Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2709489 03/01/13 01:21 PM
K
kerala Offline OP
OP Offline
K
From FluffyMouse's thread:

Originally Posted by pokerface
Fluffy. The POJA does not apply when it requires people to keep damaging secrets from a victim.

Over the years I've seen a few exceptions to POJA cited here. The most common one is a health issue - presumably you cannot be bound to POJA if, say, you have breast cancer and your spouse doesn't want you to get a mastectomy. I've also seen a reference to illegal activities, though when that has been brought up in the past the reaction occasionally has been inconsistent (ie., obviously serious criminal activity would be out of bounds but I've definitely seen the point made that doing something at the request of your spouse (likely, an EP) that your employer would not like - that could possibly be illegal - is not subject to POJA because it is also an EP, so you should just do it.

I'm curious what people think of the above statement, which appears to constitute another exception. Can anyone provide a cite to MB materials for this? Who determines what level of damage? Apart from adultery, what else would count?

kerala #2709497 03/01/13 01:41 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by pokerface
Fluffy. The POJA does not apply when it requires people to keep damaging secrets from a victim. You cannot POJA to NOT do the right thing. That is not what the POJA was meant for.

Your huband knows what it feels like to be kept in the dark when his marriage is being assaulted behind his back. Your husband did the right thing.

Here is the entire quote...to keep it in context.

ETA: I understand your question but I like to keep my words true to the spirit in which they were written.

Last edited by pokerface; 03/01/13 01:54 PM.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

K
kerala Offline OP
OP Offline
K
The reason I only cited the question is that I wanted to de-couple it from Fluffy's thread and her particular situation.

kerala #2709505 03/01/13 02:02 PM
P
P
I understand. We are good Kerala.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

kerala #2709603 03/01/13 08:34 PM
P
P
Well, Mr Pep and I recently were trying to POJA a very difficult problem that touched on conflicting values. I think this is what is really going on in a lot of POJA stalemates. There are two important values/principles and one of them is going to have to give way to the other in order for there to be a solution.

Mr P and I were 'stuck'. We knew we were stuck. We had to make a decision as time was running out.
We POJA'd a trip to our pastor. smile
Our pastor helped us come up with a mutually agreeable plan.
We executed the plan. It was very difficult to do.
But, I must say, the outcome was good in the sense that WE, our marriage, grew leaps and bounds by way of getting ourselves into a position to negotiate with a third (very trusted) individual.

Something to think about.
First identify the conflicting values.
Then discuss with a wise 3rd party.
Listen, brainstorm, etc.
We came up with a Biblical solution, that we would not have otherwise thought of.

kerala #2709604 03/01/13 08:41 PM
P
P
You cannot POJA to NOT do the right thing.

As much as I agree with this, in principle, I know that real life situations present dilemmas which have 2 sides. Each side claiming some degree of moral rightness.
If one of the Commandments seems to say "Do this" and a different commandment seems to say "Do that" .... I think getting some professional advice is smart.

H
H
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Well, Mr Pep and I recently were trying to POJA a very difficult problem that touched on conflicting values. I think this is what is really going on in a lot of POJA stalemates. There are two important values/principles and one of them is going to have give way to the other in order for there to be a solution.

Mr P and I were 'stuck'. We knew we were stuck. We had to make a decision as time was running out.
We POJA'd a trip to our pastor. smile
Our pastor helped us come up with a mutually agreeable plan.
We executed the plan. It was very difficult to do.
But, I must say, the outcome was good in the sense that WE, our marriage, grew leaps and bounds by way of getting ourselves into a position to negotiate with a third (very trusted) individual.

Something to think about.
First identify the conflicting values.
Then discuss with a wise 3rd party.
Listen, brainstorm, etc.
We came up with a Biblical solution, that we would not have otherwise thought of.

Boy... that sounds like a familiar approach... smile

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
P
P
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Boy... that sounds like a familiar approach... smile

Hi you.

H
H
Well, hallo!

Surprise, surprise... I understand exactly what you are talking about.

And, I think about the question here, even the possibility of a legal dilemma... and I think of a classical ethics model in which a man has a sick wife who is dying, and one pharmacist has a drug that can cure her, but he cannot afford it. One of the options is for the man to break into the pharmacy and steal the medication to save his wife's life.

That's a simple one.

I get to directly deal with end-of-life care and hospice, and the possibility that comfort care may, in fact, be the cause of death.

I... don't think that I want to go much further than that...

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
P
P
Exposing "secrets" is risky.
Wanna know why?
"Thou shalt not bear false witness"

Be careful. Think before you speak.

There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.
�Proverbs 6:16�19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation