Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 37 of 44 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 43 44
B
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I think moving away is your ONLY hope.
Dr. Harley also recommends this quite frequently. Your BH running into OM sent him way back, especially since you're fairly certain there is no OW. Show him JC by initiating the move.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

T
T
Put the house up for sale. Tell BH you no longer want to risk the both of you seeing the OM ever again.

H
H
I am going to agree with the concensus that the underlying cause to the problem here is your husband being triggered, not your husband not being radically honest.

You are upset that he isn't telling you, and that is understandable - it means you are missing opportunities.

However, there would be no gain in him telling you every single time he is triggered. It would be a constant drain that would leave you constantly feeling like a failure.

There are two better solutions here - for him to focus on increasing UA time and enjoyable activities with you, and to come up with ways to reduce and/or completely eliminate triggers.

At the same time, when you notice him withdrawing you can also take it as an opportunity to invite him to join you in some of your (mutual) favorite UA activities and ramp up that UA time.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
N
N
XVY, a while ago you mentioned that your spouse received some comfort or guidance from some of my ramblings. I'm still here if he'd like to post on MB.

If not please ask him to request from JU my e-mail address, to send me a private note. Perhaps a 1-on-1 discussion between us could lead to a more honest discussion than he's willing to entertain publicly on this board.

As for yourself, please try to stifle the LBs at the start. (I'm guessing you already came to that conclusion.) You need to retain every iota of creativity and initiative in the weeks ahead, and having anger and resentment competing for the available synapses is ineffective.

I will look forward to his note....

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
I am going to agree with the concensus that the underlying cause to the problem here is your husband being triggered, not your husband not being radically honest.

You are upset that he isn't telling you, and that is understandable - it means you are missing opportunities.

However, there would be no gain in him telling you every single time he is triggered. It would be a constant drain that would leave you constantly feeling like a failure.

There are two better solutions here - for him to focus on increasing UA time and enjoyable activities with you, and to come up with ways to reduce and/or completely eliminate triggers.

At the same time, when you notice him withdrawing you can also take it as an opportunity to invite him to join you in some of your (mutual) favorite UA activities and ramp up that UA time.

HHH,
You bring up a very valid point about triggers and I completely understand that. I am also talking about General communication. He told me he had been unhappy since spring, not feeling like he could ever get over what I did. I guess it bothers me because I had no clue and it wasn't because I was not paying attention. He was not withdrawn, we did things together, great sex, etc..

In addition the open and honest thing has been a major struggle in our marriage prior to the affair and in other areas as well.

I feel like seeing OM brought everything out and brought him back to day one. I just feel like we have worked to hard to get to where we are to give up now. Like I said before though, marriage is a two way street and if he is too tired to work on his side I can't force him to.

Is it wrong for me also however to say that if he does decide to leave and be done then I have to be done as well? This is the fourth time he has done this to me. I know some of you may say I brought it on myself, but it is emotionally exhausting to myself and or children.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
I don't want to just survive my affair, I want to recover from it!
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
XVY, a while ago you mentioned that your spouse received some comfort or guidance from some of my ramblings. I'm still here if he'd like to post on MB.

If not please ask him to request from JU my e-mail address, to send me a private note. Perhaps a 1-on-1 discussion between us could lead to a more honest discussion than he's willing to entertain publicly on this board.

As for yourself, please try to stifle the LBs at the start. (I'm guessing you already came to that conclusion.) You need to retain every iota of creativity and initiative in the weeks ahead, and having anger and resentment competing for the available synapses is ineffective.

I will look forward to his note....

NG, I will be sure to let him know you are there for him and ready to talk.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
M
M
Originally Posted by fifteenyears
[
Is it wrong for me also however to say that if he does decide to leave and be done then I have to be done as well? This is the fourth time he has done this to me. I know some of you may say I brought it on myself, but it is emotionally exhausting to myself and or children.

I wouldn't be "done." I would MOVE away from there and hope that he follows you. That should have been done in the beginning. The reason he goes in and out is because he is perpetually triggered living where you do. Your marriage could have a chance if you moved.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
It is frustrating to me that he says he has been miserable since the spring yet I had no clue!

This is not surprising to me at all. I immediately thought of the fact that NC was broken when you ran into the OM picking up your daughter in his neighborhood this past spring. Broken NC is a major setback to any recovery. And now this. I can't imagine.

Has your daughter continued going into the neighborhood where OM lives?

Last edited by SusieQ; 09/08/13 10:31 AM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
SusieQ #2753622 09/08/13 11:34 AM
F
OP Offline
F
You are right Susie. He said he started feeling this way in spring. This may have been his first real setback. Even though he seemed to blow it off as no big deal at the time he just admitted to me that he was upset that I didn't tell him right away. I admit that I haven't done all I can do to protect my marriage. It was not intentional but I realize this now and it may cost me my marriage.

Feeling a little hopeless right now but still willing to fight and continue saving my marriage.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
M
M
Your husband probably doesn't see any way out of this and envisions a future with a perpetual dark cloud hanging over him. If you move away, that cloud goes away along with his resentment. Have you spoken to him about this?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Here is the thing. Your husband is not thinking strategically.

If your husband leaves you, his future will STILL hold heartbreak for him. He will lose his marriage and his family and STILL have occasional run ins with the OM. Leaving you will not lessen his pain, it will INCREASE IT, because he will be adding the breakup of his marriage and his children's family.

On the other hand, if you MOVE AWAY together, you will be removing the triggers altogether, eliminating the resentment. Once the triggers are removed, you will have a chance at replacing that resentment with a happy, romantic marriage. [if the present is happy, ones mind does not go to the past] His resentment will fade and he will have an intact marriage and family.

Divorcing you will not make him feel better, it will make him feel WORSE.

Exposure 101

M
M
He feels TRAPPED, but there is a way out. He just doesn't see it. He has tried to stay there and just "get over it." Since he knows he can't "get over it" staying there, he has given up hope.

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
Right now he is barely speaking to me. Unfortunately he had to go into work today. When he is upset he just shuts down and its very hard to get him to open up. I was just trying to be friendly this morning and show him that I am here for him.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
F
OP Offline
F
Here is the thing. Your husband is not thinking strategically.

If your husband leaves you, his future will STILL hold heartbreak for him. He will lose his marriage and his family and STILL have occasional run ins with the OM. Leaving you will not lessen his pain, it will INCREASE IT, because he will be adding the breakup of his marriage and his children's family.

On the other hand, if you MOVE AWAY together, you will be removing the triggers altogether, eliminating the resentment. Once the triggers are removed, you will have a chance at replacing that resentment with a happy, romantic marriage. [if the present is happy, ones mind does not go to the past] His resentment will fade and he will have an intact marriage and family.

Divorcing you will not make him feel better, it will make him feel WORSE.
That is the way I feel as well. I will fwd this to him since he us not talking to me right now. When I have brought this up in the past his response has always been that he doesn't think that moving away is going to solve any problems.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
M
M
Right now he is barely speaking to me. Unfortunately he had to go into work today. When he is upset he just shuts down and its very hard to get him to open up. I was just trying to be friendly this morning and show him that I am here for him.

How about printing up my posts and giving them to him? Ask him what he thinks and ask if he will come here and speak to me. Can you do that?

Exposure 101

M
M
[
That is the way I feel as well. I will fwd this to him since he us not talking to me right now. When I have brought this up in the past his response has always been that he doesn't think that moving away is going to solve any problems.

That is because he doesn't know HOW to solve the problem. He has tried it his way and it didn't work.

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F

How about printing up my posts and giving them to him? Ask him what he thinks and ask if he will come here and speak to me. Can you do that?

Yes! Just did, we had the same thought!

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
SusieQ #2753633 09/08/13 11:57 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by SusieQ
Has your daughter continued going into the neighborhood where OM lives?

Did you see this?

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
S
S
Yes! Just did, we had the same thought!
fifteen, if there's any chance that he will read any more posts, please ask to have the ones about a revenge affair and spying removed.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
SusieQ #2753640 09/08/13 12:37 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Yes, just recently I spoke to both my daughter and her friends mother about not being able to pick her up our take her over to their house. The other mother is fine with this in that she is usually the drive no matter what, she likes the control.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
Page 37 of 44 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 43 44

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 434 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation