Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19
R
R
Are we allowed to post external links on here for advice on dating? Or were these just missed by the mods?

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
B
B
Originally Posted by Reynolds531
Are we allowed to post external links on here for advice on dating? Or were these just missed by the mods?
You could always hit Notify and ask the MODS.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
J
Originally Posted by BHINWI
I just came back here after some time away. I am surprised that my post has resulted in so many replies!
It was a great dialogue, BHINWI!

Were your questions answered? Got any more juicy kickstarters?

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
J
J
Originally Posted by geroldmodel
I've rewritten my dating profile which i created last year with little or no effect (a paid datingsite).

I've added a picture this time and was more explicit in what I am looking for: to meet intelligent woman who are open and honest.

From that moment on I am receiving one email per week!

Since I am still in Asia for at least another month, this creates an opportunity & a topic for e-mail conversation.

Did not expect response like this...

Good idea to add a picture!

I only respond to men who have at least a few photos. Otherwise, I think, "he's either married, hideously ugly, or a serial killer."

I don't sound pessimistic at all, do I? wink

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
M
M
If I were looking for dates, I would also be checking your height to make sure you were taller than me. That may not be important to some women, but it would be important to me.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
R
Yes. Pictures.

No selfies with your phone or shirt off or with your ex.

Have someone take a few photos of you while you are doing stuff with them and pick a couple where you look like you are active and are like-able to people in general.

K
K
Why would you have a picture of you with your ex on a DATING WEBSITE, anyway?

How do people NOT know that's wrong? If I saw it I'd back off.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
J
J
I'm becoming increasingly irritated with all the married women ookcupid OKCupid.
They list themselves as "single"; and later reveal they are "getting divorced".....

Half of the women I have had messages with are married!

I put the brakes on when I find out, but I get the impression that a man of low repute could get them in the sack pretty easily....

K
K
And then they wonder why they can't find a good man.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
J
J
I am often tempted to just go with these women.
They speak greatly.
But Proverbs warns that the words of an adulteress are as sweet wine, but her path leads to the gates of hell.
We must guard ourselves carefully.

N
N
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
They speak greatly.
But Proverbs warns that the words of an adulteress are as sweet wine, but her path leads to the gates of hell.

Good for you Jedi. You're being a decent honorable person.

A
ak1 Offline
A
They speak greatly.

It can be tempting when you are lonely, especially around the holidays, but don't give in. These women are adulteresses and almost certainly renters. They aren't good for you or your children.

ak

R
R
Probably many of the women are lonely themselves. They are trying to feel attractive and alive in the midst of the sorrow of divorce.
They just don't know how to be alone until the divorce is final.

Steer clear of them but have compassion that many are lovely people.

You want someone who doesn't have to be in a relationship to feel whole.

L
L
Originally Posted by reading

That is certainly true but take care not to confuse this with the court process. In NY state it often takes five years from the time of separation to divorce. That is a long time to be alone. My divorce took six years and would have taken longer if XH had not messed up his appeal (he forgot to ask for a stay). I have a friend whose divorce took nine years. Her husband abandoned her with newborn twin boys and a two year old boy. Believe it or not, the issues were over custody!

A newly divorced person may or may not have recovered enough for a new relationship. Her legal status alone will not give you this information.

N
N
My engagement didn't work out how I had expected. My suggestion is to verify everything you can that someone is telling you. Especially if the person says they are divorced, no matter how honest they sound, even if you've met their family, before getting serious, check the public record to make sure that's correct.

faint

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
R
R
Great advice NewEveryDay.

Sorry about the engagement, but, indeed you found out in time! Phew!

I
I

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
If I were looking for dates, I would also be checking your height to make sure you were taller than me. That may not be important to some women, but it would be important to me.

Me too. It's why I had to go online. My friends were trying to set me up with shorties - and telling me it shouldn't matter! Good grief, it's like not liking mushrooms, you either do or you don't.

My bf is six-foot and his shoulder is in JUST the right place for snuggling.

I'm becoming increasingly irritated with all the married women ookcupid OKCupid.
They list themselves as "single"; and later reveal they are "getting divorced".....

Half of the women I have had messages with are married!

I put the brakes on when I find out, but I get the impression that a man of low repute could get them in the sack pretty easily....

That drove me crazy too. Because most people don't wait for the divorce that means a very high proportion of online daters are separated.

One of the things I found most attractive about my bf's profile was that he specifically said (briefly and to the point) was that he didn't want to receive messages from anybody who was still married. Not only did I find that appealing, I also kicked myself for not having done it on mine to weed out the time wasters.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
Originally Posted by living_well
Originally Posted by reading

That is certainly true but take care not to confuse this with the court process. In NY state it often takes five years from the time of separation to divorce. That is a long time to be alone. My divorce took six years and would have taken longer if XH had not messed up his appeal (he forgot to ask for a stay). I have a friend whose divorce took nine years. Her husband abandoned her with newborn twin boys and a two year old boy. Believe it or not, the issues were over custody!

A newly divorced person may or may not have recovered enough for a new relationship. Her legal status alone will not give you this information.

I take your point about a nine year wait for a divorce - that is extreme and deserves compassion but even that type of situation shouldn't translate into behaving as a single person online when you are not.

It is not fair to others who dont want to get mixed up in a divorce, or to come between a separated couple who very often reunite.

It also isn't fair to the person going through a divorce. If I had a friend going through a divorce I would tell them it is a jungle out there and to wait until they could proudly stand tall on their own single feet.

The 'getting divorced' label is a very vulnerable label and you may just as well ring the dinner bell for the vultures. I wouldn't like any divorcing friend of mine to go on to online dating sites.

I didn't do it myself, even when I felt quite happy and healed. It was hard enough keeping the vultures away with high boundaries offline.

If I had a friend who was struggling with the legalities I would tell her to either push the system, throw money at it or wait. It isn't possible to be free without that legal status and an ongoing divorce also disrupts healing because it is so upsetting.

Not the best mindset for dating.

Last edited by indiegirl; 01/01/14 12:04 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
My experience with the 30+ guys I've touched so far is it takes a lot of personal growth and work to change the bad habits of their previous marriage. Very few change and it's the ones who personally validate their mistakes and demonstrate their new habits via actions.

No matter how the first marriage ended ... personal growth, accountability, and better habits will lead you to success.

T
T
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
My engagement didn't work out how I had expected. My suggestion is to verify everything you can that someone is telling you. Especially if the person says they are divorced, no matter how honest they sound, even if you've met their family, before getting serious, check the public record to make sure that's correct.

faint

Yikes. I'm sorry... What happened?

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 973 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation