Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
P
Originally Posted by Devastated2013
I actually find some comfort in the fact that they all follow a pattern. Makes his INSANE choices at least make some sort of sense. I have read and read and compiled a list and talked with friends all day. But the more I thought about it and the more I am coming to realize just exactly what it is that he has done to me, our marriage and our children--not to mention the completely cruel way that he has reacted to my discovery....more lies, games, fence sitting, blaming me, anger, annoyance etc. and to now realize that he has continued at least some part of their relationship in the 6 weeks that he has been back here. I am just feeling realy fed up and I just don't know if this is a man that I want in my life. His actions are utterly dispicable and I deserve better than this. He is not a person deserving of the amazing family and life that we had. Has anyone else gone through that on their road to reconciliation?

Yes and here is an article about it.

Originally Posted by What are Plan A and Plan B
But your effort to end the affair with thoughtfulness and care, and even exposure, doesn't always work. In many cases a wayward spouse is so trapped by the addiction that he or she does not have the will-power to do the right thing. Once in a while the fog lifts and the cruelty and tragedy of the affair hits the wayward spouse right between the eyes. In a moment of grief and guilt, he or she promises to end it. But then the pain of withdrawal symptoms often brings back the fog with all its excuses and rationalization, and the affair is on again.

Affairs are an addiction and until you EXPOSE and remove all the conditions that made the affair possible, you will have no chance of recovering your marriage.

Expose to the gym, the OW parents, and anyone of influence in your WH life. Ask for their support in helping the waywards end their cruel and selfish behaviour.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

P
P

The article continues

Originally Posted by What are Plan A and Plan B?
Sometimes a wayward spouse settles into a routine of having his or her cake and eating it too. In an effort to win the wayward spouse back, the betrayed spouse meets emotional needs that the lover cannot meet, while the lover meets emotional needs that the betrayed spouse has not learned to meet. While this competition is excruciatingly painful to the betrayed spouse, and the lover as well, the wayward spouse basks in the warmth of being loved and cared for by two people, with no real motivation to choose one over the other.

So, to avoid an indefinite period of suffering while a wayward spouse vacillates between spouse and lover, and to avoid rewarding the selfish behavior of having needs met by both spouse and lover, if plan A does not work within a reasonable period of time, I recommend plan B.

Plan B is for the betrayed spouse to avoid all contact with the wayward spouse until the affair has completely ended and the wayward spouse has agreed to my plan for recovery. In many cases, once an affair has ended, a betrayed spouse makes the mistake of taking the wayward spouse back before an agreement is made regarding marital recovery. This leads to a return to all the conditions that made the affair possible -- love is not restored, resentment is not overcome, and there is a very great risk for another affair. Without agreement and subsequent implementation of a plan for recovery, the betrayed spouse is better off continuing with plan B.

Here is a link to the entire article
here

Have you bought the book SAA yet?

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

I
I
I actually find some comfort in the fact that they all follow a pattern.

They all turn into the same person. And he is not the man you once knew, now he's an addict. He remains an addict until No Contact has been in place for some time and he is through withdrawal.

For example his traits are typical

Using a separation to continue the affair = typical
Blaming the betrayed spouse for not meeting needs, demonising her as being unforgiving and offering 'hell' in the future = typical.
Vowing one course of action one day, changing their mind the next = typical.

You might find the following thread useful for seeing just how predictable his behaviour is.

Never Take the Word of a Wayward

You must stop listening to his rambling and excuses. You would get more sense from the town drunk. He will say anything right now to keep his cake eating with two women going. He has no idea what he wants, so it is silly to ask him.

If you listen to him, he will just keep you on the Betrayed Spouses's see saw of heartbreak. One day he will promise to quit seeing her, nthe ext day he will blame you for being a harridan and say you are not worth it.

It is time to stop talking and start doing. Exposure - a good one with all targets hit QUICKLY - is what must be done next.

Stop talking, start acting. An addict will not pay attention to anything less.

Please expose fully and completely having read the exposure thread for instructions on how to do it EFFECTIVELY.

Don't do a half-effort exposure, that does not work. Do it right.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

D
OP Offline
D
I haven't bought the book yet. I have two small children at home for the summer and not a lot of free time. So I have been reading on here and thinking things through over and over in my mind trying to come up with the best plan.

My WH has a lot of insecurities but covers them up with bravado and arrogance. This OW is supremely unattractive (my WH is quite handsome) and it is obvious to me that she is just feeding his ego like crazy.

Yesterday, in addition to reading and planning, I went and bought the sexiest dress his money could buy for an event I am going to without him tomorrow night:) I plan on walking out of this house and leaving his jaw on the floor. I also booked an appointment with my OB. That's going to be a hard discussion since he has delivered our children.

MY WH has been out of town for work this week but is due back today. I have really enjoyed the peace of him being gone, me left with my thoughts and babies and not one time did I have to worry about whether he was with her or not. If only I could get to that place all the time.

Question about exposure: Is it still as effective if WH doesn't know it was me that exposed everything? I'd really like to expose without being on the receiving end of any more of his anger. And yes, I have laughed many times at how many of you have said how resistant I would be to exposure and that I would fight it. So true, so true. I want to do it so bad but am scared that it will be the nail in the coffin of my marriage. So will the afair. I am stuck in an impossible situation. Any success stories with exposure that anyone would like to share?

I am also having a hard time deciding if I should do Plan A or just go to Plan B. I have been doing a Plan A of sorts before I discovered this site. But not with full exposure. I am just SO done with this whole situation! It is so monumentally unfair to me and to our babies. Ugh.....

P
P
I want to do it so bad but am scared that it will be the nail in the coffin of my marriage. So will the afair. I am stuck in an impossible situation.

The only thing you will have to lose by exposing will be a loveless and uncaring marriage.

Your WH and OW are living in a fantasy.

Exposure and a dose of reality are your most powerful weapon.

Plan B also requires exposure. Without it, your WH and OW will be free to make up stories about why you left WH and how they began their relationship. It gives them a free ride to carry on as usual without any accountability or consequences.

I am a little shocked that you won't expose this POSOW who is assaulting your marriage.

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

E
E
I also booked an appointment with my OB. That's going to be a hard discussion since he has delivered our children.

My OB told me to divorce my husband, lol. Don't worry about it, they have hear it all.

E
E
Question about exposure: Is it still as effective if WH doesn't know it was me that exposed everything? I'd really like to expose without being on the receiving end of any more of his anger. And yes, I have laughed many times at how many of you have said how resistant I would be to exposure and that I would fight it. So true, so true. I want to do it so bad but am scared that it will be the nail in the coffin of my marriage. So will the afair. I am stuck in an impossible situation. Any success stories with exposure that anyone would like to share?

I am also having a hard time deciding if I should do Plan A or just go to Plan B. I have been doing a Plan A of sorts before I discovered this site. But not with full exposure. I am just SO done with this whole situation! It is so monumentally unfair to me and to our babies. Ugh.....

Dont be afraid of exposure. Keep your head up, you want people to know that you are fighting for your marriage. Exposure includes asking people to support you and your marriage.

D
OP Offline
D
It's definitely not that I won't expose her. Exposing her for being the homewrecking POS that she is will be the greatest feeling and I can't wait for that! I guess I just feel like I need to be fully prepared mentally and emotionally for the posibility that WH will be so angry with me for doing this that he will walk away. I truly feel that will be his reaction, so I want to be ready for it and have already accepted it to try to minimize my own emotional breakdown as much as I can. When D Day happened, I took it REALLY hard. I don't want to go back to that dark place. My babies need me. My dad always used to say "You have to get your mind right, kid!" And I do. My mind is a mess.

M
M
Your marriage will survive his anger, but it won't survive an ongoing affair.

Just so you know, all waywards get really mad after exposure. Expect it. It's typical. Afterall, you are taking his crack pipe away.

Maybe you dread it so bad because you're afraid you'll have to defend yourself to him. There is a solution for that, so you won't feel the dread of arguing with him.

All you need to do is keep one mantra in mind to say over and over again, when he comes storming in, and you can use the same mantra for days and weeks. Say something along the lines of "I am fighting for our marriage" and leave it at that. DO NOT get into a discussion with him about it. DO NOT apologize to him either. Speak you one sentence line and then go do something else, ignoring the rest of his angry fogbabble.

When you ignore the angry fog babble, after your one liner, your wayward will probably go take his anger out on the affair partner. That's what you want. Don't be his punching bag.

Every one here has felt better after the deed is done. I'm betting you will too. Plus, it's really fun to watch to affair implode.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010
Him-several affairs, last one 3/2011
Divorced filed 3/2011, final 3/2012

Formerly "Mopey".
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2013149&page=1

After a 4 yr FR, it became CLEAR to me of what you can look for in a FR. And that is the absence of POJA, and/or if your spouse tramples on your boundaries. If someone is not willing to do POJA with you, and they don't respect your boundaries, imo, the relationship is doomed.
I
I
He is SUPPOSED to be angry. His mind is wired wrong and you need shock and awe to kill the addict alien and free your REAL husband inside.

Do you think your REAL husband will be upset with YOU because HE had an affair and you are attcking the OW?

Many waywards also spin it to each other as uncaring when nothing is done.

He will be furious. He will spit venom. That's marvellous. That's what you want.

Airily reply you are sorry his affair is proving troublesome - bit do NOT apologise for exposure.

If he is NOT spitting mad than your exposure has not been good enough.

You need to fire a rocket under him.

Stop being cowed by his threats to leave you.

He cheated!

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

P
P
When D Day happened, I took it REALLY hard. I don't want to go back to that dark place. My babies need me. My dad always used to say "You have to get your mind right, kid!" And I do. My mind is a mess.

I get this Devastated. I remember that I was ready to check myself into the local psych ward except that the OW in my situation was a psych nurse and I was afraid I would run into her there.

The best way to get your mind right is to educate yourself about affairs and how to recover from them. This knowledge will give you strength to do what you need because you will then understand why certain things are effective and others are not.

Get the book and read it. If you have the time to buy dresses and go out, then you have the time to educate yourself and learn how to take control of your life. Right now your WH is in complete control.

here

His anger at exposure is a good thing. That is his moral compass talking. Don't engage...no matter what he throws at you. His anger will pass.

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation