Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 26 27
W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
We've actually spoken to the police and they told us that, if our son receives mail here (he does), then he is a legal resident of our apartment (even though he's not on the lease and doesn't pay rent).

They are lying, so they do not have to put down their donuts and actually earn the excessive salaries that you pay them. The names on the lease are there for a reason - they establish legal possession.

But you do not need them. Lock the door. Do not open it when he starts to cause a ruckus. Call the police and have him arrested for disturbing the peace. SHOW SOME FORTITUDE! If I remember correctly, this was the the same son who broke into your previous abode through the window, right?

But, you're not going to do any of this, are you? You're about one note away from lambasting NG for being rude, abusive, etc, etc, and once again leaving the site until the next crisis that you do nothing to avert or terminate.

Why would the police lie? In fact, we've called several times and been told the same thing each time, by different people.

And yes, this is the same son, same abode too. He can still get in that way, if he really wants to.

And no, I don't intend to lambast you for anything or to disappear. I've been reading on the site all along. I don't always post, but I do read.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
T
T
I would agree that it is very strange that your grandmother would have "expected" this from you and your H without making ANY financial provisions for you to care for your mother, knowing that you and your H live in a tiny 2 bedroom apt, already too crowded, and with you guys barely making it.

Years ago my H and I moved in with my MIL temporarily, our thought was to save up a down payment for a house, this was a large house, but still a very stupid decision and a complete disaster! It was very damaging to our relationship with her, as well as other family members.

We had no privacy, constant intrusion and boundary issues, and put a strain on our M, it ended in us leaving on bad terms and H and I deciding to go NC with his entire family for a long time! Looking back at it I can now see it was just as bad for my MIL as it was for us, (we were very young at the time, and I am now very embarrassed by the entire situation) YUCK frown! What a horrible decision!

I would not do this in your situation, not only is it a bad decision for your M, but too much of an additional financial burden. What in the world is anyone thinking that she gets $700. a month but would give you guys $300. a month? Are you kidding me? No WAY!

You came here questioning this, what other options are you thinking of?

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by tismeagain
What in the world is anyone thinking that she gets $700. a month but would give you guys $300. a month? Are you kidding me? No WAY!

You came here questioning this, what other options are you thinking of?

If she gives us $300 a month towards rent, that would leave her $400 a month to cover co-pays on her medications and special diabetic foods she eats that we don't (such as her morning Glucerna, which she has everyday for breakfast). That seemed fair and reasonable to me.

We aren't really considering any other options. I was just looking for advice on how to make this work. Apparently, it seems most people don't think it can.

I told my husband that about the only way I can see this working long term is if we find a place with mother-in-law quarters or something with two homes on one property, but I don't know how easy that's going to be. It certainly won't happen in our current area since anything like that here would be way out of our price range.

It's going to be tough as long as we have to stay here. The plan right now is for my H and I to keep the master bedroom, 4-year-old keeps her bedroom, and we set up my mother's bed in the corner of our living area that is supposed to serve as the dining room. But no, there won't be much privacy with this arrangement. About the only time my H and I will have alone is when we go out on dates or when we're in our bedroom.

Last edited by writer1; 03/28/13 09:55 PM.

M
M
Hey writer, just wanted to give a shout out to a fellow human being with an over-developed guilt complex smile

Just wondering- if you weren't alive what would your mom do? What do people in her situation end up doing without family to help where you live?

We have subsidized assisted living facilities and enhanced lodges in this part of the world. Really nice facilities. Lots more room and social aspects built in.

I understand where you are coming from. Just saying "no" after years of expectations and unresolved guilt issues would be very very difficult. It just sounds like a two bedroom apartment with 4 adults and a kid would be a crazy-making ( even without the added "mother" complication).

Is there any other solution at all? Is there someone wise in your area you can talk to like a spiritual director to give you support as you work through this?

B
B
Have you thought about emailing the Harleys?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

V
V
Will the apartment complex allow her to move in? Here you would be over the limit for most complexes.

Also, has your DH applied at GMAC Insurance? There are positions he is well qualified for in Winston Salem, NC and Cleveland, OH. Winston is a beautiful area to raise children and Cleveland has a low cost of living. I've lived in both and worked in both.

Me: 30
Him: 39
Together 5 years
Married the very best man in the world 04/06/2013 after being common law for too long. I'm a lucky woman.
7 Cats - Viscount Ashley of Leftfield, Pawkie Petunia, The Timinator, Leo the Lionheart, Fruit Snack, Cloud, and Barret
And our very lucky pony, Starbucks
W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Mae_1
Hey writer, just wanted to give a shout out to a fellow human being with an over-developed guilt complex smile

Just wondering- if you weren't alive what would your mom do? What do people in her situation end up doing without family to help where you live?

We have subsidized assisted living facilities and enhanced lodges in this part of the world. Really nice facilities. Lots more room and social aspects built in.

I understand where you are coming from. Just saying "no" after years of expectations and unresolved guilt issues would be very very difficult. It just sounds like a two bedroom apartment with 4 adults and a kid would be a crazy-making ( even without the added "mother" complication).

Is there any other solution at all? Is there someone wise in your area you can talk to like a spiritual director to give you support as you work through this?

I don't know what my mom would do if I wasn't around. I've never really thought about it and I doubt she has either.

As far as assisted living facilities go, I don't think my mom would qualify for a subsidy or anything. We couldn't even get my grandmother into a subsidized facility and she was 90, nearly blind, and could barely get out of bed with the assistance of two people. They covered about 3 weeks of nursing home care and then sent her home, where she passed away three days later. My mom is still essentially able to care for herself. She can walk, just not very far. She goes shopping by herself and does okay as long as she has a cart to lean on. She can still drive too. So she is much too independent to qualify for a state-sponsored nursing home.

And as far as the 2-bedroom apartment goes, it is only a temporary situation. We don't intend to stay here forever. We want to move to a bigger place as soon as my husband finds a job in a cheaper area. Around here, 3-bedroom places are just terribly expensive. It's hard to find much under $2000 a month. But we have to sign a new 1-year lease on our current apartment or our rent will shoot up from $1450 a month to $1850 a month. Even with the new lease, our rent will be going up $100 a month. And if my husband finds a job somewhere and we have to move before the new lease is up, we will have to pay a $2000 fee to break the lease.

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by HopefulNC
Will the apartment complex allow her to move in? Here you would be over the limit for most complexes.

Also, has your DH applied at GMAC Insurance? There are positions he is well qualified for in Winston Salem, NC and Cleveland, OH. Winston is a beautiful area to raise children and Cleveland has a low cost of living. I've lived in both and worked in both.

We can have 5 people here in a 2-bedroom apartment.

I'm not sure where my husband is concentrating his job-search. I know he has applied to some places in South Carolina. He's also applying to places in Oregon, Texas, and Colorado.

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Have you thought about emailing the Harleys?

Yes, for a number of issues, not just this one. But every time I try to write an email that covers all of the numerous problems, it ends up 10 pages long and I give up.

P
P
Originally Posted by writer1
But every time I try to write an email that covers all of the numerous problems, it ends up 10 pages long and I give up.

Whoa Nellie!
shocked
A flash of clarity!
This may be one of your biggest issues clogging up your life.
You fail to attack and solve one problem at a time and the list of problems to be solved is so overwhelmingly lengthy that (quote) "I give up".

Am I close?

Edit to add:

As a nurse practitioner in primary care, patients sometimes would bring a list of up to 25-30 items they wanted to address in a 15 minute appointment slot. Impossible!
I would tell them to circle ONE thing that was their priority, and I would address that first, then I would decide what else we had time for.
It was amazing how much I could accomplish this way.
And it was also amazing how often the patient would circle the problem that I thought had a very low priority.
Much of the time a person with a long list suffers from anxiety and does not recognize it. Anxiety is their #1 really distressing problem.

You maybe?

Last edited by Pepperband; 03/29/13 11:33 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband

As a nurse practitioner in primary care, patients sometimes would bring a list of up to 25-30 items they wanted to address in a 15 minute appointment slot. Impossible!
I would tell them to circle ONE thing that was their priority, and I would address that first, then I would decide what else we had time for.
And it was also amazing how often the patient would circle the problem that I thought had a very low priority.
Much of the time a person with a long list suffers from anxiety and does not recognize it. Anxiety is their #1 really distressing problem.

You maybe?

That is amazingly similar to the way Dr. Harley treats some problems.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Originally Posted by markos
That is amazingly similar to the way Dr. Harley treats some problems.

Otherwise, problem-solving is like trying to pick up hundreds of matchsticks off the floor .... using only one hand.

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
But every time I try to write an email that covers all of the numerous problems, it ends up 10 pages long and I give up.

Whoa Nellie!
shocked
A flash of clarity!
This may be one of your biggest issues clogging up your life.
You fail to attack and solve one problem at a time and the list of problems to be solved is so overwhelmingly lengthy that (quote) "I give up".

Am I close?

Edit to add:

You maybe?

Yes, to all.

I have no idea which "issue" to focus on right now. It feels like so many pressing issues have been dumped on me here lately that it's difficult to filter them.

Anxiety has been a huge problem lately, but I don't know if it is because I have actual anxiety issues or if it is entirely situational and a result of everything else that has been going on.

P
P
I have no idea which "issue" to focus on right now. It feels like so many pressing issues have been dumped on me here lately that it's difficult to filter them.
like trying to pick up hundreds of matchsticks off the floor .... using only one hand. .... and there is a time limit .... and the clock is ticking ...

P
P
Writer, darling .....

If you think you must also add other people's problems to your "list" as well .... what is left for you?

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
like trying to pick up hundreds of matchsticks off the floor .... using only one hand. .... and there is a time limit .... and the clock is ticking ...

Okay, so what is the solution?

P
P

In an emergency, what is your #1 priority if you are going to help anyone else?

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W

In an emergency, what is your #1 priority if you are going to help anyone else?

Help myself first?

P
P
Pretty much.
If you are injured/weak/wounded/hurt/bleeding/crazy/anxious/dippy-do-dah .... you cannot help others.

P
P
Originally Posted by YOU
I have no idea which "issue" to focus on right now.

Want me to choose one?
OK smile Happy to oblige.
I choose

Your marriage.
UA time.
Intimacy and romantic love.
Once you have those things firmly and consistently in your pocket, your anxiety will be much much less.
Then, go onto to another problem. Just one.

If you can convince me that bringing your mother into your small apartment will help you work on that priority ... then I'm a monkey's auntie.

Page 3 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation