Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 69 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 68 69
S
S
My H is 11.5 years older than I am.

We both graduated college at the same time (I was 21, he 33) and neither had any assets, and our maturity at the time seemed equivalent.

However, it didn't take long before he started saying often that he "was wiser and that I should listen to him more". Obviously, a HUGE, massive love buster.

Even if there was something I was apologizing for, he'd interrupt me to tell me all the reasons I should be apologizing, that he was older, wiser and I should listen to him more. <gag>

Even now, at 46 vs 57 he is always treating me as if I am the junior person that he has to explain things to.

It may be possible that the age difference was getting through to her in ways you didn't realize?

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 02/11/14 02:47 PM.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
B
OP Offline
B
Sunny, that's an interesting dynamic, because I was always very careful to treat her as my equal. Many many times (to the point of getting frustrated), she would ask me "why" I thought a certain way about something. It was as though I constantly had to explain myself or my motivation for everything. She never believed anything I said or valued my opinion. I honestly don't care about most inane things and have no interest in fighting over dumb things.

It was with the dumbest things, though. She always felt the need to do battle with me over stupid things. I remember one time it was a curtain rod, no lie. I told her I thought we should get a nice one-piece wood one that would last, while she wanted this telescoping cheapie thing that really looked like garbage. A battle ensued and I let her get the cheap one. It eventually broke of course, then I replaced it with the wood one which is still there as far as I know. She could never just take my word for anything, and it's not like I was being a d*ck about it, either. It just got frustrating. I think I told her once or twice "Why can't you just trust what I am saying and not have to make a battle out of it?" Probably shouldn't say things like that but it got very frustrating.

Nothing changes. I am stuck in hell. Every day is the same and I can't escape.
S
S
BlindsidedNM: "Why can't you just trust what I am saying and not have to make a battle out of it?"

She may have been making battles of issues to have it her way sometimes so she didn't feel parented - like she always had to listen to you.

I started feeling that I needed to find any point my H had not made in one of his long teaching explanations in order to contribute to the conversation (show that I could make valid points too) and my H started complaining that I was always one-upping him, even though I was careful to contribute my point conversationally and without a "ha! you missed something" tone.

90% of the conversations with my H were boring because he conversed from the position of explaining instead of an equal exchange. I dreaded going on dates with him because that meant I'd have to listen to his "conversation" all evening.

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 02/11/14 04:16 PM.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
S
S
I highly doubt I will ever want to marry someone more than 5 years out of my age range ever again.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
I highly doubt I will ever want to marry someone more than 5 years out of my age range ever again.

Me either, but there are two young girls involved now. I doubt if I will get married again unless it is to my ex wife.

I should mention that her siblings are 6 and 12 years older than her - very spread apart. Even when she was younger, a lot of her friends were her sister's age (12+ years older). She still has friends my age.

H
H
Originally Posted by BlindsidedNM
Sunny, that's an interesting dynamic, because I was always very careful to treat her as my equal. Many many times (to the point of getting frustrated), she would ask me "why" I thought a certain way about something. It was as though I constantly had to explain myself or my motivation for everything. She never believed anything I said or valued my opinion. I honestly don't care about most inane things and have no interest in fighting over dumb things.

It was with the dumbest things, though. She always felt the need to do battle with me over stupid things. I remember one time it was a curtain rod, no lie. I told her I thought we should get a nice one-piece wood one that would last, while she wanted this telescoping cheapie thing that really looked like garbage. A battle ensued and I let her get the cheap one. It eventually broke of course, then I replaced it with the wood one which is still there as far as I know. She could never just take my word for anything, and it's not like I was being a d*ck about it, either. It just got frustrating. I think I told her once or twice "Why can't you just trust what I am saying and not have to make a battle out of it?" Probably shouldn't say things like that but it got very frustrating.

Excellent stuff to work with here. And, I have a little secret for you; you were being a d*ck.

Viewing things as "dumb, stupid, petty" is a disrespectful judgment on your part.

Now, that doesn't mean that you roll over on everything, or that you don't get an "opinion." What it means is that just because you thing something is "dumb, stupid, inane, cheap" does not mean that she shares your view. And, in the case you presented, the actual solution would have been to either a) buy no curtain rod at all, or b) find a curtain rod you could both enthusiastically agree on.

These are the types of things you can work on learning!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
B
OP Offline
B
I don't think I can disagree with you, really. On any of it. The stuff that she argued about or questioned me on was petty, a lot of it. Things that most people wouldn't imagine getting into an argument about.

The engineer I am working with - whenever his (second) wife calls during our meetings, he always says "that's a great idea" to whatever it is she is telling him on the phone. He has it figured out.

S
S
Blindsided NM: "he always says "that's a great idea" to whatever it is she is telling him on the phone. He has it figured out."

No, he doesn't. That is very condescending. Again, the pretense of knowing better than her but just going along.

B
OP Offline
B
Not going to get into HIS marital situation.

J
J
Have you read the book Love Busters?

This is discussed in the book

B
OP Offline
B
Actually that is one I have not read yet.

J
J
I encourage you to read it.
You may want to watch these videos also:

Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Interview: Bob Meisner, host of It's A New Day interviews Bill and Joyce Harley:

The interview was in several segments.
Link to each segment on YouTube Video below:

Segment 1: How Dr Harley learned to save marriages

Segment 2: His Needs Her Needs

Segment 3 part 1: Her Needs

Segment 3 part 2: Her Needs

Segment 4 part 1: Love Busters

Segment 4 part 2: Love Busters

Segment 4 part 3: Love Busters

Segment 4 part 4: Love Busters

Segment 5 part 1: The Plan

Segment 5 part 2: The Plan

H
H
I don't think I can disagree with you, really. On any of it. The stuff that she argued about or questioned me on was petty, a lot of it. Things that most people wouldn't imagine getting into an argument about.

What is key here, is that while it may have been "petty" to you, or even "most people" they were important enough for your wife to complain about.

THAT is what is important.

And her complaints are opportunities for you to make $LB deposits, or avoid withdrawals. When you treat her complaints as petty, and/or dismiss them, you destroy her love for you.

The engineer I am working with - whenever his (second) wife calls during our meetings, he always says "that's a great idea" to whatever it is she is telling him on the phone. He has it figured out.

Nope. Bad approach. Because eventually, it just leads back to the above behavior. Thus;

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8122_wife.html

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
K
K
Speaking of petty things-- something that irritates me is when the paper towel roll and toilet paper roll is so the loose end under instead of over. My wife thinks this is trivial and dumb. I feel this is the right way they should go. She doesn't feel there is a right way. However, she goes ahead now and puts them like I like them. And I absolutely appreciate it.

That's a lot like the curtain rods. What's important is subjextive. What's trivial and petty is subjective.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

B
OP Offline
B
I guess my point about the curtain rods is that I don't normally get too concerned over stuff like that - I usually let her decide those kinds of things, but I didn't care for the one she was interested in, so I gave her what I thought was a rational, compelling reason why we should consider a different one. She basically said "I don't value your opinion and I want what I want regardless of how you feel about it."

It was very similar to the circular argument we'd get in every 6 months. She'd tell me things like "All you have to do is **** me more and everything would be fine." I would then try to explain why I always felt like I needed to keep my distance because I felt like she was angry at me, and how it did not make me feel attracted to her in that way. To which she'd reply "I'm always mad at you because you do this, this and that, and you just need to do what I want and everything will be fine." Little to no communication beyond that.

She was basically saying "Your needs don't concern me, I am only interested in what YOU can do for ME." She engaged in this pattern a LOT.

Love busters work in both directions, folks.

J
J
The only love busters you can eliminate are yours

P
P
so I gave her what I thought was a rational, compelling reason why we should consider a different one.

Her reasons were just as "rational" and "compelling" as yours.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

S
S
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
It may be possible that the age difference was getting through to her in ways you didn't realize?

Dr Harley really picked up on their age difference in BNM's phone call to the radio show.

He said that when they first got together, there were likely very little problems to be solved but once they got married and had kids, his WW probably became very unhappy quickly whenever issues arose and BNM wasn't able to resolve them, on his own, since he was older - and he frequently see this issue with an older H/younger W.

He said that he and Joyce "grew up" together and have learned to problem solve together - and pointed out this is a very different dynamic.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
B
OP Offline
B
Does our age difference mean that there is no hope? Dr. Harley's methods won't work for us? Because that is the subtext that I am starting to get.

J
J
Does our age difference mean that there is no hope? Dr. Harley's methods won't work for us? Because that is the subtext that I am starting to get.

Your marriage could work if you both followed MB rules

Page 34 of 69 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 68 69

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 462 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation