are traits that even trained psychologists have great difficulty trying to change. And so when you date, look for compatibility in these areas.

1. Intelligence. You and he should be roughly equivalent in intelligence, within about 15 IQ points. Without having to take an IQ test, you can usually figure that out by comparing grades in school, although men are notorious underachievers in high school. College grades are a better measure of intelligence for both men and women. The quality of your conversation is another good indicator of compatible intelligence. Men who are stimulating to talk to are usually in your league intellectually. But if there is a large gap between you in IQ, both of you will tend to be bored by your conversation. The one with the highest IQ will find the conversation to be superficial, and the one with the lowest IQ won't be able to keep up. There is also a tendency of someone with a higher IQ to disrespect the judgments of the one with the lower IQ, and that's an absolute relationship killer. Respect is essential in marriage regardless of the quality of an opinion. If you both enjoy talking to each other for hours at a time, and you respect each other's ideas, you pass the test.

2. Energy. You should marry someone roughly equivalent to you in energy. If one of you lays around watching TV while the other scurries about and can't sit still, it's probably a bad match. The reason energy is an important determiner of compatibility is that so many of your lifestyle pre-dispositions will depend on your energy. Leisure time activities and sexual interest are particularly sensitive to the amount of energy you have. People high in energy enjoy activities that burn that energy, even after work, while those with low energy levels would find such activities to be exhausting. And regarding sex, the more energy a person has, the more sex he or she tends to need. Since leisure activities and sex are two of the best ways to deposit love units after marriage, incompatibility in these areas can make it very difficult for a couple to stay in love.

3. Social Interest. If one of you is socially outgoing and the other is an introvert, that difference can make the planning of social activities very difficult. The Policy of Joint Agreement dictates that you don't do anything unless you can both agree, and in marriages of extroverts to introverts, their area of mutual social comfort is very narrow. The extrovert will not be able to get to know as many people as he or she would like because the introvert hates meeting new people. And the introvert will be constantly challenged to tread into the terrifying waters of introductions. Yet, I am very much opposed to spouses going their separate ways after marriage (one goes to a party and the other stays home), so the social interest difference require very creative solutions to keep them together yet make their social lives happy for both of them.

4. Cultural Background. Culture determines a host of personal sensitivities. Take Christmas, for example. In the American culture, Christmas is usually a big deal for most people. But imagine growing up in a family where every year Christmas was celebrated with zeal, only to discover after marriage that you cannot celebrate Christmas at all. The Policy of Joint Agreement dictates that you don't do anything unless you can both enthusiastically agree and because the person you married comes from a family that finds Christmas offensive, you do not celebrate it. Even if your spouse were to give you permission to celebrate Christmas, his background will still make such a celebration very uncomfortable to him. From my perspective, The Policy of Joint Agreement would rule Christmas out until a way is found to celebrate it with mutual enthusiasm.

Cultural background does not only dictate sensitivities, but it also dictates certain skills in meeting emotional needs. In some cultures, outward displays of affection are discouraged, and yet you may need that from the person you married. To meet your emotional need, he must not only go against his cultural training, but he must learn to do something that he was never taught.

Sometimes when two people are in love, they feel they can overcome cultural barriers. But that's usually because their relationship has been rather brief. They have not yet had to wrestle with some of the conflicts that culture imposes on them. I counseled one couple who had fallen in love, yet one could only speak Spanish and the other could only speak English. Granted they could eventually learn each other's language, but with that would come a host of cultural differences that might be much more difficult to overcome. Time eventually proved to both of them that their relationship was not meant to be.

5. Values. Moral values usually dictate how we behave. The Policy of Joint Agreement and the Policy of Radical Honesty are moral values that I encourage all married couples to adopt because they create and sustain love. But even when these two important values are agreed to at the time of marriage, conflicts with other moral values can make the creation of a compatible lifestyle very difficult to achieve. Getting back to our Christmas example, it's a cultural difference that makes a spouse unskilled in knowing how to celebrate Christmas. But if you marry an Orthodox Jew, it's more than skill that will be a problem. He will probably be deeply offended by such a celebration. And that offense comes from his moral convictions, not just his cultural background. A discussion of values is always a good idea when on a date, because if you find your values to be very divergent, it will make it difficult for you to agree on a lifestyle that you enthusiastically share.

A question often asked in a compatibility test is "Would you be willing to give up your religion to please your spouse?" It's not really a fair question, because it usually doesn't come to that drastic measure. But the point is important, and I would rephrase the question a little differently. I would ask, "Do you have any beliefs that would prevent you from following the Policy of Joint Agreement?" That is actually more to the point. Is there some belief that is so important to you that you would be willing to let your spouse suffer rather that give it up? If so, you should be certain that your spouse shares the same belief.

The point in all of this is that wide differences in any of these five characteristics of people make it difficult, but not impossible, to create a compatible lifestyle.
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5068b_qa.html

Exposure 101

A
A
That being said, I don't think it would wise to marry someone who was completely different in their worldview. To me, I would not be willing to tolerate someone who was not of the same religion or political outlook. That would be too much to overcome.

And that's the crux of it - there are some things that folks don't want to have to overcome in a marriage, nor should they have to. To you it may be politics or religion, to someone else it may be finances or energy level, and to someone else it may be bedroom compatibility.

I dated women that I was not compatible with, because they slept till noon while I got up at 6, or had numerous bankruptcies while I manage my finances well, etc. Sure, I could have POJA'd with each one of them to try to minimize the effects of the incompatibility, but the result would not have been as good as when you don't have to negotiate and compromise on the basics. I don't think Harley would disagree with that, or would say that you can pick a random person out of a crowd and as long as they were willing to use MB tools, they'd be the right match for you - that would sound like one of these mass weddings that Sun Myung Moon was famous for - "grab a partner as you enter the stadium and be happy ever after"...

Anyway, my original point was that in the radio segment that was posted, the Harleys specifically said that the huge issue would not have been discovered had the couple not had sex, so I don't quite see why that was a detriment to them...

AGG

K
K
I haven't had a chance to listen to the radio clip, but I will. From one of AGG's earlier posts on this thread, it appears that Dr. Harley states that he is against premarital sex but doesn't offer a reason for his position. I've heard or read that he is of the Christian faith, so maybe his position is based on biblical teaching. If so, that's an acceptable position, but I'm wondering if he has reasons against it similar to the reasons he offers for not living together prior to marriage in, Living Together Before Marriage: Compatibility Test or Curse?. In that article, he writes:

My own experience counseling cohabiting couples and research conducted by social scientists both point to the same frightening conclusion -- living together before marriage tends to doom a romantic relationship.
Does anyone know whether he's written about research or counseling experience with couples not living together but having sex before marriage?

M
M
Originally Posted by lamby
Hi everyone! I have not been on here for a long time. Several years ago, I went through a divorce and received some wonderful advice through this website, so thank you to all of you who helped me through that situation.

Now, I think about dating from time to time and have gone out a few times, but I find that I am too old-fashioned for this dating era. I still do not beleive in sex before marriage. I know, I'm alone in this... I receive very few matched on sites like Match.com... although this is the site that I found to be the most productive for finding dates. I wonder, though what your thoughts are on the subject of extra-marital sex for those of us who are single-again. Also, how do you justify your position on the subject? I could not go against my conscious, since the Bible teaches us that going against our conscious is an offense to our soul and to God. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Here is a radio clip from Dr. Harley talking about premarital sex:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=940

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I see another clip has been posted in this thread, but it's not the same one I just posted.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I don't agree that compatibility is created,

Okay, maybe we should all have a list of the things we disagree with Dr. Harley on, posted in our signature.

I disagree with Dr. Harley on a few things, but I typically don't post my contrary opinions on his site.

K
K
Thanks Markos! I will listen to that later after work, along with the link from BrainHurts.

(BTW, I just watched the Hunger Games a couple nights ago with my son. Now I know where Panem is! When did you move from Ruritania? Sorry for the tj, Lamby)

M
M
Originally Posted by KeepLearning
Hi Lamby, thanks for bringing this topic up; I too have been wondering about this. Does anyone know what Dr. Harley's position on sex before marriage is? Any radio broadcast links on this? (hint, hint, BrainHurts are you there? smile ) I haven't found anything on this website or in any of his books that specifically addresses this topic.

Meeting emotional needs is an important part of his philosophy, and his case for dating 30 people before deciding to get married is that it gives you an opportunity to see what your needs are and what needs you're good at meeting.

In his book "I Promise You," he talks about the time leading up to marriage as a time for a couple to make sure that they enjoy meeting each other's needs. He doesn't explicity exclude the need for Sexual Fulfillment, but he doesn't specifically include it either. He seems to leave it up to each individual couple to decide based on their own moral views, or biblical principles, or anything else that guides them in this area.

I have mixed feelings about this topic, and I've been wondering if there's any direct reference to it by Dr. Harley that anyone's aware of. I would like to know his opinion about this. Thanks!

KL, definitely check out the clip I just posted.

I wondered about Dr. Harley's position on that for a long time, too, which is why when I first heard that clip I made note of the date and segment so I could refer to it later. smile

Every so often Dr. Harley mentions that he and Joyce used to run a dating service. I'm not sure exactly when that was (Dr. Harley "retired" from in-clinic counseling in 1993 and started this website about that time, but I have few chronology points other than that). Mainly what they did in the service was coach men and women to become skilled at meeting typical emotional needs, i.e., how to become attractive to the opposite sex. They were very successful in that lots of their customers got married, though usually they didn't marry someone else who was using the service.

Dr. Harley typically focused on teaching a man to meet the needs of conversation, affection, and financial support. i.e., he'd give a man vocational counseling. While Joyce focused on teaching women to meet the needs of recreational companionship and attractiveness. Joyce did NOT coach these women to go out and get men to fall in love with them using sex.

And according to Dr. Harley in the link I posted, the truth is a woman doesn't really get a man to fall in love with her with sex. The need to focus on is actually surprising, if you look at HIS Needs and HER Needs.

M
M
Originally Posted by KeepLearning
(BTW, I just watched the Hunger Games a couple nights ago with my son. Now I know where Panem is! When did you move from Ruritania? Sorry for the tj, Lamby)

lol, couple weeks ago I read through the books when Prisca asked me to, as she was excited for us to get to discuss them together. You'll notice my posting rate dropped way off.

M
M
Dr. Harley is big on the advice for singles to date at least 30 people before they get married.

I would imagine that he would advise that a woman who can't seem to find men who don't respect their sexual morals to step up their search! He advises personal ads, singles sites, Facebook, getting involved in community organizations, and basically any approach possible to finding people and dating FREQUENTLY.

One lady Dr. Harley worked with placed a personal ad and met something like 30 men in a coffee shop (same shop every time) before finally finding someone worth going out with twice, who she later married. smile It's been awhile since I heard the story, so I may have the details a little wrong.

Why not place ads in various places and stipulate in the ad that you are NOT interested in men who want to have sex outside of marriage and stating that you will DUMP any man who suggests it immediately. Then, DO it! If someone still answers your ad and suggests sex, just "plonk" them into the wastebasket and move on to the next guy.

A
A
Originally Posted by markos
Okay, maybe we should all have a list of the things we disagree with Dr. Harley on, posted in our signature.

I disagree with Dr. Harley on a few things, but I typically don't post my contrary opinions on his site.

As quoted above, Harley states that wide differences in certain areas can make it difficult to create a compatible lifestyle. That is exactly my point too, so I don't see a disagreement, other than the semantics between "compatibility" and "compatible lifestyle":

The point in all of this is that wide differences in any of these five characteristics of people make it difficult, but not impossible, to create a compatible lifestyle.

When I was dating, I was trying to avoid those women with whom I foresaw difficulties in creating a compatible lifestyle. But of course everyone is free to date and marry whomever they want...:)

AGG

M
M
Originally Posted by lamby
I agree that resistance is the best policy.

Go one step past resistance: avoidance.

M
M

As quoted above, Harley states that wide differences in certain areas can make it difficult to create a compatible lifestyle. That is exactly my point too, so I don't see a disagreement, other than the semantics between "compatibility" and "compatible lifestyle":

The difference is that sex is not one of the things Dr. Harley lists as making it more difficult (not impossible) to build a compatible lifestyle. According to Dr. Harley the sexual compatibility can absolutely be achieved if the rest of the relationship is right and the other 10% issues are addressed, so there's no need (in Dr. Harley's paradigm) to explore sexual "compatibility" before marriage.

M
M
[

The difference is that sex is not one of the things Dr. Harley lists as making it more difficult (not impossible) to build a compatible lifestyle. According to Dr. Harley the sexual compatibility can absolutely be achieved if the rest of the relationship is right and the other 10% issues are addressed, so there's no need (in Dr. Harley's paradigm) to explore sexual "compatibility" before marriage.

Agree with this. Sexual compatibility is created and it can just as easily be created when married as when not married. It is not in the same category as religion. No one needs to have sex before marriage for that reason.

Exposure 101

A
A
Agree with this. Sexual compatibility is created and it can just as easily be created when married as when not married.

I don't agree with this. Harley clearly says that sexual incompatibility makes it extremely difficult for a couple to stay in love:

And regarding sex, the more energy a person has, the more sex he or she tends to need. Since leisure activities and sex are two of the best ways to deposit love units after marriage, incompatibility in these areas can make it very difficult for a couple to stay in love.

As he says, sexual incompatibility can be a death blow to a marriage, and I don't see anything to say that this can be overcome with POJA... Now, for the third time, if someone has moral objections to premarital sex, then by all means don't do it. And let's not get back to equating premarital sex with wh*ring, that is just silly.

AGG

M
M
[

As he says, sexual incompatibility can be a death blow to a marriage, and I don't see anything to say that this can be overcome with POJA...

He says that energy levels can cause incompatibility but one doesn't have to have sex to discern one's energy level. So that quote doesn't support your point. Not to mention that Dr Harley in no place recommends or advocates having sex before marriage. If one had to had sex to determine sexual compatibility, he would have said that. Please note he didn't say that because its not true.

In fact, he states over and again that compatibility in SF is contingent on a good relationship.

As he says, sexual incompatibility can be a death blow to a marriage,

He fixes this problem all the time. There are hundreds of cases where he has created compatibility. His program creates compatibility.
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"First I fix the relationship, and nine times out of ten, sexual problems disappear, with or without unresolved childhood experiences. I spend very little time fixing sexual problems these days because most couples I counsel don't have sexual problems after they have learned to follow the Policy of Joint Agreement. "

Now, for the third time, if someone has moral objections to premarital sex, then by all means don't do it. And let's not get back to equating premarital sex with wh*ring, that is just silly.

You are right, I should have said UNPAID wh*re. Silly me. grin Asking a woman to put out for free in order to judge her performance in the hay is treating her like an unpaid wh*re. That would be a knockout factor for many women. Sorry, I am from Texas where we don't gloss things over.

Exposure 101

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 481 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation