Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
OP Offline
S
Yes, you are right. I am very critical and hard... even on myself. This is one of his complaints. I tried to change the way I expressed myself... you know, the whole using "I" statements, but he would get defensive just the same. For instance, if I said "I feel xyz when you do abc" he would jump up and say that I was calling him whatever xyz happened to be. Then we'd get stuck on trying to separate my perception from his, trying to make him see I wasn't trying to call him xyz, but rather that his action was xyz... increasing frustration, increasing disappointment, we never resolved the issue.

Next issue came up, rinse and repeat of before. Until we had a huge pile of issues to untangle, but could never seem to do it successfully.

This dynamic is why he doesn't like talking with me... because it becomes a never ending circle. The issue wasn't that we didn't talk enough... god knows we did! It was that we could never accomplish much by talking, and he always said he felt worse after a discussion. We didn't know how to do it right...

I tried to be less critical, maybe I didn't do enough? Maybe I didn't do it right? Too little too late?

Thanks for pointing this out...

SD

E
E
Or maybe he isn't marriage material. It takes two. You have to complain. He has to be willing to address complaints.

You could always ask for how you can deliver complaints in such a fashion where he doesn't feel attacked, but does understand that things he does impact you.

Ultimately, you only have control of your side of the street and even if you clean up what is under your control there is no guarantee he will adequately address his issues.

But you have to focus on your part until it's obvious how he will consistently respond.

J
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Z, how about an update on your thread?

Sure thing, NED wink

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation