Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2773004 12/31/13 07:06 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Okay I will try to keep this as brief as I can. I'm 46. Hubby is 43. We are both in our third marriages. My first one ended because of infidelity (mine) of 13 years which produced two children. I have made amends to all parties and asked for forgiveness. I have received. I spent a long time working on myself and learning what caused me to do that etc. My second marriage was 8 years and ended due to many issues-the last was my H admitting he manipulated me for two years by withholding sex. Hubby's first marriage ended because she wanted an open marriage. He didn't. Second one due to infidelity. Hers. He has four children. The last is five. His last wife left when she was 18 months old. He has had full custody since. Birth mom rarely sees her (once in two years). Does not pay support. He supports his other three kids. His first marriage lasted 6 years. Second one two. In between this he lived with a woman six years which produced two of the kids. He's an excellent dad. Mr mom really.

We met and married ratter quickly. Neither of us while married to anyone else. We were together only four months. We have been married now since August and things are falling apart very quickly. We negotiated most things up front or so I believed. I believe we both wanted this marriage to be our last. I have a history of child abuse. Sexual. You name it. Have done recovery but still have some PTSD when stressed. I was up front with him about my past. Including my A in the first marriage. He has some self esteem issues he has said. He never feels good enough. He's very sensitive and emotional. Unlike any man I've ever been with. Which is what attracted me to begin with. Very romantic. Loving. Neither of us are well off financially. He is supporting four kids. One totally before he met me.

We moved in to his small home that he rented. My two kids and I who are with me every other week. It's cramped. The two girls share a room. There's little room for anything. It took a month to move me in and get storage with the five year old starting school etc. we have little help with her. She was also used to having all his attention prior to me coming on the scene. My kids are older. 17 and 12. Much more independent.

Both of us had growing pains. I think him more than me. He's an introvert and when we dated he had down time to himself more than now. He went from being a full time dad to full time dad and husband. Whereas I already had every other week to myself. I'm an extrovert. We began arguing. Horribly. He began to pull away and stop meeting my emotional needs. I began to demand that he do so. Especially since my last H didn't even sleep with me for two years.

A lot of arguments were over text. Which is ridiculous I know. Both of us have made a lot of mistakes. I've apologized and asked for forgiveness. He says he's trying to heal. Right now he will only give me a peck. We haven't had sex in a month. He doesn't hold my hand or compliment me. I admit that all I do is try to talk the problems out. Constantly. Which exhausts him. Counseling has not helped much. At first she was kind of on his side. Then mine. But she suggested separation on out third visit together. I refused. I want to save my marriage.

I suspect my lovebusters are at the root of this. I've bought the book today. There is NO affair that I can find and I have looked. Now though because of my snooping he refuses me access to anything at all. I think some of this is control on his part.

If you read all that. Thank you. I know we married in haste so I can skip the judgments on that if that's ok. I'm in it now and I want it to work. He's very non committal. What's to see changes in my nagging him to meet my needs as he says it. He says he wants to but he can't as he feels judged bad that nothing he dies is good enough. He has also decided I'm a narcissist. My mother was one though and I've sought therapy and I was cleared of that. My kids are healthy. Well adjusted and do well in school. Deep down I'm afraid he's really the narcissist. As a giver I can see how I would be an easy target.

M
M
Hi Sillygirl, welcome to Marriage Builders. I think it is a good idea to start with lovebusters. The fighting is destroying your marriage so that is where I would start. You should also check out this article: How to Create Your Own Plan to Resolve Conflicts and Restore Love to Your Marriage

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I
Originally Posted by sillygirl0803
What's to see changes in my nagging him to meet my needs as he says it. He has also decided I'm a narcissist. My mother was one though and I've sought therapy and I was cleared of that. My kids are healthy. Well adjusted and do well in school. Deep down I'm afraid he's really the narcissist.

You're both lovebusting this marriage to pieces. I don't see any real problems meeting each others needs (it's normal for sex to disappear in this situation) - your true problem is the lovebusters.

Angry Outbursts - if you're too angry to talk you are too angry to text. Plus anger is counter productive. Stop it or there will be nothing left.
Selfish Demands - Stop nagging and start implementing respectful and cheerful requests in which it is acceptable to say 'no'. Eliminate any hint of moodiness or punishment if you don't get your way.
Disrespectful Judgements. - Neither one of you is a 'narcisscist' for heavens sake, you are simply at war with each others' taker. The taker is your (perfectly healthy) selfish side. It is normal for rowing couples to consider only their own taker, instead of each others. Start considering his taker and he will stop fighting for it to be considered.

You need to stop the lovebusting on your side initially. That is the first step.

Welcome aboard.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

G
G
Sillygirl,

A lot of arguments were over text. Which is ridiculous I know. Both of us have made a lot of mistakes. I've apologized and asked for forgiveness

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you implying that the texts are between you and some other men?

And if so are you are using these other men for emotional support to replace the support you should be getting from your H?

Given your H's luck with wives if either is true it must terrify him, texting is not an innocent activity.

God Bless
Gamma

Last edited by Gamma; 12/31/13 10:56 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by Gamma
Sillygirl,

A lot of arguments were over text. Which is ridiculous I know. Both of us have made a lot of mistakes. I've apologized and asked for forgiveness

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you implying that the texts are between you and some other men?
I read that to mean that they use texting to conduct their arguing.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
S
OP Offline
S
Arguments between us over text. No other men. I agree I need to stop the love busting. Now

S
OP Offline
S
I'm so furious right now I could flip. He has had my two oldest keeping DSD the last two days. So we wouldn't have to pay for camp. Which is fine. But they also would like to enjoy their vacation from school too I'm sure. He's started this tactic with me like I'm a mental case. "I'm sure it's frustrating when people don't do what you want them to do". Like I'm a control freak. I'm not. She's five though. I expect her to behave.

She was arguing and screaming in my face so I took her dessert away from her. He's anti spanking. I'm not. I don't believe in beating but a swat I've done with both my kids. Both of them are respectful and make good grades. Anyway I've agreed not to spank her. So I text him to tell him she lost her dessert. I got home before he did. That's his only punishment. I say yes okay but I don't like being screamed at in my face by a five year old at the top of her lungs. I get back for him. "Yes I know it's frustrating when people don't do what you tell them to do".

What? She's five. I'm the parent in charge. It's like he's mocking me. I'm seriously losing it here. I think he WANTS me to leave.

L
L
She was arguing and screaming in my face so I took her dessert away from her. He's anti spanking. I'm not. I don't believe in beating but a swat I've done with both my kids. Both of them are respectful and make good grades. Anyway I've agreed not to spank her. So I text him to tell him she lost her dessert. I got home before he did. That's his only punishment. I say yes okay but I don't like being screamed at in my face by a five year old at the top of her lungs. I get back for him. "Yes I know it's frustrating when people don't do what you tell them to do".

What? She's five. I'm the parent in charge. It's like he's mocking me. I'm seriously losing it here. I think he WANTS me to leave.

Your children are reflecting back on to you both the behaviour they have witnessed.

Please stop the texts. Those can be so badly misunderstood. I read that comment quite differently; that it was meant to reassure you.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
S
OP Offline
S
When he came home though it was clear that he meant it exactly the way I thought. Like I'm a mental patient.

Thanksgiving weekend we went to visit my father. He is an alcoholic that's been sober 40 years. He left my abusive mother though and left me there with her knowing what she would do to me. He couldn't take it.

I have only recently in the past years confronted him with how hurt I feel about him doing this. He refuses responsibility. He's never really been there for me but I've turned to keep a relationship with him since he's my dad.

The weekend turned out badly. My dad got mad at me. Cursed me in front of my husband and kids. Told me I was a crazy [censored] like my mom and that I needed to get off my pity pot for being molested. My husband didn't really defend me. I cried the five hours back home without being supported. He didn't hug me or make my horror and sadness a priority. They left me in the car and went in to eat. While I cried. I told them I felt like I was treated like dog crap. He tells me last night that I'm self absorbed because I wanted that to be about ME. Well. Yeah. Kinda. I was the one cursed by my dad. I would have liked my family to console me. I don't know how that makes me self absorbed.

I'm human. I have wants and needs like everyone else that deserve to be met. Why do I need to feel guilty for that? How does that make me self absorbed?

L
L
When he came home though it was clear that he meant it exactly the way I thought. Like I'm a mental patient.

Thanksgiving weekend we went to visit my father. He is an alcoholic that's been sober 40 years. He left my abusive mother though and left me there with her knowing what she would do to me. He couldn't take it.

I have only recently in the past years confronted him with how hurt I feel about him doing this. He refuses responsibility. He's never really been there for me but I've turned to keep a relationship with him since he's my dad.

The weekend turned out badly. My dad got mad at me. Cursed me in front of my husband and kids. Told me I was a crazy [censored] like my mom and that I needed to get off my pity pot for being molested. My husband didn't really defend me. I cried the five hours back home without being supported. He didn't hug me or make my horror and sadness a priority. They left me in the car and went in to eat. While I cried. I told them I felt like I was treated like dog crap. He tells me last night that I'm self absorbed because I wanted that to be about ME. Well. Yeah. Kinda. I was the one cursed by my dad. I would have liked my family to console me. I don't know how that makes me self absorbed.

I'm human. I have wants and needs like everyone else that deserve to be met. Why do I need to feel guilty for that? How does that make me self absorbed?

This is going to sound brutal. We all have baggage here so you are not hearing this from someone who has not walked in your shoes.

If you do not want to be treated as the mental patient, don't play the pity card. You cannot have it both ways. Your father abandoned you. When my mother tried to abandon me (a second time), I looked her in the eye and told her she could not do that. Work on solving the problems or have nothing to do with your father. Either way works.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
A
A

It is important with MB that the past is in the past, when it comes to bringing up family abuse and letting it harm your marriage.

Your husband's comments were disrespectful (DJ) and hurtful. Consider this - what happened in your childhood, happened in your childhood.

You are supposed to honour your marriage above all others. You continue to force a relationship with your father, despite that he is a poor father, and subsequently subject your husband and children to your anger/emotions from your father's abuse. You CAN stop a relationship with your father, thereby removing one of the many stressors that lead to disrespect in your marriage, but you choose not to. The term 'pity party' is disrespectful. It seems though, that your husband is also frustrated that you are subjecting yourself to a situation which he cannot help you. That seems unfair to him too, no?

Have you read the step-parent materials on the website?

A
A
He says he wants to but he can't as he feels judged bad that nothing he does is good enough.

As I read your original post and your subsequent posts, I came to the same conclusion before I realized that he said this overtly (there was a typo and it didn't stick out). It appears that your husband is withdrawing because he feels he cannot make you happy.

Instead of constantly trying to talk about your problems, have you considered using UA time (undivided attention - dating) to fall back in love?

3rd marriage also means both coming in with terrible habits - use this as an opportunity to learn to break those habits. People divorced twice tend to not be the best at saving marriages, correct? You can fix this, but it will be about changing decades long habits.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by alis

It is important with MB that the past is in the past, when it comes to bringing up family abuse and letting it harm your marriage.

Your husband's comments were disrespectful (DJ) and hurtful. Consider this - what happened in your childhood, happened in your childhood.

You are supposed to honour your marriage above all others. You continue to force a relationship with your father, despite that he is a poor father, and subsequently subject your husband and children to your anger/emotions from your father's abuse. You CAN stop a relationship with your father, thereby removing one of the many stressors that lead to disrespect in your marriage, but you choose not to. The term 'pity party' is disrespectful. It seems though, that your husband is also frustrated that you are subjecting yourself to a situation which he cannot help you. That seems unfair to him too, no?

Have you read the step-parent materials on the website?

Here's the ironic part. I decided to end my relationship with my dad because of this. My husband doesn't want me to burn that bridge because he thinks I will regret it. I do not think I will. He wants to maintain a speaking relationship with them for the sake of my kids. Because he says my folks are good to the grand kids (although I disagree because he doesn't respect their mother) He says he will be glad to take them to their house for visits if I don't.

S
OP Offline
S
He says he wants to but he can't as he feels judged bad that nothing he does is good enough.

As I read your original post and your subsequent posts, I came to the same conclusion before I realized that he said this overtly (there was a typo and it didn't stick out). It appears that your husband is withdrawing because he feels he cannot make you happy.

Instead of constantly trying to talk about your problems, have you considered using UA time (undivided attention - dating) to fall back in love?

3rd marriage also means both coming in with terrible habits - use this as an opportunity to learn to break those habits. People divorced twice tend to not be the best at saving marriages, correct? You can fix this, but it will be about changing decades long habits.

He's not committed to MB. Although I told him I thought it would help. At this point here are his requests.

No texting at work. No arguing in front of the kids or where they can hear. (We are both guilty of these two). No discussing our problems to death.

He feels exhausted and overwhelmed with my need to talk it out. He was full of words when we connected often blowing my phone up with long emotional loving words. I am more than happy to try UA. But he's not even open to kissing or holding my hand. He doesn't want to date more than once a month. Like a real date. I'm ok with that as long as we can have a couple of hours to ourselves every night.

Part of the problem is him being unwilling to set boundaries with DSD. As in "honey we would like to get dinner ready and catch up with each other for the day. Why don't you play in your room until dinner is ready?" Or various other things to build in pockets of time. He's not with his other kids as much as he would like so he's pouring all his love for all four into this one. Unhealthy for him to get his needs met this way. Unhealthy for her.

His idea right now of UA is watching TV together after she goes to bed. I would much prefer cuddling on the couch or having SF. He's not open to me meeting those needs.

He says for me to BACK off and let him come to me once he feels he has "healed" from the arguments we have had. That panics me because my Taker hasn't had my needs met in a while and I'm emotionally vomiting.

I've read how to improve your marriage without talking about it. It talks about shame. He feels shamed. I know. He says stop shaming me about not meeting your needs because I want to. I just can't due to the arguing.

He's so different from any mam I've been with. Dated. Most if them would be thrilled to have a wife who wants to connect with SF. Or who doesn't put the kids above them. He's the exact opposite. I feel doomed to fail.

B
B
Here's a good show on gaming.
Radio Clip on Gaming
Segment #2
Segment #3

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

I
I
If you keep your father in your life, simply because he is your father and for no other reason - then that is the only standard he needs to live up to. Your father is living down to your low standards. If he doesn�t have to do anything for you but hold a biological father title, then he won't do anything!

I agree it was a missed opportunity for your husband to console and comfort you, but I am wondering if it would have made any difference to the situation going forward if he had.
The situation sounds like it was an unpleasant experience for him too and one he has very little control over. Have you and your H truly PoJA'd the decision to visit a father who behaves in this way? Perhaps your H does not like the experience any more than you do but hasn't been given a chance to cast his vote.

Again, the decision to punish your daughter has to be PoJA'd. No spanking without joint agreement. If that is the deal, you did the right thing by abstaining. Why go on and complain to your H about what you really wanted to do, after that? It was, again, a missed opportunity for him to sympathise with your frustration but if he is in withdrawal after all the lovebusting then it is natural for him to be aloof.

You can request, cheerfully and respectfully, if he could comfort you more when you are upset. Wait until you are calm until you ask this. He is likely to come back with his own complaints, so be prepared for that. It may be that he doesn�t like the arguments with dad and your complaining about it when you have to PoJA discipline. So just thank him cheerfully for his useful complaints and try to work on them. This is the way you clean up your side of the street and demonstrate by example how you would like your complaints to be met.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by indiegirl
If you keep your father in your life, simply because he is your father and for no other reason - then that is the only standard he needs to live up to. Your father is living down to your low standards. If he doesn�t have to do anything for you but hold a biological father title, then he won't do anything!

I agree it was a missed opportunity for your husband to console and comfort you, but I am wondering if it would have made any difference to the situation going forward if he had.
The situation sounds like it was an unpleasant experience for him too and one he has very little control over. Have you and your H truly PoJA'd the decision to visit a father who behaves in this way? Perhaps your H does not like the experience any more than you do but hasn't been given a chance to cast his vote.

Again, the decision to punish your daughter has to be PoJA'd. No spanking without joint agreement. If that is the deal, you did the right thing by abstaining. Why go on and complain to your H about what you really wanted to do, after that? It was, again, a missed opportunity for him to sympathise with your frustration but if he is in withdrawal after all the lovebusting then it is natural for him to be aloof.

You can request, cheerfully and respectfully, if he could comfort you more when you are upset. Wait until you are calm until you ask this. He is likely to come back with his own complaints, so be prepared for that. It may be that he doesn�t like the arguments with dad and your complaining about it when you have to PoJA discipline. So just thank him cheerfully for his useful complaints and try to work on them. This is the way you clean up your side of the street and demonstrate by example how you would like your complaints to be met.

Useful complaints? There is no poJA as he's not interested in MB. My thinking is that if he wants me to raise her. Be left alone with her then he should consider my thoughts on punishment as well.

I was sick last night. I have bad fibro. My knees are my primarily source of pain. Not one ounce of sympathy from him or caring.

Is this something I can bring about by removing love busters? Will he become more concerned?

He was uncomfortable. Not with going but with what happened. He said there's a lot of hurt on both sides. My dads included. That he is probably angry with himself and taking it out on me. I don't care as he called me a [censored] in front of my kids. I'm done with that relationship.

Part of the issue is that he doesn't understand the level of dysfunction I grew up with. Even though DSD mom was in and out of foster care and abused. I'm wondering if he was able to comfort her???

A
A
Does he have to understand?

I grew up in dysfunction and my H did not. I cannot truly understand what it was like growing up without it, so I don't see why he would with it. He's your 3rd husband, you guys have several children, why is it even necessary that he should understand the dysfunction you grew up with? You are a grown woman with children, do you realize that staying in the past results in your children being forced through dysfunction?

You cannot change the past, so why are you allowing it to help ruin a 3rd marriage? It isn't going to change.

Do you understand that POJA is just both of you being enthusiastic about a decision together? He is not okay with that?

Last edited by alis; 01/02/14 10:55 AM.
A
A
Overall, I'm seeing that you resent him greatly for not doing what you want him to do. He does not console you like you expect, he does not discipline the way you expect, he does not want to do SF/UA time like you expect. Here is where POJA is going to help, because it's time to set expectations you BOTH agree on, rather than expecting him to behave to your demands, and him withdrawing from you because you get upset that he does not.

S
OP Offline
S
Overall, I'm seeing that you resent him greatly for not doing what you want him to do. He does not console you like you expect, he does not discipline the way you expect, he does not want to do SF/UA time like you expect. Here is where POJA is going to help, because it's time to set expectations you BOTH agree on, rather than expecting him to behave to your demands, and him withdrawing from you because you get upset that he does not.

How do I broach the subject to PoJa? Right now anything I bring up he sees as controlling.

Yes, I'm resentful I know because before he made me very important and now I'm not. He's resentful as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 69 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation