Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 45 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 44 45
M
M
Originally Posted by MrAlias
The education part regarding MB is tough for me. I buy into this program (learning more every day) but she doesn't.

I wanted to comment on this. Dr. Harley has said that there is still a LOT of hope for a marriage where the husband buys in and the wife does not. If you buy in and follow the program, if you are extremely consistent and effective with your love bank deposits and you eliminate the withdrawals, you are very likely to see her feelings change and then her beliefs change to match.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by markos
The education part regarding MB is tough for me. I buy into this program (learning more every day) but she doesn't.

I wanted to comment on this. Dr. Harley has said that there is still a LOT of hope for a marriage where the husband buys in and the wife does not. If you buy in and follow the program, if you are extremely consistent and effective with your love bank deposits and you eliminate the withdrawals, you are very likely to see her feelings change and then her beliefs change to match.
That is my hope. I thought I was there before but evidentally I was falling short of the mark.
Interestingly the Dr is starting with our ENs. I know it�s important to get them out there but I�m thinking there are some LBs that I need to eliminate and doing that is what is going to be important for my wife to experience.
Tonight I have to communicate how I want my needs met and she�s heard these all before � time and time again ... I don�t think she�s going to be all that intrigued hearing me lay out exactly what and when and how often I want and need something. We are getting along quite well I�d almost rather I start with something that shows her some benefit. Hopefully there are some ENs she needs immediately so I can show her that benefit.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
N
N
My guess is that he's starting with ENs because he's decided you are the one who's a bigger danger to the marriage right now if your needs go unmet.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
My guess is that he's starting with ENs because he's decided you are the one who's a bigger danger to the marriage right now if your needs go unmet.

Of course. Not sure why I didn't think about that. It has been an OK couple of weeks so I feel more invested in the R. I do know I'm still leary and seem quick to jump back to many of those same withdrawal feelings when I see/feel/hear something that triggers them.

I hope she's ready to complete our to-do(s) for tonight. It's our last night to get that done before we meet with Dr. Chalmer again. I believe she was still working on them this weekend.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
Every day I come here and SMILE. smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Every day I come here and SMILE. smile

I hope to join you in that fun some day.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
ME TOO! smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
That is my hope. I thought I was there before but evidentally I was falling short of the mark.

Story of my life. smile It turns out I had a LOT of blind spots on stuff I was missing and doing.

Interestingly the Dr is starting with our ENs. I know it�s important to get them out there but I�m thinking there are some LBs that I need to eliminate and doing that is what is going to be important for my wife to experience.
Tonight I have to communicate how I want my needs met and she�s heard these all before � time and time again ... I don�t think she�s going to be all that intrigued hearing me lay out exactly what and when and how often I want and need something. We are getting along quite well I�d almost rather I start with something that shows her some benefit. Hopefully there are some ENs she needs immediately so I can show her that benefit.

As the Love Busters decrease, the rest of the program becomes a lot more effective, but you usually won't hear cheers just for fixing the Love Busters alone. Steve Harley put it to me this way: noone goes around bragging they don't abuse their wife. smile

Listening to the radio show every day?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello Markos,

I listen to the show on average about 3 or 4 times a week. I missed the last few as things have been hectic. Currently I've been doing about 45 minutes of reading each day in the Harley books. I�m into the LB book now.

Update on my prior questions to you: After speaking to Dr J. it was decided that we would continue forward with our plan and hope that my wife is one of the 9 out of 10 where SF issues disappear. If she's not we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Sometimes the easiest things are beyond my thinking ... doh2

We shared our ENs Monday night. It was interesting how few things she asked for for each one of her ENs. Affection: Text me once a day to ask how she's doing. That�s it and that�s what I had already been doing in the past say a year or more ago and also what I started doing again about a week and a half ago. So her statement was an I Love It When statement not an I Would Love It If statement. My wife says she�s just not that needy. Dr J. said she�s going to help her add more to her list. I can and want to do more.

This tells me it is the LoveBusters that I�m unaware of that is draining her romantic love for me. She�s going to give me 3 annoying habits this week so I can thoughtfully respond. I�m to do the same as my wife said she�d like 3 of hers as well. I can�t wait to get her honesty and openness.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
Hello Markos,

I listen to the show on average about 3 or 4 times a week. I missed the last few as things have been hectic. Currently I've been doing about 45 minutes of reading each day in the Harley books. I�m into the LB book now.

Great! Keep this up!! I try to listen every day. I think for husbands trying to turn a marriage around, we usually need a lot of constant help like this, and the radio show is just perfect. Even when the show doesn't seem to pertain directly to our own situation, there is still always some helpful information that will shed light on some point, or reinforce what we've heard.

Update on my prior questions to you: After speaking to Dr J. it was decided that we would continue forward with our plan and hope that my wife is one of the 9 out of 10 where SF issues disappear. If she's not we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Hey, that definitely sounds like a good plan to me! Really it is amazing to me how the sexual issues in our marriage pertain so directly to the relationship issues. We've seen more ups and downs than we should have (mostly due to my own love busters) and that's given me a chance to see demonstrated repeatedly that in our marriage, there is literally no sense trying to do anything about sexual issues until the answer to "Is my wife in love with me?" is a resounding "YES," and when that becomes true, there usually are no sexual issues.

We shared our ENs Monday night. It was interesting how few things she asked for for each one of her ENs. Affection: Text me once a day to ask how she's doing. That�s it and that�s what I had already been doing in the past say a year or more ago and also what I started doing again about a week and a half ago. So her statement was an I Love It When statement not an I Would Love It If statement. My wife says she�s just not that needy. Dr J. said she�s going to help her add more to her list. I can and want to do more.

From this I think we can say we are seeing the results of your wife being in withdrawal for a long time. She's not feeling a lot of needs, because in withdrawal a person doesn't want to meet needs and doesn't want their own needs met either.

BUT, during a wife's withdrawal, if the husband does not engage in love busters, and persistently, consistently, patiently makes deposits, even if they are small, they eventually add up. And people do not stay in withdrawal perpetually: they feel lonely, they poke their heads out and briefly become willing to have their needs met, and that becomes an opportunity to make a big deposit, and if there are no love busters, the next thing you know, she is in conflict and willing to have her needs met (but not willing to meet yours, and possibly not willing to refrain from love busters), and then if you hold steady, don't love bust, and accelerate the love bank deposits, the next thing you know, she is in intimacy.

When she moves more fully out of withdrawal, she may be better able to identify her emotional needs. Until then, take every opportunity Dr. Chalmers can make for you, make every deposit you can, and focus especially on conversation. Read and re-read Dr. Harley's friends and enemies of good conversation.

M
M
Originally Posted by Extremely Lost
Rocks in a River: You find yourself on the bank of a wide river. It is too wide to jump across, and yet you still need to cross it. What do you do? You start picking up rocks and throwing them into the river. (These rocks are each small affectionate thing you do for your W). For the first 499 rocks, you see the rock hit the water, and then it dissapears. These rocks are sinking and landing on the bottom of the river. Eventually you get to rock #500 and it hits the water and part of it is sticking up above the surface. You now realize you are getting somewhere. You can finally see progress. For the first 499 rocks, you knew they were stacking up, but you had no proof other than common sense telling you that they were building up. We have to approach our relationships now as if every piece of affection is one of those rocks. We will not see any progress until a number of rocks have been thrown. However, just because we are not seeing these first 499 rocks does not mean they are not having an impact. Believe that they are, because they are.

(This is the original, but it's embedded in a long post about a bunch of other stuff. I include it only because I tend to be a historian:
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1659425#Post1659425)

EL was relating something he had been told by Steve Harley in a phone coaching session.

Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
the first is one used by the poster DoormatNoMore;

Creating romantic love after infidelity (aka "healing") is like creating a new island by chucking buckets of sand in a lake. It's going to take a lot of sand before it begins to peek above the water. Wind, waves, rain, and storms will wash that peak away, but you have to keep chucking buckets of sand.

she has wrapped herself in a protective shell. There are small cracks in that shell where some light can get in. You are tossing grains of rice at this shell, hoping to give her the nourishment she needs. If you throw only a single grains, or only small amounts (not keeping up with UA, not meeting ENs) they are not likely to fall through the small cracks.

However, if you throw HANDFULS (20+ hours of UA time, becoming expert at meeting her EN's, adhering to EP's), then some grains can slip through the cracks and give her the nourishment she needs to go forward.

She is STUCK in that cave, sir. And your actions put her there. She cannot simply decide to come out. Your action is what will free her.

Original:
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...in=164877&Number=2556440#Post2556440

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It has been awhile since I thought about and read again the Rocks in the River analogy.

I am sure I am very close to the surface. She told me last night she was very happy and was so happy we were communicating again.

I'm still waiting for the first of my 3 AHs she wants to communicate. We're scheduling time tonight.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Question for anyone:

I have to communicate an annoying habit to my wife tonight. But I'm unsure which to choose from.

My wife has a mild case of OCD where it creates habits that can be annoying. For instance, she overwashes her hands. So much so that they are usually dried and cracked especially in the dry winter months. (taking fish oils help). I'm not going to list that as an AH though ... I can live with it.

She also does this thing with light switches on off on off and she does it with some vigor. She broke one some years ago.

What I would really like to see her change is her eating habits and I'm not sure how much of it is just poor choices and how much is OCD. She drinks a lot of diet soda. As many as 5 or 6 a day that I know of ... she keeps a case of it at work so it could be more ... I'm not sure. Also, she doesn't eat healthy. No breakfast unless you count soda, cookies and Halloween pumpkins (candy corn stuff).

If I provide her with 1 AH do I break it up for her so she isn't overwhelmed or do I simply say I want you to eat better and that would mean cut down on the soda, treats and candies. I would encourage her to try to eat a good breakfast each day.

She is going to be upset that I'm going to "force" her to stop drinking so much soda. It's a crutch for her. We can't get in the car and go somewhere until she has at least 2 cans with her.

Thoughts?

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
L
L
If I provide her with 1 AH do I break it up for her so she isn't overwhelmed or do I simply say I want you to eat better and that would mean cut down on the soda, treats and candies. I would encourage her to try to eat a good breakfast each day.

Thoughts?

An annoying habit is something that bothers YOU. Be careful that you do not let it become about lecturing or changing her which would be disrespectful.

So what is it about her eating and drinking habits that impacts you? Does she leave the empty cans in the car? Is she too fat? Drill down until you get to the right place.

Once you are at the root of the issue that is troubling you, you will need to POJA it with her. Remember, for this you just state the issue and then together find a solution. Do not make the mistake of starting with a possible solution, wrong approach.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It's unattractive to me to watch her consume so much that is bad for her. It becomes even more annoying later when she states how she doesn't feel well or that's she's fat and hates her shape.

I've watched her sister drink so much diet pop that she has about half of her teeth left. And her sister is an attractive girl. Why would anyone do that to themselves? I fear what it is doing to my wife.

Another part that bothers me is that she denies it later. I can't count the number of times I'd be preparing for bed thinking "tonight I'll ask if we can be intimate" and she'll walk in saying she doesn't feel well. Imagine the difficulty in trying not to educate her when I feel I see a problem. Imagine the difficulty I have in trying to avoid making assumptions. I don't want to disrespect her so I just clam up.

On those nights when she has a stomach ache or a headache I'll express my concern that there may be something seriously wrong and she'll say "I don't have that many". Last time it happened I asked if we could track it. She looked at me with a puzzled look. "It isn't that often. Why would you want to do that?".

And it is right there in that moment that I need the most help on how to communicate with my wife. We each have our own perspective. To me it is an AH. To her she�s fine.

I will do my best to simply state it is unattractive to me and I�d like us to work together to find a solution.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
It's unattractive to me to watch her consume so much that is bad for her. It becomes even more annoying later when she states how she doesn't feel well or that's she's fat and hates her shape.

I would definitely tell her your feelings about this and include it on your list. This is something that affects your feelings towards her so she needs to know.

Exposure 101

L
L
I will do my best to simply state it is unattractive to me and I�d like us to work together to find a solution.

You need to tell her exactly what is unattractive. If it is that she is fat, come right out and say so. If it is that she is making herself ill and that this is negatively impacting you, say that. If you stick to your feelings you should be safe.

I wonder if there is an addiction that needs to be addressed?

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks ladies. I will stick to my feelings.

As far as addiction ... my wife is prone to addictions.

She wasn't able to quit smoking until she got a kidney stone while in her 2nd term with our first born. The 4 days in the hospital on morphine was enough to get her past the withdrawal.

Her father was an alcoholic. I had to approach my wife earlier this year because her drinking increased. She stopped when I told her I was concerned but once I really withdrew she started up again. She'll typically have at least 1 drink a day with most days being around 2 to 3.

I stated this when communicating our ENs. An Attractive Spouse: I would love it if we could create a lifestyle that would promote healthy choices in what we eat and drink. Creating a lifestyle that promotes health, for both of us, is important and attractive to me.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
On those nights when she has a stomach ache or a headache I'll express my concern that there may be something seriously wrong and she'll say "I don't have that many". Last time it happened I asked if we could track it. She looked at me with a puzzled look. "It isn't that often. Why would you want to do that?".

MrA, are you assuming that the pop makes her feel bad and makes her want to avoid sex rather than not being in love? I think you are blaming the wrong thing. Because if this is the case, then the real problem is that she avoids sex, not that she drinks pop. Diet pop isn't known for causing stomachaches. Sure, aspartame causes headaches in some people but it can't be assumed that is the issue.

It drives me crazy when my husband makes assumptions like that. It falls in the category of educating your spouse which is a lovebuster.

The way I would handle this is tell her that it is upsetting to you when she doesn't want intimacy. But you are both working on a plan to resolve that: falling in love. Falling in love will make her more willing to make love, NOT eliminating diet pop.

Do you blame the pop for her avoidance of SF?

Exposure 101

M
M
I stated this when communicating our ENs. An Attractive Spouse: I would love it if we could create a lifestyle that would promote healthy choices in what we eat and drink. Creating a lifestyle that promotes health, for both of us, is important and attractive to me.

What are her thoughts on this? Because you realize things like this have to be POJAed, right?

Exposure 101

Page 17 of 45 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation