Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 27 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 26 27
W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Is Colorado a low cost of living state? I would think that Texas or Oklahoma would be an easier transition because the COL is very low in addition to very low unemployment. And companies will be busting loose with hiring in February and March. Very few companies are hiring right now.

We aren't only looking in Colorado. My DH is looking all over - Colorado, Oregon, Minnesota, Texas, North Carolina. We know people who live in all of these areas. But we are open to pretty much anything. And most places have a lower COL than So-Cal, so anything would be an improvement over here.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
M
M
Originally Posted by writer1
Is Colorado a low cost of living state? I would think that Texas or Oklahoma would be an easier transition because the COL is very low in addition to very low unemployment. And companies will be busting loose with hiring in February and March. Very few companies are hiring right now.

We aren't only looking in Colorado. My DH is looking all over - Colorado, Oregon, Minnesota, Texas, North Carolina. We know people who live in all of these areas. But we are open to pretty much anything. And most places have a lower COL than So-Cal, so anything would be an improvement over here.

Oh good!! I am glad you are looking everywhere. The COL in OK and Tex is lower than most and the unemployment is very low. For example, you could rent a nice little 3/2/2 around 2000 sq ft in a suburb of OK City or Tulsa for around $1000. You would also have a lot of options for employment because many major companies have offices here.

I am so excited for your future, writer!!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by writer1
We were going to give him until January 1st to either get a job or enroll in school full time. But after the way he's been acting this entire week, I told him today as he was leaving not to bother coming back. He can arrange to come pick up his stuff, but he isn't welcome in my home anymore. He is constantly rude and disrespectful to everyone. I just cannot handle having him live here anymore.

Wow! This is a great step!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
K
K
Here in OKC, you could get a 2 bedroom apt for about $700 or a house for about the same. As far as job hhunting, go to newsok.com and go to the jobs area. Heck, he could get a job working day shift 7-11 for $11 an hour. Is your husband in good enough shape to apply for the police Academy?

I would also tell your son that he has 4 weeks till he has to be out of the house. Help him fill oout the fafsa for college if he wants to go to school.

Last edited by kilted_thrower; 12/08/13 10:27 PM.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

B
B
Even better if you can find a lower cost of living area than So Cal. Great job keeping your options open!

W (me) - 40
H - 44
M 15 years, 2 kids
V
V
Email me if you want me to put you intouch with my old employer - They're hiring call center supervisors/back office call center supervisor.

Ask the mods for my contact info. The jobs are either Ohio or North Carolina, possibly Ontario, CA.

Me: 30
Him: 39
Together 5 years
Married the very best man in the world 04/06/2013 after being common law for too long. I'm a lucky woman.
7 Cats - Viscount Ashley of Leftfield, Pawkie Petunia, The Timinator, Leo the Lionheart, Fruit Snack, Cloud, and Barret
And our very lucky pony, Starbucks
H
H
Oh writer, hubby and I were away for a long weekend together and I just now read about your mom. I'm so sorry. Since it happened so quickly for you, you may or may not have these weird feelings of being so relieved and yet missing her. Taking care of my father for 6 years, I felt so free not to have that burden anymore and yet I also missed him. A weird dichotomy. Praying for your family. Oklahoma or Texas would definitely be a good choice.

E
E
Writer,

what a blessing that your mom was able to have you help her in her final days. It certainly seems that you made the right decision to have her stay where she could get more care, considering how fast her health failed. Your instincts were good.

Best wishes in your next moves, launching your son (however unwillingly) into his adult life, and finding where you will live. Good opportunity to practice POJA. Is his dad in agreement about him moving out?

50+ yo couple enjoying our empty nest.
Young adult kids out on their own.
"Enthusiastic agreement?" is our catch phrase.
M
M
Hey writer, did your 19 yr old son move out at one point and then come back? And I getting your sons confused?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Hey writer, did your 19 yr old son move out at one point and then come back? And I getting your sons confused?

We actually kicked him out at one point and allowed him to move back in when he had nowhere to go. He called us from a gas station one day where he was sitting on his suitcase with nowhere to go.

To say he has issues is a mild understatement. He was diagnosed with ADHD at a very young age, but I've always thought there must be more going on than that. He has learning disabilities and dropped out of high school when he was 17. He's never had a job and has refused to even try going back to school or getting his GED.

I just don't know what to do with him. He's my son. I love him. But I don't know how to help him when he doesn't seem to want to do anything to help himself.

N
N
When you all move, maybe the change in location will be good for him, too. Or maybe this is part of what you need a respite from. Maybe he could stay with your son or daughter out of state for a month to get back on his feet.

My sister was in a similar situation, and I got her a job where I worked, but it didn't help at the time. She though it was ridiculous that she should have to work like that, quit, and tells my family I'm nuts for staying there. Just a totally different mindset. They'll find their way in their own time, but it doesn't have to be on your back in the meanwhile.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
K
K
Writer, please do yourself and your son a favour and do not even entertain the thought of him moving with you.

Honestly, you will have replaced your mother with your son as a drain on your marriage and peace of mind.

Just DON'T do it.

E
E
Hi Writer,

Thinking of you, hope you are doing OK.

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by emilyann
Hi Writer,

Thinking of you, hope you are doing OK.

Hi. Thank you for asking.

I'm hanging in there. I think this is going to be a difficult holiday. It's just now beginning to sink in that this will be my first Christmas without both my grandmother and my mother. If it were up to me, I would just skip the holidays this year, but I can't really do that with a 5-year-old.

Tomorrow is my 20th wedding anniversary. We are going to the Huntington Library and Gardens, a very beautiful museum in Pasadena, then out to dinner. Looking forward to spending the day with my husband.

E
E
Good that you get to spend some time with your husband.

I think a 5 year old could adjust to a pretty low key Christmas celebration.

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by emilyann
I think a 5 year old could adjust to a pretty low key Christmas celebration.

We are definitely going low-key. I bought most of DD5's presents a long time ago, but she's mostly getting art supplies and some movies, a couple little Lego sets. She doesn't really need anymore toys.

I'm going to bake and make fudge on Christmas Eve, but I'm skipping making tamales this year, which is a usually a 2-day project. Christmas morning, we are opening presents, eating breakfast, then hanging out until the afternoon, when we will be going to SIL's house to celebrate with DH's family.

C
C
Happy Anniversary, writer...

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.
N
N
Happy Anniversary, hon, thanks for checking in, I really feel for you going through all this during the holidays.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
E
E
Writer,

Hope 2014 is a wonderful yeast for you and your family.

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks emilyann.

Okay, I have a question, which I think I already know the answer to, but just want a second opinion.

Going through my mom's stuff, I found a large stack of letters that my dad wrote to her, mostly when she was pregnant with me, but a few after I was born as well. To most people, this would be quite a treasure, but as I think most of you know, I was a product of an affair, so these letters were written to my mother while my father was married with three kids.

I probably shouldn't have read them, but I did. They are full of the typical wayward fogbabble. "I love you and only you." "Just be patient." "Don't give up on me." It goes on and on. I felt quite sick while reading them, though I did find out some things I didn't previously know. My father never came out and said he would leave his wife for my mother (though my mother always said that's what he promised to do). My grandmother was actually talking to my father and asking him if he was going to leave his wife and marry her daughter (my mother) - this is the first I ever knew that my grandmother seemingly supported the affair and expected my father to leave his family. My father wanted me to be a boy. My father was giving my mother money throughout her pregnancy, even before she was awarded an order for child support.

My dilemma is, what to do with the letters? I have a hard time believing my mother actually held on to them for 42 years, but she did. I know I should throw them out. I probably will throw them out. But they are literally the only thing I have of my father and about the only information I am likely ever to have about how I came to be. It's a sad story, but it's my story, and it's the only one I've got.

Should I throw them away?

I've been feeling very down and lonely lately. DS19 is in Arizona right now, staying with a friend and trying to find a job, so I'm alone most of the time with DD5 all day while my husband is at work. Not much UA time happening. We did manage to find a baby sitter once last week, but once a week isn't much. Tried contacting the church we used to go to, but they only gave us the name of one girl, and she's leaving in a couple of weeks for college. Asked MIL to baby sit, and she said she might be able to in March sometime. Great help. She's never been one to baby sit (for us at least, she will baby sit SIL's little girl pretty much whenever she asks). I don't have anyone else. I'm feeling very orphaned and alone, realizing how precious little family I actually have left.

It's just hard right now with not much support or really anyone I can talk to about how I'm feeling.

Page 22 of 27 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation