Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
M
M
Originally Posted by AGoodGuy
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
You forfeited that right when you said "morality is in the eye of the beholder."

Huh? Where exactly did I say that, or did you make that up?

AGG

Read your own posts..

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
A
You forfeited that right when you said "morality is in the eye of the beholder."

AGG

Read your own posts..

Touche, LMAO smile. That's what I get when I drink and post sick.

AGG

M
M
you have just told us every person gets to choose their own morals.

I actually think that this is pretty close to my beliefs, you are correct.

I think that what I said is fairly simple English, I am not sure why it's causing so much comprehension trouble: One person's morals may not be another person's morals, pure and simple.

I thought my examples of how different cultures have different sense of what is "universal" morality were simple enough, but apparently not. I get the impression that some folks here believe that only their morality is the universal set of principles, and that is their right.
AGG

Ok... but you just contradicted yourself again. This is not logically consistent. Do you not see how this worldview is inconsistent and self refuting? You outright reject the concept of universal morals, but then go onto say that all morals have value. crazy

That does not make any sense.

Originally Posted by AGG
One person's morals may not be another person's morals, pure and simple.

But you just said you do not accept the concept of universal morals so this "moral" is not universal. It only applies to you. it wouldn't apply to others. Wouldn't you agree?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

AGG

Read your own posts..

Touche, LMAO smile. That's what I get when I drink and post sick.

AGG

Were you PUI?? You bad boy! grin

Exposure 101

J
Administrator
Administrator
J
AGG,

Do we need it install a "Blow N' Go" on your computer??

grin

JustUss

Administrator/Moderator
B
B
Originally Posted by JustUss
AGG,

grin
laugh

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
lamby Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I don't want to derail the original thread, so lamby please tell us if you want us to start a separate thread on this...

Please!!!! Keep talking! This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for from everyone! Loving the convo!

lamby

Me...44yr old F; Divorced Feb. 2008
2 boys, 15 and 13
3 girls, 7,9,and 11
L
lamby Offline OP
OP Offline
L
By the way, looking at your signature, I saw three (five) great reasons to stick to your principles:

Quote:2 boys, 15 and 13
3 girls, 7,9,and 11

Yup... exactly why I'm moving slow on this. I once told a man that I wouldn't sleep with him because I have alot of little eyes watching my every move. I didn't stay with him (obviously)... He wanted us to nap together with my girls watching tv in the other room. I left.

lamby

2 boys, 15 and 13
3 girls, 7,9,and 11
L
lamby Offline OP
OP Offline
L
As far as premarital sex goes, what folks do is their own business. I don't care one way or the other. I have my perspective about it and others have theirs.

My only objection on this thread is the assertion that one has to have sex before marriage to determine compatibility. That is simply not true. Many people choose to wait until marriage and there are no reason not to.

Well stated, ML! I have to agree on this one.

lamby

2 boys, 15 and 13
3 girls, 7,9,and 11
L
lamby Offline OP
OP Offline
L
This is why I soundly reject the notion of "morality is in the eye of the beholder." A moral relativist rejects the presence of any such universal standard.

While personally, I must agree with you, I cannot agree with you outside of myself. I cannot apply my own morality to others. Even God himself leaves morality up to each individual. Therefore, morality really is in the eye of the beholder. That is why God introduced grace. We needed it since our moral thermometers are off a bit sometimes crazy

lamby

2 boys, 15 and 13
3 girls, 7,9,and 11
I
I
Originally Posted by lamby
As far as premarital sex goes, what folks do is their own business. I don't care one way or the other. I have my perspective about it and others have theirs.

My only objection on this thread is the assertion that one has to have sex before marriage to determine compatibility. That is simply not true. Many people choose to wait until marriage and there are no reason not to.

Well stated, ML! I have to agree on this one.

I agree too, in fact Dr Harley, seems to go further and says it INTERFERES with determining overall compatability. (not that I have read him say this anywhere, I am going by what other posters say)

If, as posters say here, he has told women on the radio that the emotions connected with sex are overclouding their judgement, it's more likely you will end up in an incompatible relationship, rather than a compatible one by having sex while still making your decision about a person.

I think we all know that sex quickly vanishes when a relationship starts to go pear-shaped, so if the overall compatibility is not right, then the good sex found initially, won't last.

Dr Harley says the way to determine optimal sexual compatibility is to choose someone with a similar energy level. The rest can be sorted out with POJA and EN meeting after marriage. Points other posters have made about possible hidden sexual problems like impotence can be addressed using radical honesty.

I've put this together using a lot of guesswork and third-hand info from the discussion here, but I hope it is the sort of MB rationale that the OP was looking for.

Dr Harley doesnt appear to have come out and lambasted premarital sex in the same way he has said living together before marriage is a disaster, but from the way he has mentioned problems with women being pressured to have sex, and not making smart decisions due to sex, it would appear that he considers posters with the OP's attitude to have a clear headed advantage in choosing a life partner. It will be a decision uncomplicated by sex.

Plus one of the five key tests for compatibility is having the same values. Since the OP is not just looking for pragamtaic arguments as to why it is a bad idea, she is offended on a deep level by the concept of premarital sex. So anyone who wants her to do that is likely to have very different values and they would butt heads for life if they were to pair up in marriage.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
This is why I soundly reject the notion of "morality is in the eye of the beholder." A moral relativist rejects the presence of any such universal standard.

While personally, I must agree with you, I cannot agree with you outside of myself. I cannot apply my own morality to others. Even God himself leaves morality up to each individual. Therefore, morality really is in the eye of the beholder. That is why God introduced grace. We needed it since our moral thermometers are off a bit sometimes crazy

Yes, God does leave it up to each one of us to follow moral absolutes, but that does not mean each person gets to make up their own morality. Murder is immoral regardless of who agrees. Each person does not get to make up their own morals. They only get to decide what they choose to follow. Doesn't mean that wrong becomes right!

Exposure 101

K
K
Murder is immoral regardless of who agrees.
Depends on what your definition of murder is. Was Osama Bin Laden murdered? Was his killing immoral?

A lot of people in the Western world would say his killing was not immoral. But if you ask his family members and religious allies, I bet they would say he was murdered and it was immoral.

Doesn't mean that wrong becomes right!
Who gets to define what is right and what is wrong?

J
J
KL.
You should really go meet the dotnetdave thread guy.
All right and wrong is defined by cultural and religious standards. It always has been.

A
A
Originally Posted by JustUss
AGG,

grin

Afraid so wink...

A
A
I cannot apply my own morality to others.

And that is exactly my position too lamby.

As KL predicted, there will be no agreeing on this topic. Philosophers have argued about this for millennia, so it�s no surprise that we will not manage to resolve it here.

I�m a live and let live kinda guy, and that is my message here � live by the standards you believe in, but don�t try to impose your standards on others who may have different standards.

I don�t agree with the �absolute and universal morality� concept that is promoted by some here. What may seem as absolutely or universally moral or immoral here today, was and is considered totally the opposite in other times and other places. It would be pretty narrow minded to expect that our little zone of absolute �truth� applies to everyone else.

Some thoughts:

Is it moral to own slaves?

Is it moral to buy goods made by people working in slave-like conditions?

Is it moral to not allow women to vote?

Is it moral to not allow women to drive?

Is it moral to not allow a black kid to go to school with white kids?

Is it moral to drink?

Is it moral to speed?

Is prostitution moral?

I suspect that as we keep asking more and more such questions, we'll find out that every single one of us will have some different answers on what is moral and what is not - and that is my point. If things were black and white and �universal�, we would have never had any debates on what is moral and what is not, but that has never been the case and I suspect never will be.

Ok, I need to go tile a bathroom floor laugh.

AGG

A
A
Each person does not get to make up their own morals. They only get to decide what they choose to follow.

But whose morality must each person follow, if not their own? The Bible? The Koran? Do we not have countless subdivisions within each religion that offer different views of what is moral and what is not? How is that universal? And what about those poor suckers who do not subscribe to organized religion, are they by definition immoral?

AGG

J
J
as for sexual compatibility, There is a questionaire in SAA book that could be completed with complete honesty to determine if there were major issues

A
A
I am not religious and do not care to get into that discussion.

As to the ORIGINAL discussion, here is one reason why no sex before marriage ('buying') is a good idea (at least from my female perspective).

Dr. Harley suggests dating 30 people before picking your marriage partner. Many people date far less than that, and often cling to poor partners, especially women, due to emotional attachment resulting from sex.

My first boyfriend of 2 years (no sex due to his religion), was much easier to "get over" than a guy I had a crush on and slept with ONCE. That sounds ridiculous, but that is how many women (particularly younger ones looking for a first husband) think. We get so emotionally attached through sex.

A lot of people are horrified that Dr. Harley recommends having 30 sex partners (!!!) because they don't realize that one can date without sexual contact! And when you do, and you actually stick to that, you can see that it really is about finding a compatible partner and it's not such a bizarre thing.

Last edited by alis; 09/07/12 11:17 AM.
J
J
alis, its not just women.
I had sex with my ex wife and married her (even though I secretly didnt want to) because she became pregnant.

So sex can have consequences for both men and women; and I dont think it benefits either sex prior to marriage

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 905 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation