Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 33 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 32 33
Prisca #2746423 07/30/13 03:46 PM
P
P
another thing that was suggested in BS's thread was doing one of the online courses.
I STRONGLY suggest this for you.
Markos and I did the online course. We were given a coach to help guide us, and we had direct access to Dr. Harley on the private forum. It was the best investment we have ever made for our marriage.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

mrs_cen #2746425 07/30/13 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by mrs_cen
I see what your saying, I don't have any "timeline" on how long it will take him to "recover".

MB requires teamwork! However, much of his timeline to R is predicated on your involvement and doing your part of the MB program.

Your actions are in direct correlation with his 'timeline' to R. Realistically, 2-5 years.

Expect 2 steps forward and then 3 steps back...2 steps back then 4 steps forward...on and on.

It is a process.

Prisca #2746426 07/30/13 03:54 PM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
What are you doing to work on the 3rd? - We are now reading LB together, and working most on how to handle our emotions, especially when we are upset. Making sure with each and every decision there is to be made - we are doing it as a couple and with POJA.
What do you do when one of you is not enthusiastic about something?

How much UA are you getting? - ?
This is a big problem. Marriage Builders will not work without UA, and it is vital that you get enough hours of UA. As HHH said above, you two need a minimum of 20 hours a week together. You need to start scheduling your time together and tracking your time together to insure you are getting the time in.

How many dates do the 2 of you go on? Doing what? We try for a few a week, sometimes it's early morning - to walk the dog and get coffee, sometimes to the mall, antique markets
Do you both enjoy these activities? Your dates need to concentrate on the 4 intimate Emotional Needs: Intimate Conversation, Recreational Companionship, Affection and Sexual Fulfillment. Are the two of you concentrating on these, and are they enjoyable?

How is POJA and PORH going? We are doing well with it
I have seen some problems between you two with PORH. Both of you tend to react very negatively when the other is honest. Is that improving?

You both also tend to have Independant Behavior, especially when you are upset, instead of following POJA. Is that improving?

What do you do when one of you is not enthusiastic about something? We don't do it, or we find a way that is agreeable to joth of us.

Do you both enjoy these activities? Yes! things I NEVER thought BS would like to do with me OR be interested in he does - farmers markets and antique markets for example.

How is POJA and PORH going? POJA is going well, we are finding it coming easier and easier - things we never would have thought to ask the other, we do now, "would you like to go to my sisters on the weekend?" Instead of "we were invited and we're going"

You both also tend to have Independant Behavior, especially when you are upset, instead of following POJA. Is that improving? That part IS going well, I believe the LB's influence us to display the independant behaviour, it is something that we both recognize and are working on.

You need to start scheduling your time together and tracking your time together to insure you are getting the time in. We are not keeping track of our time, I will suggest we get a little book to start this though.

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2746427 07/30/13 03:54 PM
M
M
1. Ending all contact with the affair partner for life
Examples: NC letter, phone number changed, email changed ...

2. Removing the conditions that led to the affair (Extraordinary Precautions).
Examples: Facebook shutdown, Radical Honesty (no secret second life), job change, no more nights apart ...

3. Creating a romantic relationship using Marriage Builders concepts.
Examples: Eliminate Lovebusters, POJA, PORH, meet EN, UA time each week ...

If the first two have been completed, and we are supposed to be working on the third but BS has said "Just Compensation NOW or we are finished" what else should I be doing?
We can explain what JC is, but that doesn't tell you exactly what he means. This is where POJA and the PORH come in. You and he need to have a *safe* discussion about this. No fighting, no disrespect, just what do we need to do, and how well are we doing at getting there.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
mrEureka #2746428 07/30/13 03:58 PM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by mrEureka
1. Ending all contact with the affair partner for life
Examples: NC letter, phone number changed, email changed ...

2. Removing the conditions that led to the affair (Extraordinary Precautions).
Examples: Facebook shutdown, Radical Honesty (no secret second life), job change, no more nights apart ...

3. Creating a romantic relationship using Marriage Builders concepts.
Examples: Eliminate Lovebusters, POJA, PORH, meet EN, UA time each week ...

If the first two have been completed, and we are supposed to be working on the third but BS has said "Just Compensation NOW or we are finished" what else should I be doing?
We can explain what JC is, but that doesn't tell you exactly what he means. This is where POJA and the PORH come in. You and he need to have a *safe* discussion about this. No fighting, no disrespect, just what do we need to do, and how well are we doing at getting there.

BS said today that its "my job to figure it out, he's done with it now" I did ask what else I could do, what else does he need and he won't answer.

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2746429 07/30/13 04:09 PM
P
P
BS said today that its "my job to figure it out, he's done with it now" I did ask what else I could do, what else does he need and he won't answer.

Keep doing what you're doing. Make UA a priority (20 hours!), eliminate your lovebusters, and keep up with the POJA an PORH.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2746435 07/30/13 04:22 PM
B
B
Have you read this?
Can't We Just Forgive and Forget
Steps to Recover from an Affair

Have you asked your BH what he needs from you?
What you can do for him?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Have you read this?
Can't We Just Forgive and Forget
Steps to Recover from an Affair

Have you asked your BH what he needs from you?
What you can do for him?

I haven't read them, but will do so.
I have asked BS but he says we aren't supposed to talk about it, so there is Nothing I can do, he says he just has to "deal with it".

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2746439 07/30/13 04:40 PM
P
P
I have asked BS but he says we aren't supposed to talk about it, so there is Nothing I can do
Don't press him. What you CAN do is concentrate on following the program: UA, elimination of Lovebusters, POJA and PORH.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2746440 07/30/13 04:42 PM
B
B
I have asked BS but he says we aren't supposed to talk about it, so there is Nothing I can do
Don't press him. What you CAN do is concentrate on following the program: UA, elimination of Lovebusters, POJA and PORH.
Exactly.

What Love Busters are you guilty of? What are you doing to eliminate them?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Exactly.

What Love Busters are you guilty of? What are you doing to eliminate them?

I've been guilty of all 6 of them at some point. Right now, I think the one I'm most guilty of is Angry Outbursts - how I'm trying to eleminate them, is to follow Dr. Harley's advice and create a short-circuit habit (right now it's just stopping whatever I'm doing and walking away)

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2746450 07/30/13 05:08 PM
B
B
Have you listened to the clips in here?
Anger Management 101

Do you have the book Love Busters?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We have the book, and are reading it together.

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2746454 07/30/13 05:11 PM
N
N
Whenever a couple is not feeling "in love", or if R is bumping along harder than it needs to, it's almost always a shortage of UA time. Even now, if AJ and I begin to feel less connected to each other, it's a fast indicator that we're not getting our UA time in. And as soon as the UA time increases, (an action), the good feelings follow.

You don't need to leave home for 20+ hours a week, or go on that many dates. The point is that you're paying attention to each other, and some of the best UA time occurs in private, anyway.

While continuing all the good things you're already doing, spend your UA making positive memories and associations with each other. That should make an improvement in your R. It's hard enough without making it even harder. smile

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
mrs_cen #2746455 07/30/13 05:11 PM
B
B
Good. Have you read the chapter on AOs?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M

That's the one we start next!

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2746458 07/30/13 05:17 PM
B
B

Fantastic.

Have you listened to Dr. Harley's clips on anger management 101 thread I posted to you?

Listen to them together.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Neak #2746459 07/30/13 05:19 PM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Neak
Whenever a couple is not feeling "in love", or if R is bumping along harder than it needs to, it's almost always a shortage of UA time. Even now, if AJ and I begin to feel less connected to each other, it's a fast indicator that we're not getting our UA time in. And as soon as the UA time increases, (an action), the good feelings follow.

You don't need to leave home for 20+ hours a week, or go on that many dates. The point is that you're paying attention to each other, and some of the best UA time occurs in private, anyway.

While continuing all the good things you're already doing, spend your UA making positive memories and associations with each other. That should make an improvement in your R. It's hard enough without making it even harder. smile

Prisca suggested UA time as well and to keep track of it, if we don't have to leave the house, we are getting a bit more time then, after supper we get our coffee and sit out on the balcony together talking and just being together (for example)

FWW, 36

M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M

Fantastic.

Have you listened to Dr. Harley's clips on anger management 101 thread I posted to you?

Listen to them together.

I'm listening to them now, I will share with BS when he comes home.

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2746467 07/30/13 05:30 PM
N
N
Also make sure you're focusing on his top 3 needs. You should be meeting his top 3 all the time, and the top 5 most of the time. Do you know what his top 3 are? Chances are good that Admiration, SF, and RC are some of the important ones. Whatever they are, make a habit of checking off his top 3 every single day. Something like Admiration you can meet several times a day.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Page 22 of 33 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation