Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 39 of 67 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 66 67
M
M
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
If you don't accept some influence, then you become an obstacle and people find a way around you and you have no power.

This was a little hard for me to parse through some of the jargon, but I think he's saying something that looks like the older way Dr. Harley wrote about respectful persuasion:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5040_qa.html

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Step 4: Give your spouse an opportunity to persuade you.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
HHH,

I think I used a poor choice of words that invoked that response from you. However, it was pretty informative and shows a deeper understanding than I have on IC.

The key point is that it is ok to disagree with your wife. Where trouble begins, is when we get into this habit of explaining why we disagree and in doing so take an approach that seems like we are lecturing our spouse into agreeing with us. That is a disrespectful judgement.

I have found that whenever the word why gets involved, I am likely to be in an emotional minefield that needs to be navigated very, very carefully. (I am very likely to say something that my wife will find disrespectful.)

ETA: that didn't mean that I shouldn't explain my point of view. Just that it took a lot of learning to learn how to do it respectfully.

By the way, if respectfully expressing your point of view leads to love busters on your wife's part, don't take that to mean that you did wrong in expressing your point of view. If she has a DJ problem (or other LB), then she will need some time to become "desensitized" to the anxiety she feels when you express a conflicting point of view. She will need repeated exposure (flooding).

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
H
H
HHH,

I think I used a poor choice of words that invoked that response from you. However, it was pretty informative and shows a deeper understanding than I have on IC.

The key point is that it is ok to disagree with your wife. Where trouble begins, is when we get into this habit of explaining why we disagree and in doing so take an approach that seems like we are lecturing our spouse into agreeing with us. That is a disrespectful judgement.

I have found that whenever the word why gets involved, I am likely to be in an emotional minefield that needs to be navigated very, very carefully. (I am very likely to say something that my wife will find disrespectful.)

ETA: that didn't mean that I shouldn't explain my point of view. Just that it took a lot of learning to learn how to do it respectfully.

There are two particular "traps" I have observed that often lead down the road to DJ-land;

"Why," and "I don't understand."

Or, the combination... "I don't understand why..."

The simplest explanation at any given time for either of these is "I like this" or "I don't like this."

Often times, we don't even know why we like or don't like something, it just is. Trying to explain to someone else "why" we feel one way or another gets us knotted up.

Other times, when we are passionate about a subject we can go in depth about it (usually, a string of attributes about a subject we also like). But, one has to be careful that when you do this, that you aren't trying to debate, or sway your spouse's opinion; just explain your passion, or just listen to theirs.

Don't be tempted to dig out a further "why," or dismiss with a "I don't understand."

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
H
H
I focus a lot on validating her point of view on things rather than trying to say how I disagree.

A psychologist that I have come to respect, John M. Gottman (University of Washington), conducts research in marital therapy that has led him to reject his own pet theory. "Active listening," which is a very popular method of conflict resolution in marriage that John Gottman helped create, was demonstrated in his own laboratory to be ineffective in improving marriages. I've known for some time that active listening didn't go far enough in helping resolve conflicts, but my experience with most theorists is that they are too wrapped up in their theories to see their mistakes. John Gottman is one of the rare exceptions who is objective enough about his field to correct his errors.

Wow, HHH - you must be incredibly familiar with Marriage Builders to be familiar with this Dr. Harley quote.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8101_ambm.html

I've tried to look more at Gottman - The Love Lab is here in our state - but, he doesn't have as much information freely available as Dr. Harley does. I have seen enough to know where some deviations exist.

I have also looked at their "Marriage Retreat" weekends, but they are rather expensive. BEAUTIFUL location, but $5000 for a weekend.

I do have kind of a educational pipe dream about going to study at the love lab, but there are still many steps between now and then.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the responses. I got called to jury duty and the trial is expected to last for 2 weeks so that's why I haven't responded.

There was a lot of questioning for the jurors. I am proud to say that in the official court record my hobbies include "dating my wife". smile

There was also an interesting instruction and questioning from both attorneys about not discussing the case with you spouse. Not even to include things like "The court room is cold". The policy of RA came to mind.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Well, we had our monthly session with Dr Jennifer on Friday. Prior to the session, my W had expressed to me she didn't want to do them anymore, so I was expecting it to be the last one. We did end up scheduling one for next month, however.

She spent over an hour talking with my W before I got on the phone. I was told that I should expect my W to come to me with with a list of specific things I could be doing. I haven't seen the list as of yet however. Should I ask for it?

Last edited by FightTheFight; 09/05/13 02:29 PM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
B
B
Well, we had our monthly session with Dr Jennifer on Friday. Prior to the session, my W had expressed to me she didn't want to do them anymore, so I was expecting it to be the last one. We did end up scheduling one for next month, however.

She spent over an hour talking with my W before I got on the phone. I was told that I should expect my W to come to me with with a list of specific things I could be doing. I haven't seen the list as of yet however. Should I ask for it?
Why doesn't your W want to coach with Jennifer anymore?

Did Jennifer give you a date as to when you can expect it?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Why doesn't your W want to coach with Jennifer anymore?

Because "She knows this stuff already" and it costs money.

Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Did Jennifer give you a date as to when you can expect it?

I didn't get a date. I believe they spent the majority their time working on rearranging some ENs and coming up with some specific ways to meet those needs. Dr J did tell me that part of their conversation involved Dr J asking what I have been doing and then saying "But those are all of the things on your list." Implying that I was doing the things that my W had identified as things I could do to meet her ENs, yet it wasn't having any effect. Of course, I wasn't privy to the conversation they had so there may have been more to it.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M

I would tell her that Jennifer told you your wife would be giving you this list and see what your wife says and go from there.

F
OP Offline
F
I would tell her that Jennifer told you your wife would be giving you this list and see what your wife says and go from there.

OK I'll ask tonight. I just get the impression that all of this MB stuff is just something I'm making her do. Don't want to be timid about it, but at the same time it makes me feel like "enough is enough". KWIM?

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
N
N
I just get the impression that all of this MB stuff is just something I'm making her do. Don't want to be timid about it, but at the same time it makes me feel like "enough is enough".

"Enough is enough" sounds suspiciously like you have an expectation that you should see (have seen?) some changes in FC's demeanor and attitude toward you. Stop that!

But in a broader sense, does it come as a shock to you that a good Plan A is nothing more than poking a large hole in your love bucket, and letting it drain out? Faith, not hope, remember?

I GUESS hinting about the list from FC is advisable, but there would be some intel on her mindset to be garnered from seeing how long she would take to proffer it unbidden.

ETA: On reflection, that last tactic would NOT be Plan A. My bad!

Last edited by NeverGuessed; 09/05/13 08:37 PM. Reason: Second thought.....
N
N
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
"Enough is enough" sounds suspiciously like you have an expectation that you should see (have seen?) some changes in FC's demeanor and attitude toward you. Stop that!

For how long?

Until that hole in the bucket is the diameter of the bucket itself?

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

L
L
But FightTheFight is trying to recover his marriage and a man can safely be in the position of trying to win his wife back without losing his health.

He'll know when he's had enough, but in the meantime, for the sake of his family, he really wants to make this work. If the marriage can't be saved, it's really a tragedy. He'll likely lose the ability to live with his children.

FTF, can you encourage FC to call Joyce, as Joyce suggested when you all last spoke? Joyce would be so helpful and very happy to hear from your wife.

Make sure you are very careful about showing FC any disrespect. Have you been able to get out and spend some enjoyable time together?

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
N
N
PLAN A IS NOT FOR THE MODERATELY COMMITTED!

For illustrative purposes it can be envisioned as months of accumulated, stacked, "Attaboys", exposed to being tumbled down by merely one "Awww sh**!"

Not every BH can pull off an acceptable Plan A. GJM did; Markos did.

Even a great Plan A may be ineffective, the aforementioned GJM being a tragic example.

What is virtually certain, though, is that a flawed, inconsistent, impatient, Plan A will be ineffective.

N
N
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
If the marriage can't be saved, it's really a tragedy. He'll likely lose the ability to live with his children.

Oh I agree with you, don't get me wrong. And the same would apply to his wife as well, which makes me wonder if she truly grasps this concept and what it really means. From what our poster writes, there doesn't appear to be a sense of desperation or urgency coming from her.

But we've been here before...

Me (BH)
FWW

N
N
From what our poster writes, there doesn't appear to be a sense of desperation or urgency coming from her.

Whether true or not, the vital factor is that FTF has to focus on HIS actions, HIS goals, HIS desires, as anything else is a distraction.

Our job is to assist FTF in perfecting his Plan A. Agreed?

M
M

I was moderately committed. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to divorce or not. Yet I was successful.

For illustrative purposes it can be envisioned as months of accumulated, stacked, "Attaboys", exposed to being tumbled down by merely one "Awww sh**!"

I'm not special in any way and I pulled of an acceptable Plan A. Unless, perhaps, one is suicidal, anyone can do it.

Even a great Plan A may be ineffective, the aforementioned GJM being a tragic example.

Only if Plan A's effectiveness is limited to the question of whether the marriage survived. IMO, it is not. Not all marriages should survive and those BS's that did Plan A seem better off post divorce than those who didn't. Plan A, in those instances seems to act as a regret pressure relief valve.

What is virtually certain, though, is that a flawed, inconsistent, impatient, Plan A will be ineffective.

Odd. I made mistakes...my application of Plan A was flawed at times, inconsistent and I was certainly impatient YET, I was successful. I've seen much more perfect "Plan A's" fail and worse "Plan A's" succeed.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
B
B
Originally Posted by MrWondering

I was moderately committed. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to divorce or not. Yet I was successful.

I'm not special in any way and I pulled of an acceptable Plan A. Unless, perhaps, one is suicidal, anyone can do it.

Only if Plan A's effectiveness is limited to the question of whether the marriage survived. IMO, it is not. Not all marriages should survive and those BS's that did Plan A seem better off post divorce than those who didn't. Plan A, in those instances seems to act as a regret pressure relief valve.

Odd. I made mistakes...my application of Plan A was flawed at times, inconsistent and I was certainly impatient YET, I was successful. I've seen much more perfect "Plan A's" fail and worse "Plan A's" succeed.
I also can think of a few more BHs who did a successful Plan A.

Mr.eureka
wle
Those are just a couple.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

F
OP Offline
F
But FightTheFight is trying to recover his marriage and a man can safely be in the position of trying to win his wife back without losing his health.

I'm not so sure about that. For months now, I've been having what I can only describe as panic attacks. It's like I am just thinking too much for too long and my brain wants to shut down. Feels like I am going to pass out. One day at work a few weeks ago, I had to ask my coworker to keep an eye on me for a bit until it passed. I thought I might need to go to the hospital or something. Not kidding, it was scary.

On the other hand, I'm not getting sick or coming down with any diseases like I've heard can happen with women. But I can testify that there are definitely health effects. Maybe not life threatening, but they are there.

He'll know when he's had enough, but in the meantime, for the sake of his family, he really wants to make this work. If the marriage can't be saved, it's really a tragedy. He'll likely lose the ability to live with his children.

FTF, can you encourage FC to call Joyce, as Joyce suggested when you all last spoke? Joyce would be so helpful and very happy to hear from your wife.

I wish she would, but she doesn't want to for whatever reason. I've brought it up enough that it became annoying to mention it, so I let it go.

Make sure you are very careful about showing FC any disrespect. Have you been able to get out and spend some enjoyable time together?

No disrespect from me or her either really. To be honest, this was a pretty easy habit to break for me because there wasn't a whole lot of it to begin with. We have never been ones to fight ever.

As far as enjoyable time, I've really focused on things she would like to do as long as it is something I would enjoy as well. We have been out a lot. Really good stuff too, like the amusement park, bowling etc. We even went to a local bar one Wednesday and played trivia on a whim. We are good friends, it just never gets past that.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
N
N
[quote=LongWayFromHome]FTF, can you encourage FC to call Joyce, as Joyce suggested when you all last spoke? Joyce would be so helpful and very happy to hear from your wife.

I wish she would, but she doesn't want to for whatever reason. I've brought it up enough that it became annoying to mention it, so I let it go.

Might she be looking for some incentive to call? I would surmise that people rarely seek aid in changing situations that they are, for whatever reason, content to remain in.

Me (BH)
FWW

Page 39 of 67 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 66 67

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 476 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation