Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
R
R
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Tell them that their mother is having an affair with Joe Blow and that adultery is immoral. Explain to them that when a man and woman get married they are not supposed to have boyfriends or girlfriends. Give them his full name and explain that he is trying to break up their family and has done a terrible thing to you. If they see him they are to tell you immediately because he is to never be around them.
Exactly this.
Without anger in your voice but compassion for your children who will be going through a very difficult time for the foreseeable future.

Also, as MelodyLane said......STOP being a jerk.
Every single time you lash out in nastyness/anger/rude remarks/etc.....you shoot yourself in the foot. Tell yourself that as you deal with her. Know that no matter what happens from this point on

you show your very best self as a decent and honorable man.

A
AR2kids Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Okay - no more jerk

M
M
Did you read my suggestion to email the homeschool parents tonight?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
AR2kids Offline OP
OP Offline
A
yes. hmmm...I liked your wording. I don't know if I'm there yet.

A
AR2kids Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Actually, the affair never happened in this home, so far as I know. She and he kept it VERY secret. Like rendesvous-ing at parking lots, etc. Our neighbors are very loving and some are very nosy, so I'm pretty sure it never happened here.

M
M
Originally Posted by AR2kids
yes. hmmm...I liked your wording. I don't know if I'm there yet.

I don't think anyone is ever really there, my friend, but it is extremely important that you time your exposures together as much as possible. Your children need to be told and the homeschool parents need to be informed too. You might as well do it all on the same night in order to inflict as much damage as possible to the affair. If you trickle it out, you will be dealing with a weakened exposure and TWO rages. Why not get your money's worth in ONE rage? She will be furious tomorrow when she finds out, so you might as well make it worthwhile.

GEt this part DONE so you can move onto next steps. Dragging out exposures is a strategic mistake that only helps the affair.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Actually, the affair never happened in this home, so far as I know. She and he kept it VERY secret. Like rendesvous-ing at parking lots, etc. Our neighbors are very loving and some are very nosy, so I'm pretty sure it never happened here.

You can just delete that part.

Exposure 101

A
AR2kids Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Told children. Probably hardest thing to do ever. I could not help myself from crying after hearing their sobs.

M
M
Told children. Probably hardest thing to do ever. I could not help myself from crying after hearing their sobs.

I am so very sorry, ar2kids. frown I know this was hard but you did the right thing.

Exposure 101

R
R
If your wife says anything negative about having told the children, calmly tell her that you simply informed them of what is happening around them so they would not be confused.

Stay calm with WW. Do not let her reaction of the truth being exposed to the children let you turn angry/fearful/etc.

Stay the course.

F
F
I would be emailing all the homeschool parents TONIGHT so your exposures hit your wife in one tsunami. You lose the effectiveness of exposure when you trickle this out.

I don't think anyone is ever really there, my friend, but it is extremely important that you time your exposures together as much as possible. Your children need to be told and the homeschool parents need to be informed too. You might as well do it all on the same night in order to inflict as much damage as possible to the affair. If you trickle it out, you will be dealing with a weakened exposure and TWO rages. Why not get your money's worth in ONE rage? She will be furious tomorrow when she finds out, so you might as well make it worthwhile.

Get this part DONE so you can move onto next steps. Dragging out exposures is a strategic mistake that only helps the affair.

AR2kids,

Please listen to what ML is telling you here. Do not drag out this exposure! Voice of experience here, dragging it out will only make it worse. Be strong and rip off that band aid! You need to fight for your family here and COMPLETE exposure is you best, most ethical. Use it.

The longer you let it go, the LESS effective it will be.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 09/18/13 08:58 AM.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
A
AR2kids Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yep - she came home and was pissed. Thanks for the advice.
(I recorded about 20 min of my talk with kids, lest anyone accuse me of telling any un-truths. And I sent the first 10 min to OM, saying "I dare you to listen to this". So he and WW did listen to it. )

She said, How can you let your anger with me do this to our kids??

I said , sorry - it isn't anger.

M
M
She said, How can you let your anger with me do this to our kids??

How could SHE do this to your kids? frown

Where do you stand on exposing the affair to the homeschool parents? I think this will be a key exposure that may inflict major damage on the affair.

Exposure 101

P
P
I think this will be a key exposure that may inflict major damage on the affair.
I agree.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M

Have you exposed the affair to your neighbors? They are in a unique position to help you guard against the OM coming to your home. Have they seen him hanging around over there? What did the kids say about this?

Exposure 101

A
AR2kids Offline OP
OP Offline
A
The neighbors that we are close to have been informed and have been very supportive. The one neighbor who coordinates the homeschool program is the one who gave me Surviving An Affair. I honestly do not think this OM has any reason to come down to our part of town. It was always WW sneaking out and they would rendezvous elsewhere. I think WW has been very careful to keep it secret and wouldn't take any chances around the house.

But she's pissed that I broke my promise and told kids anyway. Therapist said, "this was too soon and perhaps very harmful to the kids". She wanted more time with WW and me to "sort out" what would be appropriate for the children to know right now, and at their age.

The therapist (and the FIL (who supports me and getting WW out of the affair)) recommend counseling for the children.

A
AR2kids Offline OP
OP Offline
A
MelodyLane - I have taken your advice (because I agree with it), and other people want to know "Who is giving you this advice that is contrary to the professionals who you are paying?" They might think that you are just an anonymous post-er. I know that there are rules to this forum and a moderator.
If I were to further defend my actions, I want to point them to Harley/Chalmers, but they might say "who is this melody lane?? What are his/her credentials?"

L
L
But thats just it AR, you DON'T have to defend your actions. They do.

Remember who's done right....and who's done wrong.

Telling isn't wrong, Having an affair is wrong.

Don't be defensive. Don't justify your actions. Stand tall and proud. Don't justify. Don't explain. Just say you're telling the truth. End of it.

L
L
Quote: Therapist said, "this was too soon and perhaps very harmful to the kids"
End Quote:

Dump that therapist.

That statement during a counseling session together is completely biased and borderline unethical.

They are supposed to deal with the circumstances at hand, not chastise one spouse in front of the other and seemingly take sides.

Relay that you are using Surviving An Affair as the basis for the advice on how best to extinguish the obvious elephant in the room, which is the primary 1st goal before you can redirect attentions to recreating romantic feelings for each other, along with safeguarding your marriage and family from outside betrayers to your marriage.

The truth is the best defense. Ask if it's wrong to tell the truth or wrong to betray your family. The affair is what is damaging, not the truth being concealed.

If a woman is getting her emotional needs met by an interloper to your marriage, you will be unable to make any LB Deposits to her, because her bank is closed off to any of the deposits you are trying to make.

LTL

Last edited by LearnedTooLate; 09/18/13 03:26 PM.
A
AR2kids Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I should have qualified that the therapist said this in an email to me. She is on my side regarding getting the marriage back together and making things work for the kids. It was not in front of WW.

However, your point is well-taken, and again, I agree with those points and this approach. Thanks again so much

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 600 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation