Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
SugarCane #2721060 04/21/13 11:33 AM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
See, different situation. I don' t even have any family around to help me, but I should just let some stuff go and take care of me.
We do spend time together, going to eat out or just a walk. A few times we managed to go on a few days vacantion alone, have one planned for july in fact. We talk a lot about diffrent problems...when we don't fight about something is like we are best friends. That's not bad, but at least for me...not enough.
My husband is more advanced in sports like biking snd skiing, but he will go slower with me if I want to go. Too many times I am too disapointed and sad to be in the mood for that. So it's like a cycle.
I actualy think that's the problem.

BrainHurts #2721087 04/21/13 05:18 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Can you email them?

Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the rebroadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will be called by us to explain the procedure to you. Every caller will receive a complementary book by Dr. Harley that addresses their question.
Why won't you at least email the Harleys? It's free.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

SugarCane #2721091 04/21/13 05:55 PM
H
H
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Originally Posted by aia1
We live in Europe and my husband would never agree to that.Some time ago after reading on this site I asked him by email what are the top 5 things he needs from me. He never answered the email but told me later that taking about it like that does not help and I should know the answer. He's right, I know he wants me to take better care of myself and look better, be a better and happier companion for him and keep the house in order without complaning or asking for help.
I was hoping to find advice on how to get the mindset to give him all that when he ignores my most important need.
I'm sorry to hear about this very sad situation, aia. I had a marriage like that, where my H just was not interested in me. The deadlock was broken by his having an affair, so I obviously cannot recommend our path to you.

You mentioned your depression in an earlier post, and you do emphasise that you lack the ability to do something about the things that you know he would like you to improve. You seem to have identified his ENs quite well, and you want a happy marriage, but you seem unable to improve the things that you are not doing very well.

I think you would benefit from a consultation with your doctor about depression. He might feel that a course of anti-depressants would be beneficial to you.

There are alternatives to medication, such as daily, vigorous exercise, which would also help with your weight management, and herbal remedies such as St john's Wort, that people speak highly of. You could also join a weight management programme where members meet weekly and support each other. The support and friendship would probably help with your motivation.

I think there might be an underlying problem of depression.

Let's flesh out the "non-pharmaceutical" options for depression, SugarCane already mentioned St. John's wart and exercise.

For supplements; vitamins B6, folic acid, magnesium, and Omega-3's (think Fish Oil capsules) have shown to help improve mood.

Make sure you are getting 6-8 hours of good sleep each night. I have trouble falling asleep, so 5mg of melatonin helps with this.

Minimize any intake of caffiene - caffiene interupts rest, and caffiene "crashes" will worsen your mood. Also; avoid alcohol.

Watch your carbohydrate intake - high sugar meals will lead to a sugar "crash," worsening your mood.

Lastly - start building good, busy habits. Too much time to sit and think will just feed the obsessive thought processes of depression.

As for your busy habits; I would suggest printing out the available material here, or ordering the marriage builders books - and with either, really studying them. This means not just reading, but reading with 2 things in hand; a pen for making margin notes, and a highlighter for highlighting important sections.

Your depression may actually be a symptom of your marriage, and arming yourself to improve your marriage and/or move on if your husband won't get on board to do so will likely be a deciding factor in the long-term prognosis of your depression.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you. I will try my best to do at least some of what you said. I'll email, buy some vitamins and read some more material.
I get about 6-7 hours of sleep, but my diet have too much sugar in it, so I need to make some changes there...but it's hard, I am probably adicted to it.
I have no intention to leave my husband, however. It would just be nice if we could start changing in the same time, it's hard to do it first just with the hope he'll be motivated to give you what you need.
Thanks, again. Talking about it has helped me, I think.

aia1 #2721131 04/22/13 04:18 AM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I think this is were I am now, this decribes best what my situation is:
"If you set a good example by meeting your spouse's needs first, alas, that usually means that your own needs are met last. Your Taker is not pleased with this arrangement, and may try to sabotage it. You will need to make a deliberate and patient effort to override the Taker's instinct to retreat back to fighting and name-calling. But if you resist that instinct to argue, and instead focus attention on behaving thoughtfully and meeting your spouse's needs, your spouse will be encouraged to reciprocate.

Granted, when in the state of Conflict, it's much more difficult to be thoughtful and meet each other's emotional needs. That's because the Taker's advice dominates the Giver's advice, and the Taker isn't interested in thoughtfulness or meeting someone else's needs. So if you want to return to Intimacy, you must override this instinct with great effort. Meeting an emotional need in marriage is easy when you are in the state of Intimacy, because the Giver encourages you to do just that. But in the state of Confict, it seems very unnatural and even unfair."

MelodyLane #2721209 04/22/13 03:01 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
So, to sum this up, I know he should be more affectionate with me, appreciate me more, keep what I want in mind when it comes to sex...however, there is no way I can make him do all this.

Would he agree to counsel with the Harleys? Most couples that show up here needing help have at least one reluctant spouse. Dr Harley's children, Dr Jennifer Chalmers and Steve Harley do counseling and they are very effective in persuading reluctant spouses to get on board. See, it is in your husbands best interest to have a happy, romantic marriage but he doesn't know how to achieve that. People buy things when they see a perceived benefit. They could show him how this program would benefit him.

The Harleys are completely different from other counselors in that they don't waste any time. They assess your situation and give you a plan. They are action oriented versus feeling oriented.

When women are depressed it is usually because of their marriage, by the way.

People makes suggestions like this because they have the knowledge and experience to see that you have not been successful at motivating your husband to meet your needs . Your marriage is sick, and after 20 years, it is getting worse. You can turn this around but having a 3rd party to help is better because obviously your husband doesn't see the benefit to listening to you.

The people here have nothing to gain by making these suggestions other than seeing lives change for the better.

aia1 #2721233 04/22/13 05:08 PM
D
D
I think this is were I am now, this decribes best what my situation is:
"If you set a good example by meeting your spouse's needs first, alas, that usually means that your own needs are met last. ... But if you resist that instinct to argue, and instead focus attention on behaving thoughtfully and meeting your spouse's needs, your spouse will be encouraged to reciprocate.

Aia, this seems like a good plan, but it doesn't always work. Your husband does may not follow your example because he doesn't see things the same way that you do. He will not automatically copy you if he sees no benefit. Just because it seems like the obvious path to a happy marriage for you, does not mean that it is HIS picture of happy. Thus, why would he follow your example?

Granted, when in the state of Conflict, it's much more difficult to be thoughtful and meet each other's emotional needs. That's because the Taker's advice dominates the Giver's advice, and the Taker isn't interested in thoughtfulness or meeting someone else's needs. So if you want to return to Intimacy, you must override this instinct with great effort. Meeting an emotional need in marriage is easy when you are in the state of Intimacy, because the Giver encourages you to do just that. But in the state of Confict, it seems very unnatural and even unfair."

Now you are thinking and learning. You are on the right track. But romantic love is present in the state of intimacy. And it takes 2 to get to intimacy. It doesn't sound like you will get to the state of MUTUAL intimacy and Romantic Love without some serious changes to both of your mindsets.

I know this because I lived for as long as you have, trying to figure out why my husband couldn't just follow my example to intimacy. He had a much different idea of marriage that shocked me when I really understood it, and his instincts were the opposite of mine. Go figure. Man. Woman. So, in order to make the habit changes, there must be a perceived benefit and an acknowledgement by BOTH that the marriage is sick, not just the faults of each being noticed.

You must follow the advice of those who have posted before me.

Oh. And by the way, don't forget to add large amounts of Vitamin D. Stress depletes it and it can have a huge impact on mood. Don't eat away the sadness. Walk. Just walk. You are beautiful, even if you don't lose the weight. Losing the weight will not solve your marital problems at this point, but it may fill your husband's love bank or at least give him one less thing to complain about. wink

DidntQuit #2721280 04/23/13 03:15 AM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you for your advice.
I know a 3th opinion would benefit, and I know people are only trying to help by recommending this, but my H is not up to this. Not now.
As for the changes I'm trying to make, I'm not sure I understand you. Form this site I got the idea that you can make your spouse fall in love with you again ( and then he would meet your needs) if you will meet his needs. So if I know he wants my slim and wants a clean house and conversation without me looking so sad all the time, then by fixing these problems he should change too. One spouse can determine the other back in the Intimacy state, or so I've read here. Am I wrong?

And if he's not, at least I'll know I did all I could.

Thanks.

aia1 #2721298 04/23/13 08:07 AM
M
M
Thank you for your advice.
I know a 3th opinion would benefit, and I know people are only trying to help by recommending this, but my H is not up to this. Not now.
As for the changes I'm trying to make, I'm not sure I understand you. Form this site I got the idea that you can make your spouse fall in love with you again ( and then he would meet your needs) if you will meet his needs. So if I know he wants my slim and wants a clean house and conversation without me looking so sad all the time, then by fixing these problems he should change too. One spouse can determine the other back in the Intimacy state, or so I've read here. Am I wrong?

And if he's not, at least I'll know I did all I could.

Thanks.

While it is possible to lure your H back into intimacy you will be far more effective if he provides input to what his ENs are and what he sees as your LBs. You can guess � good luck with that. I tried guessing what was blocking the romantic love in my M by myself for 10 years, attempting to apply what I learned on this site. It was ineffective. 2 months with my W and I talking with Dr J (Jennifer Chalmers) and our R is way different than it was before. We are definitely more in love and are more centered around providing care and protection of the M. The key being a mutual agreement to work this program.

You speaking for him in not participating in MB is NOT all you can do. I just want to point that out.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
MrAlias #2721309 04/23/13 08:38 AM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ok, but if he does not want to talk about it with someone else and said I should now what his needs are as he was telling me about them for years, what can I do? I can only assume things he complains about are the ones that are important to him. And I can try to fix them. It's going to be hard, and sure it would be better if he did the same about my needs, but I'm not sure what else I should do. He's a big guy, can't really force him smile

I started on vitaminB6 and magnezium today, did a little exercise yesterday, will try to keep sugar out of my 1200-1400 calories diet.
If you think there is something different that I should do, than let me know, because I don't. I'm just trying to do my part and keep things pleasant and calm at home.

aia1 #2721318 04/23/13 09:07 AM
M
M
but if he does not want to talk about it with someone else and said I should now what his needs are as he was telling me about them for years, what can I do?

The trouble with your plan is it is all one sided. You are going to Plan A his butt off by getting in shape, being more pleasant, taking better care of yourself, etc. Meanwhile you drain your tank trying to entice him into meeting your needs.

Your M could use some better behaviors. I would try to get him involved in learning about Dr. Harley's program. This may but doesn't have to include seeing a counselor. Not yet anyways.

Sure, let him know you�re going to work on a few things to improve the way you meet his needs but I�d be radically honest with him. Let him know your R is missing something. Some spark. Some Romance. Let him know some of your needs aren�t being taken care of. Let him know there are still some fundamental behaviors missing in your M that go above and beyond you not getting your needs met.

How much Undivided Attention time do you and him get during the week meeting the 4 intimate needs of Conversation, Affection, SF and Recreational Companionship? Serious alone time . No distractions. No kids. No other couples, etc. Just you and him interacting.

How Open and Honest (Policy of Radical Honesty - PORH) is your R?

Do you to have Independent Behaviors or do you make all decisions that are mutually enthusiastic to the both of you (POJA)?

Last edited by MrAlias; 04/23/13 09:08 AM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
MrAlias #2721321 04/23/13 09:12 AM
M
M
I really like what DidntQuit posted to you. The concept of MB is so foreign to most married couples. That's because most Ms don't have a plan or a recipe for success. They go into it with blind faith and unconditional love.

By the time the R starts to deteriorate most spouses have got their Taker out or they�re in such a Giver mode that neither is helping the R grow. Instead they enable more bad behaviors.

Dr. Harley�s program has a plan for all that. A marriage plan. Go figure. Who�d a thunk it.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
MrAlias #2721351 04/23/13 10:42 AM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I emailed him a while ago an article from this site. Asked ab out it later, he said he didn't have time to read. I insisted and he got upset with my "internet stuff", while to him it was clear what the problems are. S o what do you want me to do???
He knows I'm not happy and something is missing for me, but he said it's just what he feels. Or not feel, to be more exact. I will le him know I'm trying to change things, but I am not going to pressure him on the subject, maybe try with more subtile ways. I asked him today if he wants to go for a run when he gets home and he said sure.
And to answer a question we spend time together, don't know how many hours, walking, going out for dinner without the kids. I think we are open and honest and so far nothing happend in our family unless we both agree. Sometimes one of us will just give in, but at least we don't just go ahead and whatever.
I know you think he should participate from the beginning, I just don't think it will happend by talking. If he will see I'm serious about changing...maybe he'll do it too.

aia1 #2721362 04/23/13 11:18 AM
M
M
I emailed him a while ago an article from this site. Asked ab out it later, he said he didn't have time to read. I insisted and he got upset with my "internet stuff", while to him it was clear what the problems are. S o what do you want me to do???

Whoa. We certainly weren't recommending you make a demand. That's not the way to move things in a positive direction.

Please read this ---> When to tell your spouse "We have a problem."

You are going to keep getting the same advice here. Get yourself some professional help if you can't get your relunctant spouse on board.

If you can�t get him on board with a thoughtful request it is time for you to go solo with a professional from this site. They are very good at helping individuals getting their relunctant spouses on board. Your H needs to hear what is in it for him and they�ll help you get there.

Last edited by MrAlias; 04/23/13 11:20 AM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
aia1 #2721365 04/23/13 11:21 AM
M
M
Aia, I would also check out this article. In it, Dr H advises a woman in a similar situation. He has expounded on this advice on his radio show and told other women to give their husband a "Plan A" letter where she outlines how sad she is about the state of the marriage and tells him what she will need from him to be happy. She then does a fairly short Plan A. If he refuses to meet her needs, then separation is warranted. In the case study in this article, that is how the marriage was transformed. http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2264789#Post2264789

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2721374 04/23/13 11:55 AM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
My husband likes to talk to me, he's honest, provides a more than fine financiar support and is commited to the family. That's four needs out of five, as I am a typical woman. Just because he does not feel attracted to me now I'm not going to even think about separation. I think I was the one failling to meet his needs for many years. So I will try that plan A and if nothing happends maybe insist some more on couseling, as I know you are right to recommand it. Like I said, it will cost money and I can' t spend it without his agreement.
Maybe I'll say something about reading from this site, see what he will say.

Thank you for writing to me!

aia1 #2721384 04/23/13 12:30 PM
M
M
The whole point of meeting ENs in marriage is to create romance and happiness. If you are not happy then your needs are not being met effectively. (FS does not produce romantic love since it is not an intimate EN)

That is the whole point of the Plan A letter. To help your husband understand what it will take to make you happy.

i get the sense that you are not really looking for solutions but for easy, window dressing moves that will make you feel like you are doing something. Even with Plan A, that is not intended to be a way of life for conflict avoiders, but a very short term plan to prime the
pump. If it does not produce a result in a short period of time, Dr Harley recommends separation for the reasons explained in the article. Did you actually read the article?

You do understand that success is contingent upon taking ACTION? And I would not include blogging on that list.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2721392 04/23/13 01:28 PM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes, I read the article.
And I told him already many times what it will take to make me happy, he just can't feel like giving it to me. Do you really think just repeting myself in a letter will make the difference?

What I am trying to do is Not an easy move and I can only hope it's not more Action that I can handle. That is way I am on this forum. To get encoraged to meet my H 's needs, as it's said on this site it is what brings back the happiness.

aia1 #2721396 04/23/13 01:47 PM
M
M
Yes, I read the article.
And I told him already many times what it will take to make me happy, he just can't feel like giving it to me. Do you really think just repeting myself in a letter will make the difference?

Well, you won't know unless you try. How long are you willing to try Plan A? And what is your plan if he still refuses to meet our needs?

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2721402 04/23/13 02:09 PM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I don't know what I will do, but to have separation in mind would be very demotivating for me.
I don't know also for how long I can do it, I just started. And I hope my H will notice soon. Do you really advice that I plan for separation if he's not??

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 355 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation