Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
H
H
We were posting at the same time. Did you see my question about UA time?

M
M
Originally Posted by Wow777
JC's (generously translated): So, how's she doing?
She's doing some things very well. Such as helping with the finances, and general care of wher I am in the healing process. She asks me how I am doing and shows concern if I tell her about the dreams. She regularly asks if there is anything she can do to help. Sometimes there will be something, sometimes not. I'm open about those too.

Other things like affection I seem to have to initiate. Like holding hands, snuggling at night, etc.

As far as #2 being a stretch, its not really a stretch for me. I consider it JC because she never told me before the affair what I was doing to driver her away. Does she owe me the consideration of telling me what I can/should change so I dont continue to driver her away? I think so but I may be stretching the definition of JC.

I see it as "To compensate you for my allowing your behavior to go unchanged, I'm going to be open with you about what upsets me so I dont feel like a POS by you anymore". Yes, she can compensate me by taking responsibility for not being strong enough to tell me.

Where exactly ARE you in the Marriage Builders program, though? Which books are you using? Where are you exactly? Do you have the workbook?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
Have you read about Respectful Persuasion in Lovebusters yet?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

W
Wow777 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
OK, here goes. ML & TW45, I'll try to answer both of you at once.

We go between 2-3 hours of UA time a day. We do chores, work in the yard, play cards, talk about our day, go out to dinner, go for walks and other exercise. Some of the top ENs get met but others dont. For example, SF is not getting met and thats mostly on me. I'm struggling with it a lot because of the dreams that I'm having.

As far as her resentment about the fire dept. This gets into the DJ area so I've been careful not to give my full blown opinion too often here.

WW grew up in a family of volunteer fireman/EMTs. Her dad was a long time member of his dept and an EMT instructor. WW, along with her mother and sister, participated in the ladies auxillary.

Now, growing up, WW always wanted to be a part of the action which back then was a mans world. Fast forward to 2009 when WW went thru EMT school. She got a ton of affirmation from me but virtually NO affirmation from her father. She struggled with this even though she denies it. Yes, this may be a DJ but I got to watch, front row, every time she told her father about another accomplishment and her father changed the subject and completely disregarded her. The looks on her face and her demeaner would change for hours or sometimes days until she just "got passed" it. Over time, she had many firsts as an EMT. Her first CPR case, her first CPR save, her first life star (helo) call, her first DOA, all of which were very exciting for her. Her father's response... NOTHING!!! He changes the subject to the step mothers grand children or something else equally annoying. Later, she got promoted to Lieutenant and the same reaction from daddy. After Firefighter school, same thing. She has been so disappointed by this. Everytime I show her the greatest admiration, respect and esteem it seems to have no impact, especially after she talks to her dad. I think this is where her insecurity comes from.

So (another DJ maybe), I think her resentment towards me stems from the fact that I took the vehicle (fire dept) away from her so now she can't get his approval. She has told me that she lost her dream when she had to quit the fire dept. I say that this may be a DJ because she denies the issue with her father exists. I cannot discuss this with her at all though as it causes her to get REALLY mad that I would suggest that she has father issues...

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
3 kids - DS19, DS17, DS12
W
Wow777 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
ML, we have read SAA, I'm reading LB and she is reading HNHN right now. We do have the workbook but haven't started it yet.

Prisca, I haven't gotten to it yet. I plan to get through that part tonight.

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
W
Wow777 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by markos
A note about understanding:

You need to understand that this is a problem.

You don't need to understand why it's a problem. You don't need to understand why your wife feels the way she does in order to stop behavior that is making love bank withdrawals.

This is EXACTLY what I am trying to do. I dont care why its a problem, I've been saying all along that I want to know what I'm doing so I can stop it.

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
H
H

We go between 2-3 hours of UA time a day. We do chores, work in the yard, play cards, talk about our day, go out to dinner, go for walks and other exercise. Some of the top ENs get met but others dont. For example, SF is not getting met and thats mostly on me. I'm struggling with it a lot because of the dreams that I'm having.

As far as her resentment about the fire dept. This gets into the DJ area so I've been careful not to give my full blown opinion too often here.

WW grew up in a family of volunteer fireman/EMTs. Her dad was a long time member of his dept and an EMT instructor. WW, along with her mother and sister, participated in the ladies auxillary.

Now, growing up, WW always wanted to be a part of the action which back then was a mans world. Fast forward to 2009 when WW went thru EMT school. She got a ton of affirmation from me but virtually NO affirmation from her father. She struggled with this even though she denies it. Yes, this may be a DJ but I got to watch, front row, every time she told her father about another accomplishment and her father changed the subject and completely disregarded her. The looks on her face and her demeaner would change for hours or sometimes days until she just "got passed" it. Over time, she had many firsts as an EMT. Her first CPR case, her first CPR save, her first life star (helo) call, her first DOA, all of which were very exciting for her. Her father's response... NOTHING!!! He changes the subject to the step mothers grand children or something else equally annoying. Later, she got promoted to Lieutenant and the same reaction from daddy. After Firefighter school, same thing. She has been so disappointed by this. Everytime I show her the greatest admiration, respect and esteem it seems to have no impact, especially after she talks to her dad. I think this is where her insecurity comes from.

So (another DJ maybe), I think her resentment towards me stems from the fact that I took the vehicle (fire dept) away from her so now she can't get his approval. She has told me that she lost her dream when she had to quit the fire dept. I say that this may be a DJ because she denies the issue with her father exists. I cannot discuss this with her at all though as it causes her to get REALLY mad that I would suggest that she has father issues...

I would gently, and honestly, talk to her about no longer giving her dad so much of her life to spit on.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
P
P
I say that this may be a DJ because she denies the issue with her father exists. I cannot discuss this with her at all though as it causes her to get REALLY mad that I would suggest that she has father issues...
So stop suggesting she has father issues. It is a DJ to try to diagnose your spouse's feelings or actions. Don't discuss it anymore.

And really, it doesn't matter if it's father issues or not. As Melody said, her resentment will disappear when she has better things in your marriage.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

H
H
I agree. That will be HER work that SHE will have to do. You can't do it for her and can't make her. concentrate on FUN UA time. Plus, if you are the one filling her big need for admiration then it won't matter so much anymore anyway. Just ACT. Don't use that as an excuse for you not to do anything.

Originally Posted by Prisca
I say that this may be a DJ because she denies the issue with her father exists. I cannot discuss this with her at all though as it causes her to get REALLY mad that I would suggest that she has father issues...
So stop suggesting she has father issues. It is a DJ to try to diagnose your spouse's feelings or actions. Don't discuss it anymore.

And really, it doesn't matter if it's father issues or not. As Melody said, her resentment will disappear when she has better things in your marriage.

M
M

How about affection, conversation, recreational companionship and sexual fulfillment? Are these exciting dates where you are focused on EACH OTHER and there is no one else around? Where are your kids during these hours?

Good. At least you know what she doesn't want to talk about and know not to bring up unpleasant subjects. As far as her resentment, it will fade when she starts getting her "dream" from her marriage. That is the whole goal here.

The goal is to create a romantic, passionate marriage in the PLACE of the hole left by the affair. If that does not happen, you will be feeling resentment for years to come. You will resent the lack of just compensation and feel cheated, and she will resent the things she had to "sacrifice" for you.

Do you see where I am going with this?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
ML, we have read SAA, I'm reading LB and she is reading HNHN right now. We do have the workbook but haven't started it yet.

You have read them, but have you IMPLEMENTED them? They don't work just by reading them. I also "read" the books and posted on the forums for years. My marriage didn't improve much until we started DOING everything.

Where are you on the policy of joint agreement? If Dr Harley gave you both the lovebank inventory test today [that measures your romantic love] where do you think you both would rank?

Exposure 101

P
P
You have read them, but have you IMPLEMENTED them? They don't work just by reading them. I also "read" the books and posted on the forums for years. My marriage didn't improve much until we started DOING everything.
Same here. Knowledge alone, without action, will only make things worse.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
About the father issue, don't bring it up ever again because you would be psychoanalyzing your wife. That is a huge lovebuster.

Exposure 101

H
H
One more thing and then I'm off until probably Wednesday. I agree with Melody. You can't bring it up, but I do think it will help you to understand. And doing the things they mentioned actually doing the steps MIGHT allow her to see it for herself. For example, I realized it a couple of weekends ago. I was making biscuits. Hubby came in and visited with me. I can't remember what was going on the night before but for whatever reason the kitchen was a MESS. I had been doing so well to try and keep it clean. Hubby just started cleaning it up and chatting with me. I almost started crying because I felt like a failure. He shouldn't have to do that. He works so hard He should just sit. But then I thought. Wait a minute he isn't mad at you. He helped make the mess, why am I feeling like a failure when he is just helping out. I saw that it was my problem that I needed to deal with. He wasn't doing ANYTHING wrong and yet I was crying because he was cleaning the kitchen!!!

So she will eventually see her own stuff if you clean up your side of the street and don't love bust. Just clean up your side of the street and let her worry about her own.

M
M
I'm going to repeat this, because it might have gotten missed:

My number one recommendation is this: become a daily listener of Dr. Harley's radio show, because that's the only real place you'll get his raw, unfiltered advice

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I'm going to repeat this, because it might have gotten missed:

My number one recommendation is this: become a daily listener of Dr. Harley's radio show, because that's the only real place you'll get his raw, unfiltered advice

This transformed me from a person of little understanding to someone who understood the program inside and out. WOW, you said you have to have a good understanding of the steps you take, well, here it is!! you will be amazed at how Dr Harley takes people through these steps. He takes his principles and applies them to specific situations, explaining his reasons all along the way. Listening to the radio show opened it all up for me.

Please follow Markos' excellent recommendation.

Exposure 101

D
D
I listen to it during my daily drive to work. Doing it with your WW would be nice. I read on a thread that someone does with their spouse and afterwards talk about the subjects. I think that would benefit you greatly.

W
Wow777 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Like I said, I am no longer discussing this with her as it is a major love buster. It's been 3 months since it has been brought up

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
W
Wow777 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
We're listening to MB radio now

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
M
M
We're listening to MB radio now

Good man!! hurray

Exposure 101

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation