Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 4
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 4
My wife and I just started MB online about 1 month ago. I want to meet my wife's emotional needs. One of her major needs is Honesty and Openness. I have a very serious problem with the temptation to look at women. I am even tempted to look when I think it might be a woman. I work in a place where there are quite a few women around. So whether it is going from the car in the parking lot or up where I actually work there is this constant temptation. I tell my wife all of the details of the times when I am tempted to look at a woman whether at work, or at the store, or in a car driving beside us. It is extremely important for me to meet her need for honesty and openness. Everyday I usually have several temptations or times when I actually look at women, but I do not totally know how to eliminate this issue out of my life. I work at it very hard--bouncing my eyes, going away from where women are, avoiding things on tv,etc,---I want to be a blessing to my wife even further in this area---but I do not know how to get rid of the temptations in my mind or in daily life. This is not just an occasional issues but almost constantly when in public where other women are around. Now also please understand that my wife is also very attractive and keeps herself in very good appearance physically. I changed to a guy manager at work and request not to set by women. I am open to any advice and/or behavioral changes I need to make.I want to meed my wife's most important emotional needs. Thank you!

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 35,996
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 35,996
Please elaborate what you mean when you say "look at".

Do you mean that you are tempted to ogle random women in order to lust over them?

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Hi John! Welcome to Marriage Builders! Did you read Dr. Harley's advice to you over on the private forum?

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
As is the case with any behavior, the more you repeat it, the more firmly established it becomes as a habit. So something you enjoy doing is likely to be repeated, and that makes it likely to become a strong habit. You've been looking over women (gawking) for some time now, so it will be difficult to change that habit, but I know of many men who have been successful.

The easiest approach, of course, is to avoid being around women, so changing managers was a good idea. Events where particularly attractive women are present (sporting events --cheerleaders--, shopping centers, TV featuring attractive women, etc.) should be avoided. As for the other women at work, you will have to practice deliberately looking away. If you can't do it, you may need to change jobs to one where attractive women are not present.

I draw an important distinction between glancing and gawking. Glancing at women is inevitable unless no women are present. I view glancing as a look no longer than one second. Five seconds is my absolute upper limit for looking before it becomes gawking, but in your case, your wife may find even a five-second look to be offensive to her. So I would encourage you to limit your glances to one second, which will give you enough time to recognize that the person as a woman and that you would then look away. The more you practice that behavior, the easier it will be to do.

Gawking is offensive to most wives. They don't want other women to be making Love Bank deposits, even if those women will never be seen again. They want their husband's Love Bank to be closed to women who could meet their important emotional needs and be open to them exclusively.


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,704
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,704
I'm curious like Pepper. I don't know if you can help it with glancing at women but if you're staring at them and checking them out, that's another issue. If you're checking women out, the answer is easy -- stop it.


Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)


Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 301 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Separation
by elambush - 09/04/26 11:24 PM
beverage sizes in large office
by elambush - 09/04/26 11:22 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0