Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21
M
M
Originally Posted by MindMonkey
Wife doesn't want to do it because it's non-MB. I thought as the BH one of my conditions for repairing the M was for my W to commit to a recovery program of MY choice. I guess that's only if my choice is her choice.

The idea is that it should be a good program, one that works.

Right now it appears that you want to handle your resentment by punishing your wife. This won't work, no matter what program it's in.

I'd be curious to see what this other program recommends about resentment. I think you should post it.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
My dad divorced my wayward mother. He made an honorable choice. He did not do what you are doing about resentment. I don't remember him ever once talking like you are talking, although he certainly hurt terribly (I remember him waking up in the middle of the night wailing and crying).

Today he is very healthy, as am I.

Taking your resentment out on your wife will not help you recover at all.

We want you to recover and I believe everyone here respects your right to divorce your wife. But punishing her is a terrible choice. Citing what she has done to you as an excuse to do things back to her is only going to help you wreck your life.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I'm not just blowing smoke here. I truly believe many of her behaviors (including the As) were so that I would finally give her wish of independence. She didn't have the confidence to pull the trigger so she has forced me to do it by crossing an "uncrossable line". After the first PA, I was too weak to pull that trigger. So, in the years following, her IB and SD increased tenfold and had a more brazen affair just to push the envelope...Yes, I think she wants this (D) but still isn�t ready to be the one who does it. Frankly, I'm still struggling with the required intestinal fortitude needed as well.

What does it matter who detonates the nuclear bomb? In the end, you're all dead.

M
M
MM, you are basically having one big massive angry outburst in posting here.

I see little hope for any sort of recovery for you as long as you act like this. You are headed for a life of pure misery, ruled only by your emotions, with an inability to use reason to build a life that makes you happy.

M
M
Oh, and my favorite thing to be resentful about, the thing Dr. Harley told me on the radio show...There is only one LOGICAL and INTELLEGENT choice when kids are involved (at least in our case), and that is recovery...Although I agree with him, it pisses me off because it's not really a CHOICE if there's only one option, is it?

I feel for you - the recovery process for betrayed husbands SUCKS. In my case, my wife wasn't even willing to work the program, until she had fallen back in love with me. And she was extremely disrespectful and abusive to me.

But I was stuck in that same situation: would I throw my six children to the wolves? And probably miss the best chance I had at future happiness?

When I found I couldn't go further, I got on antidepressants, and found that I could keep going. And we recovered.

We will all support you if you want to choose divorce.

We will not support you in abusing your wife. Just because you are pissed off does not mean you have to act abusive. When your children piss you off, are you going to abuse them as well?

M
M
Your real problem is your anger. You believe that other people can make you angry. It makes it impossible to recover your marriage, it will make it impossible to have a good marriage with someone else. It is dangerous for your children, and ultimately it will lead to it being impossible to have a lifestyle that brings you happiness.

I'm reviewing some of the things we previously posted to you about anger management. It looks like you've left all that by the wayside.

M
M
Married or not, a desire to blow of steam at people when you feel frustrated is dangerous:

Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by MadMindMonkey
I've went through the Anger Management 101 multiple times. I'll be honest though, it doesn't cut it for me. Blowing off some steam helps me from wanting to hurt myself.

At the expense of the people you love, though!

That's like saying "hurting other people around me keeps me from hurting myself."

Of course blowing off steam - venting - having an angry outburst feels good. Angry outbursts are the one main emotional disorder that actually feels GOOD to the person who has it. But it makes everybody else around them miserable.

Anyway, I think we both have some ideas how to keep my anger from boiling over. She knows she can help by not building up a wall the second I get "funky".

Wow, that scares me - she puts up the wall to PROTECT herself. She's entitled to it.

Let's cut to the chase - buy a biofeedback meter and learn to calm yourself down and drive the adrenaline out of your system so that you can stop going temporarily insane and keep your brain functional to solve your problems instead of blowing up about them:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8122_neg.html

Note: I know you said you never had an angry outburst before the affair, but from this post, it sounds like you are planning to have more - which is planning to fail. I would be delighted for the rebuttal to my post here to be many years of you never having an AO again just to prove me wrong! laugh

M
M
Your wife's affairs and the things she said and did in her affairs are not the reason that you are angry. That BS doesn't fly here.

Originally Posted by Prisca
You and you alone control whether you have an AO or not. NOT your wife. She is not the reason you lose control.

You need to do more than get a grip on your anger ... you need to eliminate it. And you are not going to eliminate it as long as you blame your wife or her affairs for your anger.

JC does not include punishment. Your wife deserves the right to build a wall around herself until you are willing to protect her from yourself.

Your marriage can survive her affairs. It WILL NOT recover, though, if you do not eliminate your anger.

Dr. Harley on anger:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
"Early on, I came to recognize that angry outbursts are probably the most damaging thing a spouse can do in marriage. I say this in spite of my recognition that infidelity is also a very damaging behavior. But I'm often more optimistic about the recovery of a marriage that has suffered from infidelity than than recovery of a marriage that suffers from angry outbursts. The primary reason that angry outbursts just about eliminate the hope of marital happiness is that even if they are very infrequent, they prevent a couple from solving their problems because the threat always hangs over every conversation.

The first guideline for marital negotiation is to make the discussion pleasant and safe, and an angry spouse fails that very first condition, making the rest of it impossible to implement. Angry spouses simply create an environment that makes it impossible to make marital adjustments. That's why I advise couples with multiple problems that include anger to overcome the anger first, and then focus on the rest of the problems later."

M
M
Nothing your wife can do is the cure for your anger and resentment. No other program can prescribe her to do something that will fix this for you.

Originally Posted by MadMindMonkey
The other thought I have is maybe I haven�t got the JC I need for the anger to go away.

JC is not the cure for anger, nor does Dr. Harley ever present it that way.

M
M
I must have missed this. You blew off everything we had to say about anger, with the excuse that we who aren't newbies can't understand how you feel. What you wanted was commiseration, rather than a recovery plan that works.

End result: no recovery.

I appreciate all the supportive responses. I think this is one of those things where the newbies are able to help more than the vets. I like to hear about people near the same place as me, coming to grips with a 2+ year recovery is extrememly daunting. No offense to the vets, you're advice is valuable, but I KNOW all that stuff, the trouble I'm having is LIVING it, KWIM. I am truly working on it. I understand that every AO or mentioning of the affair is a huge LB and my W has every right to put up a wall to protect herself.

Not to get ahead of myself, but it's been three days since I've been angry (I know, big deal). I know I've been asking alot of my W, but near CONSTANT contact with her has kept me grounded. After a half dozen AO, I can now sense when it's starting to build and immediately stop what I'm doing and switch gears. I'm so thankful that she hasn't yet started working. We love having this kind of access to eachother.

M
OP Offline
M
Wife doesn't want to do it because it's non-MB. I thought as the BH one of my conditions for repairing the M was for my W to commit to a recovery program of MY choice. I guess that's only if my choice is her choice.

The idea is that it should be a good program, one that works.

Right now it appears that you want to handle your resentment by punishing your wife. This won't work, no matter what program it's in.

I'd be curious to see what this other program recommends about resentment. I think you should post it.

You are coming across very angry. You are arguing points I've already made: I realize I was punishing my wife, and even wanted to. I don't want to be that type of person anymore. It's gross. I think I made it clear before your 12-post rant.

I've already been cited for posting non-MB advice so I'll turn down the request. But, it doesn't allow the BS to "wallow" in resentment. It does expect the WS to aknowlege the elephant in the room of resentment and apologize frequently within the first two years as a matter of validating feelings of the BS that were distorted by months or years of gaslighting. It's supposed to encourage feeling safe in the marriage. I don't know.

Me: BH, 36 Military Officer
FWS: 36, repeat offender
Married: Valentine's Day 1998
DD-15/ DS-10
Almost recovered and ahead of schedule
G
G
MM,

Sorry if I missed it, but is your WW not meeting your need for sex, or meeting it as a matter of obligation, or without any desire on WW part?

God Bless
Gamma

M
M
You are coming across very angry. You are arguing points I've already made: I realize I was punishing my wife, and even wanted to. I don't want to be that type of person anymore. It's gross. I think I made it clear before your 12-post rant.

Great. smile

I've already been cited for posting non-MB advice so I'll turn down the request. But, it doesn't allow the BS to "wallow" in resentment. It does expect the WS to aknowlege the elephant in the room of resentment and apologize frequently within the first two years as a matter of validating feelings of the BS that were distorted by months or years of gaslighting. It's supposed to encourage feeling safe in the marriage. I don't know.

That sounds like the psychological approach known as flooding. Flooding is a good approach for overcoming some traumas. But in the case of affairs, it usually only serves to make the resentment last and last.

Prisca did a lot of disrespectful and abusive things to me. She does not apologize for it on a regular basis, though, and I don't apologize to her regularly for my abuse, either. Last week I was triggered into memories of her affair. She didn't even know, because I did not tell her! We have a very happy life and I don't feel any resentment at all.

P
P
It does expect the WS to aknowlege the elephant in the room of resentment and apologize frequently within the first two years as a matter of validating feelings of the BS that were distorted by months or years of gaslighting
This will keep the affair on the front burner and is doomed to fail. Your resentment will not fade, and her resentment over being forced to dwell on mistakes of the past will grow. This IS wallowing.

Your wife is right in refusing to go down that road.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
OP Offline
M
Your real problem is your anger. You believe that other people can make you angry. It makes it impossible to recover your marriage, it will make it impossible to have a good marriage with someone else. It is dangerous for your children, and ultimately it will lead to it being impossible to have a lifestyle that brings you happiness.

I'm reviewing some of the things we previously posted to you about anger management. It looks like you've left all that by the wayside.

You are not the expert and telling me what my real problem is. What if I told you I drink a fifth of alcohol every two days. I never said I didn't. Would alcoholism be my problem? DW thinks that's a real possibility. Dr. Harley thinks I'm suffering from obsessive thinking and need therapy/AD. Is that the real problem? That's where my money is.

I didn't leave anger management by the wayside. I'm working it. Not perfected it...but working it. And I could be wrong, but I think the one recieving the treatment gets to call the Lovebuster. My wife clearly states it is DJ not AO. She continues to call me out when I'm do it, but mostly I know when that is.

DD-15/ DS-10
L
L
Apologies aren't necessary, though. Wouldn't you rather have actions in the form of EPs and meeting each others ENs, and avoiding love busters, working the POJA, than a bunch of "I'm so sorry" 's?

My H apologized numerous times after his first affair. He even declared that the one thing he learned is that the "grass isn't greener." Blah, blah, blah. No EPs, no ENs, continued LBs. The apologies turned out to be a waste of breath.

The apologies the second time around also meant absolutely nothing to me. What I wanted was action. In the end, he became a new man, so to speak. He was remorseful, but I saw it in his actions and not his apologies.

And really, there are no numbers of apologies that will make this up to you or to any BS anyway. The only way to recover from adultery is a new BETTER marriage with new habits. A marriage that is passionate, romantic, and safe.

Or, of course, divorce is a viable option. However, even with divorce, I have seen terribly bitter people who kept talking about the adultery in their marriage even years later.

Even with egregious actions other than adultery, the best way to leave the resentment behind is to stop talking about it. Talking about the problem brings it into the present, no matter what that problem is.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Gamma
MM,

Sorry if I missed it, but is your WW not meeting your need for sex, or meeting it as a matter of obligation, or without any desire on WW part?

God Bless
Gamma
Thanks Gamma,

She's doing really good with those needs. Very willing and very enjoyable. When there is a problem, it's always me and it's rare. But when there is, it's HUGE to me, and it seems to be realted to "position" (not always, but mostly). Complete smack to the face. No matter how high we are flying, the plane crashes. It's like Russian Roulette. Nine times out of ten its heavenly...but that one time, not so much.

DD-15/ DS-10
P
P
I don't want to be that type of person anymore. It's gross.
What are you going to do differently, then?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
Or, of course, divorce is a viable option. However, even with divorce, I have seen terribly bitter people who kept talking about the adultery in their marriage even years later.
You're right. I'd be that guy.

Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
Even with egregious actions other than adultery, the best way to leave the resentment behind is to stop talking about it. Talking about the problem brings it into the present, no matter what that problem is.
Sure. I've never suggested talking about it is a great idea. I'm trying to stop thinking about it. That, LWFH, is in the present.

Not justifying, just explaining: All that crappy resentment I DO suck down and keep to myself, and continue to meet EN and avaid LB. Those I can hide. Then...I get triggered during SF (generally position related and passionate kissing) and there's no hiding the result. I'm embarrased, she's shell shocked. Somebody better say something. I would like for her to say anything. Maybe, "I'm sorry kissing is still difficult for you" or ANYTHING to take at least some ownership of my very obvious "defect". But nothing...just me and my sad excuse for masculity. Then the bad stuff happens (or, better yet...I do bad stuff). All that resentment I've packed in comes flooding out in the form of some pretty nasty DJs.

I'm trying to find the best place to break that cycle. Either I find a way to eliminate resentment, become perfect at not reacting to it, or not engage in the trigger activity (SF). I've been aiming for the third option because it's easy NOT to do something. But it makes for a pretty crappy M which is why I think plan D makes the most sense in the long run(and protects her from DJs and emotional abuse). This is why I'm avoiding her as much as I can and why I'm living in the basement.

My interpretation of Dr. Harley's advice is that it's not resentment per se, but obsessive thinking, which can be helped by appropriate therapy and AD meds.

DD-15/ DS-10
M
OP Offline
M
Here's an aside, in response to Dr. Harley's comment that making an emotional decision would lead to a life of unhappiness:

My wife and I have a saying that we took from the "The Phantom Menace" where Anakin Skywalker asks his mother what he should do (in regard to leaving home). She asks, "What does your heart tell you?" I take it to mean that he should go with the emotional descision.

When I'm approached by life altering decisions, DW always asked me that, and she UNQUESTIONABLY trusted the answer my heart gave. It's actually worked WONDERFULLY so far.

It worked for Anakin too...For a while at least.

DD-15/ DS-10
Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 731 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation