Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2697386 01/11/13 03:21 PM
N
OP Offline
N
[b][/b] I havent been on this site for awhile. Thought some things were getting better or I just stopped worrying about stuff.

I just need advise or some input now. Im seriously ready to pull my hair out, or maybe get a freakin back bone and leave for good, Some older posters may remember me but this is what I want advise on now.

We moved in june to another home, different town, hoping ok its going to make a new start. Home needed some repairs. So here we are 7 months later and we are still living like gypsies in the basement. Half of our stuff is still packed, took Hubby 5 months to install kitchen cabinets that were bought and delivered and sitting in the living room, he is still polishing the edging for the freakin counter top( he polishes, sands it, polishes again, sands it) this has been going on for 3 weeks!!!! Of course he only goes upstairs and works on it for a few minutes then comes back down here and plops in front of the TV to watch TV. The master bathroom upstairs just needed a new vanity installed, well he tore the whole bathroom up, cabinet is stacked up against wall and nothing has been done ( 1 month now) the spare room upstairs is loaded with boxes. 90% of the boxes are his crap! he has 4 boxes full of old bills that he has already paid ( some are 6 months old) and he refuses to let me throw them away, this one point caused an argument last night. I have family coming to stay for a visit the end of this month and the house is a mess. Boxes everywhere, tools and crap half down thrown all over the couch upstairs, spare room loaded with boxes, kitchen not done, bathroom not done.

I can make 2 pages full of stuff that he starts and never finishes. the more I push/ask/beg/ the more he does NOTHING. its like he like living like a pig, in the basement.

I bought a brand new big AC unit when we moved in July, cost me $600. well we spent the summer in the basement and the AC was not even taken out of the box!!!

A bit of history, we were the caregivers for his parents for over 3 yrs, until we had to put them in a memory care facility in April. We had to clean out their house ( MIL was a huge pack rat!!!!) that adventure took us almost a month, hubby had to go thru every single box, every single envelope..it was horrible. She has alzheimers and was a pack rat, had stuff stashed everywhere from 70 yrs ago! you can imagine, well Hubby refused to get rid of a bunch of their stuff, so now the new house's gargage is LOADED to the roof with crap he bought over from his parents house too!!!! I would think that after what we had to go thru cleaning his parents house, he would not want to be the same way!!

I CANT DEAL WITH THIS!!!!! i dont know how to tell him, ask him , beg him to pleaseeeee get up and finish something in the house , let me help him go thru boxes and sort thru stuff..Im sick of living in the basement out of boxes, i hate not being able to set up the living room as a normal home!

any ideas?? I wish I could post pics here of the condition of this house and it doesnt seem to bother him ..its never going to get finished if he only works at it 1 hr a day MAYBE

Met 6/2000
Married 10/2001
Separated 4/2008
Moved back in with H on 10-29-09 Its a struggle so far.
Me 56
H 57
M
M
Hi luly, it sounds you really need to use the program in your marriage. Particularly, the policy of radical honesty and the policy of joint agreement. How well are you doing on those in your marriage? Are you familiar with the program?

Focusing on a specific conflict is not going to help you when the true issue is a lack of necessary skills to resolve conflicts. Which MB books do you have?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
OP Offline
N
Melody I have read thru this site, been on and off for over 4 yrs i think. There is no POJA's with hubby, He does not compromise. Radical honesty is something I have tried, but it falls on deaf ears, I am at a loss.
His answer "leave my stuff alone" end of story, no more talking to him about it.

thats why I am so frustrated. He does not budge, he doesnt see the mess. and right now this is a MAJOR problem, so I have to pick my battles with him.
frown

Met 6/2000
Married 10/2001
Separated 4/2008
Me 56
H 57
M
M
I would try using the program, luly, because we obviously can't resolve these conflicts for you. If you can't motivate him to use MB, then try the coaching center and see if they can get him on board. Failing that, your best shot is to separate and use the plan outlined in When to Call it Quits.

When to Call It Quits - Part 1

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
luly,

The MB plan only works for you if you truly follow the whole plan. But in order for you to do that you're going to have to make some tough choices and do some things that are hard to do.

But that is what this site is for.

You have a reluctant spouse and as such your life is miserable and will continue to be miserable unless he either gets on board with these concepts or you find a new life to lead.

I think the best I can think to offer you right now is to listen to what Dr. Harley says and see if you can follow his recommendations.

When to call it quits

Last edited by MrAlias; 01/11/13 04:04 PM.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
N
OP Offline
N
Thxs frown Im going to read "when to call it quits" since i see that link on 2 replies..maybe its time I call it quits frown 12 yrs of trying with no results .

Met 6/2000
Married 10/2001
Separated 4/2008
Me 56
H 57
B
B
This might help also.

Please listen to these radio clips on what are the reasons for divorce.

Radio clip at 5:45 When to call it quits
Segment #2

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Originally Posted by luly
Thxs frown Im going to read "when to call it quits" since i see that link on 2 replies..maybe its time I call it quits frown 12 yrs of trying with no results .

Please listen to these radio clips on what are the reasons for divorce.

Radio clip at 5:45 When to call it quits
Segment #2

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

C
C
Your post sounds like helplessness to me. Why would you rather leave your husband than learn how to install a cabinet? Or an AC unit? Or, idk, pay someone to do that for you?

4 boxes of bills, "some of them over six months old"? How many bills do you have, or how big are those boxes? You know you can shred or burn that stuff, right? You can buy a scanner for the computer and make digital copies and get rid of the bulk. I keep records for a year, in paper, and it fills up a space of about 6"*6". Less than a shoebox. All my tax records fit in a standard business-sized envelope.

I have little patience for people who won't alleviate their own pain, and choose to abandon commitments instead. Install a cabinet, digitize docs, do something.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
L
L
Hang on CWMI, not so simple

Originally Posted by luly
There is no POJA's with hubby, He does not compromise. Radical honesty is something I have tried, but it falls on deaf ears, I am at a loss.
His answer "leave my stuff alone" end of story, no more talking to him about it.

I was married to one of these. No discussion means no discussion. WW3 would break out if you rolled up up your sleeves to actually solve the problem.

Last edited by living_well; 01/12/13 09:30 PM.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,027 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation