Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
J
J
Action Movies + Beer + Sports + Knows how to fix things = My kind of guy

J
J
Originally Posted by black_raven
As for the beer...to me that is an indicator that the man is laid back and not pretentious. Until I meet him in person, I took the "beer" comment that way. Now if he turned out to be Homer Simpson that is another story lol...and bye bye. smile

Buh-bye!!

[Linked Image from thesecretdiaryoflawrencefrank.files.wordpress.com]

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
A
ak1 Offline
A
I've never understood the Simpsons, I mean, what is so funny about that?

J
J
Originally Posted by ak1
I've never understood the Simpsons, I mean, what is so funny about that?

My dad says that only an idiot adult would watch cartoons.
I started watching it and found humor with simpsons, and othet adult cartoons

J
J
Online information:

Lately, I have been having quite a few text conversations with a woman nearly 2000 miles away.
I know this can't proceed far but Its given me opportunity to practice communication with the opposite sex and I have enjoyed it
She found me on facebook, after reading one of my comments and tgat is where the communication started.
And yes, she is divorced. (I actually checked with the court website to verify)

J
J
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Online information:

Lately, I have been having quite a few text conversations with a woman nearly 2000 miles away.
I know this can't proceed far but Its given me opportunity to practice communication with the opposite sex and I have enjoyed it
She found me on facebook, after reading one of my comments and tgat is where the communication started.

Actually when I text with her I feel like I love her.
I assume its because shes meeting my needs for conversation?

J
J
Online information:

Is she physically attractive? Does she say admiring things to you? Those would be my guesses...

Elizabeth Bowen

R
R
Just a note about the Simpsons......

you could not find a more devoted husband than Homer Simpson.

He adored his wife Marge!

M
M
Online information:

This is why you need to keep more friendships going. Your are fresh in this world. The admiration can be intoxicating in the beginning.

Pull yourself back, and engage others in IC. That way you can start to compare/contrast the outcome. It gives you something to grow from...like an initial baseline.

J
J
Is this someone you used to know and re-connected with?
Why only text conversations vs. a regular, speaking conversation?

If this is the first woman since your divorce to meet your need for conversation, that explains your feelings. It's "easier" when you're texting ... you get brave.

J
J
Originally Posted by JustMe385
Is this someone you used to know and re-connected with?
Why only text conversations vs. a regular, speaking conversation?

If this is the first woman since your divorce to meet your need for conversation, that explains your feelings. It's "easier" when you're texting ... you get brave.

No. I didn't reconnect with her
I met her on facebook. She liked (I mean appreciated, not clicking like button) a comment I made on a page and she sent me a friend request.
Yhen we started talking.

Yes it has been text because I have terrible phone service in my house.
I've tried to cut my phone bill and go to VOIP phone and I can't talk in my house.
I can j n other areas.
I will be moving soon and have high speed jnternet when I do

B
B
Originally Posted by Zhamila
Originally Posted by black_raven
As for the beer...to me that is an indicator that the man is laid back and not pretentious. Until I meet him in person, I took the "beer" comment that way. Now if he turned out to be Homer Simpson that is another story lol...and bye bye. smile

Buh-bye!!

[Linked Image from thesecretdiaryoflawrencefrank.files.wordpress.com]

Homie! loveheart LOL

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
J
J
I would LOVE to hear more about spotting redflag redflag in online profiles...green flags, too!

I've run the first-date gauntlet 23 times, and I think I'm being pretty discerning pre-first-date. Unfortunately, not one man floated my boat (OK!OK!, Dream Dude doesn't count cause I met him in person! He made my boat jump out of the water...)

What do others look for before accepting a first date? I don't want to waste their/my time, and I'm not sure I've got the energy to do another round of 23!

What did all you successful online-daters-turned-fiancees look for?

(Can you tell I'm getting ready to un-hide my profile again?) wink

Elizabeth Bowen

N
N
Z, lol hon my fiancee had *just* got on line. The photo didn't do him justice, it was totally washed out. His profile was barely filled out. But he was very easy to talk to.

I didn't take much time to get myself back together. I think you are doing great with that. A friend who is happily married to a guy she met online would talk to multiple guys for months, they would drop out, and the ones who were left, she knew they had a good connection to be able to sustain that, and weren't just looking for someone to jump into bed with.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
J
J
I think you just have to go with your gut instincts. I wanted to meet anyone I had a good email exchange with. Timely responses that were conversational and not just a one-line response where he was thinking about what he was writing. I wanted to meet anyone who was funny - dry, boring emails will not keep my attention. If a man took days to respond and when he did it was short, or there were grammatical or spelling errors, I didn't like it. 1) I need more attention than that, and 2) I feel spelling and grammar are important. It says a lot about a person.

I liked my BFs profile when I saw it, but I wouldn't have met him if he hadn't found me because he was outside of my age-range. I had it capped at 5 years older than me, and he's 7 years older. I didn't think I was likely to find a man older than 40 who still wanted kids. And, to be 100% honest, I wasn't sure if I would be attracted to him in person. He had several photos posted but none of them did him any justice. But I liked his personality as we kept exchanging emails and when I met him in person I was like, Whoa! Not what I had expected. He's actually gorgeous, at least I think so. smile

J
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Z, lol hon my fiancee had *just* got on line. The photo didn't do him justice, it was totally washed out. His profile was barely filled out. But he was very easy to talk to.

I didn't take much time to get myself back together. I think you are doing great with that. A friend who is happily married to a guy she met online would talk to multiple guys for months, they would drop out, and the ones who were left, she knew they had a good connection to be able to sustain that, and weren't just looking for someone to jump into bed with.

NED, so happy for you! I have tried going out with guys I don't find super-attractive. Some of them are surprisingly easy to talk to - but I haven't gotten the butterflies yet.

Ugh, I almost don't want to do this again. It's tiring.

OK, off to learn more! I'll probably wait til the holidays are finished. Thanks for the tip, NED smile

Elizabeth Bowen

J
J
Originally Posted by JustMe385
I think you just have to go with your gut instincts. I wanted to meet anyone I had a good email exchange with. Timely responses that were conversational and not just a one-line response where he was thinking about what he was writing. I wanted to meet anyone who was funny - dry, boring emails will not keep my attention. If a man took days to respond and when he did it was short, or there were grammatical or spelling errors, I didn't like it. 1) I need more attention than that, and 2) I feel spelling and grammar are important. It says a lot about a person.

I liked my BFs profile when I saw it, but I wouldn't have met him if he hadn't found me because he was outside of my age-range. I had it capped at 5 years older than me, and he's 7 years older. I didn't think I was likely to find a man older than 40 who still wanted kids. And, to be 100% honest, I wasn't sure if I would be attracted to him in person. He had several photos posted but none of them did him any justice. But I liked his personality as we kept exchanging emails and when I met him in person I was like, Whoa! Not what I had expected. He's actually gorgeous, at least I think so. smile

I like this, JustMe! Conversation has to be good via email - and funny is a must for me, too. grin

And you took a chance on him, even though you weren't sure you'd be attracted to him? That's awesome. I guess when it clicks, it clicks. So happy for you! smile

So...is he MB material, and how can you tell? Was it hard to fall in love again/let down your guard? Or did it just 'feel right?'

That's probably my greatest struggle right now: nobody feels even close to right. I mean...other than the Felon *snort*

Elizabeth Bowen

J
J
...Come to think of it, I've noticed that certain guys' emails are really long - and they talk about themselves a LOT. Surprise surprise, in person they are self-absorbed. Hmmm. A clue?

And the one whose emails were funny, and our senses of humor 'clicked' - I enjoyed his company and we ended up dating for 1.5 months. (I found a few of his habits uncomfortable - and they weren't things he was willing to adjust, so "poof.") But it was at least a start! And I didn't find him physically attractive at first either, but grew to like him.

I appreciate the advice! It's helping me process and think about getting out there.

If anyone else wants to share, I'm all ears.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
J
I think he is MB material. I've never talked to him about this site specifically, but we've had our POJA moments and they've happened naturally because it's just the right thing to do. He does exhibit "buyer" behavior as well. It's been so easy with him ... as they say, when you know, you know.

A
ak1 Offline
A
I was just looking through the relationship want adds while I was making dinner. This girl is seriously funny.

She titles her add, "Are those your skis? Both of them?" Then puts this in the title:

[Linked Image from images.craigslist.org]

I think this is the first time I ever laughed out loud looking at personals.

ak

Last edited by ak1; 12/02/13 10:57 PM.
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation