Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
MrAlias #2721826 04/25/13 08:37 AM
M
M
FYI: Dark Chocolate is allowed in Stage 2 of SBD in moderation. Way less sugar.

FYI #2: I really like dark chocolate. But then I like bitters too (a good hoppie pale ale is right up my alley ... ugh that isn't good dietary commentary ... sorry). frown

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
MrAlias #2721827 04/25/13 08:42 AM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ok, that sounds better. I'll read about it.
Thanks for all the help and suport. Maybe it's what was missing before to help me get it done.

aia1 #2721830 04/25/13 08:52 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by aia1
No chocolate, no fruit, no milk or yogurt? Forever? That sounds really hard to me. Not sure I have what it takes.
I can understand abour sugar and forever.
I can see maybe give up on fruit for a while. But never eat it again? Not even an apple? Hard.
I think Paleo lets you eat yogurt and maybe a fruit per day, am I wrong?

(By the way, sorry if I make some mistakes, English is not my first language... )

You are asking the wrong questions. The question should be: is this healthy for me and can I lose weight and maintain it eating these foods? You can eat low GI fruits AFTER you have lost the weight if ou stick to the berry groups and eat it rarely. I personally never eat fruit because it sets up sugar cravings and jacks with my blood sugar.

You should never have chocolate again unless it is sugar free. I suspect you have a chocolate addiction, so that is more reason you should avoid it. When you don't have sugar, you don't miss it.

Yogurt is ok AFTER you have lost the weight if it is sugar free. All of these foods, fruit, chocolate, yogurt, make it much harder to lose weight because they spike your blood sugar. When your BS is spiked, it then drops and signals the brain that you are hungry.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

aia1 #2721831 04/25/13 08:55 AM
M
M
Aia, just learn to keep sugar out of your diet forever. Sugar is your enemy. It is unhealthy and will always cause weight gain. When you don't have sugar, you don't miss sugar.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2721834 04/25/13 08:59 AM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Like I said, I understand about sugar. I'll just have to do it.

aia1 #2721847 04/25/13 09:23 AM
M
M
Good girl. cool

Exposure 101

aia1 #2721856 04/25/13 09:52 AM
V
V
No chocolate, no fruit, no milk or yogurt? Forever? That sounds really hard to me. Not sure I have what it takes.
I can understand abour sugar and forever.
I can see maybe give up on fruit for a while. But never eat it again? Not even an apple? Hard.
I think Paleo lets you eat yogurt and maybe a fruit per day, am I wrong?

(By the way, sorry if I make some mistakes, English is not my first language... )

I was in your boat - 1000 - 1200 calorie diet (WW style, low fat, lots of fruit, Snackwells snacks, etc...), working out and gaining weight.

I went on Phentrimine, strict calorie reduction, very low carb, and I lost 30 lbs in 2 months. I then went off the diet pills, remained on the low carb diet, and I've dropped 62lbs in a year and kept it off. I'm from a size 18 to a size 10-12.

Starting this week I'm training for a triathalon.

Lindt 95% dark chocolate has 4g of sugar per serving and some Paleo people do eat that. I'm allergic to chocolate. I'm also Insulin resistant and other than some seasonal citrus I don't eat fruit. My body can't process it.

Now that I'm closer to my goal weight I do splurge and eat junk food, but I can go several weeks without eating it and not care.

Me: 30
Him: 39
Together 5 years
Married the very best man in the world 04/06/2013 after being common law for too long. I'm a lucky woman.
7 Cats - Viscount Ashley of Leftfield, Pawkie Petunia, The Timinator, Leo the Lionheart, Fruit Snack, Cloud, and Barret
And our very lucky pony, Starbucks
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
95%???? Why don't I just take a spoonfull of cocoa? Same thing smile
You all managed to convince me about this diet. I will start in the morning. Thanks.
And I will give him the letter over the weekend. My guess is he'll say he needs to see I'm serious about the changes. I'll let you know if I was right.

aia1 #2721859 04/25/13 10:28 AM
M
M
he'll say he needs to see I'm serious about the changes

Don't worry about what he says. Just focus on the task at hand.

GOOD LUCK on your new way of eating!!!!!

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
MrAlias #2721860 04/25/13 10:32 AM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you!

aia1 #2721864 04/25/13 10:49 AM
M
M
. My guess is he'll say he needs to see I'm serious about the changes. I'll let you know if I was right.

The point of the letter is to convey to him your unhappiness and to give him a plan to resolve this. You do I understand this, right? This needs to be a 2 way marriage, not a 1 sided one. Your goal is to have a happy marriage where both your needs are met. NOT one where he only meets your needs if his are met perfectly.

How about posting the letter and letting us give you feedback?

Do you have a shopping list and some menus made up for your diet? Sme good snacks would be cheese and beef jerky. A typical day or me looks like this:

Breakfast: 2 string cheese sticks

Lunch: turkey chef salad with cheese and blue cheese dressing, iced tea

Supper: grilled rib eye, green beans and homemade cole slaw

Get as much fat and protein as possible in your meals so you are never hungry. Just eat until satisfied, not stuffed. Getting hungry is what causes failures. The more fat you eat, the greater your metabolism. Add lots of real butter to your vegetables.

Do you like cheesecake? I have an awesome sugar free cheesecake recipe I can share. It is good for desserts and for breakfasts.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2721869 04/25/13 11:02 AM
W
W
ok ML

You can't go mentioning the cheesecake recipe without giving it out. I LOVE cheesecake but the sugar kills me.

MrRollieEyes

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
3 kids - DS19, DS17, DS12
MelodyLane #2721872 04/25/13 11:12 AM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes, I understand. But because I was never able to stick with a diet he'll probably need to see to believe.
I hope you don't mind, but I don't feel confortable posting the letter here. I can tell you what I plan to say in it. That I'm not happy in our marriage, I know he's not happy as well and I really like for us to do somthing about it. That I know the way I look is important to him and I am on a low carb diet and exercise program to fix this once and for all. That I will be a better companion for him and stop being so sensitive, as I know he likes to be able to tell me everything he does not like without me starting to cry. But I also need him to give me more affection and be more receptive to what I need and like, in bedroom and enywhete else in our marriage. That I think it's important and possible for both of us to be much happier.
What do you think?

Morning will be dificult, some cheese and nuts. Lunch will be some meat with salad, same for the dinner, some eggs sometimes. Sure I'd like that receipe.

aia1 #2721881 04/25/13 11:26 AM
H
H
Can you enlist his help?? One of the things I told him in one of our honest talks was that my body has changed. I just cannot eat bread or sweets anymore or at least very often at all. But I have no willpower either. I just don't. If I make a cake for the kids and hubby, then I will eat it!! The problem is he is 6 foot and 155 pounds!!! Stress and work keep him thin and he can eat whatever he wants. I cannot. I told him I really needed his help to understand that I couldn't fix things like I used to. (BTW, I lost 17 pounds last fall and have kept it off.) I told him that when I was in my 20's and 30's, I could just take it off with no problem. Not so much anymore. In fact, we went on a camping trip that was a long weekend. He bought oreos and several other no nos which i said was fine for the special trip with the kids. However, I gained 4 pounds on that 4 day weekend. Hubby watched me and he said, "You didn't eat all that much. Two oreos!) But I just REALLY have to limit what I eat. Meat is fine. Veggies are fine. I'll eat all I want of that. But chocolate and bread ( my favorite food group) are very sadly gone. But I had to have HIS help. When he saw what happened that weekend, he was even more supportive. He also tells me how wonderful and hot I look now. ( Admiration is my top need, so that is motivation as well.) What worked for us was seeing that we needed to be a team to do things that would benefit team (insert our last name).

Hope that helps. Losing the weight made a big difference to hubby. He is doing much, much better about meeting my needs in all sorts of different areas. I had to be honest, but then I also had to meet his. ( Keeping a clean house and losing weight were the two things he needed.)

We are off on a date in 30 minutes, so I'll leave you with that!

Wow777 #2721884 04/25/13 11:29 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Wow777
ok ML

You can't go mentioning the cheesecake recipe without giving it out. I LOVE cheesecake but the sugar kills me.

MrRollieEyes

I will post it tonight when I get home. It is awesome!

Exposure 101

A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
He is suportive as my looks are very important to him. He'll do anything I ask of him about that.
Your post is good for my motivation. I actually think me being thin will change him a lot.

Have a nice date!

aia1 #2721889 04/25/13 11:38 AM
M
M
Yes, I understand. But because I was never able to stick with a diet he'll probably need to see to believe.
I hope you don't mind, but I don't feel confortable posting the letter here. I can tell you what I plan to say in it. That I'm not happy in our marriage, I know he's not happy as well and I really like for us to do somthing about it. That I know the way I look is important to him and I am on a low carb diet and exercise program to fix this once and for all. That I will be a better companion for him and stop being so sensitive, as I know he likes to be able to tell me everything he does not like without me starting to cry. But I also need him to give me more affection and be more receptive to what I need and like, in bedroom and enywhete else in our marriage. That I think it's important and possible for both of us to be much happier.
What do you think?

Morning will be dificult, some cheese and nuts. Lunch will be some meat with salad, same for the dinner, some eggs sometimes. Sure I'd like that receipe.

I understand it might not be comfortable posting the letter but we can be a great help in making sure it is understandable and concise.

Why will mornings be difficult? Do you need some ideas? Eggs are an excellent low carb food so you can eat as many as you want. I love scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2721893 04/25/13 11:42 AM
M
M
Also, just expect to feel shaky the first week. You will go Into junk food withdrawal and your body will be shifting from glucose metabolism to fat metabolism. Just don't allow yourself to get hungry. Keep plenty of low carb snacks on hand, cheese, almonds, beef jerky, hard boiled eggs.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2721894 04/25/13 11:44 AM
M
M
If you have a kindle, there are lots of great low carb cookbooks on amazon. My favorite is Dana carpenters 500 low carb recipes.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2721896 04/25/13 11:50 AM
A
aia1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Well, I don't know. I guess I'm just not used to be so open. But it will be exactly what I said, in exactlly that way and that many words, not more. If you can't give me an opinion based on this info I'll try to post the letter. But I prefer not to.

I am not a morning person and for years I've been eating cereal or something light and sweet for breakfast. Just thinking of eggs or cheese or, worse, meat just make me want to screem first thing in the morning. Maybe I'll need to get use to eat a little later, after I really wake up.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 239 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation