Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19
markos #2691711 12/20/12 10:16 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Call the Harleys for a one-on-one phone appointment.

Too much is at stake to piddle solutions.

Pep,

Prisca and I are having problems again. We were posting to Dr. Harley, but she won't post any more. She says I'm disrespectful. I posted to him this morning, and am waiting on a response. I'm feeling pretty miserable at the moment: there are a lot of complaints I have about our marriage that I had hoped would be addressed by now, but they haven't been addressed. Prisca says I am disrespectful.

I can't figure out how I am being disrespectful. I am hoping that she will give me another chance to reword these complaints, if I can learn to do it respectfully.

Would you mind using your influence to try to persuade Prisca to reengage with Dr. Harley? I don't know what other hope we have.

We aren't getting UA time. I tried to complain about that this morning, but Prisca said I was disrespectful.

I don't really have anyone to talk to for support when Prisca is demanding or disrespectful. I follow your (and Dr. Harley's) advice and complain to her, but she rejects my complaints.

She doesn't want to learn to negotiate. She says it is miserable. She was posting to Dr. Harley about this last week, but she won't post any more.
I hope Prisca Will continue to post to Dr. H. You're both in my prayers. pray

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Prisca did post to Dr. Harley last night.

I just made an appointment with a doctor for antidepressant medication. I'm a little hurt that when I told Prisca her response was she doesn't want to know about it.

It really feels like nobody cares. I can't talk to any of our friends or anyone in our church - Prisca is not enthusiastic.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2691796 12/20/12 02:51 PM
N
N
It really feels like nobody cares.

That may be true, because out here in cyberland, there is a spitload of "nobodies" who care very much.

What can we do, friend?

M
M
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
It really feels like nobody cares.

That may be true, because out here in cyberland, there is a spitload of "nobodies" who care very much.

What can we do, friend?

Just having your caring prompt response was very nice, NG. Thank you.

Pray for me, and pray that the end of the year goes fast and that doctor's appointment comes soon and the medication is effective and that I am calm and rational on the other side.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2691805 12/20/12 03:19 PM
M
M
This just hurts so much:

(2012-12-20 14:02:43) markos: I want to have a recovered marriage.
(2012-12-20 14:02:59) Prisca: you are using it to hurt me
(2012-12-20 14:03:57) markos: Let me mourn, then.
(2012-12-20 14:04:45) Prisca: mourn what
(2012-12-20 14:05:12) markos: Never mind.
(2012-12-20 14:05:28) Prisca: what?
(2012-12-20 14:05:43) markos: Let's stop talking about it.
(2012-12-20 14:06:01) Prisca: why?
(2012-12-20 14:06:48) markos: I hurt so terribly much, and I want to talk about it with someone who understands why I am hurting, but it sounds like you don't understand.
(2012-12-20 14:07:27) Prisca: ouch
(2012-12-20 14:07:37) markos: I'm sorry.
(2012-12-20 14:09:03) Prisca: i guess you better find some one else to talk to, then
(2012-12-20 14:09:48) markos: It would mean a lot to me if you'd keep posting to Dr. Harley every day until I feel better.
(2012-12-20 14:11:37) Prisca: no
(2012-12-20 14:11:43) markos: okay
(2012-12-20 14:14:32) Prisca: who are you going to talk to
(2012-12-20 14:16:57) markos: I'd like to just be left alone.
(2012-12-20 14:17:25) Prisca: now?
(2012-12-20 14:17:51) markos: Yes
(2012-12-20 14:18:09) Prisca: you are hurting me
(2012-12-20 14:18:21) markos: I'd like to be left alone.
(2012-12-20 14:18:32) Prisca: you are hurting me
(2012-12-20 14:18:45) markos: I can't do this right now.
(2012-12-20 14:18:58) Prisca: blocking you

markos #2691807 12/20/12 03:22 PM
B
B
We are here for you guys. hug

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

N
N
This is raising a lot of redflagredflag . I'd LOVE to be wrong!

Will you humor me and do some digging, just so I can be proven wrong and be glad thereof?

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2691815 12/20/12 03:55 PM
N
N
You may not even be looking for a full-blown A. Perhaps an inappropriate emotional attachment. SOMETHING is diverting her away from your M. Unless it's you, it has to be someone else.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
markos #2691819 12/20/12 04:13 PM
S
S
Are you still doing the weekly lessons, or have you finished the course? What happens when you've finished - is that the end of regular contact with your coach?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Are you still doing the weekly lessons, or have you finished the course?

No, we never finished. I have tried to be pretty close mouthed about what happened, but it hurt me very much. She dragged the lessons out for a full year (she explained this here in Italy), then came at it with renewed vigor and we did one lesson. But we basically just filled out the paperwork. The plans weren't kept.

Then at the end of last year, when Kim contacted her about trying to finish the lessons, Prisca berated me for the fact that they weren't done and were taking so long! Nothing ever hurt so much.

We went on to the Affection lesson, my #1 need. Again Prisca filled out the paperwork, and I saw more effort here, but many of the things I asked for just never happened, or didn't happen regularly, and I would try to talk to her about it and she just wouldn't answer me.

I found that, when we spent a lot of time together watching television, and didn't fight, she would eventually become affectionate with me. Not in the specific ways we asked for, but at least I would be happier with what I was receiving, and we would start becoming close again.

But we never really learned to negotiate, and so when conflict arose, Prisca would either remain silent and resentful (and that would affect the way she was treating me), or make demands. And then everything would fall apart. And we would go back to square one, and rebuild, with no real verbal commitment, just me hoping against hope that things would get better again. And never an acknowledgment that she had played a role in the downturn, never an agreement to learn to resolve our conflicts with win-win solutions, and she would get mad at me and punish me for trying to talk about it. So always, there is the worry that there is going to be another fight when she discovers something that she wants done or is resentful about.

She has come at me with a lot of things the way she did about the lessons last year: starting out with blaming me for the fact that it is not done. She declined to divide up domestic support tasks according to Dr. Harley's plan, and kept asking what good the plan would be since I might agree to do something but then change my mind.

M
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Are you still doing the weekly lessons, or have you finished the course? What happens when you've finished - is that the end of regular contact with your coach?

Prisca hates to hear from the coach. When the coach calls, she punishes me.

Neak #2691825 12/20/12 04:23 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by Neak
This is raising a lot of redflagredflag . I'd LOVE to be wrong!

Will you humor me and do some digging, just so I can be proven wrong and be glad thereof?
I was thinking the same thing when I read the texts.

Are you still at home?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

markos #2691849 12/20/12 05:26 PM
I
I
I'm so so sorry Markos you are going through this frown

just me hoping against hope that things would get better again. .

Hope is not a plan.

Pray for me, and pray that the end of the year goes fast and that doctor's appointment comes soon and the medication is effective and that I am calm and rational on the other side.

But this is. You can only control yourself, set your own boundaries and limits and work from there. Do just exactly what you are doing. I think sometimes that hitting rock bottom is a blessing in disguise because it makes us dig deep and be more proactive.

I don't know what is in Prisca's heart today, but I know the two of you have worked in tandem to save the marriages of others. As one. But it is easier, I know, to be objective with the problems of others.

Regain that objectivity. The meds will help. So will asking the q: "What would I tell a new poster?".
You have the skills to answer any MB question. Do not let despair swamp you when logic is within reach.

We care about and love you both.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
Somebody explain this to me:

Prisca: I just read your thread.
Prisca: I am not having an affair, and will do anything to prove it to you.
markos: I know. :*
Prisca: Having an anxiety attack.
You left out everything you've done this year, and have made people think the worst of me. Many of the things you said about me are not true.
markos: They already know everything I've done this year.
Prisca: No, they don't
markos: What should I tell them?
Prisca: I don't care. :'(
The damage has already been done.

M
M
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Regain that objectivity. The meds will help. So will asking the q: "What would I tell a new poster?".

I would tell him to get antidepressant medication! That's pretty much exactly the question I asked myself.

markos #2691864 12/20/12 06:31 PM
S
S
I am just so saddened to hear this. We are here for you both. Praying Dr Harley can get you guys on the right path. Hang in there!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
markos #2691873 12/20/12 06:43 PM
I
I
Somebody explain this to me:

Prisca: I just read your thread.
Prisca: I am not having an affair, and will do anything to prove it to you.
markos: I know. :*
Prisca: Having an anxiety attack.
You left out everything you've done this year, and have made people think the worst of me. Many of the things you said about me are not true.
markos: They already know everything I've done this year.
Prisca: No, they don't
markos: What should I tell them?
Prisca: I don't care. :'(
The damage has already been done.

That's awesome that she's transparent about any A fears you would have. Not only because THAT is an MB marriage which does not rely on blind trust but also because it shows concern for your feelings. Awesome.

I really, really think some objectivity is all that is required here.

I think feelings have ran a little high here and there and its stalled recovery. And that's been left unresolved too long because of a givers mentality until you're both exhausted.

Markos, I don't want to cut off your support system here, but do you think it's wise to post if it's causing Prisca anxiety?

At least in the short term?

She's talking about some resentment caused over the past year and you need to draw her out on those points. Without her feeling like she's on display here.

Why not tell her you'd like to POJA posting together about these problems at some point when she feels more ready?

You can access Dr H still in that time. Are there any male friends who can offer general support off the boards?

markos #2691880 12/20/12 07:01 PM
D
D

Markos, sorry to hear this is happening.

If you are having to wait to see a Dr. for a prescription, take a look at an over the counter supplement called 5-HTP. I have taken all kinds of AD's over the years off and on and have found that 5-HTP (100 mg) is as useful as the rest. Boosts serotonin just like most SSRI's. Best to take at night until you get used to it.

Good luck with everything...

BH (Me): 50
WW (Her): 44
Married 22 years
DD15, DD10
D-Day) 3/18/11

N
N
...do you think it's wise to post if it's causing Prisca anxiety?

Whoa, slippery slope directly ahead, ig.

Whatever any poster would feel compelled to put here would be something they knew, believed, or felt, so it's already within them in some form. (We have no real-world powers, making material interference impossible, thus posting something known to be false by the poster would be irrational.) How could a spouse claim "anxiety" about something within their mate, but only to the extent that it is brought here to an anonymous board. In other words,if the "anxiety" is brought about not by the fact that it is within the posting spouse, but by the fact that it was posted, then the "anxious" spouse has the right and option not to read the offending posts.

Or are we about to decide that anonymously seeking assistance must be POJA'd? If one spouse were a drunk, could that one veto the other's attending an Al-Anon meeting?

I
I
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
are we about to decide that anonymously seeking assistance must be POJA'd? If one spouse were a drunk, could that one veto the other's attending an Al-Anon meeting?

I agree and I would never suggest that posting on these forums is something that should always be subject to POJA. There are too many terminal problems in marriage, affecting the health of one of the spouses for that to be the rule in all cases. However in this case, could POJA not be offered?

Not knowing the ins and outs of the situation, I couldn�t possibly say.

I don't know if your example of an alcoholic's spouse, desperately needing outside intervention is an apt one here. It could be. Or it could be that Markos would get further with POJA.

Which is why I phrased my suggestion as a question. Markos will have a good idea as to the answer, and he also has access to Dr Harley. Dr Harley who has had access to both sides of this story would be better placed to make the call on whether posting here is something Markos needs to POJA or not.

But I felt it was something that needed to be considered

Last edited by indiegirl; 12/21/12 03:55 AM.

Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation