Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2784629 02/21/14 12:43 AM
I
OP Offline
I
I'm new to all this...but here is a brief run down of how I have gotten here. My ninth wedding anniversary would be coming up in two weeks. We have two boys 7 & 11 yrs old. My husband and I met and were engaged after 6 months. I insisted on a long engagement, so we moved in together and lived together for 2 years before we married. Money was always a struggle during the marriage. I worked a lot to keep up afloat while he only had a part time job. Eventually he began working full time and would disappear for days on end. I suspect that is when his first affair began. He always insisted on controlling the purse strings during the entire marriage, but things would get frustrating when the money never seemed to add up to the amount that he said he was working.

A few years ago I received an email from a girl that we used to go to church with stating that he was having an affair and that she felt it was the right thing to tell me. I never was able to confirm it with real evidence. I think at that point, being that I had just had my second son I didn't want to know if it was true. I never imagined he could do that to me. Then about 2 1/2 years ago our very close friend confronted me and told me that she had a "special relationship" with him as well. She told me that he had bad mouthed me to her, told her that all I do is work, that I'm a horrible wife and bad mother. This all happened right before a big sports trip. I was so upset and hurt but I knew I had to save face and go ahead with the trip for my son. I insisted that when we got back we had to go to counseling or we could not continue.

We started counseling. I never really felt that we got much from it. He would never admit what he had done and I became more and more angry with him for not admitting. After almost 2 years of counseling (Feb '13) the husband (my husband's former best friend) texted me that he had confirmed that my husband and his wife did indeed have an affair and that he had divorced her. I felt vindicated. The whole time he had told me I was crazy to believe her. I became more and more withdrawn from him. He still even with counseling would not admit to it. Only admitted to bad mouthing me to her.

The final straw was when in August of last year a neighbor came across the street and accused him of having an affair w/his wife. Again, my husband said that the neighbor was crazy and lying and I was crazy to believe it. I kicked him out that night. We remained close, but he moved in with his grandparents. He would tell me he loved me, acted like he was desperate to restore the marriage.

I was very close to asking him to go back to counseling with me and possibly move back in when my son told me his dad had a girlfriend. Over night he completely switched into a different human being. I found out through phone records, bank records, emails,etc... He had been on every disgusting dating site you can imagine for some time. I even paid for one of them. He has a pregnant girlfriend in San Diego (he claims not his baby, that she's a surrogate), he had stolen our tax return and drained the bank accounts, maxed out the credit cards and removed me as a user from all of them, drained his retirement, and had been stashing money in different accounts that I never even knew existed. I keep finding out more day by day. I have finally forced myself to stop looking because the more I find out the more ill I become by it.

I filed for divorce. He is desperate to get the divorce completed as soon as possible. Even signed over custody of the children to me without batting an eye. I feel completely lost. I don't want this divorce. I want my husband back. I want the man I married to do right by our family and right his wrongs. I know I was not a perfect wife. I did work a lot, I thought I was doing the right thing to keep us afloat. I'm willing to make whatever changes I have to, even re-locate if need be. I don't know what to do at this point. Please help.

M
M
Hi hotmess!

Good to see you here.

You will need to expose and others who have had to consider D will be along shortly to discuss the time frame of that. Since your H has already tried to wreck you financially but is complying with your financial requests ATM you may to take that into consideration.

Can you give an update on what was decided upon with the lawyer and what your WH signed and agreed to?

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you

I have told our friends and family in common (some of them) what he has done. I went on the defensive when he painted himself out to be the victim and spun a story that when I kicked him out he was so desperate for affection he went on dating sites and only went on one date w/the preg gf (all proven to be lies). When I found out about the preg. gf three weeks ago I had immediately began contacting her. He states that she no longer wants anything to do with him. But I was able to see via phone records that they are still in contact.

He is complying with most requests at this time. He signed over full legal and physical custody to me w/ every other weekend visits to him. He agreed to $500 a month in child support (but claims that is way too much), to pay off all debt that he accrued in exchange for not having to pay back the money he stole. He paid $5,000 of the tax money that he took. He agreed to this on the basis that I would no longer contact the preg. gf and "stress her out in her condition".

Attorney is telling me that the biggest deal was getting him to sign off on custody to me, that I can always go back and get more child support at any time and that is much easier to have adjusted than custody.

He went out and bought a brand new car last weekend. I assume to be able to see the gf since she lives a couple of hours away.

I have always been in contact with him, but I'm hearing from friends that shouldn't be the case. His family picks up the boys from school for me daily, they have them from 3-5 till I am off work, so I have to either see them or him mon-fri for the exchange.

M
M
Here is some reading for you tonight, most posters won't be back until tomorrow:

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2566583#Post2566583

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

M
M
Don't do anything yet though! Just hang tight and we can come up with a solid plans once some folks who are more familiar with the D process come along....

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

M
M

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

J
J
In your case divorce would be a good choice.
Dr Harley would probably encourage you to Plan B, which means having no contact with him during divorce process and even after divorce.

M
M
Hi itsahotmess, welcome to Marriage Builders. I agree that divorce would be the definition of success in your situation. Your husband is committed to a way of life that will always include affairs. He seeks them out. This makes him a dangerous person to you.

I think you are doing the right thing in getting divorced, but I would take it a step farther and cut off all contact with him. Staying in contact with him will keep you depressed and sad.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
R
We understand you want the marriage you thought you were in.

Your H has met a couple of your most important emotional needs.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3300_needs.html

You will feel sad for a while as you heal from the betrayals.

B
B
Welcome to MB, hotmess.

You said you do not want a divorce but I would proceed. Your WH is a trainwreck. You need to get yourself and your boys out of this situation while he is cooperating.

I assume the $500/mo child support is below the state guidelines. Assuming you are in CA, you can request to increase at anytime so I agree with your lawyer that it is best to focus on getting a solid custody arrangement that is in your favor. I would strongly suggest you add a morals clause if you don't have one and include that when WH has the boys that he can not have overnight female guests (other than family). You don't need your boys seeing random skanks come in and out the door. Even if you get this condition for one or two yrs it is better than nothing. You can use the one/two yr timeframe as allowing time for the boys to adjust to the divorce. Any other concerns while he is in possession of your boys should be addressed too...watching R-rated movies, M-rated video games etc.

Since WH could move to be close to the pregger ho, make sure that he is to pickup and return the boys to you. Do not put yourself in a position where you have to drive back and forth. Put the burden on him.

Do you own a home together? That he has gone and bought a car, blown $ and is willing to take on all the debt, I would not be surprised if he plans to file bankrupcty.

That he wants the divorce ASAP and for you to not bother pregger ho...use that as your leverage if you need to add anymore protections into the divorce settlement.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you all for the responses.

What do you all think about doing the exposure? He is spinning this story to all friends and family that he is the victim in all of this. It's infuriating to me. Even more infuriating he is spinning the same version to the kids. The kids are hurting. He took them out for ice cream and told them his version - "just went on one date with the girl, it didn't mean anything, the girl helps people have babies for a living, mommmy doesn't want daddy back so it's all mommy's fault".

Additionally, I'm concerned if his preg. gf is actually a surrogate there is a couple out there who has a baby that is at risk. My WH admitted to having unprotected sex with her on more than one occasion. I have the hotel bills from them shacking up as well.

The $500/mo child support is WAY below the CA state standard, but that was part of the bargaining the attorney told me to use. I was assured that as soon as the divorce is final I can immediately go in and request more. I can barely keep my boys and I afloat on that. I made sure to include that he cannot remove them from the county w/out written permission and he is responsible for drop off and pick up on his weekends. I do need to add a more detailed morality clause, there is not much language in there about introducing the boys to the gf or any future gf's.

We never owned a home together. He moved out of the apartment that we rented. I discovered he took out a loan on 2/1/14 and swears he is using that money to pay off all debt that he accrued behind my back and that I am not financially liable for that loan. However, with the spending he has been doing (2 new cell phones, new tablet, new car, etc) I don't see how that is possible. He does have no rent to pay at the moment since he is living off his grandparents.

Any advice on how to cut off communication? He and I have always been in daily contact after the separation and even now after all this information came to light and the divorce has been filed. Every time I communicate with him regarding the kids I feel more and more upset. Prior to getting caught it was all "i love yous" and lots of friendly back and forth, as though we were working things out. Now that he has been caught he goes out of his way to be hurtful during communications.

Last edited by itsahotmess2014; 02/21/14 03:48 PM.
J
J
At this point, I would not expose without first consulting your attorney.
You want that custody agreement to be signed and sealed!

Focus on getting custody and a good settlement.
I wouldnt do anything to rock the affair boat if it would negatively affect the custody

M
M
Originally Posted by itsahotmess2014
Thank you all for the responses.

What do you all think about doing the exposure? He is spinning this story to all friends and family that he is the victim in all of this. It's infuriating to me. Even more infuriating he is spinning the same version to the kids. The kids are hurting. He took them out for ice cream and told them his version - "just went on one date with the girl, it didn't mean anything, the girl helps people have babies for a living, mommmy doesn't want daddy back so it's all mommy's fault".

I wouldn't let your kids believe this. Tell them the truth about his affairs, and let them know that it is not okay for married people to go on dates with anyone besides each other. The idea that this is somehow okay because he "just went on one date with the girl," as if that's something normal married people actually do, is ridiculous - and a horrendous thing to tell your own child. They deserve to hear a sane perspective from the only decent parent they've got.

I would tell the rest of the family as well - you need support. Some will choose not to support you, but you should get the truth out there.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2784758 02/21/14 03:58 PM
J
J
if daily communication is upsetting you then Dr. Harley would recommend that you enter "Plan B," in which there is no contact except through a neutral intermediary (IM).

Harley would encourage you to be honest with your kids and certainly your family. But I wouldnt expose to the OW side because waywards will give up more in a divorce to be with the affair partner. If he lost that, he may decide he wants custody and you dont want that.

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight

I wouldnt do anything to rock the affair boat if it would negatively affect the custody

That is my concern. If I go nuclear and lose my leverage and he may try to fight me for custody. He did already sign off on full custody to me, but I'm terrified until it is signed and stamped and completely final.

Is the best bet to remain tight lipped until after the D process is final? It seems so unfair, but I know I have to be smart about all of this.

I
OP Offline
I
if daily communication is upsetting you then Dr. Harley would recommend that you enter "Plan B," in which there is no contact except through a neutral intermediary (IM).

Harley would encourage you to be honest with your kids and certainly your family. But I wouldnt expose to the OW side because waywards will give up more in a divorce to be with the affair partner. If he lost that, he may decide he wants custody and you dont want that.

How do I go about choosing an IM? I hate to burden anyone with something like that but at this point, for my own sanity it sounds like the best idea.

B
B

I would not expose until your divorce papers are signed and sealed. How long ago did you file? I'm pretty sure CA is one of those states where you can still enter the decree even if the minimum time has not lapsed and then just wait for the "official" date. If you only have to deal with him short term you may just want to tough it out and limit your contact as much as possible. There's no reason to talk to him every day but I would not go into Plan B just yet if him signing is just around the corner.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
M
M

This was the advice I have been giving her. It's very hard for hotmess to wait right now because he is spreading vicious rumors about her behind her back and spinning the story (not that this is shocking).

hotmess ~ did the attorney give you an idea of how long before the D is final?

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

B
B
Originally Posted by itsahotmess2014
Additionally, I'm concerned if his preg. gf is actually a surrogate there is a couple out there who has a baby that is at risk.

I would not believe this story for a min. Worry about your kiddos...they are the priority.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by black_raven

I would not expose until your divorce papers are signed and sealed. How long ago did you file? I'm pretty sure CA is one of those states where you can still enter the decree even if the minimum time has not lapsed and then just wait for the "official" date. If you only have to deal with him short term you may just want to tough it out and limit your contact as much as possible. There's no reason to talk to him every day but I would not go into Plan B just yet if him signing is just around the corner.

I filed a few weeks ago. I was told the mandatory 6 mo waiting period begins from the day he was served (2/12/14). So the absolute soonest that the divorce can be finalized is 8/12/14.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ian T), 1,152 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation