Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 44 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 43 44
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Originally Posted by Gamma
Did your BH ever get OM to tell him the story to get a different perspective on the events of the affair?
Gamma, I feel that at this point you are allowing your personal needs to colour the advice that you are giving other people, and this goes against Dr Harley's advice.

Dr Harley does encourage the WS to give the facts about the affair to the BS. The BS needs to know who OP is so he or she can be avoided, and also things like how long the affair lasted and whether they went away together, or had sex in the marital home, or met each other's children.

He specifically discourages the BS from probing the WS about feelings and reasons. He does encourage the discussion of unmet emotional needs that made the affair attractive, but he does not want the WS to tell the BS about the intensity of the sexual feelings or the sexual positions, or to compare those to the feelings that were felt for the BS. He does not want the WS to probe over and over for reasons. The BS does need to know about circumstances, such as the affair taking place during overnight travel, or during working hours in hotels, but Dr Harley is very much against exploring the detailed intricacies of physical and emotional feelings, as you often encourage in your posts.

For one thing, there can never be a reason that makes any sense. The BS will possible never be satisfied with any reasons given, because, whatever those reasons were, the WS always had an alternative to having an affair, and often did not talk to the BS about any unhappiness he or she felt. An affair will rarely make sense as an answer to any marital problem, to the BS who was in the same marriage and never had one.

As fifteen says, she cannot explain how she was able to have a happy marriage and be in love with her H, and still compartmentalise enough to have an affair. And how do you suppose she could ever explain her feelings during the affair in a way that will make her H feel satisfied with the answer? What can a WS ever say about how indifferent they were to the BSs feelings, that will make a BS feel that this or that particular answer is acceptable?

Digging deeper into the WS's feelings is unlikely to ever reach a satisfactory conclusion or make the BS feel at peace. What it is very likely to do, though, is keep the affair centre stage in the marriage and make the present as unpleasant as possible.

You bring your own obsessions to bear when advising a WW, especially. I think that your own problems in your marriage are that first, you treat your wife's pre-marital infidelities as on a par with her post-marital ones, and even though you knew about at least one of her infidelities before you married, you refuse to let those go, and second, she won't tell you anything about the post-marital infidelities.

That is different from fifteen's position on the past affairs. She isn't withholding the facts from her H. Fifteen's H's problem might well be that she has never changed job and this makes him feel unsafe, and he refuses to consider her leaving the job. But fifteen has talked about her past affairs, and talking about them has brought nothing but further misery for him. Please stop encouraging her to go on with this.

Sugar,

thank you! That was extremely insightful and yes I agree. I have disclosed everything within the limits of the stuff that is just too painful (a lot of the examples you gave above). The answers he wants now are ones that I cannot give.

I was listening to Dr. H the other day and his advise to a BS was that he had to let the affair go because bringing it up was not doing anything for recovery. The H was convinced that bringing it up was helping him but Dr. H explained that if it was, then why did he have to keep bringing it up. I believe my H is in this same place right now.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
I don't want to just survive my affair, I want to recover from it!
Gamma #2661785 09/05/12 02:01 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Gamma
15Y,

He also CANNOT stop bringing up the A. He keeps going over and over in circles wanting me to give him answers that I don't have.

I cannot explain why I did it because there will never be a reason that justifies why? I am sickened by my weakness and actions. I think about it every day and it infuriates me, just as it does him. He keeps throwing Affair punches at me though and I don't know how much longer either of us can take it!

Is it that you cannot or do not want to go back in time and remember your reasons because you think they will hurt your BH too much if you are honest?

It's irrelevant. If he wants to recover, this is a rule he has to follow. She shouldn't be put in this position.

If he's still doing it, it's because he's using resentment as a tool to manipulate his wife. Dr. Harley has a whole article about this.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by pokerface
Originally Posted by fifteenyears
I believe he went to his parents house. I checked his phone records and there were a lot of calls to his mom, dad, and brother. This however is not the best of news since none of them support us and they pretty much disowned me frown

15years. His family is a huge part of your problem. I'm pretty sure that I would have never recovered if I ran to toxic support every time I triggered.

I agree with everyone that you would benefit from the coaching center when DH returns home. They are experts at getting reluctant spouses on board...and being on board is how he will recover himself and your marriage.

Otherwise, his anger will follow him through life.

I know this but I don't know how to get him on board without him shutting down or thinking that am being pushy. When he is pushed too hard he shuts down and it is very difficult to pull him back up. I can always suggest it but am thinking that I should wait a couple of days. Last night just seemed so final...like his mind was made up.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by HDW
I think you need to have a consult with steve Harley ASAP

I want to so bad but money wise it just can't happen right now. I thought about seeing if my H would call him.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
J
J
NO. You CAN find a way to pay for the consult.
This is YOUR marriage.
Divorce is much more expensive and that is where you are heading.

Get the money and schedule it ASAP.

N
N
There are still some areas I believe you need to address in yourself. I still think that a large bulk of this problem may be continuing contact with an OP. And if that's the case, you can fix everything and then some, and it won't be enough.

I'd be delighted to be wrong...this just feels off to me.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2661821 09/05/12 03:42 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by Neak
There are still some areas I believe you need to address in yourself. I still think that a large bulk of this problem may be continuing contact with an OP. And if that's the case, you can fix everything and then some, and it won't be enough.

I agree. Please up your snooping.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Originally Posted by Neak

I agree. Please up your snooping.

He has done a pretty good job of being transparent. I check his phone records and cell phone regularly but there are so many ways you can be sneaky if you want. I actually did ask him last night...I know that does not do anything for a WW. I just don't feel that he is because he is pointing the finger so directly in my face but I am not too naive to believe that there isn't a possibility. I will keep snooping ande HDW I will find a way to get the money!!!!

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
S
S
Has he come home yet? Where does he say he went?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
F
OP Offline
F
I have not seen him but my son did because he stayed home sick today. Wednesday just happen to be the day that I do not see him until the evening.

He works until 2-3 at the golf course then actually plays in a league there (something that we POJAd, I actually work up there too in the summer.

My son said that he came home and got his golf clothes and said he would see him later.

I did text him earlier today and asked if he was still willing to talk to me...he said yes.

I then told him that I was so sorry that I put us in the position that we are in and I know that

Last edited by fifteenyears; 09/05/12 05:25 PM.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
F
OP Offline
F
Sorry my computer is acting up.

I said that I know that saying it a billion times will not take back anything but I needed to say it.

That was the last time we talked.

We are both working together at the golf course tomorrow night. So no matter what he will have to see me then wink

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
S
S
So you don't know if he is coming home tonight, and you don't know where he has been?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
F
OP Offline
F
He spent the night last night at his parents house. He worked today at from 6:30 am to 2:30. He came home at 3 and got golf clothes. I called up to the golf course (my mom works on Wednesdays) to make sure he was there...he was. The only thing I don't know...if he is coming home tonight. Should I ask? Why does this scare me to death??

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
S
S
You said this earlier today:

I believe he went to his parents house. I checked his phone records and there were a lot of calls to his mom, dad, and brother. This however is not the best of news since none of them support us and they pretty much disowned me frown
You believe he went there. Do you know for a fact that he did?

If he was there, why were there lots of calls to their house? If he is in their house he doesn't need to speak to them by phone - unless it's a jolly big house!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
I was listening to Dr. H the other day and his advise to a BS was that he had to let the affair go because bringing it up was not doing anything for recovery. The H was convinced that bringing it up was helping him but Dr. H explained that if it was, then why did he have to keep bringing it up. I believe my H is in this same place right now.
And I believe you are right. Dr. H has spoken about this many times. What your H is doing is an enemy of good conversation and is intended to demean and hurt you. I think his goal is to cause you pain in equal measure to the pain you caused him. Here's the problem with that: it doesn't work. It doesn't relieve HIS pain and only serves to drive a wedge between the two of you. He needs to learn that this exercise is not a solution, and will really only cause HIM prolonged pain.

Here's a quote from one of Dr. H's articles that I was reminded of while reading your posts:

I'm convinced that what's kept the resentment of S.R.'s husband alive for so many years is that he has found it to be an effective way to control and punish her whenever she doesn't do what he wants. Whenever they have a fight, he brings it up, and it causes her such guilt that it gives him a decided advantage in winning the argument.

By this time, I don't believe that her affair is the problem that she thinks it is. Instead, it is an issue that her husband is using to get the upper hand in his relationship with her.
The whole article is here. Pay close attention to Dr. Harley's suggestion to this FWW whose husband was wallowing in his resentment and sabotaging their recovery, like I believe your H is doing.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
15Y,

Please read the article that maritalbliss has posted, as well as every word of her post. She is giving you good advice.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2661892 09/05/12 07:12 PM
F
OP Offline
F
MB and Marcos,

I have read this article before and just reread it and it fits my situation perfectly. He does have this control over me and I think he knows it. But the A is so raw that I feel that I have no justification in fighting back right now. When he brought it up last night I did shut it down rather quickly but he did exactly whas he intended to do, hurt me.

I also feel that the leaving and threatening to end us is another way he has control over me. Again, one part of me stays, enough! That I have and will continue proving myself but cannot and don't want to wallow in the past anymore. Another part of me says that is selfish and after everything I have done, do I even have the right to ask for anything? I am so conflicted!!!

MB,

To answer your question about last night right after he left there was a phone call to his mom and then a return call from her. All of these calls happened in a matter of five minutes. There is also a 13 minute conversation between my H and his brother. I am assuming (and only assuming) that he either stayed at his parents or brothers house. Again, I have no solid evidence of this and did not verify because I was so mentally exausted by the bomb that the dropped on me last night.

My question now is, should I call him and see if he is coming home tonight?

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
F
OP Offline
F
I literally cut and pasted the words that the the wife said to SK. I just hope I have the guts to say them and face the results of using them. Is nine months too soon?

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
M
M
MB and Marcos,

I have read this article before and just reread it and it fits my situation perfectly. He does have this control over me and I think he knows it. But the A is so raw that I feel that I have no justification in fighting back right now.

Okay, we have a choice here.

We could spend the next few hours, days, or months debating you on this.

Or, we could just point out that if you follow Dr. Harley's advice in that article, there's still a chance to recover your marriage, but if you choose not to follow his advice, you're throwing away your chance.

My suggestion: try Dr. Harley's expert advice, even if you don't think you have a right to do it. Trust this plan, because it works.

S
S
To answer your question about last night right after he left there was a phone call to his mom and then a return call from her. All of these calls happened in a matter of five minutes. There is also a 13 minute conversation between my H and his brother. I am assuming (and only assuming) that he either stayed at his parents or brothers house. Again, I have no solid evidence of this and did not verify because I was so mentally exausted by the bomb that the dropped on me last night.

My question now is, should I call him and see if he is coming home tonight?
I think you are assuming a great deal too much.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't call him to ask whether he'll be home tonight. I don't see your calling him or not calling him as an issue.

Is it out of the question for you to call his parents and ask if he stayed there last night? (I remember that they do not accept you at the moment.)

I don't suppose you have GPS on his phone?

If he doesn't come home tonight, you need to get round to his parents house in the middle of the night or when he is due to leave for work in the morning and spy on him.

If he is staying with his parents, that doesn't mean he isn't in touch with his affair partner. You must get to the bottom of this.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
Page 24 of 44 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 43 44

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 450 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation