Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
M
Your wife's delayed honesty sounds a lot like what my instincts led me to do about honesty, at first! Thankfully I think we are getting better about that around here. I realized a week ago I was doing something Prisca didn't want me doing, and told her about it immediately. Prisca's got a rule for herself that if she ever thinks "That's something I don't want markos to know," she tells me immediately.

The "marry me" comment sounds like just the kind of idiotic thing I might have said a few years ago. Now I realize it's not even close to funny. I am glad you guys thought to report him - reading your story I didn't think of that solution at first. And truly, when you come down to it - that's harassment.

It sounds to me like you guys handled this well, although some of the important habits are probably still a little awkward.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
My wife told me about it, but deliberately picked a time when I wasn�t really paying attention as she could sneak it under the wire.
I have to ask, why weren't you really paying attention when your wife was trying to tell you something?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

L
L
Originally Posted by mrEureka
I�m back on my original thread to tell you about an incident that happened last week, and how we handled it (or in some ways, mishandled it).

Things have been going just great for us. We moved seven months ago, and have built a new life here that the whole family is very happy with. I am now retired and I spend my time writing software, keeping the house in order, and providing primary care for our autistic son. My wife is working at her new job. It is there where the story starts.

There is a local festival, like a county fair, that is held every fall. My wife decided she wants to try her luck at the baking contest. She has been trying new recipes and taking them to work. There she leaves cards out for people to write their opinions. She had one desert that she made that I tried some of (I�m an insulin-dependent diabetic so I really shouldn�t be eating lots of high glycemic-index foods) and I know for a fact was quite spectacular. Somebody left a comment card that said only �Marry Me�. My wife told me about it, but deliberately picked a time when I wasn�t really paying attention as she could sneak it under the wire. Several days later, a guy cornered her when nobody else was around and revealed himself as the perpetrator. She waited another day, and then told me about that directly. Her reason for the delay was that she was afraid I would just tell her to stop taking in deserts to work, and she didn�t want to stop. My actual reaction was to say that I am not going to �tell� you to do anything; this is something we need to discuss and find a mutual enthusiastic agreement.

We had a POJA discussion, the result of which was a decision that she should report the incident to her work supervision and let the organization handle it. The guy ended up having to apologize.

At this point, I could just you what I carried away from all of this, but I�d rather hear what you have to say first.

Your wife inadvertently met a man's need for Domestic Support who either didn't know she was married or didn't care that she was married.

Sort of like a guy we once knew who was single at that time - he received a professional massage from a woman masseuse and told us he had sighed in deep pleasure, murmuring "Will you marry me?" He didn't really mean it, he said, but the massage made him feel really great. Perhaps like the man who tried your wife's delicious dessert and associated those feelings of pleasure with your wife.

Your wife should have been immediately radically honest and shared with you right away what had happened. That she waited to tell you is troubling, but she at least didn't wait long.

I bake lots of kinds of bread; that's my thing. I love baking bread and making it better and better each time. And when people eat it and compliment me, I love that, too. It's great getting all that admiration. If a man was to enjoy the bread I make and then give me glowing compliments, asking me, even jokingly, to marry him, that would deposit some major love units with me. (Although he would have a tough time competing with my H, who very successfully meets my need for admiration.) Did his compliment do the same for your wife?

If so, then she likely ought to only bake for a select few, who include only women.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
P
P
Your wife should have been immediately radically honest and shared with you right away what had happened. That she waited to tell you is troubling, but she at least didn't wait long.
If you make radical honesty safe for her (I assume you didn't have an AO or DJ), then she will eventually not fear it and will begin to see it as something intimate.

Since she does seem to fear it now, I would suggest she set a rule for herself similar to the one I have: If, at any time, I find myself thinking "I don't want markos to know about this because ..." I tell him immediately, regardless of how much it may frighten me.

Last edited by Prisca; 07/20/13 10:36 AM.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
She waited another day, and then told me about that directly. Her reason for the delay was that she was afraid I would just tell her to stop taking in deserts to work, and she didn�t want to stop. My actual reaction was to say that I am not going to �tell� you to do anything; this is something we need to discuss and find a mutual enthusiastic agreement.

We had a POJA discussion, the result of which was a decision that she should report the incident to her work supervision and let the organization handle it. The guy ended up having to apologize.

Mr Eureka. Recovering from affairs and learning to shore up those boundaries is one giant learning curve. It sounds like you did a good job in demonstrating that you are safe to approach. Good job!

There will always be people out there in everyday life who are clueless about boundaries. It is important to learn how to shut them down and send a clear message to that person that you are married and then take the action to strengthen that weak boundary that allowed someone to break through.

Mrs. Eureka. "My husband will not be happy to hear that you want to marry me."

If your wife is bringing in baked goods and inviting compliments or opinions from others, she cannot control what their response will be. Some responses may be what she feels are inappropriate. So stop doing the things that is inviting those type of responses. That is how the marriage is protected. That is strengthening the boundaries.

My FWH came home last week with a chocolate chip cookie that the receptionist gave to him. He thanked her and told her that he would take it home to share with his wife who loves cc cookies. I was proud of him. A few years ago his response would have been "Thank you that cookie was delicious." It was a learning process for him to get to this point. It took time and patience.

Just for the record, my DD 15 loves to bake and all the boys tell her that they want to marry her... even the boys who like boys. We don't know if your wife's colleague had an agenda or not..but it seems clear that your FWW has some work to do on learning how to shut down people that are crossing the line. Those people with poor boundaries will always be out there.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
If you make radical honesty safe for her (I assume you didn't have an AO or DJ), then she will eventually not fear it and will begin to see it as something intimate.

Since she does seem to fear it now, I would suggest she set a rule for herself similar to the one I have: If, at any time, I find myself thinking "I don't want markos to know about this because ..." I tell him immediately, regardless of how much it may frighten me.
I have never been one to have AOs.

What my wife thought at first was that it was no big deal. As she thought about it more, she realized she should tell me, but didn't want to upset me. So, she told me when she knew I wasn't really listening. When the guy cornered her, that is when she knew that telling me for real was unavoidable. The delay after that was her trying to find the right moment.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
M
M
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
If a man was to enjoy the bread I make and then give me glowing compliments, asking me, even jokingly, to marry him, that would deposit some major love units with me. (Although he would have a tough time competing with my H, who very successfully meets my need for admiration.) Did his compliment do the same for your wife?

If so, then she likely ought to only bake for a select few, who include only women.
She found the remark harassing. She works in a nearly all female workplace. The comment really was sexual harassment; proven by the fact that he cornered her later. That is why he was reported.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
P
P
I got that impression smile

What my wife thought at first was that it was no big deal. As she thought about it more, she realized she should tell me, but didn't want to upset me. So, she told me when she knew I wasn't really listening. When the guy cornered her, that is when she knew that telling me for real was unavoidable. The delay after that was her trying to find the right moment.
Some suggestions to think about ... In addition to your wife working on radical honesty, it would be a good idea for you to work on dropping what ever you are doing to listen to her when she speaks to you. If, for some reason you CAN'T do that at the moment, then say a "Give me 15 minutes, Hon, then I can give you my attention ..." Or something along those lines. Make a point to listen whenever she has something to say. This is something you can do to prevent a situation where she can try to tell you something when you aren't really listening.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
I got that impression smile

Some suggestions to think about ... In addition to your wife working on radical honesty, it would be a good idea for you to work on dropping what ever you are doing to listen to her when she speaks to you. If, for some reason you CAN'T do that at the moment, then say a "Give me 15 minutes, Hon, then I can give you my attention ..." Or something along those lines. Make a point to listen whenever she has something to say. This is something you can do to prevent a situation where she can try to tell you something when you aren't really listening.
Unfortunately, non-listening is a survival skill when you live with an autistic person. Both of us do it. My wife sometimes complains at me that I am better than her at it when our son starts to get to her and I seem unbothered. I need to work on selective tuning.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (Abela Laye, 1 invisible), 151 guests, and 155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860
71,843 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation