Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
It's been 8 long years since I got divorced. I had a 5-year relationship after my divorce but he was not ready to tie a knot so I broke it off. A year later I met someone else and we dated pretty intensively initially, however I found many red flags about him and broke it off too.

I do not believe I am looking for Mr. Perfect, but it seems so difficult to find �the one�. After analyzing myself, I realized that I am very slow to either address issues because I feel bad doing so (but in the end the issues never go away and instead they multiply usually), or I have extremely hard time �letting go�. As a result, I hang onto already broken relationships, without necessarily fixing them, but not letting them go either (so even if I break it off, I feel lonely and end up calling them up again or responding to their emails/texts and we get back together).

For example, the most recent relationship I had was with a man who is 4 years older, someone who has never been married. He is a nice guy however is still somewhat dependent on his mother. She cooks and washes his clothes. Even though she does this for him, he often yells at her, which I pointed out one time. He apologized to me and told me that he would apologize to his mother, but when I asked him about it a week later he said he had not done so yet. His best friend is a very successful guy who is extremely calm, nice, and generous. In my eye, his friend does so much to help my BF. For example, my BF could not qualify for a mortgage, so his friend just provided the loan without charging him any extra points, insurance, nothing. His friend also asks BF to fix computers and (this surprised me) my BF actually charges for this service. Anyway, one time the friend asked BF to fix computers but BF did not do so in a timely manner so the friend just went ahead and hired someone else. I do not see anything wrong with this, as it is a business matter since the friend pays for the service, and it is entirely up to him to decide who to fix his computers. However BF was very upset about this incident (since he lost the earning opportunity) and wanted to end the friendship. The only reason he decided not to do so was simply because he still owes so much in mortgage (he is trying to refinance with a bank but has not done so yet).

After witnessing all of these behaviors, even though I am far from perfection, I could not respect him. I did not tell him about my disappointment about his friend�s computer incident, however, so my BF has no idea how I felt about the whole thing. BF thinks I am a snob and judgmental. Maybe I am. Maybe that is because guys I dated in the past were more gentlemen, did not have dirty mouth (I pointed this out to BF and he got mad, defending he does not swear not as nearly as others and I am being a snob). My family members do not use those words. But because I did not want to fall into the �I am right and he is wrong� mentality, I still stayed with him, as I wanted to reflect the whole thing more and wanted to access if my expectation is unrealistic/being judgmental or if it is reasonable.

In the mean time he has been treating my son pretty badly. He calls my son �you are not normal�, �you are a piece of work�, etc. My son is a very sweet boy, but is not the best listener so I understand when my BF get upset when he is not obeying right away. When that happens I discipline my son together. But even when my son is doing well at school (getting A�s and making to advanced math class), my BF would not say �good job�, instead he said �school got dumbed down now�. I did not say this to him, but I was so angry inside as my BF cannot even help my son with his homework! In my mind BF is not necessarily the most academically successful person either. If my son is singing, BF would say �something is not right about you�. A few weeks ago it was my son�s birthday and I wanted to allow him a sleepover at his cousin�s house since that is what he wanted, and BF said he is spoiled. He did not even bother calling up to wish my son Happy Birthday (most probably because he was mad). I am certain it did not even occur to him to get a present or card for him. I know it is my son, BF is not obligated to do anything, but�. is that normal?? I think in his mind I already spend enough time with my son I should not spend the weekend for my son but for BF.

He likes to lecture how to raise kids, and wanted to marry me and stay home to raise kids (including �kids� he wanted to have with me). He has never been married before and never raised any kids before. I make about 2.5 times more than him and that is why I think he wanted to stay home. Yet I am the one who cooks, cleans, do dishes and washes his clothes. I did not feel it was fair. I come home from work, go pick up my son, and I do not even have time to change and start cooking. BF just sits there and drinks beer. Since BF cannot help my son with his homework, while I am cooking, I also check his homework too. BF does not even set the table. Once I asked him, he said �let the son help, make him more useful�.

I could not take that any more and broke it off. I know this was a right decision. Yet I have a void in my heart. Why do I keep getting this? When can I ever meet someone I can connect, love, and respect? Someone I do not have to worry about getting upset about my son every 3 minutes?

B
B
Welcome to MB.

How much of Dr. Harley's information have you read?

Please read these.
Choosing the Right One to Marry

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you BrainHurts. Based on the info on the links..... are you suggesting that since this is not a marriage, I'd better analyze the situation and evaluate this man better than trying to resolve issues?

That makes sense. It is just very hard emotionally though. I often feels that my expectations may not be realistic. Then I see lots of marriage falling apart for issues I am having right now. Since I already divorced once, I do not want to go through the hurt and sadness and all the drama again. Once was bad enough, that was the worst experience ever in my life. But what if I am looking for something that may not exist? I can easily evaluate others' situations but when it comes to mine, it is very difficult to make sound and logical judgment.

M
M
CC, you did the right thing in ending your relationship with this man. He was not a good candidate for marriage and was certainly not a good influence on your son. He was a bully to your son so you did the right thing in ending the relationship.

The links that BH posted will help you find a suitable person in the future.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks ML. I needed the validation..... I know he is not good for my son.

C
OP Offline
C
Everyone puts on the 'near-perfect' mask initially when you just start dating. How do I find out if he is really a nice person or is faking...., it takes time and because of that I usually grow emotional attachment to the guy while we are dating, and then by the time I find out some red flags it is extremely painful for me to address such issues.

Sigh.

S
S
Originally Posted by Candy_Crusher
Everyone puts on the 'near-perfect' mask initially when you just start dating. How do I find out if he is really a nice person or is faking...., it takes time and because of that I usually grow emotional attachment to the guy while we are dating, and then by the time I find out some red flags it is extremely painful for me to address such issues.

Sigh.

You said it yourself. Stop becoming emotionally attached so quickly. Observe and interact in non intimate ways.

It also helps if you have mutual friends...people you trust who have known him for a long time.

W
W
Good for you! You need to protect your son from people like that!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 894 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation